HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wheeler a Bruin on July 1

Old
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because the attitude he's already displayed lends itself to becoming a headache rather quickly.

I can't imagine he'll "be happy" being in the minors.
i don't see it.

he didn't want to play for the dogs and turned down big money to go somewhere else. it's a business decision in a business world.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post
Maybe Wheeler only wanted to be on the east coast? He was only talking with eastern conference teams so being on the east coast must have something to do with his decision.

And I'm sure Kessel being there was another factor as to why Wheeler chose Boston

But I hear ya I wouldn't mind to call Phoenix home
I guess the east coast is a more comfortable lifestyle with less travelling, especially in the AHL. Perhaps he also wanted to avoid meeting Gretzky again.

The speculated Kessel factor doesnt make too much sense since Phoenix had Peter Mueller and Keith Ballard. These factors you can say about Boston are also true of Phoenix. Nothing coming out of his agent's mouth sounds authentic yet.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:15 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae44 View Post
No IM not saying its not a great pickup. Hell I wish the Canucks would of landed this guy. Its just you would think he would want to be in the NHL next year right? He could of went to any of the 30 teams he wanted to, he left College early must think he has a great chance of playing in the NHL next year. So for him to pick Boston then end up in the AHL I think it would be funny.
I think Providence had a lot do do with his decision. His agent pointed to the Bruins development of young players as a reason Wheeler chose boston. If you take a look the Providence Briuns amazing season last year and their roster coming into this year there is a lot that would be attractive to a young player looking to get a taste of professional hockey.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

a fifth pick is not a number 1 or 2....but to have a #5 pick, and come up empty, that must sting the organization more than just a bit in damaging the rebuild process..

they do have compensation now though???

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
a fifth pick is not a number 1 or 2....but to have a #5 pick, and come up empty, that must sting the organization more than just a bit in damaging the rebuild process..

they do have compensation now though???
I was under the impression that they'd get a second regardless of where or when he was to sign... IB might know better.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:44 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
They get the 35th pick in the 2008 draft, everyone after that pick gets bumped down a spot.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:49 AM
AgentM

Good for the B's and good for Wheeler to end up somewhere that he's happy. But will this start a trend of young players deciding to go where they want rather than show some loyalty to the team that originally wanted them?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:51 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Wheeler was an exception, he used a loophole in the CBA to become un-restricted. Normally if a player doesn't sign with the team that drafted him, he goes back into the draft. So he really can't choose where he plays.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
Would you want to play NHL hockey in Phoenix? No? Didn't think so
I would rather play hockey in Phoenix to be honest. Not only is there better opportunity on the roster, but the chance to be coached by one of the greatest players of all-time in probably the most beautiful city in America. What's not to like about that?

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 008 View Post
I would rather play hockey in Phoenix to be honest. Not only is there better opportunity on the roster, but the chance to be coached by one of the greatest players of all-time in probably the most beautiful city in America. What's not to like about that?
When you put it that way, I'll have to say "ditto". E5

Of course, that's not an indictment against Boston. E1

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It appears the only place Wheeler is going to win any public relations accolades is Boston, and that's understandable. That being said, he and his agent are playing by the rules, Wheeler seems like a level-headed kid, and at least on the surface is not against getting some additional seasoning in the minors.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:27 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Because the attitude he's already displayed lends itself to becoming a headache rather quickly.

I can't imagine he'll "be happy" being in the minors.
what attitude?

so what, he didnt want to sign in Pho. so he didnt.

its not like he held out, reneged on a contract, whine in the media about not wanting to play there.

he had the option of not signing, and he chose it.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
PhoPhan

He also said he wanted to sign with Phoenix and it was up to the Coyotes to make it happen. After they offered him more money than any other team could, Wheeler skipped town. Now it looks like he'll be signing with a team in almost the exact same circumstance, citing recent development of young players and a bright future as reasons. Well, last time I checked, the Coyotes have a whole bunch of talented youth on the roster, and there are few teams with as bright a future.

It just seems suspicious, is all.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He also said he wanted to sign with Phoenix and it was up to the Coyotes to make it happen. After they offered him more money than any other team could, Wheeler skipped town. Now it looks like he'll be signing with a team in almost the exact same circumstance, citing recent development of young players and a bright future as reasons. Well, last time I checked, the Coyotes have a whole bunch of talented youth on the roster, and there are few teams with as bright a future.

It just seems suspicious, is all.
and I agree with you, for the most part, it sucks and I think teams that go through the hassel of drafting players and such should hold their rights - and this loophole, imo, should be fixed - but that isn't to say that Boston hasn't had some good young prospects, either.

But he did skip town, so it wasn't about the money; there might just be something that we don't know about.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Kitpou*

I don't know why this is stickied it really isn't official, is it?

Kitpou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
and I agree with you, for the most part, it sucks and I think teams that go through the hassel of drafting players and such should hold their rights - and this loophole, imo, should be fixed - but that isn't to say that Boston hasn't had some good young prospects, either.

But he did skip town, so it wasn't about the money; there might just be something that we don't know about.
That's exactly my point.

I have nothing against Boston. I understand why a prospect might want to play there. What I don't understand, however, is why a prospect would sacrifice a whole lot of money to play there instead of Phoenix. I know it's not all about the money, and in some ways that's refreshing, but I don't see what Boston can offer that Phoenix cannot, at least based on what Wheeler and his agent have said over the past few weeks. It just doesn't add up, and I'm not sure it ever will. I really wish someone could get some comments out of Wheeler.

Old
06-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Kaktus*

Almost 22 years old. With no NHL experience, maybe he is a late bloomer?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 008 View Post
No offense - but it's where YOU would rather play. Obviously - Wheeler feels different, and the hate in this thread (not you specifically) is really amazing to me.

The max contract that Wheeler can sign with BOS will cost him at least $400K in signing bonus alone. That's a big deal if he's playing in the AHL this year, so I'm not sure if I understand the hate from the non-Yotes posters. I completely understand why the Yotes fans are pissed, but he was only following the rules as established by the NHL, and it's costing him pretty substantially to do it.

And on a different subject - I've been to PHO several times and if you think that it's the "most beautiful city in America" you really need to get out more.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:07 AM
PhoPhan

I go back and forth every day on how I feel toward Wheeler on the matter, but ultimately I need to hear the rest of the details before I can say with certainty if he is worthy of our loathing.

That said, the Coyotes and their fans have every right to be upset regardless. The loophole that Wheeler and his agent exploited should never have been there in the first place.

Old
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
They got a top 5 pick, but in reality no better than a 2nd rounder. Let's not make this more than what it is.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Beukeboom Fan

I put this in another thread - the 7 guys who were drafted after Wheeler:

Montoya
Olesz
Picard
Smid
Valabik
Tukonen
Thelen

It's not like PHO passed up on 10 great players to take Wheeler. The only guys on that list that have more value than the 35th pick are Olesz & Smid.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

This, with the news of Soderberg coming to camp this summer, gives the Bruins a lot of youth to choose from. The future is finally looking bright in Boston.
Just because Soderberg is coming to camp, don't go making plans to venture down to Providence to see him play.

He was in the Blues' camp a year after he was drafted; they assigned him to Peoria, and he skipped off home crying about how he didn't want to play in the AHL.

The kid doesn't want to pay his dues, and he (or his agent) thinks he should be handed an NHL roster spot because he had a couple of decent seasons playing for his hometown team in the Allsvenskan, a.k.a. the Swedish version of the AHL.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Bruin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive View Post
Hopefully he is just another bust.

just like all those leaf picks eh lol

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Bruin72

Quote:
What? Based on What? Where he was drafted?

I understand some of his raw measurables look good, but what has he actually done? Nothing.

Thats why hes called a prospect-wait and see!!!!

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Bruwinz37

I can understand why Phoenix fans feel the way they do...and I understand their suspicions, but I think they will likely find out that having the 35th pick in this draft is not really a bad thing. I am not sure Wheeler is a sure bet to be anything more than a 20g, 30a guy at his max production. He may surprise me, but I am certainly not blown away with what he did in NCAA.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote