HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forgot about Lindros...Glenn Anderson deserves to be in the HHOF!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
  #1
pritz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Forgot about Lindros...Glenn Anderson deserves to be in the HHOF!

Growing up in Edmonton with the Oilers (I'm now 38), I saw all these young Oilers come together and grow together and somehow Anderson got lost in all of it, and at that time in my life when you watched him play and what he did there is no way I would have ever thought it would take this long for him to get recognized. He was a force to be reckon with flying down the right side, swinging his stick wildly and crashing towards the opposition's net, ahh the good old days. I really appreciated Messier's gracious remarks towards Anderson last night, they were long overdue and well deserved. I know inductions aren't based on stats alone but if you can put Cam Neely in and other numerous players and now the debate for Lindros has started, what's the excuse for not putting Anderson in??? Will 2008 finally be the year?????


Here is a quote from a recent article in the Journal

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...l-of-fame.aspx


"Since Anderson's first year of eligibility in 2000, seven more elections have been held. Players such as Clark Gillies, Bernie Federko, Pat LaFontaine and Cam Neely were all elected, not one of them an obviously better or more accomplished player than Anderson.

This despite the fact Anderson was a key member of six Stanley Cup-winning and two Canada Cup-winning teams. Only five players have ever scored more playoff goals than him. Only one, Maurice Richard, has scored more overtime goals in playoffs"


GLENN ANDERSON
REGULAR SEASON
GP 1129
G 498
A 601
PTS 1099
PIM 1120

PLAYOFFS
GP 225
G 93
A 121
PTS 214
PIM 442

ERIC LINDROS
REGULAR SEASON
GP 760
G 372
A 493
PTS 865
PIM 1398

PLAYOFFS
GP 53
G 24
A 33
PTS 57
PIM 122

CAM NEELY
REGULAR SEASON
GP 726
G 395
A 299
PTS 694
PIM 1241

PLAYOFFS
GP 93
G 57
A 32
PTS 89
PIM 168

pritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
  #2
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
No argument here.

There's also lots of defensemen, Phil Housely comes to mind, that deserve to get in. As of right now and with Cam Neeley getting in to the HHOF the standards are REALLY low.

Alot of the voters also seem to forget that this is the Hockey Hall of Fame not the NHL hall of fame. I'm still wondering why Igor Larinov hasn't been induced in to the HHOF.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 04:49 PM
  #3
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,383
vCash: 500
But they won't put a ______ Hockey player in the HHOF.

Use your imagination.

He should be in, NO QUESTION.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
  #4
pritz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
I doubt many will argue with what I'm saying, more of a statement I guess. I only bring this up today because of the Moose's remarks and all this talk about Lindros

pritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
  #5
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,275
vCash: 500
What about that guy at the top of the page behind the hfboards logo?

Dino Ciccarelli

4 time all star

1232 games played
608 goals
592 assists
1200 points

---Playoffs---
141 games played
73 goals
45 assists
118 points

jsho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
  #6
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
What about that guy at the top of the page behind the hfboards logo?

Dino Ciccarelli

4 time all star

1232 games played
608 goals
592 assists
1200 points

---Playoffs---
141 games played
73 goals
45 assists
118 points
If Cam Neely played in Minnesota, he NEVER gets into the hall.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
  #7
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,780
vCash: 500
Neely gets character points for having having so much heart in his attempt to play depite his injuries. Thanks Ulf.

Ciccarelli loses character points for being jailed while in the NHL, among other things.

Anderson loses character points for various things we all know about, but don't need to discuss.



That is the differance. The voters are using personal opinions of the players as people in their voting.

I don't agree but I see the reasonings behind things.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
  #8
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Neely gets character points for having having so much heart in his attempt to play depite his injuries. Thanks Ulf.

Ciccarelli loses character points for being jailed while in the NHL, among other things.

Anderson loses character points for various things we all know about, but don't need to discuss.



That is the differance. The voters are using personal opinions of the players as people in their voting.

I don't agree but I see the reasonings behind things.
Call it what it is, playing in Boston. Anderson, besides the unsaid things, doesn't get the credit for his abilities because of how good the team was.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:16 PM
  #9
HuMz
Registered User
 
HuMz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Couldn't agree more, the most embaressing part is on hockey centrals panel broadcasting from the HHOF on the weekend, they all asked the question who hasn't been elected that should be and too my suprise none of the 4 said Anderson.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:22 PM
  #10
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Couldn't agree more, the most embaressing part is on hockey centrals panel broadcasting from the HHOF on the weekend, they all asked the question who hasn't been elected that should be and too my suprise none of the 4 said Anderson.
Were they all alive when Anderson played?

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
  #11
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Anderson will get in next year. Lindros in 2010. Everyone is happy.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
  #12
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Anderson will get in next year. Lindros in 2010. Everyone is happy.
Today is the day , right ?
I hope he made it .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
  #13
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,167
vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Neely gets character points for having having so much heart in his attempt to play depite his injuries. Thanks Ulf.

Ciccarelli loses character points for being jailed while in the NHL, among other things.

Anderson loses character points for various things we all know about, but don't need to discuss.



That is the differance. The voters are using personal opinions of the players as people in their voting.

I don't agree but I see the reasonings behind things.
The only thing we have via the media is the guy who died in his pool and then the innuendo's that came from that.

I think it also has to do with how he carried himself off the ice after his career ended.7

But I tink that it is time for the NHL to do what MLB does with their HOF have say 400 media types or whatever and have th 75% vote thing. Right now it is ten guys around the table who decide.

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM
  #14
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritz View Post
Growing up in Edmonton with the Oilers (I'm now 38), I saw all these young Oilers come together and grow together and somehow Anderson got lost in all of it, and at that time in my life when you watched him play and what he did there is no way I would have ever thought it would take this long for him to get recognized. He was a force to be reckon with flying down the right side, swinging his stick wildly and crashing towards the opposition's net, ahh the good old days. I really appreciated Messier's gracious remarks towards Anderson last night, they were long overdue and well deserved. I know inductions aren't based on stats alone but if you can put Cam Neely in and other numerous players and now the debate for Lindros has started, what's the excuse for not putting Anderson in??? Will 2008 finally be the year?????


Here is a quote from a recent article in the Journal

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...l-of-fame.aspx


"Since Anderson's first year of eligibility in 2000, seven more elections have been held. Players such as Clark Gillies, Bernie Federko, Pat LaFontaine and Cam Neely were all elected, not one of them an obviously better or more accomplished player than Anderson.

This despite the fact Anderson was a key member of six Stanley Cup-winning and two Canada Cup-winning teams. Only five players have ever scored more playoff goals than him. Only one, Maurice Richard, has scored more overtime goals in playoffs"


GLENN ANDERSON
REGULAR SEASON
GP 1129
G 498
A 601
PTS 1099
PIM 1120

PLAYOFFS
GP 225
G 93
A 121
PTS 214
PIM 442

ERIC LINDROS
REGULAR SEASON
GP 760
G 372
A 493
PTS 865
PIM 1398

PLAYOFFS
GP 53
G 24
A 33
PTS 57
PIM 122

CAM NEELY
REGULAR SEASON
GP 726
G 395
A 299
PTS 694
PIM 1241

PLAYOFFS
GP 93
G 57
A 32
PTS 89
PIM 168

Couldn't agree more with the opinion. Andy should have been in long ago. For all you young bucks on here that never saw him play, it's your loss. I saw him firsthand for ten years, and trust me, I've never seen a better big-game player than him. And that's saying something given the company he had on the ice. To see guys like Federko and Gillies get in and not Andy makes me want to puke.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
  #15
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Lindros was far better than Anderson. Look at those stats, you have to keep in mind Anderson playing basically double the games and barely outscoring Lindros in totals. He also played the majority of his career in the 1980 where if you didn't get 40 goals a year, you were cut from the team.

Lindros finishes top 20 in all time NHL points per game and goals per game. Right in the exact neighborhood as Jari Kurri. Nobody in Edmonton will debate him being in. Lindros had just as successful a career.

Those who disagree can burn in hell.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
  #16
WatchaMaCarcass
Registered User
 
WatchaMaCarcass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lurking
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Lindros was far better than Anderson. Look at those stats, you have to keep in mind Anderson playing basically double the games and barely outscoring Lindros in totals. He also played the majority of his career in the 1980 where if you didn't get 40 goals a year, you were cut from the team.

Lindros finishes top 20 in all time NHL points per game and goals per game. Right in the exact neighborhood as Jari Kurri. Nobody in Edmonton will debate him being in. Lindros had just as successful a career.

Those who disagree can burn in hell.
And like Anderson, there are 'character flaws' that may keep him out of the hall.

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
  #17
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
If he doesnt get in this year im going to be really **ssed.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
  #18
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlatl View Post
And like Anderson, there are 'character flaws' that may keep him out of the hall.
didn't help to have daddy dearest by his side all the time

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
  #19
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
About a week ago I emailed the HHOF to push Andy. Sure it doesn't matter, but what else can you do.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
  #20
greatgazoo
Registered User
 
greatgazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cobourg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,479
vCash: 500
Messier has done the lobbying and Colin Campbell (former teamate and asst. coach) is on the 17-man committee so this just may be Anderson's year! All he needs is 13 yes votes and he's in.

If it doesn't happen today, then I don't think he'll ever get in.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
  #21
Al Bundy*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
He got in.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.