HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators 2008 draft thread

Old
06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Well if you can't get two for one I guess two for two is pretty good.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Working on a packet of information for this year's draft for my dad. If anybody else wants one, PM me. The packet will include:

• An "Ideal Draft Class" for the Predators
  • An overview of the top prospects from the CHL, NCAA, as well as Germany, Sweden, Finland, Russia, and Switzerland*
  • A complete mock of the first round
  • A team-by-team breakdown of the number of draft picks each team has, including details on any transactions.

*Any players or European nations may be included by request.

I'll send them out sometime between tonight and Thursday afternoon. It's completely free of charge for anyone interested.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Send me one .

------------------

Question for those who read this thread:

If Wilson, Bodeker, Schenn are all gone at 9 - do you take Hodgson, Myers, Beach, or trade back?

06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Send me one .

------------------

Question for those who read this thread:

If Wilson, Bodeker, Schenn are all gone at 9 - do you take Hodgson, Myers, Beach, or trade back?
Trade 9 for an NHL player, no trading back, no acquiring additional picks. Unless there is a chance to get in the top 3 in next years draft, (Which NO ONE can predict) trade for current NHL talent.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Trade 9 for an NHL player, no trading back, no acquiring additional picks. Unless there is a chance to get in the top 3 in next years draft, (Which NO ONE can predict) trade for current NHL talent.
*puts on swami hat*

Lightning, Thrashers, Kings, in no particular order. Islanders get an honorable mention.

I think we trade down. We're looking for Hornqvist insurance so if we're acquiring a forward it needs to be something short-term. No short-term patch is worth the 9th overall pick.

Old
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
*puts on swami hat*

Lightning, Thrashers, Kings, in no particular order. Islanders get an honorable mention.

I think we trade down. We're looking for Hornqvist insurance so if we're acquiring a forward it needs to be something short-term. No short-term patch is worth the 9th overall pick.
Who says the Preds are looking short term? Would it KILL Hornqvist to keep him on the 3rd line if a superior player is on the top first or second line?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Who says the Preds are looking short term? Would it KILL Hornqvist to keep him on the 3rd line if a superior player is on the top first or second line?
Depends. Are his linemates Bonk and Ortmeyer?

Old
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have no idea what the Predators would do in that situation:

Myers - You KNOW Poile wants to draft him. He very well could end up being one of the top 5 players in this draft, but he is raw, despite his size and skating ability.

Beach - Recent comments lead fans to think he is completely marked off the list, but this could just be draft-speak. If he had a good interview with the team, the high reward of making this selection could make it worthwhile.

Hodgson - some see him as the third best forward, others the 5th or 6th. I see a talented guy that doesn't quite fit what we are looking for. Still, he is a top 10 talent, and I would not be upset to see him putting on a Predators jersey.

If you trade back, I think you see the Predators just start snapping up talent. This draft has a LOT of good defenseman and several intriguing forwards that will be available in the 2nd round....

-------
If we trade up, I would love to be in the top 7. Doughty is an amazing talent (pipe-dream), but the other big 3 defenseman all could be flat out studs. Boedeker and Filatov just seem to be locks as scoring wingers in the NHL....

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
If you trade back, I think you see the Predators just start snapping up talent. This draft has a LOT of good defenseman and several intriguing forwards that will be available in the 2nd round....
Absolutely. We could get as many as 3 draft picks for the 9th overall if nobody we want is there, and there are several players I have in the second round that I have my eye on (Sauve, Adam, Eberle, Motin, Arniel and Grachev to be specific).

Old
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

After more thought, with a gun to my head, I think I would go Myers over Hodgson and Beach at 9...

Last edited by Enoch: 06-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old
06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
After more thought, with a gun to my head, I think I would go Myers over Hodgson and Beach at 9...
I would go Myers over Beach... not sure about Hodgson.

Old
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
lugnut76

Myers would be my pick

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I would love to try and grab Boedker at 9 for the Wild. With Madsen in our system, it would be nice to give him a fellow teammate (Lars Eller would have been nice as well).

Would a trade centering around a 24th pick, Benoit Pouliot, our 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year be enough to move up in the 2nd and 1st?

To Nashville:
Benoit Pouliot
24th Overall
54th Overall (or is it 55th now?)
2009 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Minnesota:
9th Overall
31st Overall

I know I've dogged Pouliot a lot on these boards but he did end the season better than I expected and he does seem a better fit at center than on wing. He has the size and the skill to become a very gifted player in the NHL but I think he needs a trade to wake him up and make him realize his potential. I also think your coach is a damn good coach as well (Radulov, your defensemen). What else do you guys need?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKariyana View Post
I would love to try and grab Boedker at 9 for the Wild. With Madsen in our system, it would be nice to give him a fellow teammate (Lars Eller would have been nice as well).

Would a trade centering around a 24th pick, Benoit Pouliot, our 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year be enough to move up in the 2nd and 1st?

To Nashville:
Benoit Pouliot
24th Overall

To Minnesota:
9th Overall
31st Overall

I know I've dogged Pouliot a lot on these boards but he did end the season better than I expected and he does seem a better fit at center than on wing. He has the size and the skill to become a very gifted player in the NHL but I think he needs a trade to wake him up and make him realize his potential. I also think your coach is a damn good coach as well (Radulov, your defensemen). What else do you guys need?
I don't see Poile trading down in this draft for anyone, especially Pouliot and our 9th AND 40th

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I don't see Poile trading down in this draft for anyone, especially Pouliot and our 9th AND 40th
Well, it would be the 24th and you could still get a good scorer. I think Minnesota made a major mistake in trading up last year to secure Gillies when they have holes everywhere else.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKariyana View Post

To Nashville:
Benoit Pouliot
24th Overall

To Minnesota:
9th Overall
31st Overall

What else do you guys need?
Replace the 9th with ColdChicory and you've got a deal. Also, we don't have the 31st selection, we have the 40th.

Old
06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Replace the 9th with ColdChicory and you've got a deal. Also, we don't have the 31st selection, we have the 40th.
... gold jerry!

Old
06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Much as Nashville fans might be clamoring for a forward or two to help re-stock the organizational depth chart at that position, it’s entirely possible the Predators might use at least one of their first-round picks (ninth and 15th overall) on a defenseman.

“On balance, with what we’ve drafted in the past, it would be better to get a forward,’’ Predators general manager David Poile said, “but there’s a lot of good defensemen out there.

“All I tell our scouts is to put the list in order and to give me the best player. The best player will be the best asset. If we have an imbalance in our depth chart, that will be my problem or situation to deal with.’’
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....53/1002/SPORTS

I'm telling you guys Polie will draft more D-men. We be skating 18 D-men in 5 years. He does not care about this team anymore and is looking for a higher paying job somewhere else if he drafts more stinking Blueliners. 9 is enough

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....53/1002/SPORTS

I'm telling you guys Polie will draft more D-men. We be skating 18 D-men in 5 years. He does not care about this team anymore and is looking for a higher paying job somewhere else if he drafts more stinking Blueliners. 9 is enough
Considering almost all scouting agencies have 15-20 blueliners as 1st round grades...I'm not sure what you expect. If you draft BPA, which we do, then chances are that a defensman may be that pick. Poile will need to be proactive to secure the top-notch forward talent. Picking at 9 should see a good forward fall, but then again, it may be Myers at that slot of Wilson/Boedeker are gone....

Old
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
braindead

As crazy as it sounds, I think Poile might try to be proactive. It seems to me that with the new ownership, the continued need to drive interest, and the assets available that ownership would green light or even encourage a big splash.

I'll predict our two first rounders and Klien (or Koistenen) will be traded to get the Preds to the 3-6 range to secure Filatov.

Failing that, I think our order of preference at #9 (with percentages of player being available) are:

Filatov (less than 1%)
Boedker (10%)
Wilson (30%)
Meyers (30%)
Hodgson (30%)
Beach (90%)

I'd be thrilled with the first two, very happy with the next two and disappointed with the last two. Barring trade, I think I'll be disappointed as the Preds pick Hodgson.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Hodgson is a terrific prospect. Drafting him is a great consolation prize IMO....he very well could be better than Wilson.

Old
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
As crazy as it sounds, I think Poile might try to be proactive. It seems to me that with the new ownership, the continued need to drive interest, and the assets available that ownership would green light or even encourage a big splash.

I'll predict our two first rounders and Klien (or Koistenen) will be traded to get the Preds to the 3-6 range to secure Filatov.

Failing that, I think our order of preference at #9 (with percentages of player being available) are:

Filatov (less than 1%)
Boedker (10%)
Wilson (30%)
Meyers (30%)
Hodgson (30%)
Beach (90%)

I'd be thrilled with the first two, very happy with the next two and disappointed with the last two. Barring trade, I think I'll be disappointed as the Preds pick Hodgson.
Im with you, it may be wishful thinking, but I think Trader Dave at least tries his hardest to land Filatov

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we see one of our defenseman dealt today. There are a ton of good players left on the board here in the second round....

I suspect we come up with an additional second round pick and take a defenseman/forward here in the second.

Old
06-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Preds trade up and select Roman Josi (6-1 183) Dman from Bern in the Swiss League

Old
06-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I still don't know what the terms of the deal were, but it looks like it was a draft pick traded, not a trade of one of our defenseman.