HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha and Girardi

Old
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't understand what is misleading. Do you think that Girardi's stats aren't impressive because he played in 30-something NHL games already? If we're purely looking at stats, then I think Girardi's first pro season was a home run. 10 goals? Not bad. An even rating for a guy going against top lines on a team that struggled at times to score at even strength? Not bad either. If you look at 2008 alone he was a +9, so the trend is positive. Then in the playoffs he was +1 going against top lines in 10 games compared to -4 last season in 10 games not going against top lines. I think those are exactly the types of stats you'd like to see from a 24 year old defenseman who had 30-something NHL games (plus playoff games) under his belt.
Wasn't it Staal we were trying to match up to top lines?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Wasn't it Staal we were trying to match up to top lines?
to be fair, girardi and tyutin played against the maline-malkin-sykora line which is good enough to be a 1st line on probably half of the nhl teams

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:07 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
to be fair, girardi and tyutin played against the maline-malkin-sykora line which is good enough to be a 1st line on probably half of the nhl teams
What, against the Amazing Disappearing Evgeni Malkin?

Old
06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
What, against the Amazing Disappearing Evgeni Malkin?
he apparently had the flu.....butin the second round he was the best player on the ice....by far

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:10 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he apparently had the flu.....butin the second round he was the best player on the ice....by far
Except during that penalty shot....

Old
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, Shanny took Prucha's PP time. Having Prucha on the PP would not have produced more goals overall, whether he was out there with Shanny or in place of him. The only thing it would have done is pad Prucha's numbers a bit to make him look better than he is.

Prucha's size is brought into question not just because he is small, but because he PLAYS small. He is constantly knocked off the puck, knocked down and generally ineffective at playing any type of physical game. In comparison, Dawes is a smaller player who is able to play a bigger game. He is strong on his skates and does a much better job of shielding the puck from defenders.

On the subject of Girardi vs. Staal, yes they were both essentially in their rookie years, but Staal is already bigger than Girardi and is 3 years younger. Compare them now if you wish, but if you compare Girardi now to Staal 3 years from now, Girardi will lose.

I like Girardi and I still think he has some room to improve, but Staal is going to be the better player by far. These type of things can't be determined by just looking at statistics. You have to actually watch them and see how they play the game.

But if you are such a big fan of stats, consider this. In the 10 playoff games, Staal had more ice time than Girardi in 8 of them. Girardi averaged 20:42 per game and Staal averaged 22:21 per game.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sure, he has room to make improvements, but what in his game indicates to you that he has the ability to step it up and become a legitimate 1/2? It's not an indictment of his play, I think he's a fine second pairing guy. I just don't see much more room for projection.

Honest-to-goodness top pairing defenseman are few and far between, and I think it's unrealistic to project Girardi-- based on his body of work so far-- into that future role.
I never said he'd be a top pairing guy. I'd be happy with him as a solid #3/4 defenseman. You do need 6 defensemen on your team ya know. If he can develop his offensive game more without hurting his defensive development then he has a real shot of sticking here for a long time as a solid balanced defenseman who you can even use on the PP if needed. I don't think anyone would complain if Girardi turned into that. We all know that Staal will be the #1 for years to come and the hope is that Sanguinetti turns into the #2 (for his offensive abilities of course).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I never said he'd be a top pairing guy. I'd be happy with him as a solid #3/4 defenseman. You do need 6 defensemen on your team ya know. If he can develop his offensive game more without hurting his defensive development then he has a real shot of sticking here for a long time as a solid balanced defenseman who you can even use on the PP if needed. I don't think anyone would complain if Girardi turned into that. We all know that Staal will be the #1 for years to come and the hope is that Sanguinetti turns into the #2 (for his offensive abilities of course).
I totally agree with everything you just said. With that in mind, the OP asked WHY Girardi is considered a 3/4 and Staal a 1/2 when they were both rookies and Girardi had better production. Just didn't seem like you tried to answer the question originally. I'm nitpicking and being an *******, but all of my sports teams blow, so I'm a bit testy, you know?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:46 AM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yes, Shanny took Prucha's PP time. Having Prucha on the PP would not have produced more goals overall, whether he was out there with Shanny or in place of him. The only thing it would have done is pad Prucha's numbers a bit to make him look better than he is.

Prucha's size is brought into question not just because he is small, but because he PLAYS small. He is constantly knocked off the puck, knocked down and generally ineffective at playing any type of physical game. In comparison, Dawes is a smaller player who is able to play a bigger game. He is strong on his skates and does a much better job of shielding the puck from defenders.

On the subject of Girardi vs. Staal, yes they were both essentially in their rookie years, but Staal is already bigger than Girardi and is 3 years younger. Compare them now if you wish, but if you compare Girardi now to Staal 3 years from now, Girardi will lose.

I like Girardi and I still think he has some room to improve, but Staal is going to be the better player by far. These type of things can't be determined by just looking at statistics. You have to actually watch them and see how they play the game.

But if you are such a big fan of stats, consider this. In the 10 playoff games, Staal had more ice time than Girardi in 8 of them. Girardi averaged 20:42 per game and Staal averaged 22:21 per game.
And how did we make out......................

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
And how did we make out......................
A perfectly valid point because, as we all know, if Girardi had played more than Staal in the playoffs we would have won the cup. Or not.

Wait, what was your point again?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote