HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

lines for 2009

Old
06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Now I'm looking to ditch Dan Travis and Magnus Johannsen to free agency while retaining Monty and Belak.
Magnus Johansson is close to re-signing in Florida. Only details left and he'll have a new one-way contract worth $1M.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle2639214.ab

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Magnus Johansson is close to re-signing in Florida. Only details left and he'll have a new one-way contract worth $1M.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle2639214.ab
That might mean Murphy is done...

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
They are pretty much our top line already. Martin was matching them up against other team's top lines strength vs. strength towards the end of the season anyway. If Jokinen is here next season, I doubt his line will be better than the Sunrise Xpress. He'll likely have Olesz on his line, and maybe Matthias if he makes the team. Otherwise, it'll be Zednik or McLean. We're not going to get a top six forward in UFA, there's not enough money after we get a puck moving defenseman. So the Sunrise Xpress will be our top line.
To be effective, Joke needs to be the go-to guy. I don't know why, but he has never played well with someone ahead of him on the depth chart. Second line doesn't inspire him I guess. He should play on the first line.

Also, don't put him on the wing like some are suggesting - he has already shown his inability to make an impact there.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
That might mean Murphy is done...
I've been saying this since the season ended. Murphy is a goner. IMO he'll be shopped at the draft for a pick and someone will bite.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
To be effective, Joke needs to be the go-to guy. I don't know why, but he has never played well with someone ahead of him on the depth chart. Second line doesn't inspire him I guess. He should play on the first line.

Also, don't put him on the wing like some are suggesting - he has already shown his inability to make an impact there.
When has Jokinen ever had someone ahead of him on the depth chart since he broke out in 02-03? How do you know he wouldn't play well in that situation, when it's never happened before? Anyway, all this talk of 1st line, 2nd line........like others have said, they are really interchangable anyway. In fact, like I said, the Sunrise Xpress is a better line than Jokinen's line. It's not like we have Bure lining up on Olli's wing, which would give us an undisputed 1st line. The "1st line" will ultimately be determined by which line draws the best checkers and top pairing D of the opposing team.

Jokinen played pretty well on the wing when Matthias was up for 4 games. And he's played better on the wing this season than he had in the past. When Stumpel was centering him for that stretch in November-December he looked pretty good on the wing as well. IMO, he should never ever have been a center. Whoever made that decision in his youth hockey days made a big mistake. Nothing about his game resembles a center. He's not a good playmaker, he stinks at faceoffs, and he can't play defense. I think Martin tried to play him at wing more this season than he has in the past because he has the same opinion I do. His game resembles that of a winger more than a center.

Old
06-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Tuco

Quote:
When has Jokinen ever had someone ahead of him on the depth chart since he broke out in 02-03? How do you know he wouldn't play well in that situation, when it's never happened before? Anyway, all this talk of 1st line, 2nd line........like others have said, they are really interchangable anyway. In fact, like I said, the Sunrise Xpress is a better line than Jokinen's line. It's not like we have Bure lining up on Olli's wing, which would give us an undisputed 1st line. The "1st line" will ultimately be determined by which line draws the best checkers and top pairing D of the opposing team.

Jokinen played pretty well on the wing when Matthias was up for 4 games. And he's played better on the wing this season than he had in the past. When Stumpel was centering him for that stretch in November-December he looked pretty good on the wing as well. IMO, he should never ever have been a center. Whoever made that decision in his youth hockey days made a big mistake. Nothing about his game resembles a center. He's not a good playmaker, he stinks at faceoffs, and he can't play defense. I think Martin tried to play him at wing more this season than he has in the past because he has the same opinion I do. His game resembles that of a winger more than a center.
Joke was the go-to guy in juniors when Finland won junior WC (which he can thank the number 3 pick for), same with HIFK when they won the finnish league. Then he came to NHL and played in 3rd and 4th lines (occationally 2nd) and never succeeded. Until Keenan made him the number one with Panthers. Even in the recent years when he has played for Finland in WC behind Koivu he has been very disappointing considering his achievements (pointwise) in NHL. Ofcourse there's many reasons for this but in my opinion Joke needs a lot of minutes to do well. Maybe I wasn't clear, but this is what I mean as difference between 1st and 2nd line: playing time. Therefore, he needs to play in the 1st line.

I haven't seen him play wing in the NHL, but looking at his numbers it hasn't worked that well. Also, if you combine moving him to wing and dropping him to second line and taking C away from him - it's going to eat anyone no matter what they say. And he's not a playmaker. Therefore, he needs to go.

And I just don't believe Matthias is ready yet to be a contributor on a long season. A handful of games yes, but not the whole season. Again, it's just a matter of opinion - you seem to believe it, just like you buy Martin's plan overall.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Joke was the go-to guy in juniors when Finland won junior WC (which he can thank the number 3 pick for), same with HIFK when they won the finnish league. Then he came to NHL and played in 3rd and 4th lines (occationally 2nd) and never succeeded. Until Keenan made him the number one with Panthers. Even in the recent years when he has played for Finland in WC behind Koivu he has been very disappointing considering his achievements (pointwise) in NHL. Ofcourse there's many reasons for this but in my opinion Joke needs a lot of minutes to do well. Maybe I wasn't clear, but this is what I mean as difference between 1st and 2nd line: playing time. Therefore, he needs to play in the 1st line.

I haven't seen him play wing in the NHL, but looking at his numbers it hasn't worked that well. Also, if you combine moving him to wing and dropping him to second line and taking C away from him - it's going to eat anyone no matter what they say. And he's not a playmaker. Therefore, he needs to go.

And I just don't believe Matthias is ready yet to be a contributor on a long season. A handful of games yes, but not the whole season. Again, it's just a matter of opinion - you seem to believe it, just like you buy Martin's plan overall.
Well, Olli played on the 3rd and 4th lines because he was still young and wasn't showing the potential that made him a #3 overall. Since he broke out, and has proved that he can be the go-to-guy, he's always been the go-to-guy. So we don't know how he'd do on the Panthers if his line wasn't the go-to line. Idk really what his shortcomings are on Team Finland in the WC's. It might have some bearing on him having to be the go-to-guy, it might not. It might also have something to do with the fact that Koivu always gets to play with Selanne and Lehtinen, and Olli has considerably less talented linemates to play with.

He played better on the wing this season, given more time there, than he has in the past. I don't think it's a surprise that it hasn't worked out that well so far for him, it's hard adjusting to a new position. But therein lies the problem: His game is more suited for the wing than at center, especially without an elite playmaking winger to play with, but yet his transition to wing might not be that smooth. That's why I think if Martin can get a playmaking center of equal talent to Jokinen, he will trade him.

I also think Matthias could benefit from a half season in the AHL, but even if he doesn't get that, I still think he can definitely be a contributor over an 82 game season. Physically, he's definitely ready. The only question I had was whether his game is advanced enough where he doesn't need some time in the AHL to get used to the pros and keep his confidence strong. But I think Martin and the rest of the organization know him better than I do. If they believe he's ready, which they seem to do, then I guess he is. You know Martin doesn't bring players up until they're ready.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
First off.........HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOO OOOOOOOOO ALL!!! I am officially in Aiyio, Greece, my hometown. Its a beautiful 85 degrees, no humidity, and not a cloud in the sky...couldnt ask for more! For all the boys back home...the women are PHENOMENAL!!! Im posting from an internet cafe down the street from my apartment. Ill post some pictures online soon. I was so dissapointed to get online and see no real significant news. I was hoping for a Bouwmeester signing or us trading Peltonen and Stumpel for Malkin (lol), but i guess nothing has happened.

Second, let me get some Panther talk in my blood again. My lines for 09, without any major forward signing:

Jokinen-Matthias-Olesz
Horton-Weiss-Booth
McLean-Kreps-Zednik
Dvo-Soup/Stumpel-Belak/Kilger/Pelts (this line depends on who gets bought out)

Bouw-Allen
Scratch off - Liles
Johannson-Cully/Murph/MVR (same as the fourth line details)

T-Vo
Mr Anderson

I would much rather see Matthias center Repik and Frolik in Rochester, but I think he gives us the best option for the top line if no top line player is signed. By having him center Olli and Olesz, it gives us the option to move McLean and Zeds to the third line, which could hopefully give us some balance. I would really like to see some improvement on the defense as far as a puck moving Dman is concerned because we have speed on the wings and we could use that to our advantage by our transition out of our zone. I think that more than anything is what really gets our game going.

Anyways...laters for now. Talk to ya'll soon. yia...

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Now that we have our coach, here are the lines I think he will go with. I think with Deboer the Sawgrass Line will become our first line because it is our hardest working line with Booth on there. Putting Matthias on that second line actually takes some of the pressure off of him and he can really come into his own playing with Olli(Hopefully). Third line actually might be able to score some goals with all the faceoffs Kreps will win. Forth line becomes a great checking line if Kilger reports or has some speed in Dvorak if he doesn't.

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Olesz-Matthias- Jokinen/or player we get in return if traded?
McLean-Kreps-Zednik
Belak-Campbell-Kilger/Dvorak(If Kilger reports Dvorak might be expendable and a good trading chip for JM, but that is a big if.)

Stumpel, Peltonen most likely bought out or traded.

Skrastins makes the first line pairing because of his hustle and block shot abilities.

Bouw-Skrastins
Allen-Redden(If signed)
Welch-Cullimore(If resigned)
Magnussen(Rumors say he will resign with us soon)

Murphy??? May be traded if we do sign Magnussen. Will definately be traded if we sign Magnussen & Cullimore & Redden.

Van Ryn possibly traded if we can find a trading partner to shave some $$$ off the cap.

Vokoun
Anderson

Last edited by Beezer: 06-13-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Ace2008

i'M just a bit confused as to who this 4-6 $Million Dman is

is it LiLes(*soon to be resigned by Avs)
is it Hainsey--good but not that good

is it Streit(soon to be resigned by the very capable Habs)

basically it pans down to either
Redden--yes he is available for Cup Contenders(depends how he feels)
Hainsey--not worth it in my opinion has the shot...not the intangibles
Pitkanen(highly underrated by many his asking price hurts in the cap world...and you never know he could be great...but the uncertainty of his inj history+the huge ransom it would take to get him through trade makes this seem like a dangerous but potentially great move if it paves the way for 2 Solid d-pairings(Cap space must be cleared 1st of course.

who else is on the Radar in peoples eyes as a 4-6 million Dollar Dman

please don't say Campbell(*if he's available its only because he wants LIdstrom Ca$#--say upwards of 7.5 and yes he's not worth it because unlike S.Niedermayer or B.Leetch he has yet to master the finer points of playing Defense positionally. he might be the best 55-70 pt puckrusher but his Defensive game isn't there yet. If he's available it would take a fortune to land him. Of course he'd make an excellent fit alongside Bryan Allen...

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
i'M just a bit confused as to who this 4-6 $Million Dman is

is it LiLes(*soon to be resigned by Avs)
is it Hainsey--good but not that good

is it Streit(soon to be resigned by the very capable Habs)

basically it pans down to either
Redden--yes he is available for Cup Contenders(depends how he feels)
Hainsey--not worth it in my opinion has the shot...not the intangibles
Pitkanen(highly underrated by many his asking price hurts in the cap world...and you never know he could be great...but the uncertainty of his inj history+the huge ransom it would take to get him through trade makes this seem like a dangerous but potentially great move if it paves the way for 2 Solid d-pairings(Cap space must be cleared 1st of course.

who else is on the Radar in peoples eyes as a 4-6 million Dollar Dman

please don't say Campbell(*if he's available its only because he wants LIdstrom Ca$#--say upwards of 7.5 and yes he's not worth it because unlike S.Niedermayer or B.Leetch he has yet to master the finer points of playing Defense positionally. he might be the best 55-70 pt puckrusher but his Defensive game isn't there yet. If he's available it would take a fortune to land him. Of course he'd make an excellent fit alongside Bryan Allen...
How do you know Liles and Streit will be resigned soon? Has this been reported somewhere that they are close and I haven't seen it yet? Or is that what you're assuming? Because until they sign, I wouldn't assume those two stay with those teams. This will likely be the best opportunity of Streit's career to cash in as big as he can in UFA IMO. I don't think Redden wants to go to another Canadian city, so just cross all those out. He wants to get out of the limelight. I think Martin is going to go really hard after him, and we're heavily rumored to be the frontrunners to sign him. I think a place like Florida would be the perfect place for him to start fresh and it's the perfect kind of roster for him to join at this point also IMO.

After that, there's guys like Roszival, Stuart(even though I think he'll resign in Detroit, he still hasn't yet), and Hainsey, even though they wouldn't be my first choices, if all else failed, I wouldn't mind them. I'd be really surprised if Campbell didn't resign in SJ, but you never know, although I agree that he's not worth the money he supposedly will be asking for.

Old
06-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
One thing to note about the possibility of Redden signing here -- when was the last time a player rumored to be coming to South Florida has actually signed? I don't think it's ever happened in our team's existence.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
One thing to note about the possibility of Redden signing here -- when was the last time a player rumored to be coming to South Florida has actually signed? I don't think it's ever happened in our team's existence.
Idk about the very last time, but a couple examples of a UFA signing here after he was rumored to be coming here are Dave Gagner in 1997 and Lance Pitlick in 1999. I want to say Larionov in 2000 as well, but I'm not totally sure on that one.

Old
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Joe Nieuwendyk comes to mind. Although I remember more guys that were supposed to be locks like Jovo and Todd White not working out.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Idk about the very last time, but a couple examples of a UFA signing here after he was rumored to be coming here are Dave Gagner in 1997 and Lance Pitlick in 1999. I want to say Larionov in 2000 as well, but I'm not totally sure on that one.
Wasn't he aquired through trade and then traded back midseason??? Not sure either.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Wasn't he aquired through trade and then traded back midseason??? Not sure either.
No, Larionov was signed as a UFA, but I don't remember whether he was heavily rumored to be coming here or not before he signed.