HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs loooking to move up in Draft

Old
06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
wait....you wouldnt trade Pleks to get the 6th pick???

i love Pleky, but the 6th pick in a very strong top 10 draft is nothing to scoff at...
Yeah let's trade Tomas Plekanec and hope we draft a guy that turns out to be as good as Tomas Plekanec. That makes sense.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:05 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

No way I trade Pleks. Higgins I'd move for Filatov in a long island minute though.

Heck I'd probably move Higgins, Maxwell and Grabovski for Filatov.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
No way I trade Pleks. Higgins I'd move for Filatov in a long island minute though.

Heck I'd probably move Higgins, Maxwell and Grabovski for Filatov.

& you replace Higgins with who next season??

Greg Stewart???

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:17 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post

Greg Stewart???
Brian Rolston?

Tough to move Higgins but if such a deal could be made...be tempting

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Uwey

Rolston is believed to a deal in place with the Wild already!!!

Old
06-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

What's this? Surely poeple don't seriously think Gainey would trade a roster player to move up in the draft?? Unless it was for Stamkos?

Otherwise you guys are smokin' better stuff than I am; pass it over.

And while you're at it, Filatov WHO? The guy hasn't played a game in the NHL and with these Russkies you dunno what you're gonna get. Maybe a big fat nothing, if a RSL club ponies up.

No way, NONE, no way does BG throw away a guy like Higgins or Plekanec to move up in a frickin DRAFT. Just incredible what I read here sometimes.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Kriss E

Im not sure we're trying to move up in the draft. If we do grab another first round pick i have a feeling its to dish out in a trade.
Not expecting much out of this draft for us.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Brian Rolston?

Tough to move Higgins but if such a deal could be made...be tempting
So we trade one of our top six forwards for a draft pick, "in hopes" we can land an UFA, eh???

That sounds just a wee-bit dangerous to me, especially if this team is expected to challenge for the final four next spring.

Old
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
What's this? Surely poeple don't seriously think Gainey would trade a roster player to move up in the draft?? Unless it was for Stamkos?

And while you're at it, Filatov WHO? The guy hasn't played a game in the NHL and with these Russkies you dunno what you're gonna get. Maybe a big fat nothing, if a RSL club ponies up.

No way, NONE, no way does BG throw away a guy like Higgins or Plekanec to move up in a frickin DRAFT. Just incredible what I read here sometimes.
Kinda hard to play an NHL game BEFORE getting Drafted!

You can pretty much say the same for almost every single player in the draft..except for players like Stamkos..or like Ovechkin..Malkin..Crosby..Tavares...you're never certain how your draft pick will develop.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Kinda hard to play an NHL game BEFORE getting Drafted!

You can pretty much say the same for almost every single player in the draft..except for players like Stamkos..or like Ovechkin..Malkin..Crosby..Tavares...you're never certain how your draft pick will develop.
Now before we all induct Stamkos into the HOF, just remember guys like Gratton, Stefan, Daigle, Legwand, Marleau, Phillips, Berard, Redden, Jovanovski, Tverdovsky, Hamrlik, Yashin...

All sure fire top superstars taken in the top 3, all of equal expectations. Sure, some have gone on to have successful careers, but all fell short of their lofty billing.

Stamkos is not a generational talent.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 06-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...M.html?sid=101

A trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins for the negotiating rights to winger Ryan Malone could be struck today or, more likely, Wednesday, NHL sources told The Dispatch.

Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets continue to make and receive calls for the sixth and 19th overall picks in this weekend's NHL draft, hoping to use either to land a No. 1 center.

"There's lots of interest," Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson said. "I'm taking as many calls as I'm making right now."

San Jose, Ottawa, Florida and Montreal are interested in one of the Blue Jackets' first two picks, NHL sources say
, but such a trade wouldn't likely go down until after the first five picks play out Friday.

"Having gone through this before, you almost expect to get a phone call from a team you haven't even spoken to yet," Howson said recently. "I know that we'll get action on the No. 6 pick, probably right up until it's time for us to make the pick."
I would think if the Habs were talking it would be for the 19th choice as I don't see much need of anyone in the top 6 except Filatov. All those dmen are good but I not sure they are great talents to give up a bunch of picks and players. If they got 19 and 25 then they can take a chance on one player and get the one they are targeting at 25. Ness and Colbourne are ones you can take a chance on.

I find it kinda quiet in Habland so far, not much coming out of TT or BG about their plans. No one has been able to get the list of 33 players they invited to the Bell Center Combine. Only thing I read was 19 from the Q and 3 other players from the Montreal area so the other 11 must be OHL or USHL type players headed to college.

As much as I would like an extra 1st rounder I think I would prefer to get a couple 2nds from Phoenix (between 30 and 40) A lot of interesting prospects in that area.

After reading the TSN mock draft and then taking the average from all the other scouting combines it looks good for picking guys like Paquette Schultz Poulin with 3rd round picks .

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Chances are it's in pursuit of the 19th, not the 6th. Maybe the guy we want won't be available (Or Gainey and Timmons are worried he'll be taken) at the 25th spot but SHOULD be at the 19th. I doubt this is for the 6th. We'd likely have to give Pleks to get the 6th - BTW; no thanks!
If it's to swap the 25th for the 19th overall, I can't see them having serious discussions now. It's doubtful that there's a particular player who will be guaranteed to go between 19th and 24th. It wouldn't be worth the risk to trade away assets now to move up a few spots for a player who should go in those spots. It's strictly a draft day deal, specifically when it will be Columbus' turn to pick.

On the other hand, I can see the Habs trying to get the 19th overall outright. They might have a sleeper pick on their list who they feel will definitely be gone by the 56th overall pick, but very likely available at 25th -- which would be too early to take him unless they had another 1st round pick.

But maybe it is for the 6th overall. It seems like the Habs every year sniff around the top picks. And it also seems that Columbus is the team that gets sniffed. Like with Brassard, and last year with McDonagh, the two teams seem to have their eyes on the same player, which makes for a pretty hard trade.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post

I just about lost my mind sifting through the first 2 pages of this stuff. Thank god I found yours before I flipped. Now, I wouldn't say that a roster player is out of the question, but I don't see a sane Gainey dealing a "core" player (i.e. Higgs, Pleks) to move up in the draft the year before the big push. Maybe one of them in a deal that replaces them as a core element, but not as a tool to move up.

Come on folks, stay with us here... let's not let the imaginations run too wild. Man, Habs rumours on the internet are like chumming a shark tank.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:55 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
If it's to swap the 25th for the 19th overall, I can't see them having serious discussions now. It's doubtful that there's a particular player who will be guaranteed to go between 19th and 24th. It wouldn't be worth the risk to trade away assets now to move up a few spots for a player who should go in those spots. It's strictly a draft day deal, specifically when it will be Columbus' turn to pick.

On the other hand, I can see the Habs trying to get the 19th overall outright. They might have a sleeper pick on their list who they feel will definitely be gone by the 56th overall pick, but very likely available at 25th -- which would be too early to take him unless they had another 1st round pick.

But maybe it is for the 6th overall. It seems like the Habs every year sniff around the top picks. And it also seems that Columbus is the team that gets sniffed. Like with Brassard, and last year with McDonagh, the two teams seem to have their eyes on the same player, which makes for a pretty hard trade.
Wonder if it is Karlsson who he is trying for? But who do we give up? Difficult trade to make

ke

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post

Greg Stewart???
Latendresse

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Wonder if it is Karlsson who he is trying for? But who do we give up? Difficult trade to make

ke

Or Carlson???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Latendresse

Isn't he Ryder's replacement???

He will have to improve an aweful lot to replace both of those guys, eh???

BTW, who then takes Latendresse' spot???

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I suppose it would be possible that the Habs could pull off a 3-way to get Columbus' 6th overall.

Something along the lines of :
to CBJ: Mike Cammaleri, LA's 2nd(48th), MTL's 1st
to LA: Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne
to MTL: 6th overall

or
to CBJ: Mike Cammaleri, Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne
to LA: Mtl's 1st

thoughts?

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 06-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I suppose it would be possible that the Habs could pull off a 3-way to get Columbus' 6th overall.

Something along the lines of :
to CBJ: Mike Cammaleri, LA's 2nd(48th), MTL's 1st
to LA: Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne

thoughts?
Gross overpayment
Two former first round picks well on their way to being core players plus a 1st... for the 6th overall? Dunno about that.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
For example, what could we get for Higgins as far as draft choice are concerned?

This means that of ALL the [B]forwards[/B ]that were picked up in 2001, Higgins is the 6th best...

Higgins numbers are a fact. So basically, for Higgins, I want nothing less than first, second or third.
It's probably me, I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you mean if so, please correct me but you're basing your opinion by comparing numbers in the same draft year? How about a bad draft year versus an incredible one? Don't you think that 2003 ate alive 2002? If I had a team in reconstruction (and for the record, I don't want to trade Higgins), is it possible that Higgins or any player is not worth to be traded in 2002 'cause it's so ordinairy but could be dealt for 2003 who, despite being hyped as one of the best, was actually one of the best? The hype was real. This year's hype is also real and moreso next year's draft.

Seeing who comes after Higgins makes me understand more that 2002 was actually a pretty ordinairy draft. It actually a proof that it was a great choice since he's #6 in PPG. It's not a proof that Higgins is worth Stamkos or is worth a Tavares or a Hedman.

Now if you do the same exercise for 2003, who comes at #6 on that list amongst all those great players? Maybe then, that #6 on a great draft should have a greater return....

Or I did miss your point completely....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Im not suggesting that the habs trade Pleks for the 6th pick (wouldnt happen as it would take a hell of a lot more) but i dont cast it aside either. A 6th pick is worth something to a team, might not be the habs though.

Gainey did trade Iginla to the Flames for Neuwynkyk (sp?) to get the Stanley Cup.

I know that this was Plek's first PO, and that there's plenty of time for him to evolve, so although he had a terrible no show during them, i wont pass judgement until at least 3 appearences.

I understand that Filatov is not hailed as the next Malkin/Ovechkin, but he's certainly no slouch...and he's spoken on numerous accounts that he wants to come to NA, so that shouldnt be a problem.

Im willing to entertain the idea of Pleks being traded for something we could use. Especially if the habs manage to sign Sundin.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
emb24*

i love these deals, we trade our top line center for a pick and our 2nd line winger for another pick, so that we can be perpetually rebuilding

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
sampollock

if the habs trade up, it is too get a package for the start of a trade offer

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I remember Eklund's wonderful rumor last year that we were going to trade Higgins and Komisarek to move up and get Esposito.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:41 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I remember Eklund's wonderful rumor last year that we were going to trade Higgins and Komisarek to move up and get Esposito.

yes , that is a good point....

ecklunds writes and makes the world wet

he is a knob.

and never right.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Gross overpayment
Two former first round picks well on their way to being core players plus a 1st... for the 6th overall? Dunno about that.
Gross overpayment? 25th+Chipchura+O'Byrne for a superstar winger?

Would you offer a 1st, Chipchura and O'Byrne for Datsyuk or Zetterberg?

Even if Filatov doesn't pan out that well, the Habs still haven't mortgaged their future.