HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

Old
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

This is from a few days ago but..........................................

From Glen Sather's favorite hockey writer-Jim Matheson

Quote:
Sean Avery, who's spending his summer working at Vogue magazine, wants $3.5 million a season. But the New York Rangers, as much as they know that Avery is a huge fan favourite, aren't going to give him that much. He's a third-liner and he's not that popular in his own dressing room
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f0&k=62933&p=2

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:43 PM
ThirdEye

That's not really concrete. The fact that the Rangers won't pay him how much he wants doesn't necessarily mean the two can't bargain a bit when the time comes.

We'll see I guess.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is from a few days ago but..........................................

From Glen Sather's favorite hockey writer-Jim Matheson

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f0&k=62933&p=2
Not any new news, I knew Avery wasn't gonna be back a while ago. He and Sather are both too greedy, plain and simple.

06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's just a disappointment that both sides can not find common ground.Avery was born to play in Manhattan and the Rangers need Avery.

Money talks and ******** walks

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I still think he's coming back

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Sean Avery, who's spending his summer working at Vogue magazine, wants $3.5 million a season. But the New York Rangers, as much as they know that Avery is a huge fan favourite, aren't going to give him that much. He's a third-liner and he's not that popular in his own dressing room
That's the only part of the blurb that I'd put any credence in. The rest is just Matheson's opinion and he obviously does not think very highly of Avery. I doubt he has much info on Avery's popularity in the Rangers locker room.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Don't worry, we got the garbage version of him signing that swedish guy..

Just give him 2.75-3 million a season with bonuses.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
In The Flesh

I really, really, don't want to have to dig out my Fire Sather signs I put away during the lockout. What a moron. He don't sign Avery, he needs to be fired, I'm not kidding. His **** ups out weigh his decent moves by a million miles if this happens.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I really, really, don't want to have to dig out my Fire Sather signs I put away during the lockout. What a moron. He don't sign Avery, he needs to be fired, I'm not kidding. His **** ups out weigh his decent moves by a million miles if this happens.
i agree 100%

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Vitto79

Sad to say but I agree he is a 3rd liner on a championship team....I would love a Dubinsky , Avery , Callahan line with Gomez and Drury centering the top 2 with more skilled forwards

BUT I still think he can be had for 3 million and it's worth it for both sides given all the intangibles he brings

We will see but this report means nothing , still time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
That's not really concrete. The fact that the Rangers won't pay him how much he wants doesn't necessarily mean the two can't bargain a bit when the time comes.

We'll see I guess.
Coming from Mathieson it might be. Sather has used him to dribble out information in the past.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't know. We all remember Drury and his 'take a bullet for Avery' comment during playoffs. Drury is the type of guy to say the right thing no matter what but he wasn't really backed into a corner where he had to either say that or that Avery's a cancer. He just kind of offered that quote.

I also remember when Avery kept getting hurt and he was down on himself, he said to Glen, "nobody will want to sign me". Glen responded with "I want to sign you".

And you're going to tell me that that many hockey minds are ignorant to the Rangers' record with and without Avery?

We'll just have to wait and see. We have to remember, Sean and Glen don't determine the value of Sean... the market does. Come July 1st, Sean will find out if he's worth $3.5m or not. Maybe he let's Glen counter if he gets that offer, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he doesn't get that offer. It's up to 30 gms to figure that number out. Too many variables to even lose sleep over it right now.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I don't have any of my own, but I would gladly make some if he lets Avery go.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki Tawdry View Post
I don't have any of my own, but I would gladly make some if he lets Avery go.
Avery also shares responsibility in making this deal happen

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
otto1219

if avery wants to stay in new york, he'll stay.

personally, i would prefer to use his spot in the lineup for a young player in hartford, and perhaps go after a better player FA this year or next.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
battlerex99

Don't give me any crap about the record with Avery in and out of our lineup. To me that is just an indication of our horrible depth and our lack of grit overall. He's never scored more than 15 goals in his career. That's a third liner at best. That's not worth more than $2 million in my book. Think about it, he was after $2 million in arbitration last year (which he didn't get, mind you). Then he had an injury riddled year in which he recorded 33 points. How is that worth a $1.5 million raise? How is that worth any raise? He's likely hit his ceiling already, so it's not like you're paying for potential...

Bye bye Avery!

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Uh he was after more than $2.0 mil during arbitration.....

Old
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Uh he was after more than $2.0 mil during arbitration.....
Yeah, my bad on that one. I just looked it up, he was after $2.6 million and the Rangers were offering $1.3 million. He ended up getting $1.9 million.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Don't give me any crap about the record with Avery in and out of our lineup. To me that is just an indication of our horrible depth and our lack of grit overall. He's never scored more than 15 goals in his career. That's a third liner at best. That's not worth more than $2 million in my book. Think about it, he was after $2 million in arbitration last year (which he didn't get, mind you). Then he had an injury riddled year in which he recorded 33 points. How is that worth a $1.5 million raise? How is that worth any raise? He's likely hit his ceiling already, so it's not like you're paying for potential...

Bye bye Avery!
Well, like I said a UFA's worth isn't determined by the player or his stats, it's determined by the market.

And as for your distaste for Avery's record: well you can harp on points, I'll focus on results. Seemed like this organization has a pretty crappy trackrecord when they assemble teams based on the back of hockey cards. Seems like we've been alot better since we've been building teams based on character and intangibles along with performance.

Maybe we can replace Avery with this season's Kamensky or maybe we can go for a Bruce Driver on D with Avery's money. They had pretty stat pages too. That ought to build a winner instead of a proven commodity.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
bOnEs516

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Avery also shares responsibility in making this deal happen
That is the truth this isnt just a one way road but the way it has been reported is that Sather is just not looking to negotiate, but everything works two ways. Perhaps if he likes his new home hear in NY he should consider taking whats being offered.

bOnEs516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Well, like I said a UFA's worth isn't determined by the player or his stats, it's determined by the market.

And as for your distaste for Avery's record: well you can harp on points, I'll focus on results. Seemed like this organization has a pretty crappy trackrecord when they assemble teams based on the back of hockey cards. Seems like we've been alot better since we've been building teams based on character and intangibles along with performance.

Maybe we can replace Avery with this season's Kamensky or maybe we can go for a Bruce Driver on D with Avery's money. They had pretty stat pages too. That ought to build a winner instead of a proven commodity.
Do you want to pay $3.5 million for 15 goals and a likely injury? Sorry, but that's not the market. That's what Avery thinks the market is. The fact of the matter, is that most teams won't even try to sign him this offseason if he hits free agency. He's handcuffed. Therefore, we should lowball the hell out of him. He's not going to get close to that amount of money. He's only proven he can play in NY. Nowhere else. And there's no way he goes to the Devils or Islanders. He's screwed over in that regard. Let him hit free agency, and when he goes a month without a contract give him a "lowball" offer which he will accept.

Old
06-17-2008, 08:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOnEs516 View Post
That is the truth this isnt just a one way road but the way it has been reported is that Sather is just not looking to negotiate, but everything works two ways. Perhaps if he likes his new home hear in NY he should consider taking whats being offered.
I think there's just a contingency or fans who are always paranoid that Sather will botch things up.... Whether it be a trade or a player signing..... I think we need to give him more credit... He's not an idiot.... Of course he's willing to negotiate with Avery's agent...

Old
06-17-2008, 08:29 PM
SML

You just can't crack open the checkbook and give him whatever he wants. A comfortable Avery in my mind is one that is going to be distracted and start pulling his circus act. We have to keep him motivated and playing for contracts, it's when he's played his best. I love the guy but that said, you can't get up in the 4+ range for what he brings. He brings alot, but if you give him a ridiculous deal, we will regret it if his train comes off the tracks and we're stuck with him.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I say you play the nickel and dime game with him.

Honestly, we're going to have to go without Avery sometime, might as well be now. He's vital but not for $3,5+ mill. Hell, I don't think I'd be comfortable giving him $3 mill.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
NYRfan11

Personally, I think Avery is worth around 3 mil and I'd be willing to give it to him. I think he means that much to this team. Its a perfect match, he plays well on a variety of lines, he saved the 06-07 season because of what he brings to the table, gets along with the coach. It seems when he's playing he just brings an element that is really difficult to find and I dont really think there are chemistry issues.

However, if the plan is to let him go, why not trade his rights and get something for him or for any of the other UFA's they arent planning on signing. I mean 3 teams are after Malone willing to give up good draft picks.

NYRfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote