HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Transfer Agreement Expires

Old
06-16-2008, 08:54 PM
dashingsilverfox*

vCash: 500
OT-Transfer Agreement Expires

Saw only a passing reference to this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240848

Just wondering what the long term implications might be.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

This seems like it has the makings for gong show playing procurement.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Lowe in Oil

I don't see how this affects the Oilers.

How does it affect the NHL? Perhaps more NA players playing. That can't harm the league can it.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
hfboardsuser

If you're a fan of Detroit or their development model, this is good news. With no transfer agreement, players remain property of a team for umpteen years instead of the two years they were after the lockout.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
tiger_80

The Russians (and to a lesser extent other European leagues) can thump their feet as much as they want, but until they challenge the NHL as #1 league in terms both of competition quality and in terms of pay (not just for journeymen, but for star players), they will continue to lose top talent.

What would it change in the grand scheme of things if say Malkin were under contract for a couple of years with a RSL club? He would serve his contract and then walk for free, joining the NHL a year or two later than he normally would.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:42 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
If you're a fan of Detroit or their development model, this is good news. With no transfer agreement, players remain property of a team for umpteen years instead of the two years they were after the lockout.
Excellent point Mr. Bugg. It would now seem that having above average European scouting is more essential than ever.

Old
06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Unleaded

So basically what you are saying is that the Oilers will hold the rights to Miknov, Bumagin, and Zhukov for ever?

Let the Party begin...?

Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:44 PM
grego

Without anything limiting rights to NHL teams for European players I don't see how this is a smart move to them in Europe.

Sure they dont' like players going to the NHL, but they at least got something.

Now NHL clubs can just wait till the players contract is up and bring them over for no cost. Otherwise let them develop in Europe and they don't have to pay them any money

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:59 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Has that been confirmed or is it still being negotiated? I hadn't heard they had reached an agreement with the NHLPA on that as yet.

As to the agreement falling apart it would appear that this is part and parcel of what has benefitted Canadian teams - the American dollar ain't what it used to be in Europe.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Oilerdiehard

This agreement must have been pretty short. Maybe it is just seems that way that it was not long ago that everyone had signed except the Russians.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
tiger_80

One thing I don't understand is what Russians gained by refusing to sign the transfer agreement all these years? Did they prevent any young Russian players from joining the NHL? NHL appearance of Ovechkin, Malkin, Grebeshkov et al seems to indicate that they have been less than successful in their effort.

Did they succeed in increasing the level of compensation?--does not seem that way.

Did they succeed in re-arranging the existing power structure and deny the NHL the right to draft Russian players?--Nope.

So what is this all about?

Old
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
One thing I don't understand is what Russians gained by refusing to sign the transfer agreement all these years? Did they prevent any young Russian players from joining the NHL? NHL appearance of Ovechkin, Malkin, Grebeshkov et al seems to indicate that they have been less than successful in their effort.

Did they succeed in increasing the level of compensation?--does not seem that way.

Did they succeed in re-arranging the existing power structure and deny the NHL the right to draft Russian players?--Nope.

Maybe they are still a little sore about losing the Cold War!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
honkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
This agreement must have been pretty short. Maybe it is just seems that way that it was not long ago that everyone had signed except the Russians.
The agreement expired this year, there was an option extend it for one more year but the Czech Republic said no.

I think the two main reason for not renewing it is:
1. The money, 200K doesn't get you anything near the quality to replace the player lost.

2. The time frame, that NHL only had 2 years?(I'm no CBA expert)to sign drafted players. Forcing NHL to go after players that are not even close to be NHL ready instead of letting them continue development in their home country.

The NHL need to find a way and a willingness to pay for the talent.

honkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
One thing I don't understand is what Russians gained by refusing to sign the transfer agreement all these years?

Just guessing but there are at least two things here. First is rising nationalism in Russia and some hugely rich people wanting to keep their players at home.

For the rest of the continent I suspect it is as much about money as anything. They were getting the equivalent of about 200,000 Euros a few years ago when the dollar was at a certain level. Now they are down to about 133,000 Euros. The American dollar is in the crapper. They want an adjustment that takes that into account and apparently Gary doesn't want to give.

If I am a young guy playing hockey in Europe and want to play in the NHL I just come over and play major junior for a year.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Maybe they are still a little sore about losing the Cold War!

Well, this is probably a huge part of it.

Sports is an extremely important symbolic field in Putin's Russia, much like it was in the Soviet Union.

See, e.g., local reactions to Russian hockey team's victory over Canada in the IIHF championship. At times I felt at a loss what tournement team Russia won--the second rate hockey event that takes place every year and which many top players routinely ignore or the world cup of soccer...:

At any event, I suspect the Russia's abstinence has more to do with "stick it to the West"/"Russia is great" attitude, with NHL being widely perceived as another "American" tool rather than with any financial considerations.

Slava Fetisov has, of course, served as a minister of sports in a number of Russian governments under Putin's presidency.

Old
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Just guessing but there are at least two things here. First is rising nationalism in Russia and some hugely rich people wanting to keep their players at home.

For the rest of the continent I suspect it is as much about money as anything. They were getting the equivalent of about 200,000 Euros a few years ago when the dollar was at a certain level. Now they are down to about 133,000 Euros. The American dollar is in the crapper. They want an adjustment that takes that into account and apparently Gary doesn't want to give.

If I am a young guy playing hockey in Europe and want to play in the NHL I just come over and play major junior for a year.
Yeah...I just don't see the Europeans having any leverage here. North American courts have already ruled against legal restrictions on player movement so, unless the Europeans can outbid NHL teams, they're left dangling.