HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf graces NHL 09 cover ...

Old
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Fortboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm1Crosby0 View Post
No, just his forehead.
what about the neck bolts? Did they fit those on the cover too??

Fortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Ogopogo*

They could just use the movie cover he did for 'Brokeback Mountain'

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
edmonton_ice

Horrible

I hope he gets the NFL Madden Curse and get's hurt. Worst cover ever!

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Harley

I'd rather play pong on a commodore 64.

They should have him in a sniper game though. Be fun blowing his head apart with a 300 yard sniper shot.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
They could just use the movie cover he did for 'Brokeback Mountain'
No, that was Iggy and Kipper. Dion's was The Crying Game.

Last edited by Psycho Dad: 05-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 16 View Post
No, that was Iggy and Kipper. Dion's was The Crying Game.

You don't think Phaneuf looks like Heath Ledger's twin?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
You don't think Phaneuf looks like Heath Ledger's twin?
Do you mean right now or before that rather unfortunate set of circumstances?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I'd rather play pong on a commodore 64.

They should have him in a sniper game though. Be fun blowing his head apart with a 300 yard sniper shot.
ah but thats too easy though. You wouldn't need the scope, just aim your gun anywhere on the screen you'd probably hit that big ol' head.

to any flames fan coming in here cryibg murder, we're joking around.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I get the hate-on for Phaneuf. Plays for the 'enemy'; hyped (somewhat overly) by knowledgeable experts; and all the other stuff that comes with being a top, young talent. That said, here is an interesting stat that puts him into very, very rare company of peers.

The kid is a phenomenal talent who at 22/23 is not yet the sum of his part. Project him at 28 and I think it will be hard to find much flaw in his game. It is basically impossible to be an all tool defenseman. Ever. Now factor in the guy in question is 22/23. Credit where credit is due. Respect where it is due:

Dion Phaneuf has connected for at least 15 goals in three seasons, all before his 22nd birthday. Only five other NHL defensemen have done so: Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Denis Potvin, Paul Coffey, and Phil Housley. All but Housley are in the Hall of Fame.

source: one of the daily newspapers.
I don't deny that the kid's a force on the blueline... for the first 82 games of the season. For sure, he has a great shot, he appears to play the game well positionally and has some hockey IQ (when he isn't drawn out of position seeking the big hit), and ANY GM would take him on their squad in a heartbeat.

But he's fast building a reputation for being a big hitter that talks tough but won't back up his bs with players his size or an ounce larger. He yaps like a pissed off school girl, contorts his gorilla face into even more of a frown than you'd think possible, pushes the likes of Hemsky, Cammalleri, or the like around, then squeals to the bench and hides behind his teammates for protection. Sorry, that means ZERO respect in my book.

And back to my point about his 82 game season - his game changes in the playoffs. He becomes the invisible man. I know that this is a trait of a younger player, but let's put all this Norris Trophy talk on hold until he can show the fortitude to show up when it counts.

For all this, and the fact he's somehow managed to land Cuthbert , I hope he suffers hockey's version of the Madden Curse.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 1650
Does it show him parked on the corner of a mountain road, his masculine cowboy hat in place, parked in his avalon peach miata, a smoke posed joe-camel-style-cool between his front teeth?

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
I don't deny that the kid's a force on the blueline... for the first 82 games of the season. For sure, he has a great shot, he appears to play the game well positionally and has some hockey IQ (when he isn't drawn out of position seeking the big hit), and ANY GM would take him on their squad in a heartbeat.

But he's fast building a reputation for being a big hitter that talks tough but won't back up his bs with players his size or an ounce larger. He yaps like a pissed off school girl, contorts his gorilla face into even more of a frown than you'd think possible, pushes the likes of Hemsky, Cammalleri, or the like around, then squeals to the bench and hides behind his teammates for protection. Sorry, that means ZERO respect in my book.

And back to my point about his 82 game season - his game changes in the playoffs. He becomes the invisible man. I know that this is a trait of a younger player, but let's put all this Norris Trophy talk on hold until he can show the fortitude to show up when it counts.

For all this, and the fact he's somehow managed to land Cuthbert , I hope he suffers hockey's version of the Madden Curse.
You're crazy. He had a seperated shoulder one playoff year and a broken bone in his foot in the other. This playoff year he was fantastic, logging 27 minutes a game getting 6 points I believe in a 7 game series. He delivered this playoffs because he was healthy. The criticism about he needing to round out his defensive game is warranted, but he's only 23. That will come.

As for the criticism about him not backing up his talk, that's BS. He fought 10 times last year against bigger guys like Lilja, Bertuzzi twice, Jovanowski, Tkachunk, Burns, Doan, Moen and people like that. He only fights guys like Veilleux that jump him and he obliges. There are youtube videos of him picking on Boogaard with his hits. Of course he didn't fight because how many Norris nominated defenseman would? It's not worth the tradeoff, nor should he fight Boogaard. You wouldn't send your best defenseman out to do that.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:33 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
You're crazy. He had a seperated shoulder one playoff year and a broken bone in his foot in the other. This playoff year he was fantastic, logging 27 minutes a game getting 6 points I believe in a 7 game series. He delivered this playoffs because he was healthy. The criticism about he needing to round out his defensive game is warranted, but he's only 23. That will come.

As for the criticism about him not backing up his talk, that's BS. He fought 10 times last year against bigger guys like Lilja, Bertuzzi twice, Jovanowski, Tkachunk, Burns, Doan, Moen and people like that. He only fights guys like Veilleux that jump him and he obliges. There are youtube videos of him picking on Boogaard with his hits. Of course he didn't fight because how many Norris nominated defenseman would? It's not worth the tradeoff, nor should he fight Boogaard. You wouldn't send your best defenseman out to do that.

You just be quiet with your facts...We don't need no stinking facts to form our opinions thankyouverymuch!
Just be glad that EA decided to keep the cover athlete in Alberta when our best defenseman, Steve Staois, declined....

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Scrodo Baggins

They should put a couple famous puck bunnies on the cover like Elisha Cuthbert and Alyssa Milano. That would help the sales!!

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:27 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
I'm surprised none of you posted the mock cover I made.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:42 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgtIy5e48ko

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:43 PM
The Smytty Clapper

at least we can just put in a new cover.
but if there's some stupid video intro with just him, i'll throw up.

and 2 flamers since 2003? *** is up with that?

The Smytty Clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Offshore Oil

Anyone have any ideas

about how EA decides who their cover boy is? An odd choice with so many brighter lights out there (Luongo, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom, Zetterberg)... is there money involved? Do the agents negotiate with the company? Are there royalties? Is it something done for free to raise the athlete's profile?
Jealousy aside, it's still a queer choice

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I hope he gets hit with the "EA Sport Cover Curse"
LMAO I was just thinking that right before I read your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore Oil View Post
about how EA decides who their cover boy is? An odd choice with so many brighter lights out there (Luongo, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom, Zetterberg)... is there money involved? Do the agents negotiate with the company? Are there royalties? Is it something done for free to raise the athlete's profile?
Jealousy aside, it's still a queer choice

I don't know about the NHL but Ladanian Tomlinson of the Chargers turned down the cover of a Madden game recently. He said that they payed him X amount of dollars (low six figures if memory serves) and he had to do a bunch of promotional appearances as well. I know there was something else but he turned them (EA) down.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Offshore Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
LMAO I was just thinking that right before I read your post.

I don't know about the NHL but Ladanian Tomlinson of the Chargers turned down the cover of a Madden game recently. He said that they payed him X amount of dollars (low six figures if memory serves) and he had to do a bunch of promotional appearances as well. I know there was something else but he turned them (EA) down.
Thanks - that explains a bit why it's not an 'elite' gig.

And... go Oranje

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
The Dion is so dreamy.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:14 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Something I made up quickly that people can just slide in the front of their case.

Xbox 360 version on its way.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 06-21-2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: 360 note
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:17 AM
blackwater

vCash: 50
that's frickin awsome dude, thanks...

and printing it out as i type this...

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote