HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

need some help here

Old
06-17-2008, 09:18 PM
paulytits

vCash: 500
need some help here

im thinking of ordering a hockey stick online, but really have no clue how to go about measuring a hockey stick so its a good size for me. i know it needs to be up to your chin or nose area, but i dont know the sizing of the actual sticks. im about 5'7 so i dont know if a jr or sr stick would be better. i see labels like 50 flex, 65 flex, 75 flex, 85 even 100.. what does all this even mean?

any help would be awesome!

paulytits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulytits View Post
im thinking of ordering a hockey stick online, but really have no clue how to go about measuring a hockey stick so its a good size for me. i know it needs to be up to your chin or nose area, but i dont know the sizing of the actual sticks. im about 5'7 so i dont know if a jr or sr stick would be better. i see labels like 50 flex, 65 flex, 75 flex, 85 even 100.. what does all this even mean?

any help would be awesome!
I forget exactly what the exact meaning for flex is, but it's that number of a certain amount of force to bend the stick to a certain angle (someone fill in the parts I'm missing). So basically, the higher the stick, the stiffer the stick. Having a lower flex can help because it causes your stick to bend back when you make contact with the ground and then as you move it forward it will snap forward a bit. Once your shot gets better, you can step up to higher flexes.

With your height, you're at a good height where you can go either Senior size or Intermediate size. Might be worth going with a Senior stick because if its too long you could always cut it down (note, cutting a stick increases the flex).

I'm sure others may have better ideas then me, but a good way to figure out your stick is to buy a wood stick. It's cheap and you can figure out if you like the curve and length of the stick. If the stick is too long, you can easily cut it down. If you don't like the curve, you can easily buy a new one. When you finally find the stick and curve you like, step up to a medium flex (roughly 70's for Intermediate, 85-90 for Senior) composite, and go from there.

The thing I've found with hockey stick is you can't buy just one. You'll always be looking to improve. If you have a good second-hand store close to you, you can buy sticks for cheap and sell back the ones you don't like so its not a total loss. Hope this helps a bit.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
50-52 Flex = Junior stick
65-67 Flex = Intermediate stick
77 and up = Senior stick

How old are you? What level of hockey will you be playing? Do you have a heavy shot?

I ask because some young adults can get away with an intermediate stick, depending on skill level.

Stay clear of junior sticks though. You'll snap those without much force.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

oh my god dude, I just wrote a like 2 page guide on picking the right stick and my damn browser crashed and its all gone!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Buy the whippiest (lowest flex) senior shaft you can get. Then you can try out different blade curve patterns as well.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
paulytits

im 20(as of today woo!) but i dont play serious.. me and my friends play at a local rink, and i never learned how to rollerblade so im stuck running around. still fun though. i was just wanting to get a elias stick, and if it doesnt work out.. then that goes perfectly for something to get autographed if ever giving the chance!

Old
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
AHF

Another thing that you may want to know regarding sticks...

The name on the stick is representative of the blade pattern on the stick. You could have 'Elias' on 10 different sticks...they will all have the same curve. It doesn't mean Elias uses that particular stick.

From the sounds of it, you could get away with an intermediate, but if you want to go to a senior, look for a 77 flex. 85 and up will likely be a lil' too stiff for you.

...and you probably won't need to cut down an intermediate, while you'd have to cut down a SR a couple inches, and that'll make the stick a little stiffer.

Which stick are you looking at getting? Got a link?

Old
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
paulytits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Another thing that you may want to know regarding sticks...

The name on the stick is representative of the blade pattern on the stick. You could have 'Elias' on 10 different sticks...they will all have the same curve. It doesn't mean Elias uses that particular stick.

From the sounds of it, you could get away with an intermediate, but if you want to go to a senior, look for a 77 flex. 85 and up will likely be a lil' too stiff for you.

...and you probably won't need to cut down an intermediate, while you'd have to cut down a SR a couple inches, and that'll make the stick a little stiffer.

Which stick are you looking at getting? Got a link?

found a nice one on hockeygiant,

http://www.hockeygiant.com/mishx1grpstkint.html

75 flex, INT. doesnt seem to bad from what youve just said.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
AHF

Looks good to me. I don't think you should have a problem with it. 75 flex should be perfect for you.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
paulytits

thanks for the help man. also with composite sticks... should they be used for strictly ice hockey only? cause i just play on a roller hockey rink.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulytits View Post
thanks for the help man. also with composite sticks... should they be used for strictly ice hockey only? cause i just play on a roller hockey rink.
The rough concrete kind or the smooth tiled kind? Composite blades do just fine on tiled sportcourt/ice court.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
paulytits

im pretty sure the two places i normally go to are both concrete. but they arent in horrible condition.