HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: Kevin Olszewski - Is He For Real?

Old
06-18-2008, 12:23 AM
420ilerBuzz*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
OT: Kevin Olszewski - Is He For Real?

While watching the CTV Winnepeg feed waiting for The Daily Show, I caught the tail end of their newscast. Kevin Olszewski, the sports reporter said that "while he has six Stanley Cup rings, Anderson's talent was MARGINAL at best and he just rode other player's coattails."

I don't think I've heard such a moronic statement by a person in the reporting business in quite some time.

Was it that kind of mentality that kept Andy out of the HOF until now? It seems as you head east, the reporters and journalists become more ignorant to the kind of player Anderson was.

Sorry if this didn't warrant another thread mods, I was just dumbfounded how this 'reporter' could say that.

Last edited by 420ilerBuzz*: 06-18-2008 at 12:28 AM.
420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Raoul Duke*

Well, keep in mind TSN's story about Anderson getting in had more words to say about him playing on the 1993 Toronto Maple Leafs losing in the conference finals than they did about his 6 Stanley Cups.

The closer you get to "the center of the universe", the less you should pay attention.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:08 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post

While watching the CTV Winnepeg feed waiting for The Daily Show, I caught the tail end of their newscast. Kevin Olszewski, the sports reporter said that "while he has six Stanley Cup rings, Anderson's talent was MARGINAL at best and he just rode other player's coattails."

I don't think I've heard such a moronic statement by a person in the reporting business in quite some time.

Was it that kind of mentality that kept Andy out of the HOF until now? It seems as you head east, the reporters and journalists become more ignorant to the kind of player Anderson was.

Sorry if this didn't warrant another thread mods, I was just dumbfounded how this 'reporter' could say that.
How old is this guy anyway? Did he even watch Anderson play? Andy invented crashing the net. The reason the Oilers won 5 Stanley cups in 7 years was because they had a second line that was better the almost every team's first line. On that second line, the mainstays were always Messier and Anderson, and a succession of wingers du jour. I don't normally get this mad, but that's a joke. Anderson is WAY overdue, and the HHOF has finally addressed it's longest standing snub. This Olszewski guy needs to get a clue.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:10 AM
VelvetJones

Ignore the press.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Senor Catface

Every great player will have his fair share of detractors, and Anderson will be no exception. I personally think Neely should be in the Hall, but a lot of people think otherwise. Even Gretzky has people who think he's an overrated element of the past.

What we can take from this is basically who cares what this guy thinks? Even though I saw his goals when I was young, I'll never forget him. We saw what he did and what we added to the team and that's all that matters. So I take comfort in the fact I could care less what some guy with a Party of Five era goatee thinks.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Methinks Kevin Olszewski holds some sort of grudge against Anderson for the many times that ol' #9 and Co. stopped his quite-talented Jets team from reaching the Conference Finals.

All those game-winning heroics must completely devastate an opponent's psyche...

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote