HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

Old
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
This is all believable..

it's believable that Avery's a cancer, that he wants $3.5MM and Sather doesn't want to pay him $3.5MM. But as Mugerya points out, if other teams don't think he's worth $3.5MM, Sather will still have a chance to sign him for less. We shall see...just a couple more weeks.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:52 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's believable that Avery's a cancer, that he wants $3.5MM and Sather doesn't want to pay him $3.5MM. But as Mugerya points out, if other teams don't think he's worth $3.5MM, Sather will still have a chance to sign him for less. We shall see...just a couple more weeks.
Very true(overall message)..but honestly....do you think there is not one very desperate team out there that won't offer him 3.5?

Heck I think he could get 3 million from 25% of the teams....I doubt many teams will drop out of the running for another $500,000...(Sure every fan against him hates him ...but every smart GM knows what he brings..something that 99% of the other players in the NHL doesn't..)

If Sather lets him go....he will be signed by someone very fast IMO for the 3.5 he wants.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Very true(overall message)..but honestly....do you think there is not one very desperate team out there that won't offer him 3.5?

Heck I think he could get 3 million from 25% of the teams....I doubt many teams will drop out of the running for another $500,000...(Sure every fan against him hates him ...but every smart GM knows what he brings..something that 99% of the other players in the NHL doesn't..)

If Sather lets him go....he will be signed by someone very fast IMO for the 3.5 he wants.
the thing i dont understand is this...why not sign him for what he wants and if he becomes a cancer trade him.....there are, im sure, a ton of teams who would love to add avery for a playoff run or for a spark if he doesnt work out here, and if he does, then even better

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Do you want to pay $3.5 million for 15 goals and a likely injury? Sorry, but that's not the market. That's what Avery thinks the market is. The fact of the matter, is that most teams won't even try to sign him this offseason if he hits free agency. He's handcuffed. Therefore, we should lowball the hell out of him. He's not going to get close to that amount of money. He's only proven he can play in NY. Nowhere else. And there's no way he goes to the Devils or Islanders. He's screwed over in that regard. Let him hit free agency, and when he goes a month without a contract give him a "lowball" offer which he will accept.
Fact of the matter? Show me sources and I'll buy it as fact. And how is there no way he goes to the Devils or Islanders? Are you just making stuff up? Show me sources and links and I'll believe you. Until then, I think you're blowing smoke.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Don't worry, we got the garbage version of him signing that swedish guy..

Just give him 2.75-3 million a season with bonuses.
I could be wrong but I don't think Avery would qualify for any bonuses...Doesn't a player have to be over 35?

Either way I would sign Avery to a 3 year $3.5M contract. What's Sather trying to save here $600,000 or $700,000...I think Sather has already tipped his hand in Delepinas blog a few weeks back when he called "even letting Avery become a free agent is a bit of a mistake" I don't think Sather would admit making a mistake before the fact. ..

If Avery has a problem with teammates off the ice that's why Tom Renney is here and that's why you have the leadership in the room. (Drury Gomez etc)

I can't see a player having a problem with Avery ON THE ICE where it matters most. Look at the game in Carolina in Febuaray. Gomez gets drilled by a Huricanes player and two Rangers (Staal and Rozsival) did nothing but there was Avery flying in across the TV screen sticking up for his teammate. Avery is worth every penny he's going to get as a free agent. Are there troubling signs with Avery? I couldn't deny that but Avery is such a unique asset it's hard to justify not paying him.

To me this isn't about the Rangers record with him in the lineup... (Look at the record with Malik in the lineup if you want to put BS stats into perspective) To me it's about next season...worry about the seasons after next when you need to. A $3.5M contract for a guy who has a third line player label yet has played on the top 2 lines since he became a Rangers player is justified heck it's a bargain at todays prices.... Is he a top two line player? on paper he isn't but the game isn't being played on paper...

Would it shock me if Avery finished a 3 year contract with the Rangers? Yeah, it probably would but without a no movement clause a $3.5M contract for Sean Avery would be easy to move if need be.

I think the Rangers are stupid for letting the Avery issue get this far. They should've signed him last offseason....They should've signed him in January.....They should've signed him earlier this month.....It just doesn't make any sense to me....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think Avery would qualify for any bonuses...Doesn't a player have to be over 35?

Either way I would sign Avery to a 3 year $3.5M contract. What's Sather trying to save here $600,000 or $700,000...I think Sather has already tipped his hand in Delepinas blog a few weeks back when he called "even letting Avery become a free agent is a bit of a mistake" I don't think Sather would admit making a mistake before the fact. ..

If Avery has a problem with teammates off the ice that's why Tom Renney is here and that's why you have the leadership in the room. (Drury Gomez etc)

I can't see a player having a problem with Avery ON THE ICE where it matters most. Look at the game in Carolina in Febuaray. Gomez gets drilled by a Huricanes player and two Rangers (Staal and Rozsival) did nothing but there was Avery flying in across the TV screen sticking up for his teammate. Avery is worth every penny he's going to get as a free agent. Are there troubling signs with Avery? I couldn't deny that but Avery is such a unique asset it's hard to justify not paying him.

To me this isn't about the Rangers record with him in the lineup... (Look at the record with Malik in the lineup if you want to put BS stats into perspective) To me it's about next season...worry about the seasons after next when you need to. A $3.5M contract for a guy who has a third line player label yet has played on the top 2 lines since he became a Rangers player is justified heck it's a bargain at todays prices.... Is he a top two line player? on paper he isn't but the game isn't being played on paper...

Would it shock me if Avery finished a 3 year contract with the Rangers? Yeah, it probably would but without a no movement clause a $3.5M contract for Sean Avery would be easy to move if need be.

I think the Rangers are stupid for letting the Avery issue get this far. They should've signed him last offseason....They should've signed him in January.....They should've signed him earlier this month.....It just doesn't make any sense to me....
i absolutely agree with everything you have said

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:

Wow, very impressive. I agree 100%

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
beastly115

Quote:

On that note, why weren't any of our FA's signed during the season? I can see Straka, Jagr, and Shanny because they're thinking about retiring but it doesn't make sense that the others weren't signed unless they weren't being brought back...

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
On that note, why weren't any of our FA's signed during the season? I can see Straka, Jagr, and Shanny because they're thinking about retiring but it doesn't make sense that the others weren't signed unless they weren't being brought back...
I think the simplest answer is because most of the Unrestricted Free Agents to be either didn't earn a contract or didn't want to negotiate during the season...

Old
06-17-2008, 11:03 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

I think from Glen's perspective, that extra $600-700k might just be needed for him to lure a Hossa or Redden in. He's trying not to over commit to keep his options open, only someone really should have told him that last summer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think from Glen's perspective, that extra $600-700k might just be needed for him to lure a Hossa or Redden in. He's trying not to over commit to keep his options open, only someone really should have told him that last summer.
If that's the case then we can all thank Brendan Shanahan (who only "wanted" to be a Rangers player last season...)and his incentives for this..

Anyway..

I don't think Avery's demands are over-commiting and if the Rangers need $600k or $700k from a player then can waive Hollweg or Backman or trade Prucha...Averys contract IMO wouldn't be potential "deadweight" on the salary cap..

With depth players still on two-way contracts the Rangers can have a 21 or 22 man roster next season and save cap room when need be..

Old
06-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Well, if they re-signed Rozsival early in the year when he was scoring goals like he was Bobby Orr then we would be stuck with him having a huge contract and not living up to it. Sometimes it can pay off to wait.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
If that's the case then we can all thank Brendan Shanahan (who only "wanted" to be a Rangers player last season...)and his incentives for this..

Anyway..

I don't think Avery's demands are over-commiting and if the Rangers need $600k or $700k from a player then can waive Hollweg or Backman or trade Prucha...Averys contract IMO wouldn't be potential "deadweight" on the salary cap..

With depth players still on two-way contracts the Rangers can have a 21 or 22 man roster next season and save cap room when need be..
Oh, I agree with you. Uncle Glen just might not.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Heat McManus

I saw him today. He didn't look too worried. He was on his way to either getting his nails done or getting a tan depending on which service he opted for. I think Avery might want to think about what other NHL cities he can do that in and still enjoy the love of the fans like he has. LA? That door is shut. Miami? Maybe. Good luck playing for Pete DeBoer though. He really is in a good position in NYC where it lets him be who he is.

I've heard he's pretty tight with a few guys on the team. According to one Ranger the team doesn't "hate him". While he may not be the most popular player in the locker room, he's probably not the most despised.

I think his teammates would be blind if they didn't recognize the contribution he puts forth on the ice. Furthermore, the Rangers front-office would be blind as well.

Unless they have been able to keep under wraps developments where Avery has emerged as a complete cancer (which is possible, but unlikely in NY) I think it comes down to cold hard cash.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

vakar, how do you have connections to the players?

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
vakar, how do you have connections to the players?
Random acquaintances. Honestly, I just work in a good location and meet people through that.

With Avery today, I was just walking on the street in Manhattan and found myself standing next to him. I was going to say something to him, but he had his headphones on and seemed like he was in a bit of a hurry.

I don't know Sean Avery.

That, and I'm Eklund, hehe.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Don't worry, we got the garbage version of him signing that swedish guy..

Just give him 2.75-3 million a season with bonuses.
I don't think he's eligible for bonuses

if Avery's a 3rd liner, I'm curious as to where all those ES points came from

if 3.5 is too much for Avery, I don't think the Rangers are going to find too much they find reasonable in the UFA market

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think he's eligible for bonuses

if Avery's a 3rd liner, I'm curious as to where all those ES points came from

if 3.5 is too much for Avery, I don't think the Rangers are going to find too much they find reasonable in the UFA market
Why would he not be elligible for bonuses?

Old
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Why would he not be elligible for bonuses?
he's not a rookie and he's not 35

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he's not a rookie and he's not 35
touche'

Old
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Cherepanov 71

If we somehow let Avery go who replaces him? I dont mean the agitator, I mean on the first line if Jagr and Dubinsky are there?

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
If we somehow let Avery go who replaces him? I dont mean the agitator, I mean on the first line if Jagr and Dubinsky are there?
Avery really shouldn't be playing on the first line in the first place.

06-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Avery really shouldn't be playing on the first line in the first place.
I know he isnt a first line player but they had very good chemistry.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
I know he isnt a first line player but they had very good chemistry.
They had a good "honeymoon period", just like almost every other line that the Rangers put together this season. Production jumped for the first 5-10 games, then it stalled again. People tend to forget this when thinking of the Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr line.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
They had a good "honeymoon period", just like almost every other line that the Rangers put together this season. Production jumped for the first 5-10 games, then it stalled again. People tend to forget this when thinking of the Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr line.
They did very well in the playoffs until Avery's injury.