HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

Old
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
That would be a huge mistake. The team is MUCH better with him in the lineup than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is from a few days ago but..........................................

From Glen Sather's favorite hockey writer-Jim Matheson

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f0&k=62933&p=2

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
That would be a huge mistake. The team is MUCH better with him in the lineup than not.
They're better with Malik in the lineup as well, but I don't see anyone campaigning to bring him back.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
McRanger23

Avery will be break first. Sather willl probably stand pat at 2.75 mil and say to Sean take it or leave it and if he takes it great, if he doesn't, hes making a big mistake. However if he dosent sign I think Slats will go hardf after Ryan Malone.

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDrury23 View Post
Avery will be break first. Sather willl probably stand pat at 2.75 mil and say to Sean take it or leave it and if he takes it great, if he doesn't, hes making a big mistake. However if he dosent sign I think Slats will go hardf after Ryan Malone.
yea we still dont have a big body to screen the goalie, and yea jagr is big but when was the last time he screened the goalie??

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I don't think Avery's demands are over-commiting and if the Rangers need $600k or $700k from a player then can waive Hollweg or Backman or trade Prucha...Averys contract IMO wouldn't be potential "deadweight" on the salary cap..

With depth players still on two-way contracts the Rangers can have a 21 or 22 man roster next season and save cap room when need be..
I think it remains to be seen. You're only going to be able to grossly overpay 1, maybe 2 players. If one of them is Avery, there's still an enormous hill to be climbed in terms of improving the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
I know he isnt a first line player but they had very good chemistry.
The problem is, it's just not enough. Someone on the team has to consistently step up offensively to pull the Rangers out of the basement in terms of offensive production and it's not going to be Avery.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Are some of you serious with this?

Fire Sather and a new dark age for the Rangers if AVERY doesn't get resigned?

He is NOT an elite player, he is NOT a top 6 forward. He is NOT worth 3.5 or even 3 mil per.

Can we get real here? The Rangers DO NOT need Avery, especially at that price.

And for those saying to resign him based on chemistry with Jagr... this is NOT Jagr's team anymore. We are not building our team based on 36 year old Jagr's needs. Sorry.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Are some of you serious with this?

Fire Sather and a new dark age for the Rangers if AVERY doesn't get resigned?

He is NOT an elite player, he is NOT a top 6 forward. He is NOT worth 3.5 or even 3 mil per.

Can we get real here? The Rangers DO NOT need Avery, especially at that price.

And for those saying to resign him based on chemistry with Jagr... this is NOT Jagr's team anymore. We are not building our team based on 36 year old Jagr's needs. Sorry.
I find myself agreeing w/ you alot today. Which is weird b/c usually we don't agree. But once again here I am agreeing w/ everything you said.

but I think we should still sign Jagr for one more year. Not build a team around him, but we still need his services. He still is the best offensive weapon on the team, and also I think he more importantly will continue to develop Dubinsky more than anybody else could. Having Jagr for one more year might be in the best interests of the team for that sole reason alone. He greatly improved Dubi, and I think next year will make him an even better player than we thought he could be at the end of last year.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I find myself agreeing w/ you alot today. Which is weird b/c usually we don't agree. But once again here I am agreeing w/ everything you said.

but I think we should still sign Jagr for one more year. Not build a team around him, but we still need his services.
He still is the best offensive weapon on the team, and also I think he more importantly will continue to develop Dubinsky more than anybody else could. Having Jagr for one more year might be in the best interests of the team for that sole reason alone. He greatly improved Dubi, and I think next year will make him an even better player than we thought he could be at the end of last year.
I agree.

Bringing him back for at least one more year would be a smart move.

But we can not afford to continue building based on his needs. That means no more deals at the deadline to satisfy his needs, no more off season signings like Rucinsky or some horrible waste of money to satisfy his needs.

He will play with who Renney puts on the ice, and he will like it, or he can go to Russia.

I don't mean to be mean, he is my favorite player right now on the Rangers, but this catering to him has to end.

And signing Avery for 3 or 3.5 is sheer lunacy.

2 - 2.5 MAX for Avery. Even that may be too much.

x - Gomez - x
Dawes - Drury - x
Callahan - Dubinsky - Korpikoski
Byers/Moore/Orr/Hollweg - Betts - Byers/Moore/Orr/Hollweg

This just based on depth chart

3 of the top 4 wings need to be filled. And we don't know if Sjostrom will return either.

With 16 mil wrapped u in Drury and Gomez alone, there is no way possible that we can afford to just hand Avery 3 - 3.5 per. Let him walk and struggle to fit in else where if he wants to be greedy.

Old
06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I agree.

Bringing him back for at least one more year would be a smart move.

But we can not afford to continue building based on his needs. That means no more deals at the deadline to satisfy his needs, no more off season signings like Rucinsky or some horrible waste of money to satisfy his needs.

He will play with who Renney puts on the ice, and he will like it, or he can go to Russia.

I don't mean to be mean, he is my favorite player right now on the Rangers, but this catering to him has to end.

And signing Avery for 3 or 3.5 is sheer lunacy.

2 - 2.5 MAX for Avery. Even that may be too much.

With 16 mil wrapped u in Drury and Gomez alone, there is no way possible that we can afford to just hand Avery 3 - 3.5 per. Let him walk and struggle to fit in else where if he wants to be greedy.
agreed 100%

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They're better with Malik in the lineup as well, but I don't see anyone campaigning to bring him back.
Must have missed my threads

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I wouldn't sign Avery for more than 2.5. Personally I don't see what he did last season to warrant even a 600k increase in salary. He sure didn't perform any better than when he was rewarded 1.9 million by a third party arbitrator.

What has he done? He pissed off everyone on the other team and turned everything into a circus. The Rangers won a lot of games with him in the lineup, big deal. You ever see their record with Malik out of the lineup, it's not great either. Whenever you take a regular out of the lineup and stick someone else there the team won't play as well if they aren't deep.

Avery hasn't showed anything in the playoffs except that he can piss off Brodeur and Kovalchuk, but against the truly elite teams he disappears.

In addition, Avery has never played a game as a Ranger where his contract wasn't up the following season. How will Avery play if has a three year contract at 3.5 million? When he isn't playing for the money but instead to actually win. Yeah, how many players do we see have great contract years and then stink after their big paydays. You think someone like Avery would be any different?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Vitto79

I am fine with Sather being tough with Avery cause if he wants to stay he will take just under 3 million..............he is getting notice because he is in NY and the Islanders are not Broadway so that rumor is dumb......but may happen

Jagr needs to stay one more yr.............Michael Ryder should be a big target for the Gomez line because he is affordable

Also heard Wade Redden

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15727

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Must have missed my threads
Sorry.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

If look at the type of $$$$ Columbus was/is prepared to throw at Ryan Malone($4.5 million-$5.5 million per),Sean Avery isn't going to settle for $2.75 million and Slats isn't raising his offer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Nich

Quote:
If look at the type of $$$$ Columbus was/is prepared to throw at Ryan Malone($4.5 million-$5.5 million per),Sean Avery isn't going to settle for $2.75 million and Slats isn't raising his offer.
and 4.5 is at least 1.5 to much for malone....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
nyrangers23

honestly who in the rangers lockeroom didnt like avery? guys like malik, rossival, straka? how much time do you spend in the lockeroom compared to being on the ice? is he asking for too much at 3.5 mill yea, but i guarantee sather will sign him 2 yrs around 2.8 per cuz he brings too much to the table every game , every shift and he knows that new york and only ny is where he belongs.

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Avery is on the hook here, too. He had an injury plagued season, plus not a little bit of controversy with the league. He's really not in a prime negotiating position.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I wouldn't sign Avery for more than 2.5. Personally I don't see what he did last season to warrant even a 600k increase in salary. He sure didn't perform any better than when he was rewarded 1.9 million by a third party arbitrator.

What has he done? He pissed off everyone on the other team and turned everything into a circus. The Rangers won a lot of games with him in the lineup, big deal. You ever see their record with Malik out of the lineup, it's not great either. Whenever you take a regular out of the lineup and stick someone else there the team won't play as well if they aren't deep.

Avery hasn't showed anything in the playoffs except that he can piss off Brodeur and Kovalchuk, but against the truly elite teams he disappears.

In addition, Avery has never played a game as a Ranger where his contract wasn't up the following season. How will Avery play if has a three year contract at 3.5 million? When he isn't playing for the money but instead to actually win. Yeah, how many players do we see have great contract years and then stink after their big paydays. You think someone like Avery would be any different?
I agree.

IMO, Avery's money is better spent on a skilled, scoring winger for Gomez.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Good.

So lets some other fools overpay for these guys.

I'd save the big money for game breaking players like Kovalchuk.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
94now

Sather is doing his job. So does Avery's agent. I wouldn't go over 10 million over 3 years, but it is up to Sather. I don't care. He is top 6 forward FOR THIS TEAM. May be on other team he could be on 4th, all I know he is and will be paid to play on Rangers.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
He is top 6 forward FOR THIS TEAM.
He WAS a top 6 forward for this team because no one besides Jagr, on occasion, was up to the task.

The slate is clean and Sather has the opportunity to remedy the situation. In a perfect world, he assembles a top 6 that keeps Avery where he belongs, in the lower half of the lineup as a role player, and compensated as such.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Fletch

If Avery kept his head...

in the game, he is a top six forward. But what needs to be realized is we're talking about a 28 year old who has a few more goals than Prucha over the course of his career in a few less games. And we don't really know how he was in the locker room and how that affected others in the locker room. Sure, coaches and vets are there to mitigate any strife, but at the same time they're not babysitters.

But the sad part is here we are three years removed from the lockout, three seasons of playoffs, and we're still talking about must-need players who are top six fowards here with the implication that they aren't elsewhere. This team seems to still be in flux and searching for an identity (as well as quality young players).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I saw him today. He didn't look too worried. He was on his way to either getting his nails done or getting a tan depending on which service he opted for. I think Avery might want to think about what other NHL cities he can do that in and still enjoy the love of the fans like he has. LA? That door is shut. Miami? Maybe. Good luck playing for Pete DeBoer though. He really is in a good position in NYC where it lets him be who he is.
I think it comes down to cold hard cash.
Well to answer your questions, well Long Island is 30-45 minutes out of manhattan and we can show him the money and not pinch pennies and still have room for other guys. I am not saying it is a lock he goes to the Islanders, but me personally i wouldnt be against it and he would actually stand up for his teamates on the ice, unlike Simon.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
nyrangers23

who was 2nd in goals during the playoffs? who never takes off a shift an plays with his heart on his sleeve? he has played injured and he sticks up for his teamates. he brings something to the table that allot of players dont have. if we dont resign avery it will hurt us in big games when he is usually at his best

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
He WAS a top 6 forward for this team because no one besides Jagr, on occasion, was up to the task.

The slate is clean and Sather has the opportunity to remedy the situation. In a perfect world, he assembles a top 6 that keeps Avery where he belongs, in the lower half of the lineup as a role player, and compensated as such.
Top 6 forwards do not grow on trees. We've got, as you correctly pointed out, shortage of that material. If Avery is not top 6, then who? Shanny may be back, but he is too slow for that. Dawes? Oh, my... If anyone believes that Dawes WILL EVER BE as skilled as Avery, keep dreaming. The only one with potential is Callahan, but he has to gain weight, the frame is there. Sather could pick one UFA, no more. Thus, we need Avery.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote