HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Macguire - Habs heavily pursuing a forward in the Western Conference

Old
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well Halak may be Vokoun but at least we'd have some sort of control over his destiny. There's no way he stays here. Price is the man and Halak is too good to stay as a back-up. So trade Halak to the West before he signs with a team from the East.

As for O'Byrne I don't see him being anymore than a #4 due to limitations offensively. But to each their own.
Bob maybe smart to trade Halak who has value and will be a cheaper option to sign for teams needing a goalie over Dan Ellis who is getting a lot interest on the UFA open market come July 1.

Potential Western teams looking at a #1 would be: Nashville, St.Louis, Chicago and LA...teams looking for back-up help could also be the above along with Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose and Edmonton as well.

Halak may hold a lot in value because of the teams needing goalie help, and his age and contract cost is very, very appealing.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Halak will not become Vokoum while playing here. Vokoum wasn't Vokoum while playing here.And they are not going to move Price.

Problem is that you may not maximize the return simply because he is in that middle ground. Could be great but unproven and may not get the chance to prove himself here.
If you want maximum return on Halak wait for him to have a couple years under his belt. Play him a bit more if Price struggles at times or gets hurt...he's a cheap and talented back up, great situation. Once he's proven to be a good NHL goalie(even in a limited role) he should have about twice his current value...just look at what Dallas got for Smith in the TB trade and Roloson to Edmonton even though he was behind Fernandez.

I think Halak could get you a late 1st or early 2nd...but the only way I'd move him is for a top 10 pick or established player...which won't happen.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Tanguay and Cammalleri seem to be more-likely-available options, but perhaps of questionable fit for us. Still, if the price is right, that probably appeals more to me than giving up scads for a Gaborik. Stoll still has a Habs feel to him too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Selanne anyone????!!!!

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
axman88

I don't know if you guys remember but by the trading deadline the habs were active with two teams...atlanta (hossa) and chicago (havlat)....i don't know if the hossa trade would've been plan A and the havlat trade would've been plan B or if Gainey was pursuing BOTH hossa and havlat.
Also, Gainey thinks pretty highly of havlat....yes, he's played in only a few games per season but when he plays he can take over a game...kindof like when Elias was a UFA and Gainey offered him 7 mil...because the season before Elias played in very few games but was still able to manage over a point per game.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
What about Corey Perry? Selanne and Niedermeyer never said they were retiring, so cap space is a high issue there and maybe Burke wants some players/picks in return instead of losing another roster player for nothing other than picks?

I would be willing to pass Higgins onto the Ducks for Perry, but then again maybe the Ducks want Koivu with Selanne in Anaheim or maybe the Ducks want Plekanec to replace the loss of McDonald for Weight???

Maybe it is Perry???
There's no way the offense-challenged Ducks trade their best young sniper.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
anarmandaleb

The only thing with Havlat, though, is the question of whether we'll see injury-prone Havlat or game-dominating Havlat.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Kaptain Bégin

It would be amazing if we can trade for Gaborik, but the price should be really high and he will cost a lot of money too and often injuried. But I still want him. Maybe Doc Mulder and Scott Livingston can help him with all his groin injuries.

Cammalerri and Tanguay are more probable. I don't think their value is really high, not as high as Gaborik. Both are UFA after next season, I think.

But for a one year rental, I would like to try with Havlat. It's 6M$ cap hit, but only for the next season. With all his injuries and cost, I don't think his value is really high. Last year, I heard the Hawks wanting Halak. I don't think it's a one on one deal, but maybe something to build around.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Halak will not become Vokoum while playing here. Vokoum wasn't Vokoum while playing here.And they are not going to move Price.

Problem is that you may not maximize the return simply because he is in that middle ground. Could be great but unproven and may not get the chance to prove himself here.
I wouldn't want to part with that kind of upside for a second line forward.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
superstar436

Quote:
and what do you think it would take to get GABORIK
Higgins for sure, and a dman. They will ask for Komisarek, but we will not agree so we will offer O'byrne and this is why this deal will not happen.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
jaffy27

I can see them chasing Doan. The habs need size grit and leadership, he is the perfect fit. It would cost the habs Plekanec, Gorges and a prospect (Webber mayby). Could you imagine this team if they would sign Sundin also. Ouch!!!

Kostitsyn Sundin Kovalev
Kostitsyn Doan Higgins
Latendresse Koivu Lapierre
Kostop Chipchura Begin

Markov Komi
Hamrlik O'Byrne
Valentenko Bouillon

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
There's no way the offense-challenged Ducks trade their best young sniper.
If Niedermeyer opts to stay and if Selanne is interested in re-signing the Cap-Straped Ducks may not have any other option than to get what they can for a player they can't re-sign...especially if he hit's the RFA market July 1st like Burke said he would.

If the other 29 teams know Burke can't match an offer because of money issues than expect a offer sheet to come to Perry like they did to Vanek and Penner.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
Selanne anyone????!!!!
He's a UFA, McGuire is talking more like it's a trade.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
I can see them chasing Doan. The habs need size grit and leadership, he is the perfect fit. It would cost the habs Plekanec, Gorges and a prospect (Webber mayby). Could you imagine this team if they would sign Sundin also. Ouch!!!

Kostitsyn Sundin Kovalev
Kostitsyn Doan Higgins
Kostop Chipchura Begin

Markov Komi
Hamrlik O'Byrne
Valentenko Bouillon
Phoenix won't trade Doan, he's their heart and soul.

Edit: He's signed long term. He's very affordable. Not old yet. Been with the franchise from the start. Wouldn't be too inclined to play in Montreal since the old political incident, where he was wrongly accused. Do I need to continue or is that enough. That is idiotic.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post

Kostitsyn Sundin Kovalev
Kostitsyn Doan Higgins
Kostop Chipchura Begin

Markov Komi
Hamrlik O'Byrne
Valentenko Bouillon
(1) Doan is a Right Wing, not a centre.
(2) Where are we getting the cap space for Sundin, Kovalev, Koivu and Doan at a combined 20+ million for 4 players to go along with the rest of the roster?
(3) The whole "French" issue of Doan a couple of years ago would make him a target for boo-birds right away.

Doan is the face of the Coyotes, and I believe he took a hometown discount to stay as well.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Alright im going to start the new one up...alright here we go....

Joe Thornton

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Halak and Chip for Cogliano? and Roloson?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
The only way I would move Komisarek is if Gainey thinks he cannot get him resigned. If it does go down hopefully, a three team blockbluster type deal which would bring us Marleau and a top 5 pick. Atlanta may be willing to move their pick if Filatov goes to LA(just my speculation). Heard they are looking for immediate help. Doughty or Bogosian may be able to play next season and could be better than Komi in a few seasons
Marleau is set to make 6.3 for 2 years with NTC. Offer that to Komi if you have too much trouble signing him. He is worth much more than Marleau.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
.....and that is followed by Gainey saying thank you and hanging up the phone.
thanks for this Darz in my morning haze this gave me something to laugh at. ..... click.

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:11 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
Selanne anyone????!!!!
No thanks, I'll have some baloney.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:11 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Halak and Chip for Cogliano? and Roloson?
Halak still isn't signed so Lowe might be drooling at the thought of possibly being able to toss an offer sheet at him

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Calling it in the air...

Brendan Morrow.

Yes, I know, I know. Not in a million years.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I don't know...both those players have big upside to me. I see O'Bryne as a #3 d-man as early as next year and Halak reminds me of Vokoun. Not really the deal I would be looking for in moving a lot of youth
Cammy is the name that makes the most sense. LA has already taken him to arbitration, they have a lot of younger forwards in his mold ready to take bigger roles. He's not exactly what the team needs, but he is a very skilled forward and that makes the Habs better.

Both Halak and O'byrne have great upside, but no way is O'byrne a #3 d-man next or even 3 years down the road, just doesn't move the puck well enough. Maybe there is a chance Mtl would get a draft pick back from LA considering they have 30 or so.

I would think Gainey would try and sign a d-man like Salvadore, Rachunek, McCarthy, Hedican, Lilja to replace O'byrne and Lalime to replace Halak.

Halak and O'Byrne
for
Cammy and 2nd/3rd

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Calling it in the air...

Brendan Morrow.

Yes, I know, I know. Not in a million years.
Brendan Morrow is EXACTLY the player the habs are missing

Dallas is offensively challenged...so you never know...anything's possible...

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Alright im going to start the new one up...alright here we go....

Joe Thornton
I wouldn't want that no-heart loser on my team, pick someone else.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote