HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Billy Ryan

Old
06-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
Billy Ryan

he was one of the many 2004 2nd round picks that we got, but i havent really heard much about him since he was drafted. now i dont like asking about any specific prospects, but i was looking at the 04 draft.
when does it look like ryan might suit up for the wolf pack, or are the rangers even looking at signing him? just out of curiosity

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Edge

I think the 2004 draft will be remembered for two things:

1. A strong draft by the Rangers.

2. A perfect example of why having more picks increases your odds.

Billy Ryan doesn't really look like an NHL player to me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:19 AM
eco's bones

Rangers are not signing him. Maine U. lost a lot of players before his junior season and he was expected to lead the team. An injury plagued season didn't help but he and his team never really got off the ground. All in all a decent college career but nothing extraordinary.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:02 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers are not signing him. Maine U. lost a lot of players before his junior season and he was expected to lead the team. An injury plagued season didn't help but he and his team never really got off the ground. All in all a decent college career but nothing extraordinary.
i think Ryan is ECHL allstar at best. great to draft players for the ECHL like Ryan and the wonderful Lee Falardeau who Sather called the next Joel Otto

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Levitate

He had some skill and promise but bombed bigtime last year. Just never took that next step he needed to

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Agreed, on all parts.

This year the Kings are going to rule this draft. 13 picks.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Agreed, on all parts.

This year the Kings are going to rule this draft. 13 picks.
Actually, when you look at the drafts recent history, teams with that many picks have not had anymore or less success than teams with the usual amount.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
squishy

Ryan was hampered by a hip injury most of the year, and as I recall, his team tanked in his absence. He came back and played through it towards the end of the season in an effort to pull his team into the playoffs, but fell short. He would have gotten an ATO to show how he'd stack up against pros in the AHL this spring, but wasn't anywhere near 100% and likely wouldn't have impressed, so opted for surgery to fix the injury instead. He's probably a long-shot to get even an AHL deal, but could turn up in camp in September on a try-out basis.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Actually, when you look at the drafts recent history, teams with that many picks have not had anymore or less success than teams with the usual amount.
Are you thinking about the Rangers in 2004 with 6 of the first 60 picks and only Dubinsky to show for it?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Are you thinking about the Rangers in 2004 with 6 of the first 60 picks and only Dubinsky to show for it?
don't forget that Korpi probably will be in blue next year, and Byers is knocking on the door and probably will be in blue sometime next season.

Also Cally was from that draft.

4 NHLers in one draft is a very very high success.

and that would be 3 players from that top 60. 3/6 = .5 50% of your top 6 picks making the NHL is a very very good rate.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
don't forget that Korpi probably will be in blue next year, and Byers is knocking on the door and probably will be in blue sometime next season.

Also Cally was from that draft.

4 NHLers in one draft is a very very high success.

and that would be 3 players from that top 60. 3/6 = .5 50% of your top 6 picks making the NHL is a very very good rate.
I'll give you Korpi and Byers being on the team to go along with Cally. But I'll look at it as the top pick never playing one minute for the team. They also had a total of 13 picks with four making it giving you an ~30% success rate which is probably closer to the NHL average.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
I'll give you Korpi and Byers being on the team to go along with Cally. But I'll look at it as the top pick never playing one minute for the team. They also had a total of 13 picks with four making it giving you an ~30% success rate which is probably closer to the NHL average.
Comparing to what others teams have done: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html in that draft, I'd say we did ok. Plus, IF Montoya becomes a starting goaltender, I think you can count that as plus for the Rnagers, since we drafted him.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Rags225

Quote:
he still will probably be an NHL player. Just because we didn't need him, (who though Hank would be a superstar and we didn't have any goal depth at all when we drafted him), doesn't mean that it was a bad pick. At that moment it wasn't a horrible pick. and if he does play in the NHL that means we had 5 players in the NHL. 5/13 = 38%. Definately above avg. That will also increase it to 4 out of our top 6. that's 4 players in the top 60 that year. Thats not that bad at all. Also b/c we had 13 picks we took alot more chances than a normal team would. We went for alot of high risk high reward prospects b/c we could afford to w/ so many picks.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
he still will probably be an NHL player. Just because we didn't need him, (who though Hank would be a superstar and we didn't have any goal depth at all when we drafted him), doesn't mean that it was a bad pick. At that moment it wasn't a horrible pick. and if he does play in the NHL that means we had 5 players in the NHL. 5/13 = 38%. Definately above avg. That will also increase it to 4 out of our top 6. that's 4 players in the top 60 that year. Thats not that bad at all. Also b/c we had 13 picks we took alot more chances than a normal team would. We went for alot of high risk high reward prospects b/c we could afford to w/ so many picks.
I will agree with you there. And because you tend to make high risk, high reward picks, you don't always hit a home run.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Comparing to what others teams have done: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html in that draft, I'd say we did ok. Plus, IF Montoya becomes a starting goaltender, I think you can count that as plus for the Rnagers, since we drafted him.
But the sixth pick in the draft yielded a 3rd line player at best and two AHL players. I would say that pick is lost. If he was traded for a top 6 forward or top pair dman, then yes, I would agree with your comment.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Rags225

Quote:
But the sixth pick in the draft yielded a 3rd line player at best and two AHL players. I would say that pick is lost. If he was traded for a top 6 forward or top pair dman, then yes, I would agree with your comment.
this pick was lost only b/c we found a better goalie in Hank. If he makes the NHL it still was a Ranger pick. WE just didn't need him. If we didn't have hank he probably would be playing for us right now.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
this pick was lost only b/c we found a better goalie in Hank. If he makes the NHL it still was a Ranger pick. WE just didn't need him. If we didn't have hank he probably would be playing for us right now.
That's exactly where I was trying to go.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Doh!

I still love the Korpikoski pick though

Old
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Doh!

I still love the Korpikoski pick though
as do i.....i still think he will become a sold 60-70 point second liner.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
as do i.....i still think he will become a sold 60-70 point second liner.....
That would be ****ing sick if he developed into a guy capable of potting 70 points. I know the skill set is there, and he's young, but I'm just not seeing it yet. I hope he proves me wrong anf makes you look like a genius though, I'll tell you that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Korpikoski is the kind of guy you want, he loves to win, great team player. I hope his skill continues to rise but if he is just a capable winger that keeps teams off the scorebaord like a Lehtinen then i'm all for it.

Old
06-18-2008, 07:57 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Billy is a friend of a friend. He had a poor year, was hurt a lot, and is not expecting to be signed

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

I dunno edge, I saw about 10 of his games this season at the NHL level and he did really well, dug in the corners and showed he can cycle. It's a tough situation for him because:

a) he'll always be known as the guy taken after Crosby

b) he went to a veteran-laden club and really had to fight for mins.

Weight was cleary a disappointment all season and Ryan playing on his wing certainly didn't help. Ryan had a penchant for passing too much, but that can be fixed. Personally, I like his game and he needs shifts.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
I dunno edge, I saw about 10 of his games this season at the NHL level and he did really well, dug in the corners and showed he can cycle. It's a tough situation for him because:

a) he'll always be known as the guy taken after Crosby (in the 2005 draft).

b) he went to a veteran-laden club and really had to fight for mins.

Weight was cleary a disappointment all season and Ryan playing on his wing certainly didn't help. Ryan had a penchant for passing too much, but that can be fixed. Personally, I like his game and he needs shifts.
That's Bobby Ryan...Billy Ryan was a 3rd rounder selected by the Rangers in the 2004 draft.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That's Bobby Ryan...Billy Ryan was a 3rd rounder selected by the Rangers in the 2004 draft.

oops. I saw Ryan and and automatically thought of the ducks. OK.

Billy Ryan played like poo in the HE this season, as did his team. I thought he was really aloof after having a really solid second half in 2007.

Career minor leaguer!

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote