HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 2008 draft preview

Old
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=battlerex99;14444132]I'm hearing ranks of around 90th for Petrov right now, so I wouldn't be too sure about that. Then again, it's the NHL Draft so anything can happen. What about trading our first rounder to the Blues for both of their second rounders and taking Jared Staal and Petrov there. That could work methinks.[/QUOTE

I like that idea

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
BroadwayBlue68

Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked but what is a good website to find information on these prospects. One that gets into detail, this way I can have some idea about who we are drafting and if it looks good or not. Thanks.

BroadwayBlue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlue68 View Post
Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked but what is a good website to find information on these prospects. One that gets into detail, this way I can have some idea about who we are drafting and if it looks good or not. Thanks.
TSN's Draft Preview: http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11476

NHL's Official Site: http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/Default.aspx

THN's Draft Preview: http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...l-draft-center

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
BroadwayBlue68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Great. Thanks.

BroadwayBlue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlue68 View Post
Great. Thanks.
No prob. The NHL's main site has lots of prospect articles, too.

Old
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'd love to see the Rangers take Tedenby. I think the kid has the possibility to be really dynamic offensively. Colborne is intriguing, but I don't think he's still going to be around at that point.

I know people think the Rangers should take a defenseman, but this is a really deep draft in terms of defensive prospects and we could still wind up with a very solid blueliner in the 2nd or 3rd round. If you get a chance to take a guy like Tedenby, who seems like a Martin St. Louis style of player to me, I think you have to go for it.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I have to say that I don't think Robak makes sense for the Rangers. Sanguinetti-lite, really? Does that really help fill their organizational holes at this point? The hole that Robak would fill is already filled by Sanguinetti, and the Rangers would be better served looking at a hard hitting defenseman (like was mentioned over and over) or a skilled winger, IMO.

I just kind of feel like if you're drafting for organizational needs, like the article says over and over, then you don't draft a redundant part. Yes, I know the next point is that maybe Sanguinetti doesn't pan out, or "you can't have too many of this type of player", but skilled wingers are a pretty weak spot for the Rangers too at this point. If a big defenseman isn't available, I'd look winger first, and then to a puck moving defenseman.

It's just kind of this feeling that the Rangers have a guy in Sanguinetti with a ton of offensive skill, and who's made some great strides in the deficient areas of his game, and then to go out and draft an inferior version of that player with more questionmarks (especially more on offense, jesus, his numbers aren't even close to Sanguinetti's and he has at least the same level of questions about his defensive and physical play) in an allegedly deep draft...eh, I'd like to pass.

edit: Basically the scouting reports on Robak remind me of Backman. Someone who's billed with offensive skill, doesn't manage to put up a lot of points though. Is big, but not terrible physical, and is hit or miss in his own end with the potential to be solid. And I'm not sure another Backman is really what the team needs.
Exactly what i've been saying for the past two weeks.

We don't and should not go after an offensive Dman...Him or Del Zotto.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Turambar

People need to remember, there's somewhat of a difference between an offensive defenseman and a puck-mover.

An offensive defenseman is a guy who likes to pinch into the play a lot and who moves the puck well along the offensive blueline and who shoots often. A guy who plays in the offensive zone.

A puck-mover, on the other hand, is a guy who knows how and when to make the breakout passes, a guy that can jumpstart your transition. Detroit was full of them, as we saw in the Finals. A defensive defenseman can still be good at moving the puck, which is what the Rangers need.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
A puck-mover, on the other hand, is a guy who knows how and when to make the breakout passes, a guy that can jumpstart your transition. Detroit was full of them, as we saw in the Finals. A defensive defenseman can still be good at moving the puck, which is what the Rangers need.
Amen, brother. We need our forwards to be better at the transition, too, but this is what I want.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Posted a mock on the MD board, and had Colborne going 13 to Buffalo. They like to draft risks, JC is a big offensive forward for a Buffalo system that is small and lacking in legit prospects.

CHI is more of a consensus type of team, I can see them taking either Myers/Beach, whoever falls.
hey, it's your turn in the mock draft! It's been your turn for more than 24 hours now!

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
People need to remember, there's somewhat of a difference between an offensive defenseman and a puck-mover.

An offensive defenseman is a guy who likes to pinch into the play a lot and who moves the puck well along the offensive blueline and who shoots often. A guy who plays in the offensive zone.

Yea, but that guy, even if drafted on Friday, won't be ready for a few years.

You fill that need NOW in the free agent pool. Orpik.

If Del Zotto, a skilled, dynamic defenseman, is available you take him.

In the least, he can be used to acquire that shut down guy via trade.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Yea, but that guy, even if drafted on Friday, won't be ready for a few years.

You fill that need NOW in the free agent pool. Orpik.

If Del Zotto, a skilled, dynamic defenseman, is available you take him.

In the least, he can be used to acquire that shut down guy via trade.
I agree that such a need can't be filled immediately via the draft, not unless the Rangers decide to trade up 15+ spots. Yet, it doesn't hurt to at least get started.

As for the free agent pool, I agree that's the way to go, but I don't agree that Orpik serves such a function. Orpik is a disaster when he touches the puck, he's awful with it. He's the type of defender who succeeds by taking the body and leaving the puck, and he's certainly not the guy you look to for breakout passes and general moving of the puck. This is why the pair of Gonchar/Orpik is so effective for the Pens, as was Leetch/Beukeboom for the Rangers back in the day. It's a balancing act.

Bottom line: If you want puck-movement, Orpik is NOT the guy you're looking for.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

detroit wasn't full of defensive defensemen. It was full of well Rounded defensemen. Their top three were Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski. All three are extremely talented offensively and defensively. All three pinched, and all three played great defense. This is what the Rangers need.

We on the otherhand are full of defensive defensemen who aren't real puck movers. Tyutin, Girardi, Staal are all defense first type of defensemen. Staal will probably become a good puck mover. The other two probably not so much. I honestly don't think Girardi will come close to matching the #'s he put up this year, and I was downright nervous when he tried to carry the puck or thread a pass. Same w/ Tyutin.

Than look at our pipeline. We have Sauer who is another defense first type dman w/ very limited offensive upside, and Sangs who is our real only offense first dman. Now again which do we need more of. We need another offense type dman, who can play defense. If he has some size that will be a bonus. Remember you can always teach defense. YOU CANNOT TEACH OFFENSIVE SKILLS OR INSTINCT.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
detroit wasn't full of defensive defensemen. It was full of well Rounded defensemen. Their top three were Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski. All three are extremely talented offensively and defensively. All three pinched, and all three played great defense. This is what the Rangers need.

We on the otherhand are full of defensive defensemen who aren't real puck movers. Tyutin, Girardi, Staal are all defense first type of defensemen. Staal will probably become a good puck mover. The other two probably not so much. I honestly don't think Girardi will come close to matching the #'s he put up this year, and I was downright nervous when he tried to carry the puck or thread a pass. Same w/ Tyutin.

Than look at our pipeline. We have Sauer who is another defense first type dman w/ very limited offensive upside, and Sangs who is our real only offense first dman. Now again which do we need more of. We need another offense type dman, who can play defense. If he has some size that will be a bonus. Remember you can always teach defense. YOU CANNOT TEACH OFFENSIVE SKILLS OR INSTINCT.
You really can't.

If we go the defense route, and Del Zotto is available at our pick, i hope we take him.

By all accounts his defensive side is underrated and so is his grit.

We all know he is a dynamic offensive defenseman, too.

However, i hope we trade down to get another second rounder on top of a first and also package some B level guys like Prucha, Moore, Byers, whom ever to get extra second rounders and extra 3rd rounders... as long as we keep our top prospects and top young players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
emember you can always teach defense. YOU CANNOT TEACH OFFENSIVE SKILLS OR INSTINCT.
This really isn't completely true. A lot of guys just never "get" playing defense and are never that good at it. Good defense requires a lot of a certain hockey sense that can't be drilled into someone.

An OK offensive defenseman playing mediocre defense doesn't excite me. I think they really need to be able to put up 50+ points if their defense is only mediocre

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Some ideas:

1) Trade our 2008 1st pick, a 2009 1st and a throw in like Girardi or Prucha to St. Louis so we can get Filatov. Considering the rangers will add a No. 1 D-man via FA, they are a lock for 42-49 wins, That 2009 pick will be mid 20's. Just an idea.

2) Use pick 1 on gustaffson. He's smart, big and has NHL bloodlines. Use the second pick for Niemi (if available) becaue we could use his shot.

3) Take a chance on Colbourne so Dubinsky may have a complimentary big, grinding winger. I say take a chance because the Rangers have a terrible draft record at drafting sized wingers (Brendl, Jessiman, Cherneski)

4) Go all out on defense. I know our NHL corps is young, but our farm after Sanguinetti is a little thin. We are deep up the middle, and wingers can be had via UFA (a Ranger tradition)

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM
NYR Viper

i want a big mean defenseman in the first round

i want a mean winger like paquette in the second....

basically i want the rangers to start to get mean and skilled...more dubinsky's at all positions

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Of guys that I think we could realistically obtain, whether picking at our original position or trading up, my list goes... (in no order)

Boedker
Tedenby
Del Zotto
Schenn
Eberle
Ennis

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:12 AM
rangers1624

I had the pleasure of seeing Micheal Del Zotto play. I liked his offensive play. Was creative and didn't think twice about jumping into the play. His defensive play was very poor. had a few turnovers and just didn't look very strong back their. I know hes young and he will learn. But from talking with some season ticket holders of the Generals, this is a normal thing with him. Its just something to take into consideration. If hes there maybe you take him, but we have Bobby Sanguinetti to fill this role.

rangers1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post

3) Take a chance on Colbourne so Dubinsky may have a complimentary big, grinding winger. I say take a chance because the Rangers have a terrible draft record at drafting sized wingers (Brendl, Jessiman, Cherneski)

Jessiman wont be what we originally were hoping, but he can still pan out to be an nhl player. you cant knock cherneski at all. he was forced to retire by a freak injury to his knee. up till that point he was looking to be a pretty good draft pick.
and brendl was just a bum so who cares about him

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Some ideas:

1) Trade our 2008 1st pick, a 2009 1st and a throw in like Girardi or Prucha to St. Louis so we can get Filatov. Considering the rangers will add a No. 1 D-man via FA, they are a lock for 42-49 wins, That 2009 pick will be mid 20's. Just an idea.

2) Use pick 1 on gustaffson. He's smart, big and has NHL bloodlines. Use the second pick for Niemi (if available) becaue we could use his shot.

4) Go all out on defense. I know our NHL corps is young, but our farm after Sanguinetti is a little thin. We are deep up the middle, and wingers can be had via UFA (a Ranger tradition)
I would cream in my jeans if we got Filatov, question is do you think someone is willing to take that deal?

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Cherepanov 71

I'd sure like us to get into Phoenix's spot if Boedker is available.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Does anyone think we'll take Carlson? TSN has him ranked at #22, and the scouting report seems like exactly the type of player we could use on the backend.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Of guys that I think we could realistically obtain, whether picking at our original position or trading up, my list goes... (in no order)

Boedker
Tedenby
Del Zotto
Schenn
Eberle
Ennis
I would be stunned if Boedker and Scheen fall out of the top 10. Del Zotto could easily be top 15. It all depends on which team (one with a ton of picks?) goes way off the board and takes a flyer on a dark horse.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Does anyone think we'll take Carlson? TSN has him ranked at #22, and the scouting report seems like exactly the type of player we could use on the backend.
FWIW, Allan Muir of cnnsi.com has us taking Carlson at 20.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote