HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver has hired Ryan Walter as an assistant coach

Old
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
west in the east

vCash: 500
He's definitely a stand-up guy. I broke my leg in the 4th grade and he, a long with Linden got a whole bunch of stuff together for me, including a picture signed by the entire '93 team plus a few other items.

And help with leadership is never a bad thing.

Also, Apparently he worked on MTL's PP last season... encouraging.

Last edited by west in the east: 06-17-2008 at 08:50 PM.
west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I actually think this is a good move. This is a guy who is all about leadership. He was a Captain with the Washington Capitals back in the day, and was brought into be an "experienced leader" type with the Vancouver Canucks back in the early 90s. He won a Cup, and has since got a Master's Degree in leadership. He was also the leadership coach for the Habs last year as another poster pointed out, and they got leadership out of a lot of different sources.

I think this could be a very good move; but I also agree that there's another hire coming. We need a coach who specializes in offense and forechecking.

~Canucklehead~
AV has stated that there is another assistant coach coming along with Ryan Walter.

Also for the poster who wrote Walter was involved in MTL's PP, can you please provide a source.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
west in the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
AV has stated that there is another assistant coach coming along with Ryan Walter.

Also for the poster who wrote Walter was involved in MTL's PP, can you please provide a source.
I dont have a link, but they showed a clip on Global News where they mentioned it... he also spoke in a quick interview they had with him in the scrum afterwards where he mentioned it.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Philoushka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
He looks so mormon. I wonder if he is.
He's a major jezuz freak. I heard him on Dan Ruxxell's show a few years ago. Full on bible buddy.

Philoushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
He reminds me of Mr.Rogers.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoushka View Post
He's a major jezuz freak. I heard him on Dan Ruxxell's show a few years ago. Full on bible buddy.
Who cares!!!

All of these players are born again believers.

Jarome Iginla, Mike Fisher, Robyn Regehr (his parents were missionaries in Brazil), Valarie Bure

Joe Sakic, Shane Doan (his parents run a Christian Camp in AB), Jonathan Toews, Markus Naslund, Jonathan Cheechoo, Dean McAmmond, Ryan Smyth, Curtis Brown, Cam Ward, Glen Wesley ,Al McGinnis

Past NHL Christian players:

Jean Pronovost, Ron Ellis, Paul Henderson, Garry Unger, Stu Grimson, Laurie Boschman, Kevin Haller, Thomas Steen, Doug Jarvis, Joe Daley, Mike Gartner, Mark Osborne, Dean Prentice, Coach Roger Neilson

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Untouchable - thanks for clarifying; I thought I'd heard that somewhere but wasn't too sure. Wonder if this new coach will also be in place by Friday's draft? Any ideas on potential candidates?

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:12 AM
NCPokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Who cares!!!
I couldn't agree more, and I'm an atheist. A man's religious beliefs have nothing to do with his ability to coach or compete as an athlete. In Walter's case, his faith seems to have inspired him to be a genuinely decent man. I don't understand why that's worthy of mocking...

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:53 PM
galiano

Ryan Walter is such a nice guy ( gag ) He comes across as Mr. Rodgers of the hockey world. If I were a Canuck player I'd be thinking, hmmmmm what's next ? Maybe they'll bring in Doctor Phil to handle the defence.

Along with having no coaching experience, Ryan Walter seems to be a Goody Two Shoes and totally out of place as a Canuck assistant coach. But I suppose Mr. All Knowing Gillis thinks this is another of his brilliant moves that only he understands.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Ryan Walter is such a nice guy ( gag ) He comes across as Mr. Rodgers of the hockey world. If I were a Canuck player I'd be thinking, hmmmmm what's next ? Maybe they'll bring in Doctor Phil to handle the defence.

Along with having no coaching experience, Ryan Walter seems to be a Goody Two Shoes and totally out of place as a Canuck assistant coach. But I suppose Mr. All Knowing Gillis thinks this is another of his brilliant moves that only he understands.
I won't write his coaching ability off just because he's an overly nice guy... he's had a long career, and has always been considered a smart player that thinks the game very well... he's very well respected around the league - whether he's just too nice a guy to hate or not.

I'll wait to see how he actually fits before thinking he won't fit... I like the fact though that Gillis did recognize a problem with the coaching staff and brought in someone new... I also think that Walter has a good hockey mind and is generally a smart guy.

whether he's too nice a guy to do the job remains to be seen... maybe as a head coach that could create bigger problems, but as an assistant coach that might even be an advantage - giving the players a coach they can talk to and not feel threatened by.

the good cop/bad cop routine seems to work pretty well in most other things in life... why not as part of a coaching staff... especially knowing that AV (the bad cop) and not Walter, still really has the power behind the bench.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I have confidence in Gillis on this move as in his short time here he has shown himself to be an anal retentive control freak in relation to ever aspect of management....the perfect type of executive.

One thing is for sure, there was an extensive hiring process and Walters was their guy. Now I guess we will see how the move pans out.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Kid_Roll

I just found it awesome that Walters insult was "your a loser and your going to lose".

It's amusing to me since hockey players usually have quite a darker way of saying things like that, so it's just kind of funny to see a guy coming from an environment where swearing/trash talk is quite the norm having insults that were so light.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
One thing is for sure, there was an extensive hiring process and Walters was their guy. Now I guess we will see how the move pans out.
How do you get that? They already stated the guys they wanted recently got other jobs. Unless they were for different assistant coach jobs, I'd say Walters was down the list.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
How do you get that? They already stated the guys they wanted recently got other jobs. Unless they were for different assistant coach jobs, I'd say Walters was down the list.
Actually, they said that two of the coaches they interviewed have been hired as head coaches, not that the assistants they wanted were hired as head coaches.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Down two places? *shrug* Kind of hard to get your ideal if they are being offered head coaching jobs.

Anyway I think the Canucks have an excellent coaching staff, I am not sure what exactly they brought him in to manage, so I will reserve ultimate judgment.

I will be honest and say I do not know much about Walter's coaching resume, but I have confidence in Gillis to micromanage the team and make drawn out decisions based on some relevant criteria. Ultimately, Gillis is the boss and will do what he feels is best for the team and will be held accountable.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Actually, they said that two of the coaches they interviewed have been hired as head coaches, not that the assistants they wanted were hired as head coaches.
Was there a hiring process while AV was in limbo?

Old
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Was there a hiring process while AV was in limbo?
It doesn't sound like it. It seems that Vigneault and Gillis have been talking to candidates for several weeks now and that Gillis recommended Walter to Vigneault who then spent a day in Ottawa with him. But based on the timing, it seems that Walter was a top candidate given that he's been in constant communication for weeks now.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
The Overseer*

A guy I'd really like to see brought in for the final position as a fwds coach just got voted into the hall of fame, and his name isn't Glenn Anderson.

Igor Larionov would be an outstanding coach, universally recognized as one of the smartest players to play the game. He'd bring a creative offensive mind to a coaching staff that is currently comprised of guys with more straight-ahead mentalities.

He really enjoyed his time in Vancouver and I think he'd be a great addition.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
It doesn't sound like it. It seems that Vigneault and Gillis have been talking to candidates for several weeks now and that Gillis recommended Walter to Vigneault who then spent a day in Ottawa with him. But based on the timing, it seems that Walter was a top candidate given that he's been in constant communication for weeks now.
Ok I'm really confused and something must be going over my head. Why were they interviewing coaches that eventually found head coaching decisions if they weren't interviewing them for assistant coach positions?

Old
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
A guy I'd really like to see brought in for the final position as a fwds coach just got voted into the hall of fame, and his name isn't Glenn Anderson.

Igor Larionov would be an outstanding coach, universally recognized as one of the smartest players to play the game. He'd bring a creative offensive mind to a coaching staff that is currently comprised of guys with more straight-ahead mentalities.

He really enjoyed his time in Vancouver and I think he'd be a great addition.

Then we can top everything off by bringing in Krutov to be our conditioning coach.

(Not making fun of your idea, I just wanted to bring up Krutov. )

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Ok I'm really confused and something must be going over my head. Why were they interviewing coaches that eventually found head coaching decisions if they weren't interviewing them for assistant coach positions?
I think I worded my original post poorly. They were interviewing candidates for the Canucks' assistant coaching positions that got head coaching positions elsewhere (most likely Craig Hartsburg and Peter DeBoer).

I was just trying to point out that Gillis hadn't said that the people he interviewed for assistant coaching positions who were eventually hired as head coaches elsewhere were at the top of his list for the assistant coach positions, just merely that they had been interviewed. Hence, Walter still may have been the Canucks' first choice for the position.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
FruityPants3*

Ahh, that makes sense!

Interesting article in the G&M if it hasn't been posted.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Quote:
“In talking with people from Montreal, they thought Ryan was instrumental in getting that team to be more focused, more of a team and allowing younger players to fit into the lineup in a meaningful way.”

The two-week hiring process began when Gillis contacted Walter, 50, about conducting leadership workshops for the Canucks. Walter, a Lower Mainland native who won a Stanley Cup with the Canadiens in 1986, said he had NHL coaching opportunities in the past but did not want to leave his home town.

“I think leadership is a key component to any coach… and those are the things that I've spent the last part of my life studying,” Walter said. “There's a big learning curve, no doubt, but I love learning. That's what I do.”

Yesterday, Vigneault admitted that he had reservations about Walter when Gillis first recommended him. Walter has no professional coaching experience and no previous relationship with Vigneault.

But Vigneault said he felt comfortable with Walter, who will look after the forwards and the power play, after the duo spent a day together in Ottawa.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:02 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
I just found it awesome that Walters insult was "your a loser and your going to lose".
Your pillow wont' be soft and fluffy tonight. You'll see. YOU'LL SEE.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

lol

Did anyone dig up the numbers on his Bantam team? Wonder what the PP% was

I wonder if we will have to pay some kind of compensation for poaching their coach.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
DreamCatcher*

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...4-a76c63f9ae98
Quote:
"Vancouver is always going to be in my heart because it was Canada, my second home really, and they gave me the opportunity to play the game in the NHL and the freedom from the Soviet regime," said Larionov on Tuesday.
Special enough to consider being an assistant coach?

The only possible candidate I can think of Canucks considering is John Anderson but it seems like Atlanta will hire him.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote