HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Citi Field

Old
06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Nich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
well I agree completely that this was a very bad job by the mets. My point is that it's silly and hypocritical for Yankee fans to gloat over how the mets organization is conducting itself when the yankees front office has embarrassed itself numerous times over the last six months. Neither team is putting their best foot forward right now, on the field or off the field. Lets just leave it at that.

Also, would it be possibloe to sticky this thread and make it the official NY baseball thread? We lost the last one a while ago and I know I'd like to have a baseball thread on this board, as I know there are plenty of knowledgeable baseball fans here that I enjoy discussing the sport with. I know this is a hockey board, but it can't hurt to have one official baseball thread, especially when you consider that new york is the baseball capital of the world.
hey man, i wasn't trying to gloat. just stating my opinion.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
hey man, i wasn't trying to gloat. just stating my opinion.
oh I know you whern't Nich, I was responding to the second post of the thread.

Anyway, we've blown this way out of proportion, lets get back to talking about baseball.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Nich

ok well, the only downside i can think about the new mets stadium is the fact that the location still stinks...unless you play the plane drinking game that is....

Old
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
ok well, the only downside i can think about the new mets stadium is the fact that the location still stinks...unless you play the plane drinking game that is....
I agree completely. I'm a big fan of having neighborhood stadiums, and there is no neighborhood at willets point. I'm also a proponent of fitting stadiums into the fabric of the city, and there is no fabric to fit a stadium into out there in eastern queens. Ideally it would have been nice to have put it in either Brooklyn, a more developed and accessible area of Queens, or anywhere in Manhattan. But if you've followed the sagas of either the westside stadium or of the barclays center, you know that's a very hard thing to do. Then again, if Ratliff had just proposed building a stadium, and hadn't tried to reinvent the skyline of brooklyn, I think that facilaty would have been built already.

Last edited by xander: 06-17-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
To all those critisizing the Mets for firing Willie at 2 or 3 in the morning, remember that all parties involoved were on the west coast so in reality it was only 11:30 at night, just an hour after the game ended.

06-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Fletch

The question is...

why did he even travel to California? Shouldn't he have been canned after Sunday's game in New York? It's weird traveling to the west coast, thinking you survived a bullet over the weekend, win a game, get back to the hotel and think you're preparing for tomorrow's game but get fired instead. Does seem a bit odd.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
why did he even travel to California? Shouldn't he have been canned after Sunday's game in New York? It's weird traveling to the west coast, thinking you survived a bullet over the weekend, win a game, get back to the hotel and think you're preparing for tomorrow's game but get fired instead. Does seem a bit odd.
my main problem with it. i mean hell if they went 2 and 2 over the last 4 i understand, but 3 of 4 and canned? doesn't really work...

Old
06-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Nich

and btw i am taking the under of 45 days before willie is hired by the yankees as an assistant or something else....

Old
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Fletch

It was really...

going 2-2 over their last four. He effectively was fired before/during last night's game, meaning Minaya was on a plane to LA while the game was in progress/before it started, and thus the decision was already made. It's real tough to say, hey, he won tonight, let's give him another game and make it a game-to-game thing too - that's not fair to anybody. You need to make a decision based on where the team is and move on. If they went 3 of 4 during the homestand, that may've given him another series. My real issue is that Randolph probably shouldn't have gotten on a plane.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
To all those critisizing the Mets for firing Willie at 2 or 3 in the morning, remember that all parties involoved were on the west coast so in reality it was only 11:30 at night, just an hour after the game ended.
Ramon Castro thought it was that late.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:47 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Ramon Castro thought it was that late.
Hahaha

NyRangers88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
yes. run out of town. When a manager does nothing but win and make the playoffs for 11 years and you then offer him a paycut and incentives (as if he needs a financial incentive to win) you are pretty much telling him that you don't want him back.

I cannot defend the way the Mets handled Willie, who I did not want to see fired. But after the way the Yankees treated Torre last fall, Yankee fans have no right to talk about the Mets right now.

But what do I know, I root for a team that plays in a league that needs to 'join the 21st century'...
I don't want to get into a Yankees fan Mets fan war here..It's not worth it but I think what your writing here is a needless knock at Yankees fans in general.

1. The Yankees fans didn't fire Torre and you can find even the most ardent Torre bashers being pissed about how the whole Torre thing went down.

2. As baseball fans and as co-baseball fans in this city we can point out a wrong when it's being done...Heck, as humen beings (not sports fans) we can point out what's wrong with a guy getting fired the way Willie did. It's not a bash at the Mets fans it's a bash at the Mets organization...Which all day long i've heard from Mets fans...Why are we wrong in pointing it out?

Quote:
Even if we put Torre aside, the Yankees are currently owned by a man who insults the intelligance of every baseball fan in america everytime he opens his mouth (which he does frequently.) My point here is not to sling mud, it's to point out that if Yankee fans want to throw dirt at the Met's front office, then there is plenty of ammo that us Mets fans can respond with. It's just better if we both keep to talking about our own respective teams, neither of which are in particuarly good positions right now.
So Hank Steinbrenner made some stupid comments. It doesn't effect the team on the field...

The Yankees fans as baseball fans have a right to call what the Mets did bush-league. That doesn't mean we all agree with Hank Steinbrenner and it doesn't mean you should put us in a postion where you think we are going to defend everything the guy says....

As a Rangers fan would you really care if Islanders fans for example started bashing James Dolan? That's how Yankees fans for the most part are about the real son of steinbrenner.

Both our teams got off to a bad start but the Yankees have played well of late...So have the Mets...which is another reason to question the Willie firing...I can see it being done after last season (I was shocked it wasn't to be honest) I can see it being done a month ago but after they won 3 out of 4...after the just won a game...to do it after the team just flew out west...to not fire the GM in the process...I mean if i was a fan of the Reds I'd still think the same thing...But as Yankees fans we can't say a word because our Owner says some dumb stuff...

This would be like me saying you shouldn't say anything bad about the Yankees because of Fred Wilpon has no backbone..

I like the Mets fans on this board I really do and I'm not trying to mix it up here but what have the Yankees fans said that the Mets fans aren't saying??? That all of baseball isn't saying???

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
xander

SOS, I was firing back at the second post of the thread, which I considered to be blatent taunting, that's all. From there on Nich and I just got into a bit of an argument over the semantics of it, but Nich and I tend to agree on just about everything else there wasn't any real venoml.

You're free to bash this decision, I'm bashing it too. If you cross over the line into taunting (and only that second poster did) then I"m going to respond, as juvenile as that might be. Thats all.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:15 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
The whole Hank thing is dumb, in my opinion. I see the guy as nothing more than a cartoon character and I would put stock in about 15% of what the guy says.

As for the Willie thing, it's a damn shame and I personally think Minaya handled it terribly. Now there's no doubt the Yankees could have handled the Torre situation much better than they did...but the firing of Randolph just doesn't make any sense. I think it will wind up hurting the team more than if he had stayed on and done the sub par job he had done this year.

Also, if you're going to replace Randolph, a quiet, low-temper kind of guy....why replace him with a guy who is almost exactly the same in Manuel? If they are going to fire a guy who isn't lighting a fire under his team and refuses to yell at them or anything like that, wouldn't it make sense to go after a Larry Bowa or someone along those lines? There are just alot of questions here that don't seem to make sense.

As for Willie, he'll get back on his feet. I could absolutely see the Dodgers hiring him as an assistant for Torre. I'd love to have him in the Bronx on Girardi's staff, but I think LA is a perfect fit.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Stepan Razor

the whole situation was bush league. omar said he wanted to do it quickly, why didn't he just do it before the texas series? or better yet on the rain out?

also minaya doesn't have to tell me 10x that it was his decision, i got it the first time. it just sounded like a pile of BS and i'm ashamed that my baseball team's operations have been compromised by the mob that is retarded mets fans and an overzealous media.

Stepan Razor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

why did they make it 47k capacity when they average over 50k per game

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
The trend in most new arenas and stadia is to decrease the capacity, and increase the average ticket/concession price. You squeeze more RPBIS (revenue per butt in seat) out of a venue that is, ostensibly, costs less to operate.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
Actually, its 41,500 seats and 3,500 standing room. So its even less than that 47.

NyRangers88 is online now   Reply With Quote