HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And to be real honest with you, I really didn't see your post before posting. Took me some time writing it obviously.

But I totally respect Fozz opinion, Grabovski could suddenly explode this year and be definately a player, White could do what he does in Juniors and so on.....

But I just don't think they will.....will eat some crow in due time if necessary....
Your opinion also makes lots of sense. The way I see it, Plekanec is young and I hope Gainey will sign him long term. Then, I have a lot of faith in Maxwell becoming a good top 2 line center. You're right about Grabovski... His future is kind of up in the air right now. However, if he sticks around, he could become something special. I think he just needs a bit more experience and adjustment to the speed of the NHL.

Don't get me wrong here... I have nothing against drafting a talented centerman. I just don't think it's worth passing up on a winger, d-man or even a goalie that the team feels has more upside, just for the sake of drafting a center.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

The NHL network has been showing specials on the draft each night. Monday it was the '04 draft, last night it was the '05 draft and tonight is the '06 draft. The '04 draft wasn't too good in terms of Habs coverage, I only recall one part at the end where Crosby interviews Chipchura and says that the Habs are his favorite team and how good the jersey looks or something along those lines.

The '05 draft show was better, had Timmins doing an interview and had several clips with Gainey talking to other gms, not much on Price though.

Hope tonights show has more Habs content.

Old
06-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Ther's another guy from Midget AAA who was on Ckac yesterday, he saw the five of them playing during their Midget years, and during their QMJHL years and he said the same thing, he was really high on Yann, he said that if the CH could pick him at 25th they sould jump on it.

Still i either want Deschamps (Can play as a winger), M. Sauvé, Gustafson or Petrov as our first pick. Viktor Tikhonov, Cornet, Harri Sateri or Larson as our second pick... but still i have full confidence in Timmins, whatever his choices maybe be.
and therein lies the problem....

Old
06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Guys, I'm done with my mock draft. It's a really interesting draft after the top 10 because anything can happen. If like I predicted, two goaltenders hear their name before our pick, we might have a shot at Deschamps.

Anyways, let me know what you think of it...

1) Tampa Bay Lightning – Steve Stamkos, Center : The obvious pick here. I don’t think the gap between him and the top defensemen of the draft is that big, he’s clearly the best player available. I don’t see him as the next big thing, but he’ll be very valuable to the Lightning, who might get the younger version of Mike Modano.

2) Los Angeles Kings – Zach Bogosian, Defense : A few months ago, the Kings would have taken Drew Doughty, but now, they will go for Zaxh Bogosian. He’s the most complete defenseman of the draft with his combination of size, skills and physical play. He’s also close from the NHL, which is good for a team like the Kings.

3) Atlanta Thrashers – Drew Doughty, Defense : It’s a no brainer for the Trashers who never had a top defenseman since their creation. While I think Doughty has work to do with his defensive coverage, his offensive attributes are unquestionable. He’ll anchor the Trashers power play as soon as next year.

4) St. Louis Blues – Luke Schenn, Defense : While the Blues could draft a high end talent like Filatov, they will go for the best shut down defenseman of the draft in Luke Schenn. His offensive upside isn’t great, but in his own zone, he’s gonna be nothing but dominant. He will be a beast at the NHL level and he might become the upgraded version of Mike Komisarek.

5) New York Islanders – Nikita Filatov, Left Wing : Mike Comrie was the leading scorer of the Islanders this year, and he had only 49 points. New York needs scoring really soon, and Filatov is all about that. He might even be able to jump in the NHL as soon as next year because is talent level is really close, if not better than Stamkos. He’s already committed to moving in North America as soon as next year.

6) Columbus Blue Jackets – Alex Pietrangelo, Defense : The Jackets is the only team who never made the playoffs. The reason is pretty simple, they never had the depth at any position. Now that they have a good goaltender in Pascal Leclair, they need to build from the back end, and Pietrangelo is the first piece of the puzzle. He’s a complete defenseman who will still need a year or two before making the big jump. He’s the weakest link of the top 4 defenseman of this year’s draft, which show how strong it is.

7) Toronto Maple Leafs – Colin Wilson, Center : The Leafs always was a team with a good taste for big and strong players, and it still is. They learned from a few mistakes made in the past so they will not repeat them. That’s why they’ll take Wilson, a physical monster who has all the skills to make it to the big show. His offensive upside is quite high, and the downside is still good. Not a big risk with a player like him, and he’ll be ready in no time because of his physical attributes.

8) Phoenix Coyotes – Cody Hodgson, Center : The Coyotes let Blake Wheeler go for a compensatory pick. They made a huge mistake that year, but will correct is by selecting Cody Hodgson. While not big, he can do it all on the ice. He’s a complete player with great offensive upside. While he’ll never be a star, he’ll be a valuable player for a team like the Coyotes.

9) Nashville Predators (from FLA) – Mikkel Boedker, Wight Winger : The Predators could very well pick a goaltender at this point, but will go with a high end forward in Boedker. He already has one year in North America behind his belt and will continue his learning with the Kitchener Rangers before making the jump in the NHL. Boedker will bring a great load of offensive potential with him when he’ll hit the capital of country music.

10) Vancouver Canucks – Kyle Beach, Left Wing : The Canucks already have a strong young defense group, but unfortunately for them, they don’t have much offensive punch beside the Sedin brothers. That’s why they will select the big forward Kyle Beach, who could become the next Bertuzzi. While his mental is questionable, there is no denying that he’s one of the best offensive players of the draft.

11) Chicago Blackhawks – Chet Pickard, Goaltender : The Hawks are starting to be one of the mot complete team in the NHL with so many promising young players, but if they want to be successful, they’ll need a really good goaltender. While they have depth at this position, they don’t have a top end talent, and that’s why they’ll pick the best goaltender available in Chet Pickard.

12) Anaheim Ducks (from EDM) – Colton Teubert, Defense : The Ducks like hard working North American player, and Teubert is just that. If he continue to develop well, he’ll be one of the best defensive defenseman of the draft, and he’ll fit in the mold of the Ducks like a glove. While he’ll never bring much offence, he’ll be a valuable shut down player.

13) Buffalo Sabres – Erik Karlsson, Defense : Buffalo went from a top team to a so-so team within two years, so they will have to rebuild a bit. They need a little bit of everything, but when they’ll look at the available players, they jump on the mic to get Karlsson who could become better than some of the big top 4. While not overly big, he has all the qualities to become a great defenceman in the mold of Niklas Kronwall.

14) Carolina Hurricanes – Tyler Myers, Defense : The Hurricanes made a huge mistake a few years ago when they traded Jack Johnson for almost nothing. Now, they’ll hope to draft someone to forget that mistake in Tyler Myers. His size is quite impressive, and he has some skills to go with it, but he misses something to become a real stud. However, he should become the next tall thing and not bust like Boris Valabik.

15) Nashville Predators – Zach Boychuk, Center : The Predators already have one of the youngest and most promising blue line of the NHL, so they’ll draft a second good forward to go with that. Boychuk might be small, but he’s skilled and shifty. He’s also a hard working kid so he’ll fit well in the Preds system.

16) Boston Bruins – John Carlson, Defense : He’s big, he’s strong, he’s talented…what’s not to like in John Carlson. That’s some of the reasons the Bruins will jump on the occasion to select him. Boston have many good young forwards and a great young goaltender, so they need to build the middle section, and that’s what they’ll do by selecting the promising young American.

17) Calgary Flames – Josh Bailey, Center : Sutter will once again go for a typical Flames kind of player in Josh Bailey. He’s a hard worker and a two way player so he’ll fit as soon as he’ll hit the NHL. While is skating is a concern, his offensive potential is quite good.

18) Ottawa Senators – Jacob Markstrom – Goaltender : A year ago, the Sens were set in net with Ray Emery, but now, the story is quite different. That’s why they’ll go with the second most promising goaltender in Jacob Markstrom. He can win games by himself and he’s quite big in front of the net so Murray and his crew will hope to have a stud to back his great group of forwards.

19) Columbus Blue Jackets (from COL) – Joe Colborne, Center : With their second pick, the Jackets will hope to draft their much needed first line center in Joe Colborne. That guy is huge and skilled, but some are concerned about his effort. If he boom, he’ll be dominant, and if he bust, he’ll be added on the big list the Columbus mistakes.

20) New York Rangers – Mattias Tedenby, Left Wing : The Rangers are getting older each year and they’ll need to think about their future quite soon. They are set in net for many years to come, but needs to add more promising defenseman and forwards. They already have some promising prospects at those position, and it will only get better when they’ll add Tedenby, a shifty and offensively gifted forward. He’s not small, but he plays with fire, just like Saku Koivu plays the game.

21) New Jersey Devils – Jake Gardiner, Defense : Where to start with the Devils. They have so many gap to fill! While there’s the falling Sbisa still on the board, they’ll go with Gardiner, who ooze potential. He once was a forward, but was converted on the blue line, so he still has things to learn at that position. He’s kind of a Duncan Keith in a Brent Burns situation.

22) Edmonton (from ANA) – Jordan Eberle, Center : There is some interesting players who are still available because of the two goaltenders taken in the top 20, but the Oilers will go the Jordan Eberle, a small but talented and dangerous player. He’s a pure goal scorer who could for an interesting duo with Sam Gagner. While he’s small, his potential is too good to pass by.

23) Washington Capitals – Luca Sbisa, Defense : The long wait will finally be over for Sbisa. While there’s no denying in the Swiss talent, some were more interested in the upside of others defensemen taken before him. Sbisa will never break anything, but he’ll be a steady player on any team, and he’ll be just that on the Caps blue line.

24) Minnesota Wild – Zac Dalpe, Center : Dalpe is a Wild kind of player, as he’s talented and plays the game with passion. He’s a hard working player who is responsible in every zone. He’s more of a scorer than a playmaker and he’ll contribute in any role in Minnesota.

25) Montréal Canadiens – Nicholas Deschamps, Center : The Canadiens were hoping to see Deschamps falls to them, and their true came true. Deschamps is solid anywhere on the ice, and he gives it all every shift. While his upside is hard to predict, his downside is still a good third line player. When he’ll get bigger and stronger, he’ll only be better.

26) Buffalo (from SJS) – Corey Trivino, Center : The rebuilding of the Sabres continue with Corey Trivino, a really talented forward who fell because of his size and playing level in the past seasons. He’s a junior A player, but a really good one. He showed everyone that he was able to play on a higher level at the last U18 and he has the potential to become one of the best playmaker of the draft.

27) Philadelphia Flyers – Tyler Cuma, Defense : The Flyers don’t have that much holes in their team anymore so they’ll pick a defenseman who’ll never shine, but who’ll play his role to perfection. He’s not huge, nor the most offensively gifted, but he skates well and he’s steady.

28) Los Angeles Kings (from DAL) – Anton Gustafsson, Center : With all their picks, it’s obvious that the Kings will go for a little bit of everything in their draft. With this selection, they will go for a player with not much downside in Gustafsson. Because of many injuries, it’s hard to predict how good he’ll be offensively, but his talent and passion for the game let many to believe that he’s going to be a good one.

29) Atlanta Thrashers (from PIT) – Michael Del Zotto, Defense : With their second first round pick, the Thrashers will go for one of the most gifted defenseman of the draft in Michael Del Zotto. If he fell that much on draft day, it’s because of his defensive play which isn’t really good. He can still work on it, and if he can becomes more complete, he’ll shine on the PP with his fellow partner Drew Doughty.

30) Detroit Red Wings – Cody Goloubef, Defence : Detroit will have not only win the Stanley Cup, but also a chance to pick Cody Goloubef, who is already a mature player. While he’s not impressive to watch, Cody has a complete game to offer and he don’t make much mistakes. He don’t have the skills of a top 15 pick, but he shouldn’t bust, which mean that in 5 years, he could be one of the 15 best player of the draft.

Subject to miss the first round : Goloubef, Gustafsson, Trivino, Markstrom and Cuma

Subject to make the first round : Ennis, McClolum, Whal, Robak and Ness

Old
06-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Minnesota will probably pick a defenceman, and if the do pick a center it's probably going to be Deschamps, not Dalpe.

Old
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

after looking at mckenzie ranking i guess im a pretty good scout loll ive been comparing (with whitesnake) deschamps to patrice bergeron all year and BANG bobby mac compared deschamps to bergeron lol

and he had my earlier draft crush patrice cormier no53th

cant wait for the draft

Old
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
le_sean

Anyone think Timmins likes Hodgson? He seems to be the best centre after Stamkos. Obviously he goes in the Top 10, but maybe Timmins really loves the kid and the Habs push for a Top 10 pick. Just seems like a Habs kind of player.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Anyone think Timmins likes Hodgson? He seems to be the best centre after Stamkos. Obviously he goes in the Top 10, but maybe Timmins really loves the kid and the Habs push for a Top 10 pick. Just seems like a Habs kind of player.
I could very well see Timmins being in love with Hodgson. I am myself. However, I just don't think we have the assets available to make a trade into the top ten to get him.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Guys, I'm done with my mock draft. It's a really interesting draft after the top 10 because anything can happen. If like I predicted, two goaltenders hear their name before our pick, we might have a shot at Deschamps.

Anyways, let me know what you think of it...
Good job as usual.

-First things that comes to mind is that I totally agree as far as Bogosian ahead of Doughty. We might regret it, but I just have that total man crush on Bogosian...

-Don't know why but I have that strong feeling that if Hodgson is still available Leafs will pick him.

- To me, Pickard and Teubert are too high while I definately agree that Karlsson could end up as the surprise riser of the day.

- Carlson is great at 16, I'm pretty high, like you, on him.

- Don't see Myers being taken that low while I really believe that if Del Zotto fell that much, the team that will pick him will seriously have a great gift. I just like his game.

- The rest....I just have nothing to say. It all makes sense to me, whatever that means...

I even agree with your make and miss first rounds....There could be a couple of other names in the mix but it's not worthed, like the Russian Duo of Doom, Petrov and Grachev and so on....

Pretty good job.

Old
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems to be as the Leafs kind of player too.....

Old
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm more inclined to believe it would be Wilson, he is the more complete player in the Brind'amour-Francis mold of centerman...obviously it would require trading up to 8-9-10 as he could go at any point after Stamkos Filatov and the big 5 d-men. Boedker is also in the mix at 8-9-10...Hodgson to me is behind those 2.

Old
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm more inclined to believe it would be Wilson, he is the more complete player in the Brind'amour-Francis mold of centerman...obviously it would require trading up to 8-9-10 as he could go at any point after Stamkos Filatov and the big 5 d-men. Boedker is also in the mix at 8-9-10...Hodgson to me is behind those 2.
Who has more offensive upside, Hodgson or Wilson?

Old
06-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

There's a huge rivalry in college hockey, or whatever in the states. Anyways, Carolina's owner owns a one team and the team they hate is the team Johnson played on, so he already has a dislike for the Hurricanes organization and would never play for them.

I'm not sure if it's the owner, or not,but that's pretty much the reason they had to trade him,.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Well definately me and Stéphane Leroux don't think alike. The Quebec "specialist" think that Deschamps will be nothing more than a 3rd or a 4th liner if he plays in the NHL.

And between Deschamps, Max Sauvé, Yann Sauvé, Cormier and Paquette, the one that he would take, that he thinks has the most potential is.....Yann Sauvé.....And he would definately be #5 on that list for me.....I'm not a Yann Sauvé's fan but I understand that he has some good qualities. I just think that the other 4 have more chances to make an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Ther's another guy from Midget AAA who was on Ckac yesterday, he saw the five of them playing during their Midget years, and during their QMJHL years and he said the same thing, he was really high on Yann, he said that if the CH could pick him at 25th they sould jump on it.

Still i either want Deschamps (Can play as a winger), M. Sauvé, Gustafson or Petrov as our first pick. Viktor Tikhonov, Cornet, Harri Sateri or Larson as our second pick... but still i have full confidence in Timmins, whatever his choices maybe be.
If the Habs hold a No Draft list, I would bet that Y. Sauve would be on that list. Although the total package is ok, every aspects of his game has question marks. Skating and mobility are not as good as it should be, his testing results at the combine were less than overwhelming ( one of the highest body-fat, has one of the lowest scores in strength push-up, and was average in upper body and lower body development), not quite a stay at home defenseman or an offensive defenseman, and his hockey sense always in question.

Knowing Timmins, Sauve raises too many red flags.

Old
06-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think Wilson is getting overrated due to his physique. OK, he's already in NHL shape, but Hodgson will be close to that in a few years anyway.

But being ripped doesn't make Brind'amour a great 2-way forward, the natural talent he has to work with does.

Quote:
Who has more offensive upside, Hodgson or Wilson?
Well 2 weeks ago Wilson sounded like Son of Linden from all the scouting reports. Now after the combines, people see a higher upside all of a sudden. I'm not saying Wilson doesn't have 1st line upside, but he had 2nd line C written all over him a month ago.

Hodgson is an incredibly gifted goalscorer that some scouts believe is only scratching the surface of his talent. Add to this his smart 2-way play and speed, you've got a center to build your team around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
There's a huge rivalry in college hockey, or whatever in the states. Anyways, Carolina's owner owns a one team and the team they hate is the team Johnson played on, so he already has a dislike for the Hurricanes organization and would never play for them.

I'm not sure if it's the owner, or not,but that's pretty much the reason they had to trade him,.

If that's true I just became a Jack Johnson fan. Hardcore!

Old
06-18-2008, 03:01 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

What? Jack Johnson played for Michigan, it's a state university not owned like a team. Before that he played at SSM with Crosby which is a US prep school.

Old
06-18-2008, 03:25 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
You guys should read Woodlief's live chat. He says Colbourne lacks commitment and may have a hard time when he turns pro. He says some stuff on Deschamps and Del Zotto too.

http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chat...pt.aspx?c=1855

Old
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
GeneralMarky79

Mathieu Tousignant: Possible 2nd or 3rd Rounder?

Hey everyone I am from PEI and I was wondering if everyone has ever seen the PEI Rocket this year? Mathieu Tousignant who was traded mid way through the season to the rocket was one of their best players in the last half of the season. Where he really excelled was in the Playoffs where he really stepped up his game big time. He is fast, he has a pro Joe Sakic like snap-shot , and he is a BIG TIME pest. He would be a huge upgrade over Lapierre even though we just re-signed him but tousignant is only 17 and is probably 4 years or more away from hitting the pros.That's if he makes it. Anyway I was just wanted to hear everyones thought on maybe TT lookin at him in this year's draft? Trust me he stepped up his game in the Playoffs which is very Important for someone that young.

Here are his stats from last year. Be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts?

GP G A PTS PIM +/-
Tousignant, Mathieu 63 22 34 56 129 -7

Old
06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
-Don't know why but I have that strong feeling that if Hodgson is still available Leafs will pick him.

- To me, Pickard and Teubert are too high while I definately agree that Karlsson could end up as the surprise riser of the day.

- Don't see Myers being taken that low while I really believe that if Del Zotto fell that much, the team that will pick him will seriously have a great gift. I just like his game.

I even agree with your make and miss first rounds....There could be a couple of other names in the mix but it's not worthed, like the Russian Duo of Doom, Petrov and Grachev and so on....

Pretty good job.
Thanks!

Hodgson to the Leafs wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, it would make total sense. For me, it was Wilson or Hodgson. They will both be pretty good, but I just love Wilson scoring awareness. He was great in both U18 and U20...

If I was GM, I wouldn't take Pickard and Teubert that high, but I think it could make sense with those teams. Reading about them, I think some scouts like them more than others, and Pickard might go sooner rather than later.

As for Myers, he might be selected earlier, but I just don't have a good feeling about him. I think he'll only be ok, but IMO, guys like Gardiner and Carlson will be better than him in the long run.

And for the Russians who could make the first round, I agree that Petrov and Gratchev could both make it base on talent, but I just think there will be safer option so that's why I didn't bothered putting them there.

Old
06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Not very big at 5'11'' and doesnt put up massive numbers...

Id say a 6th round choice

Old
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
GeneralMarky79

haha wow 6th round? hes 17 still has like 2 or 3 years to grow.

hes actually projected to go 3rd round

Old
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty77 View Post
haha wow 6th round? hes 17 still has like 2 or 3 years to grow.

hes actually projected to go 3rd round
And that is why Im not a scout

Old
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
ziggy46

how about danick paqette with our second pick, don't know much about him other then he's a tough son of a gun

Old
06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
bpa. bpa. bpa. bpa!!

Erik Karlsson, Nicolas Deschamps.

Old
06-18-2008, 06:29 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What? Jack Johnson played for Michigan, it's a state university not owned like a team. Before that he played at SSM with Crosby which is a US prep school.
Maybe someone in the Carolina organization has some sort of connection to Ohio State?

Closed Thread