HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list Summer 08.... Who is coming? Who do you want Gainey to bring?

Old
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
GNick42

vCash: 500
Sundin and Naslund as UFA...are my picks. Trade Higgins to move up in draft

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Aside from Hossa, i'm not really interested in any of the players listed.

Like last year, the biggest improvement the Habs are going to get are going to be from players like, Plekanec, Kostitsyn x2, Komisarek, Higgins, Price and to a lesser extent, O'Byrne, Latrendresse, Lapierre, Chipchura and Halak.

Every year we all go through the same thing when it comes to UFA's, however, it always proves that the best improvement a team can make is from within.

I'm one of the few who really isn't all that interested in going after Sundin...not at the price it's going to cost at least. Nothing against Mats who's a solid player, but throwing 6 or 7M at him considering his age/production, just doesn't entice me personally.

I'd rather the improvement comes from within and that Gainey can pull the trigger on some type of deal at the deadline
I don't follow your logic. Sundin has shown he's still very productive, and if he'll take a one-year deal, why not offer him $7M? Acquiring a player at the deadline costs us assets. Sundin does not.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Like last year, the biggest improvement the Habs are going to get are going to be from players like, Plekanec, Kostitsyn x2, Komisarek, Higgins, Price and to a lesser extent, O'Byrne, Latrendresse, Lapierre, Chipchura and Halak.

Every year we all go through the same thing when it comes to UFA's, however, it always proves that the best improvement a team can make is from within.

I'm one of the few who really isn't all that interested in going after Sundin...not at the price it's going to cost at least. Nothing against Mats who's a solid player, but throwing 6 or 7M at him considering his age/production, just doesn't entice me personally.

I'd rather the improvement comes from within and that Gainey can pull the trigger on some type of deal at the deadline

We don't need all these great players! We are good enough. You hear that, World? We are THAT good!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:

The biggest improvements we got are from guys like Kovalev and Hamrlik. These two together made our team a good, competitive team. However, I don't think it is safe to rely on two 35 old guys to build our success. We need more depth. We need this Umberger/Franzen type of player who will pot points when it's important. And from what I see, a couple of roles need to find takers on this team. We have to improve by the UFA market. It's a must. Besides maybe Pacioretti, none of our rookie is NHL ready before 2010-2011.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Miller Time

Kost- Sundin- Kovalev
Higgins- Koivu- Selanne
Kost jr- Plekanec- Jagr
Lats- Chipcura-Lapierre
kosto, begin

markov-komi
hamrlik-obyrne
gorges-bouillion

done and done... so easy being a gm!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Its great what Gainey has done, which is build our team through the draft. It is essential if you want to have a good team for years to come. But i always felt that in order to bring a team to the next level, you need to acquire a solid free agent. Right now we're a good team, to be even better we obviously need to go out and get that player we need (whatever that need is)

I don't agree with that...you fill needs with free agents or you compliment your roster with key free agents, but the core of your team starts from within. Look at the Red Wings, most of their players are from within their system...they added Rafalski to complement the rest of the defense core, but that's about it.

When Anaheim won, it was because Burke made some shrewd moves by trading for key players and the development of his drafted players. Same thing when the Hurricanes won, same story when Tampa Bay won.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Sundin and Naslund are tempting... As for Higgins, as much as I hate this player, I would not trade him for anything less than for a pick to secure Filatov...

Old
06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I would trade Higgins. But for Esposito. At this point, it's not like Chris will likely help us anyway. Higgins is not talented enough to be on our first two lines. Not gritty enough to work the third and fourth. While Esposito still has offensive potential. And the Trashers GM likes Higgins.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
I don't agree with that...you fill needs with free agents or you compliment your roster with key free agents, but the core of your team starts from within. Look at the Red Wings, most of their players are from within their system...they added Rafalski to complement the rest of the defense core, but that's about it.

When Anaheim won, it was because Burke made some shrewd moves by trading for key players and the development of his drafted players. Same thing when the Hurricanes won, same story when Tampa Bay won.
- Anaheim won because of Pronger, Niedermayer, and Selanne, all acquired through trades and in the UFA market.

- The Hurricanes went and got Weight and Recchi who were both very useful in the long stretch, and got Stillman and Whitney in the UFA market the year before.

- The Flyers took the UFA path last year and made it to the final in the Eastern Conference.

In the new NHL, tomorrow is today.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I don't follow your logic. Sundin has shown he's still very productive, and if he'll take a one-year deal, why not offer him $7M? Acquiring a player at the deadline costs us assets. Sundin does not.
How can you not follow my logic? We finished in first place this year in large part to our drafting/development of players. Yes, we also signed Hamrlik as a free agent last year but that was to compliment what was already there

Don't get me wrong, Sundin is a great player and i've always admired him...i just don't like offering a ton of money to a guy who is aging and has never really accomplished anything team-wise in his career.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
How can you not follow my logic? We finished in first place this year in large part to our drafting/development of players. Yes, we also signed Hamrlik as a free agent last year but that was to compliment what was already there

Don't get me wrong, Sundin is a great player and i've always admired him...i just don't like offering a ton of money to a guy who is aging and has never really accomplished anything team-wise in his career.
I was referring specifically to the argument that I reference in my post. I agree that even without a free agent, our team could improve based on the improvement of our young players.

You don't want to offer a ton of money to a guy like Sundin, but you're happy giving up a first round pick to rent him at the deadline from some other team that gave him a ton of money? That seems to be what you're suggesting, which is what I don't understand.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
The biggest improvements we got are from guys like Kovalev and Hamrlik. These two together made our team a good, competitive team. However, I don't think it is safe to rely on two 35 old guys to build our success. We need more depth. We need this Umberger/Franzen type of player who will pot points when it's important. And from what I see, a couple of roles need to find takers on this team. We have to improve by the UFA market. It's a must. Besides maybe Pacioretti, none of our rookie is NHL ready before 2010-2011.
Kovalev and Hamrlik did what they were supposed to do, they did what Gainey paid them to do as free agents. However, it's Plekanec's 69pts that surprised most people or Andrei Kostitsyn's breakout that established that as a legit #1 line

We need more Umberger/Franzen type of players? yes I agree, but why don't we continue to let our young players continue to develop, just like Umberger/Franzen did.

Look at Datsyuk, 3 or 4 years ago everyone talked about how talented he was but everyone also talked about how he was soft and disapeared in the playoffs...what happened this year? He's developped into the player he is today because the Wings gave him that opportunity

Improving by the UFA market is not a must...improving from within is

Old
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would trade Higgins. But for Esposito. At this point, it's not like Chris will likely help us anyway. Higgins is not talented enough to be on our first two lines. Not gritty enough to work the third and fourth. While Esposito still has offensive potential. And the Trashers GM likes Higgins.
OMG, no to Pleks for Stasny and then this.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:

Don't hide your head in the sand... We finished first because of and only because of Kovalev who had a great season this year. As good as our young guys are, romove Kovalev from the equation and we're not even close to the 1st place.

The Kostitsyn would not have gotten 40 points together if it wasn't about Kovy.
Plekanec would have gotten less than 60 points.
Koivu would have been worst again.
Every single player would have had less room to deal with on the ice.

If Kovalev only knows an ok season next year, don't cheat yourself, we're back between 6 and 9.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Kovalev and Hamrlik did what they were supposed to do, they did what Gainey paid them to do as free agents. However, it's Plekanec's 69pts that surprised most people or Andrei Kostitsyn's breakout that established that as a legit #1 line

We need more Umberger/Franzen type of players? yes I agree, but why don't we continue to let our young players continue to develop, just like Umberger/Franzen did.

Look at Datsyuk, 3 or 4 years ago everyone talked about how talented he was but everyone also talked about how he was soft and disapeared in the playoffs...what happened this year? He's developped into the player he is today because the Wings gave him that opportunity

Improving by the UFA market is not a must...improving from within is
And without those two you REALLY think we could have made it to the post-season?

Old
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Magic33

Quote:

thats what i meant. In order to bring your team to the next level, you need to bring players in, whether that be a third line centre or a top 3 forward. You cannot fill EVERY need your team has through the draft, it just doesnt happen. you need to add pieces to the puzzle through other means

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I was referring specifically to the argument that I reference in my post. I agree that even without a free agent, our team could improve based on the improvement of our young players.

You don't want to offer a ton of money to a guy like Sundin, but you're happy giving up a first round pick to rent him at the deadline from some other team that gave him a ton of money? That seems to be what you're suggesting, which is what I don't understand.
Not at all...not sure where you got that.

All i'm saying is that every year people get all hyped up on acquiring the biggest free agent and spending the most money...I just think that it's a flawed logic

I think the Habs have a solid core of young players they should continue to build around with...I think getting a guy like Hossa fits more into what Gainey has built than guys like Sundin or Jagr.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Didn't Higgins score 27 last year? How many teams have 4 wingers that scored more and can play PK?

Higgins has 10 times the grit Esposito has.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
OMG, no to Pleks for Stasny and then this.
go away n00b!

Old
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Not at all...not sure where you got that.

All i'm saying is that every year people get all hyped up on acquiring the biggest free agent and spending the most money...I just think that it's a flawed logic

I think the Habs have a solid core of young players they should continue to build around with...I think getting a guy like Hossa fits more into what Gainey has built than guys like Sundin or Jagr.
I think it's the opposite...with Sundin/Jagr/Selanne you are signing a player for 1-2 years at big money, while Hossa will require a 6-7 year cap hit. Signing Hossa will cause cap problems down the road when the Kostystyns Lats Pleks Higgins Komi O'byrne Price Koivu Kovy etc need new contracts. Signing one of the 3 older guys will just complement the young, speedy core.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Don't hide your head in the sand... We finished first because of and only because of Kovalev who had a great season this year. As good as our young guys are, romove Kovalev from the equation and we're not even close to the 1st place.

The Kostitsyn would not have gotten 40 points together if it wasn't about Kovy.
Plekanec would have gotten less than 60 points.
Koivu would have been worst again.
Every single player would have had less room to deal with on the ice.

If Kovalev only knows an ok season next year, don't cheat yourself, we're back between 6 and 9.
??? what are you talking about?

Kovalev did what he was supposed to do, he did what Gainey thought he would do when he signed him as a free agent 3 years ago. Yes, i'm happy about that but i'm not going to annoint him a God because he finally lived up to what was expected of him.

I am going to give out props and single out guys like Plekanec who surpassed ALL of our expectations, same story with AK46, Komisarek, Price and IMO, even Higgins

Even Hamrlik, I was one of the few who wanted Hamrlik here prior to him signing and he did exactly what I expected of him

Old
06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
les3couleurs

Quote:
go away n00b!
You weren't joking ?

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Didn't Higgins score 27 last year? How many teams have 4 wingers that scored more and can play PK?

Higgins has 10 times the grit Esposito has.
Higgins has more grit. So what? I believe Higgins will never get better than what he got us last year. And that's not a lot. The guy is one of our worst player at 5-on-5, more often that not we get scored on when he's there. Guy putting him on the PK is a joke.

Old
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
And without those two you REALLY think we could have made it to the post-season?
No I don't? When did I say that?

But I also don't think we could of made the post season without the improvements of the players i've already mentionned

Old
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
You weren't joking ?
not by the Go Away part