HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers After Hossa's Rights?

Old
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Do you really consider Hossa to be a top-level, truly elite talent..?

I definitely do not. While I think he's on the tier right below, even after this year's playoffs I still don't consider him on the same level as guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, etc.
He's not in that group. But those guys rarely become available.

06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

I hear the Rangers have interest in Bryan McCabe to run the PP, hear any thing?

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I can't see him signing anywhere when he's 13 days away from the open market.
didnt hartnell and timmonen sign like 2 or 3 days before UFAs could start on open market last year when there rights were traded to phili

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
how could anyone possibly be happy with 3 of the best players in the entire universe all being on the same team, with that team not being the Rangers, and more importantly a team we have to play 6-8 times a year (depending on what they do with the schedule)

We're only playing division teams 6 times next season. As a result, we will play every Western Conference team AT LEAST once (three teams twice), and intra-conference teams 4 times each (remains unchanged).

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
If Kovalchuk by some miracle ever reaches free agency, I doubt the cap implications would be any concern at that point. He's the type of player you do whatever you need to do to fit him into the lineup.

That said, I don't see him (or Vinny, for that matter) reaching free agency anytime prior to the age of 35 (or thereabouts). But hey, look at the bright side, at least then the Rangers can sign him on the down-slope.
He's not going to stay in Atlanta.

And if he gets dealt within the next two years, there is no guarantee he will stay with that team either. This will be his first year of Unrestricted Free Agency, i highly doubt a player of his caliber, who can get the max, will pass on that.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:22 PM
nyr7andcounting

Only way it's true is if they are letting Jagr go. Or they'd sign Hossa and go to Jagr and say take a half price deal for a year because we can win the cup. But I don't think either is true anyway.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Do you really consider Hossa to be a top-level, truly elite talent..?

I definitely do not. While I think he's on the tier right below, even after this year's playoffs I still don't consider him on the same level as guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, etc.
i absolutely consider Hossa to be an elite top level talent. he plays a superb 2 way game, with 35-40 goals, 45-50 assist numbers regularly.

Ive always been a huge fan of Hossas. With Crosby for a full year, id expect him to top 50 goals.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

And if he gets dealt within the next two years, there is no guarantee he will stay with that team either. This will be his first year of Unrestricted Free Agency, i highly doubt a player of his caliber, who can get the max, will pass on that.
Yeah then we will sign him to the Biggest contract ever of a cap hit of 11 mil per

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

he loves atlanta. he hates losing.

If atlanta can show him a concerted effort to improve their team, and pony up the money it would take to keep him, he would stay. Dont underestimate the quality of life here in atlanta. i absolutely LOVE it here, and would NEVER go back to the north east again.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
didnt hartnell and timmonen sign like 2 or 3 days before UFAs could start on open market last year when there rights were traded to phili
They also got some hefty contracts to avoid UFA. Hartnell without a doubt got overpaid in that contract... something he wasn't likely to surpass by going UFA.

And I'm glad you brought that example up because it's the exception that proves the rule. That deal only happened because Philly and the 2 players agreed on the numbers before the trade was completed. That trade was also set up at the previous deadline which is evidenced by Nashville's 1st going to Philly for Forsberg and then back for the rights of the 2 players. It wasn't on paper that way but some sort of handshake agreement was made to open the door for early negotiating. The possiblity of that door opening was only created by the changing ownership which almost alway coincides with money dumping.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

It's against my beliefs to participate in threads that originated from Eklund "chatter"... Sorry

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Celestial Black

I hope we don't get him.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 08:44 PM
PGHRanger

The word here in Pittsburgh is Hossa will sign a 7 yr deal with the Pens and accept less than market value to stay.

Malone is all but gone to Columbus in some type of trade that includes Orpik.

The Penguins will also sign Malkin to a long term deal and Fleury is willing to go to arbitration.

PGHRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Dont underestimate the quality of life here in atlanta. i absolutely LOVE it here, and would NEVER go back to the north east again.

At the risk of hijacking the thread. +1

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
They did. Hartnell and Timmonen are not anywhere near the players that Hossa is. Hartnell and Timmonen also got huge pay raises.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Cherepanov 71

I can't see Pittsburgh trading Hossa's rights to us. We just played them in the second round and they know how much more dangerous we would be with him. It would be in Pitts best interest to try and deal him out west.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
I can't see Pittsburgh trading Hossa's rights to us. We just played them in the second round and they know how much more dangerous we would be with him. It would be in Pitts best interest to try and deal him out west.
If they feel they can't sign him they are better off trading his rights to whatever team gives them the best deal (and get something for him instead of losing him for nothing). They could trade his rights to a western conference team and he could still sign with a team in the East.

Old
06-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
If they feel they can't sign him they are better off trading his rights to whatever team gives them the best deal (and get something for him instead of losing him for nothing). They could trade his rights to a western conference team and he could still sign with a team in the East.

Of course he could come back East but with the talk of Hossa wanting to possibly play for the Rangers I cant see them dealing him to us. Makes us more deadly and them less.

Old
06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Of course he could come back East but with the talk of Hossa wanting to possibly play for the Rangers I cant see them dealing him to us. Makes us more deadly and them less.
I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that Hossa wants to be a Ranger. But assuming he does, if you're the Pens would you rather he come to the Rangers for nothing or would you rather he come to the Rangers and then get some asset in return?

Old
06-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that Hossa wants to be a Ranger. But assuming he does, if you're the Pens would you rather he come to the Rangers for nothing or would you rather he come to the Rangers and then get some asset in return?

Its a tough call but I guess the assets. Would sure set us up to be a very good offensive team. Dawes-Gomez-Hossa sounds like a real nice line, and they are very aware defensively.

Old
06-18-2008, 08:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Its a tough call but I guess the assets. Would sure set us up to be a very good offensive team. Dawes-Gomez-Hossa sounds like a real nice line, and they are very aware defensively.
You have to get something if you are the Pens and you know you can't/aren't re-signing him.

Of course, I think this is all moot as I don't see Hossa becoming a Ranger.

Old
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
nyrangers23

no hossa please

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
squishy

Some 4th-hand information to add to the mix...

Quote:
Former Ranger Petr Sykora chatted with a local reporter upon returning to the Czech Republic. The question was about Syky's likelihood of returning to Pittsburgh this fall given the arrival of flanker Marian Hossa at the trade deadline and published reports that Hossa is being fiercely courted by the Penguins before he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Petr told the scribe that he had spoken to Marian who told Sykora it was his first wish to do a deal with Ottawa, if that could be arranged.
http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Some 4th-hand information to add to the mix...

http://www.hockeyrodent.com/
That was easily the most useless thing he's ever posted.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
We really need to make it a rule that every Eklund rumor MUST have "EKLUND RUMOR" somewhere in the thread title. That way, most of us can know to ignore it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote