HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

Old
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
For what he does, I'd easily give him 3.5mil. He's way more than a third liner.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by d a n n y View Post
Avery is that you?

thank god you're not the GM.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Fletch

Forechecker...

not sure if Avery's invisible when he takes a shift off - he seems to turn the puck over more and take stupid penalties when he takes off a shift. And this is my real issue with him. If he just kept it simple, went out and played hard, he'd be a consistent 20/50 guy who agitates and is physical. He has very good hands and instincts. I don't know though - something in his head turns off (or on) and he can be two different players out there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think a legit Stanley Cup contender does not have a guy like Sean Avery playing on its top two lines.
Edmonton went to the finals with Raffi Torres in their top six

Anaheim won the Cup with Dustin Penner, over Ottawa, who featured 4 forwards that I would take ahead of Avery

Detroit had 4 forwards with more PPG than Avery and one of them wouldn't have come even close had he not been playing alongside two superstars with a **** load of PP time.

so pretty much I think your wrong.

until I see a list of the 180 forwards that produce more at ES than Avery, I will consider him a top six forward.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Fletch

-31-...

having a real hard time understanding your post. You're saying SBoB's wrong about a legit Stanley Cup contender having a guy like Avery but say: "Anaheim won the Cup with Dustin Penner" - Penner had 29 goals in the regular season, 11 more than Avery's career high. You want to see a list of 180 forwards better than Avery (top 6 multiplied by 30 teams), but there aren't 30 teams out there that are Stanley Cup contenders, which was Singn's point. But in any event, there may be other traits of a top six forward than just absolute points.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Very true(overall message)..but honestly....do you think there is not one very desperate team out there that won't offer him 3.5?

Heck I think he could get 3 million from 25% of the teams....I doubt many teams will drop out of the running for another $500,000...(Sure every fan against him hates him ...but every smart GM knows what he brings..something that 99% of the other players in the NHL doesn't..)

If Sather lets him go....he will be signed by someone very fast IMO for the 3.5 he wants.
I agree, there are plenty of teams who I figure would antup up to 4.0-4.5 for him. He is young and a UFA.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Avery is that you?

thank god you're not the GM.
People on here were talking about giving him 4mil a few weeks ago if I remember correctly.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
having a real hard time understanding your post. You're saying SBoB's wrong about a legit Stanley Cup contender having a guy like Avery but say: "Anaheim won the Cup with Dustin Penner" - Penner had 29 goals in the regular season, 11 more than Avery's career high.
he also had 16 assists. Avery had more points per this year than Penner that year, that's why I picked him. whether his more goals makes up for the difference, or not, I think it's fair to say that he's "a guy like Avery".

Quote:
You want to see a list of 180 forwards better than Avery (top 6 multiplied by 30 teams), but there aren't 30 teams out there that are Stanley Cup contenders, which was Singn's point.
sorry, I should have been more clear, the last line wasn't directed at Singn', it was directed at the many others that called Avery a 3rd liner.

Quote:
But in any event, there may be other traits of a top six forward than just absolute points.
ok, but I think a list of 180 forwards that are "better" than Avery would be even harder to produce.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is from a few days ago but..........................................

From Glen Sather's favorite hockey writer-Jim Matheson

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f0&k=62933&p=2
And how exactly does Jim Matheson know whether Avery is popular in the dressing room, or not?

Sounds like a sensationalistic National Enquirer/Star Magazine type of prose and approach by that writer; if you ask me.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
And how exactly does Jim Matheson know whether Avery is popular in the dressing room, or not?

Sounds like a sensationalistic National Enquirer/Star Magazine type of prose and approach by that writer; if you ask me.

Enquiring minds want to know.

My guess is he probably does'nt know, however it's easy to see the logic that he's used.

This thread contains a whole lot of mixed opinions on Sean, those who think he's a funny guy who's great for team morale and someone who gets the spirits up of his teamates, and those of us who think he is an annoying little pratt, it's highly likely that the Rangers being a good mix of people of differing personalities from different backgrounds that the room is equally split on whether he's great or annoying, because what we do know is that the Sean we see on the tv and in the papers is the same Sean in the locker room.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Pizza

Quote:

"he's not that popular in his own dressing room."

I'm not buying this. I'm not saying Avery is worshipped mind you, but I'll take Dru's word on this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Quote:

"he's not that popular in his own dressing room."

I'm not buying this. I'm not saying Avery is worshipped mind you, but I'll take Dru's word on this.
agreed, i still think Avery or Sather is bluffing (more avery than sather).

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Avery could have made a pass at Drury's wife the night before and he still would have said the same exact thing, because that's what a team guy and a leader like Drury says during the playoffs.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Avery could have made a pass at Drury's wife the night before and he still would have said the same exact thing, because that's what a team guy and a leader like Drury says during the playoffs.
HAHA.....the funny thing is.....thats true

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Not only is it true, but it wouldn't surprise me...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by d a n n y View Post
In some ways that's true, in others not so much. I mean Avery is arguably the best 3rd liner in the league. That said, he's not really talented enough to be playing on the second line. But he brings plenty of intangibles, which is worth something. He's a hard guy to put a value on.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
100% correct. People put too much stock into that Drury quote. A true leader even if they hate a particular teammate's guts would say something like that in the media. He's not going to say something negative about his teammates during the playoffs especially or at any time. He's out there to set an example and to boost the team's morale. How would the team react if one of their leaders said 'Avery was an idiot for doing that, he always does idiotic things like this, I can't stand it. We really need to get rid of this guy.'

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
In The Flesh

Without Avery, Barring an addition of a major offensive force (not likely imo) the team assembled next season WILL NOT make the PO's. It just won't happen. The forwards sucked last season. We lose Avery's production (I know its not a ton, but when you add his production on top of what we're already losing, see below, thats a ton) and his heart and soul, we're not fit to compete in the POs. If Sather is looking to take a step back, he can go to hell, what BS.

- aging Shanny, if any, ditto for Straka
- aging Jagr, cannot carry the team, nor is it fair he be asked to
- Gomez and Drury cannot carry the team offensivly as they proved last season
- rookes and 2nd yr players can't be expected to pick up the slack of this magnitude

Again. Heres the math.

Rangers - Avery = 10th spot come mid Apr 09
Rangers - Avery + lethal offensive force = PO spot
Rangers + Avery + help on D = PO spot

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
100% correct. People put too much stock into that Drury quote. A true leader even if they hate a particular teammate's guts would say something like that in the media. He's not going to say something negative about his teammates during the playoffs especially or at any time. He's out there to set an example and to boost the team's morale. How would the team react if one of their leaders said 'Avery was an idiot for doing that, he always does idiotic things like this, I can't stand it. We really need to get rid of this guy.'
Yes, we need to go back to our play before we aquired him. I for one am sick of losing, lackluster hockey. Some of you don't seem to mind.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Yes, we need to go back to our play before we aquired him. I for one am sick of losing, lackluster hockey. Some of you don't seem to mind.
Ummm there were quotes around that as if Drury were to say it, read more carefully. If he wants too much money that statement does hold true though.

BTW, Avery is not the player who is going to get this team over the hump so stop making him to be that guy. Two years straight he folds when the real challenge starts and the elite teams come to play.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Gravesno9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I really, really, don't want to have to dig out my Fire Sather signs I put away during the lockout. What a moron. He don't sign Avery, he needs to be fired, I'm not kidding. His **** ups out weigh his decent moves by a million miles if this happens.
I totally agree...all this clown does is smoke his cigars, plays golf and collects a nice fat paycheck....must be nice....he'll definitely screw this one up too.

Gravesno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
darrenturcotte#8

This is pretty simple guys. Sean Avery will be an Islander next season. He's a ***** who wants money and the NYC lifestyle. The Islanders need to fill the seats and can't attract anyone with talent except the likes of Mike Comrie. Its a match made in heaven for an organization that has no young talent, no vet talent and an inability to even get above the salary minimum. Nobody wants to play out there so they need to over pay to attract anyone. Thats the appeal to Avery. $4+ mill/yr and its a done deal. Its a perfect fit, good bye Sean.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
nyrangers23

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This is pretty simple guys. Sean Avery will be an Islander next season. He's a ***** who wants money and the NYC lifestyle. The Islanders need to fill the seats and can't attract anyone with talent except the likes of Mike Comrie. Its a match made in heaven for an organization that has no young talent, no vet talent and an inability to even get above the salary minimum. Nobody wants to play out there so they need to over pay to attract anyone. Thats the appeal to Avery. $4+ mill/yr and its a done deal. Its a perfect fit, good bye Sean.
for a guy interning at vogue and trying to start his own line i seriously doubt the ny islanders is goin to give him the exposure he needs. he will stay n sign for 2.8 for 2 yrs. plus he is into fashion and putting on the islanders jerz is def a fashion dont

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He's a hard guy to put a value on.
Best point made so far. The debate is, what is he worth to the Rangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
A great example of how this player IS worth foolish money to the right team, just not the Rangers.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I don't understand something...Avery has played on the top 2 lines for two season yet we keep calling him a 3rd line player...What am I missing here?

I can see everybodys point that doesn't want him back for $3.5M but I still disagree with it. Here we have a guy that ALWAYS sticks up for his teammates (I question any Rangers player that doesn't want Sean Avery as a teammate) It also doesn't really matter to us or effect us what goes on in the lockeroom....for somebody to say that the coaches and players aren't ther to babysit a player I mean come on...Why do teams have captains? Because Avery won't give Sam Weinman a quote or tell Delipina anything that makes him a bad guy? Who cares about that stuff...

For anybody to say that the reason Avery played so hard is because it was a contract year clearly never saw Avery play BEFORE he became a Rangers player. Also in a contract year he played with a lacerated spleen for two periods....I mean what does that tell you?

We have become to spoiled the past 3 years...We call guys that are 29 old...We have no apperciation for effort or intangibles just what a guy does on a stat sheet. Forget the fact Avery was the only play that had any chemistry with all THREE of the Rangers centers..Forget the fact that Avery was our 2nd line center on a team that almost made the ECF last season...A first line LW during half the season...A second line LW for the other half of the season...But he's a third line player? where...when?

If we you want to replace Avery then please lets here all the plan Bs? Lets hear who everybody wants to bring in...

It's almost like some guys would rather play the younger kids and have a fire sale then actually winning...

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 06-19-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote