HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2008, 06:52 PM
  #76
zaluty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
I live in an OHL city so these are my picks if they go the OHL way
1-Greg Nemisz
2-Josh Brittian
3-Steven Johnson
4-Mike Murphy
7-Jason Missiaen 6'7'" goalie from Peterborough

zaluty is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
  #77
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Seeing that the rights to Prospal was traded from the Flyers to TBay for a 7th rounder and a conditional 2009 pick, why wouldn't Gainey do the same for Ryder and/or Streit? Especially if you don't want these guys in your conference, pretty sure that LA would send some picks our way for Ryder's rights? Same for Streit....

Would give us more picks....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
  #78
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seeing that the rights to Prospal was traded from the Flyers to TBay for a 7th rounder and a conditional 2009 pick, why wouldn't Gainey do the same for Ryder and/or Streit? Especially if you don't want these guys in your conference, pretty sure that LA would send some picks our way for Ryder's rights? Same for Streit....

Would give us more picks....
I doubt Ryder would get us anything but Streit for sure would get us at least a 6th/7th rounder as many teams will be interested in him come July 1.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
  #79
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I doubt Ryder would get us anything but Streit for sure would get us at least a 6th/7th rounder as many teams will be interested in him come July 1.
We did send a 7th rounder to the Rangers for the rights to Ryan Russell....can't imagine Ryder won't fetch anything especially if you know that Boston will be interested and that Dallas might need him as well. Obviously, with the tons of pick they have, I'm more encline to think that LA needs to have a much better year next year and Ryder will definately help no matter what we think of him.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
  #80
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What? Jack Johnson played for Michigan, it's a state university not owned like a team. Before that he played at SSM with Crosby which is a US prep school.
He grew up playing hockey in Detroit and they have huge rivalries. It's speculation as to why he wouldn't come play for Carolina, but did go play for LA right away and it's because Peter Karmanos is part owner of a good team there, compuware and Johnson played for one of their biggest rivals. Apparently he wouldn't play for a team owned by Karmanos because of that.

I talk to a pretty die-hard Canes fan everyday, so he hears the news and such about them. It's speculation, but if the rivalries are that big, then it could be why they had to trade for... so little, even though Gleason is turning out good and playing better than Johnson now.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
  #81
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
If the Habs hold a No Draft list, I would bet that Y. Sauve would be on that list. Although the total package is ok, every aspects of his game has question marks. Skating and mobility are not as good as it should be, his testing results at the combine were less than overwhelming ( one of the highest body-fat, has one of the lowest scores in strength push-up, and was average in upper body and lower body development), not quite a stay at home defenseman or an offensive defenseman, and his hockey sense always in question.

Knowing Timmins, Sauve raises too many red flags.
Agreed. I've seen Yann Sauvé play in person and he's a pylon defensively and makes horrible giveaways. I recall TDG saying earlier in the season that TT thinks Sauvé's brutal. There's no way the Habs will take him.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 09:17 PM
  #82
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
I live in an OHL city so these are my picks if they go the OHL way
1-Greg Nemisz
2-Josh Brittian
3-Steven Johnson
4-Mike Murphy
7-Jason Missiaen 6'7'" goalie from Peterborough
You my friend will never ever be a scout for the Habs! Hahaha...just saying this because from the informations that went in all of the draft threads, those first two guys should be « no draft » for Timmins and his crew.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
  #83
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He grew up playing hockey in Detroit and they have huge rivalries. It's speculation as to why he wouldn't come play for Carolina, but did go play for LA right away and it's because Peter Karmanos is part owner of a good team there, compuware and Johnson played for one of their biggest rivals. Apparently he wouldn't play for a team owned by Karmanos because of that.

I talk to a pretty die-hard Canes fan everyday, so he hears the news and such about them. It's speculation, but if the rivalries are that big, then it could be why they had to trade for... so little, even though Gleason is turning out good and playing better than Johnson now.
I believe Johnson and the Canes also had a falling out because Rutherford and Co. wanted him to play in the NHL right away and were pressuring him to do so while Jack really wanted to go to Michigan.

le_sean is offline  
Old
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
  #84
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
I live in an OHL city so these are my picks if they go the OHL way
1-Greg Nemisz
2-Josh Brittian
3-Steven Johnson
4-Mike Murphy
7-Jason Missiaen 6'7'" goalie from Peterborough
For me, the only interesting names out there are the goalies especially Missiaen who could be available at the later stages of the draft and could be a great bet. Though is it possible that despite not being a regular, he won't be there in the 7th 'cause of that great size he has?

Johnson in the 3rd round is much much too soon for him. Liked what I saw, but that's definately a 5th rounder and up type of material for me. Can't say I would do everything to get him though but I like his maturity in his game, his feistyness and I know that there's room for growth. How much though, I'm not sure. Brittain and Niemisz, I have my big questions marks on them.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 07:58 AM
  #85
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
You my friend will never ever be a scout for the Habs! Hahaha...just saying this because from the informations that went in all of the draft threads, those first two guys should be « no draft » for Timmins and his crew.
Right....

No one here knows anything about Timmin's list.

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
  #86
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Right....

No one here knows anything about Timmin's list.
I don't think you can speak for everyone.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 08:12 AM
  #87
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Right....

No one here knows anything about Timmin's list.
you'd be surprised what some people know.....

Artie is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  #88
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Gainey was on the Andrew Carter morning show today. He blabbed about the usual, but the thing that caught my eye was when he said that at #25 they are looking at "several Quebecers".

Thoughts?

Brisebois is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  #89
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
Gainey was on the Andrew Carter morning show today. He blabbed about the usual, but the thing that caught my eye was when he said that at #25 they are looking at "several Quebecers".

Thoughts?
Deschamps
Sauve (Y)
Sauve (M)
Cormier

Artie is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
  #90
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Deschamps
Sauve (Y)
Sauve (M)
Cormier
Cormier is not a Quebecer.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 09:29 AM
  #91
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Terry was a sharpshooter almost Neely like. He never improved his skating though and had some concussion problems. If his skating would have improved he would have been something. Think Gary Roberts
Spot on. Concussions and very poor player management derailed Ryan's career. The last couple of Ryan's concussions came as a result of fights with legitimate heavyweights. He should have had a couple of solid learning years in the AHL before he was even exposed to the NHL level and he should have been developed into the poor-mans Brendan Shanahan mold and not Bob Probert shadow mold. Alas, he had the misfortune of the Peanut Houle and Pierre Mondou (both good players but in over their head in NHL management) player development vacuum.

24Cups is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
  #92
Faute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Was Mark Barberio one of the QMJHL player invited by Montreal? Haven't seen him this year, but as a 16 year old, he was rock solid defensively, with decent size and what seemed like good skating abilities. I'm a little bit amused/intrigued (but not surprised) by the lack of interest he's gathering around here, or even the "scouting circles".

We'll see.

Faute is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
  #93
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faute View Post
Was Mark Barberio one of the QMJHL player invited by Montreal? Haven't seen him this year, but as a 16 year old, he was rock solid defensively, with decent size and what seemed like good skating abilities. I'm a little bit amused/intrigued (but not surprised) by the lack of interest he's gathering around here, or even the "scouting circles".

We'll see.
I really liked Barberio in the 2 games I saw him play. The knock against him is his skating, but I didn't notice. His good passing and smarts probably hid his lack of mobility, in those games anyway. I guess that's why I'm a fan instead of a scout?

Roulin is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
  #94
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Cormier is not a Quebecer.
Thanks for pointing that out. We don't have many good NHL prospects in New-Brunswick so it would be nice for some journalists to do a little research before publishing something. Brunet of la Presse and someone for Le Journal de Québec made that same mistake.

And for those interested, 23 teams talked to Cormier during the combines, and I guess Montreal was one that that team...


Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 06-19-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
  #95
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Oops. Forgot to mention something else Gainey said.

Carter asked him what their drafting strategy is, and Gainey explained that in his mind they have an NHL roster and a non-NHL roster, which is the one they need to address.

On the non-NHL roster, they need to fill some spots, such as goalie.

Then he said that they usually go for the best available player, but do try and cover their needs for their 'non-NHL roster'.

Andrew Carter asked him what they do if they are high on a certain player, and Gainey explained that if they really want a certain player, and they know another team is also high on him, by way of their scouts seeing other teams scouts at the same game or such, then they will trade to get that player (I am assuming he was referring to the trade to draft Latendresse).

It seems as though the Habs are looking to draft at least 1 goalie. Perhaps at #25 they may surprise and pick Peter Delmas?

Brisebois is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 10:57 AM
  #96
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
Oops. Forgot to mention something else Gainey said.

Carter asked him what their drafting strategy is, and Gainey explained that in his mind they have an NHL roster and a non-NHL roster, which is the one they need to address.

On the non-NHL roster, they need to fill some spots, such as goalie.

Then he said that they usually go for the best available player, but do try and cover their needs for their 'non-NHL roster'.

Andrew Carter asked him what they do if they are high on a certain player, and Gainey explained that if they really want a certain player, and they know another team is also high on him, by way of their scouts seeing other teams scouts at the same game or such, then they will trade to get that player (I am assuming he was referring to the trade to draft Latendresse).

It seems as though the Habs are looking to draft at least 1 goalie. Perhaps at #25 they may surprise and pick Peter Delmas?

dont know if the habs are high on delmas but i know his dad is originally from montreal but couples months ago i heard one of the habs quebec scout talking about Jake Allen and he said they were high on him and tought he was a hidden gem in the qmjhl this year and he said after the u-18 "he's no longer a hidden gem!!!"

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
  #97
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,585
vCash: 500
more i think about it, Nicolas deschamps is just making too much sense to montreal

-great work ethic
-versatile (can play center/lw)
-good size (6-1 185lbs)
-local kid ()
-two-way players (like the habs like them)


some people are saying he will be gone before 25th (not too sure about it to be honest) but thats probably why gainey/timmins are trying to move up in the draft. but sometime the players fell in the draft for some weird reason (mcdonagh and pacioretty were both top10 on timmins list and we've got them with the 12th and 22th pick)

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
  #98
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 500
My dream...

1) Tedenby/Deschamps/Eberle/Dalpe
2) Ness/Ennis/Trivino/M.Sauvé/O'Dell/Cormier
3) Paquette/Petersson/Tokarski/Holtby/Poulin

Le depisteur is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
  #99
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. We don't have many good NHL prospects in New-Brunswick so it would be nice for some journalists to do a little research before publishing something. Brunet of la Presse and someone for Le Journal de Québec made that same mistake.

And for those interested, 23 teams talked to Cormier during the combines, and I guess Montreal was one that that team...
i like cormier a lot ive been pimping him since this draft thread was created by me in september i think

i like his game, he's tough, defensively responsible, great on faceoff, not a bad skater for a big guy, offensively is still raw but i see potential there but at worst case scenario he will be a third line checker!!! and i love his acadian accent

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
06-19-2008, 11:16 AM
  #100
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Don't read too much into Gainey's "looking at several quebecers" response. He's playing the PR game and nothing more.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.