HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

Old
06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

From Sam:

Quote:
From a report in Sports Business Daily:
The NHL has proposed disciplinary proceedings against MSG that could result in the suspension or termination of their ownership of the NHL Rangers, according to a draft letter written by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman that was filed in New York district court late yesterday. The letter, part of the league’s ongoing legal fight against MSG, alleges that MSG – by suing the NHL – has violated the league constitution.
More on this as I have it…

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Levitate

I have a hard time seeing this going through...sounds like scare tactics. Other owners should take notice, at any rate.

Especially over something as small as the team website

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
RANGERS2448

is this all over the website

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Cherepanov 71

wahhh nhl wahhhh, get over it

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Its business as usual here at Kramerica Industries.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
is this all over the website
Yes.

How did it go, again? The Rangers wanted to retain control over their website and offer exclusive content on it, but the league was forcing them to adopt the cookie cutter design, so the Rangers sued and lost?

So now the league pulls out this threat? Meh. I really have a hard time seeing them go through with anything, seeing how much money the Rangers bring in

Old
06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Rules are rules. If MSG can't follow the perceived small rules involving the Rangers, how can the expect them to follow the perceived big rules. I know fans of the team can't see the right or wrong in this, but I'll throw that juicy nugget out there anyway.

Rules aren't meant to be broken. That's what's this is all about.

-Captain Obvious

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes.

How did it go, again? The Rangers wanted to retain control over their website and offer exclusive content on it, but the league was forcing them to adopt the cookie cutter design, so the Rangers sued and lost?

So now the league pulls out this threat? Meh. I really have a hard time seeing them go through with anything, seeing how much money the Rangers bring in
they conformed to the cookie cutter site after they lost in court so how are the in violation

Old
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
they conformed to the cookie cutter site after they lost in court so how are the in violation
Apparently there's some clause in the league "constitution" that says you can't sue the league for anything. Which I find pretty interesting, myself...

edit: It's not about not conforming now, it's about the fact that the Rangers sued in the first place. That seems vaguely...not right to me. So all NHL teams have no legal recourse if the league decides to **** them over on something? Seems weird

Old
06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
squishy

Quote:
They conformed, but where still fighting it legally I believe.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Levitate

Yeah, which is why this seems more like a "knock it off. Now." move from the NHL

Also, ******* you hfboards and you're crappy advertisements. If the Richmond Folk Festival advertisement pops up in front of me one more time I swear I'm going to flip out in a completely ineffective and petty way

Old
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Also, ******* you hfboards and you're crappy advertisements. If the Richmond Folk Festival advertisement pops up in front of me one more time I swear I'm going to flip out in a completely ineffective and petty way
Firefox 3.0 with ******* Plus and Flash Block is your friend.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
could result in the suspension or termination of their ownership of the NHL Rangers
?????

So if MSG (Dolan) didn't own the Rangers, who would? and where would they play?

This is completely ridiculous.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:29 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
?????

So if MSG (Dolan) didn't own the Rangers, who would? and where would they play?

This is completely ridiculous.

think the league would take control and would they have to pay msg to play at the garden all this seams really far fetched is anyone else other thaen sam reporting on this??

Old
06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
think the league would take control and would they have to pay msg to play at the garden all this seams really far fetched is anyone else other thaen sam reporting on this??
****... as if we didn't have enough problems, and just when the organization was headed in the right direction, the LEAGUE might take over control?

This is out of control.

As much as i can't stand Dolan, i HATE the thought of the league taking over and completely ruining the organization and also not being able to watch the games on TV because MSG (Dolan) owns Cablevision and MSG Network.

I'm going to vomit.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
He got it from Sports Business Daily, which is a paid site. If you click the link, the story's on the right hand side.

I wouldn't be so quick to scoff at this, it could have serious repercussions for the Rangers. Maybe not revoking the franchise (how psyched would we be if that happened, no more Dolans!) but I could see serious fiscal penalties, loss of draft picks, and more.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
****... as if we didn't have enough problems, and just when the organization was headed in the right direction, the LEAGUE might take over control?

This is out of control.

As much as i can't stand Dolan, i HATE the thought of the league taking over and completely ruining the organization and also not being able to watch the games on TV because MSG (Dolan) owns Cablevision and MSG Network.

I'm going to vomit.
I think the league would very quickly turn around and find a buyer for the team, maybe at a cut rate. But, yes, it would seriously harm the team.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm getting physically ill.

Losing draft picks? No ownership? New RANDOM ownership at a discount???? What then, we move out of MSG into a parking lot? Or we have to pay Dolan MORE to pay in MSG?

What then of being able to see games on TV?????

ALL OVER A ****ING WEB SITE!!!!?????

Do these ****ing *******s give a **** about the fans? Or they just only care about their own personal agendas and personal gain?

If i didn't HATE Dolan and Bettman before, i certainly HATE them now.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Forechecker

Quote:

Losing draft picks? No ownership? New RANDOM ownership at a discount???? What then, we move out of MSG into a parking lot? Or we have to pay Dolan MORE to pay in MSG?

Do these ****ing *******s give a **** about the fans? Or they just only care about their own personal agendas and personal gain?

A hubris rears her ugly head again. This is a total smackdown by Bettman for the Dolans believing they are bigger than the league. I think this will get uglier before it gets better.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
I don't buy this whole thing, putting in a 'constitution' that you can't be sued just places you at some sort of tyrannical status, it's never right if you legally are proclaimed to always be in the right.

That's just like passing a law saying the government is always right, and then whatever happens to you, well, tough luck. I just don't buy that clause in the NHL 'constitution' passing in a court of law.

Aside from that, the Dolans have invested a lot of money on the team (not necessarily wisely but that's besides the point). The NHL can't just take it away, if anything I see the NHL taking huge financial damages by the legal hellstorm the Dolans would bring on them if they try this stunt.

Finally, suppose the NHL by some legal miracle to oust the Dolans and take over the team. What next? They'll move the NYC franchise to Hamilton? Hartford? Please...

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Quote:

This a microcosm of "what's wrong with the NHL"

Old
06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
I don't buy this whole thing, putting in a 'constitution' that you can't be sued just places you at some sort of tyrannical status, it's never right if you legally are proclaimed to always be in the right.

That's just like passing a law saying the government is always right, and then whatever happens to you, well, tough luck. I just don't buy that clause in the NHL 'constitution' passing in a court of law.

Aside from that, the Dolans have invested a lot of money on the team (not necessarily wisely but that's besides the point). The NHL can't just take it away, if anything I see the NHL taking huge financial damages by the legal hellstorm the Dolans would bring on them if they try this stunt.

Finally, suppose the NHL by some legal miracle to oust the Dolans and take over the team. What next? They'll move the NYC franchise to Hamilton? Hartford? Please...
The league is a legal monopoly, they have considerable powers over what teams may and may not do. It's not unprecedented for a league to take over a franchise. While not exactly apples to apples, look at what MLB did with the Expos.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Un-****ing-believable.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
bigblue21

In my opinion, nothing of note is going to happen.

Bettman feels the need to flex the league's muscle, but is he really going to penalize the hockey side of things for the Rangers as punishment for bringing a suit?

A fine, administrative sanctions, ok. This is not spygate, in-game issues, or tampering with FA's. It is over a suit regarding the team's website. No way the league handicapps the Rangers on the hockey side.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Rules are rules. If MSG can't follow the perceived small rules involving the Rangers, how can the expect them to follow the perceived big rules. I know fans of the team can't see the right or wrong in this, but I'll throw that juicy nugget out there anyway.

Rules aren't meant to be broken. That's what's this is all about.

-Captain Obvious
To what degree? Suppose Congress passes a law that you may not do anything if your house gets burglarized and you suffer damages. Does that mean from now on it'll be happy hour for thieves?

There's a point where bad rules need to be brought out to the light and contested, what the NHL are doing over this website argument is ridiculous and ethically questionable.