HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olli Watch

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Heimy

vCash: 500
..and btw, if we deal with Minny I want to at least see one of Mikko Koivu or James Sheppard coming back. PMB is over-rated imo.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Georgia Panther

GR-"I Don't Think Olli Is Here Come Monday"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
And why was Yormark missing from the Deboer Presser? But he did find time to meet Olli for a promotion in Parkland that Jokinen came back from vacation for and at which he gave Olli a big bear hug.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...in-parkla.html

Old
06-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
..and btw, if we deal with Minny I want to at least see one of Mikko Koivu or James Sheppard coming back. PMB is over-rated imo.
Brent Burns is my guess who JM wants from Minny and good luck with that.

Old
06-19-2008, 06:46 AM
SufferingCatFan

Thanks. I've been suspecting Minny for a while as a logical trading partner. The Wolves have apparently concluded that Gaborik will not resign and will leave as a free agent at the end of next season. Trading him for Ollie gives them the scoring center they need, who is signed for 2 years. It saves them $2.25mm in salary this year, which allows them to resign 35 year old Rolston etc. and continue winning.

The Panthers are tired of Ollie and have too many centers on the roster anyway (Stumpel,Weiss, McClean, Krepps), especially with Mattias expected to move up this season. They need a scoring winger in the worst way, especially a young stud who is a contemporary of Horton et al. They are probably willing to take the chance that they can re-sign Gaborik for next season, when they have a number of vet contracts coming off the books.

This would appear to be a win-win. My concern is that Marleau also fits Minny's needs and SJ would be greatly improved with Gaborik playing next to Thorton. But, it is hard to trade within the same conference. Besides, Ollie better fits their needs and has a cheaper contract.

Old
06-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
Thanks. I've been suspecting Minny for a while as a logical trading partner. The Wolves have apparently concluded that Gaborik will not resign and will leave as a free agent at the end of next season. Trading him for Ollie gives them the scoring center they need, who is signed for 2 years. It saves them $2.25mm in salary this year, which allows them to resign 35 year old Rolston etc. and continue winning.

The Panthers are tired of Ollie and have too many centers on the roster anyway (Stumpel,Weiss, McClean, Krepps), especially with Mattias expected to move up this season. They need a scoring winger in the worst way, especially a young stud who is a contemporary of Horton et al. They are probably willing to take the chance that they can re-sign Gaborik for next season, when they have a number of vet contracts coming off the books.

This would appear to be a win-win. My concern is that Marleau also fits Minny's needs and SJ would be greatly improved with Gaborik playing next to Thorton. But, it is hard to trade within the same conference. Besides, Ollie better fits their needs and has a cheaper contract.
The reason Gaborik doesn't want to re-sign with Minny is not money but because Lemaire is too defensive orientated. I'm sure Gabby would welcome a trade to the wide open, no holds bar offensive juggernaut that is the Florida Panthers.
That is one Jokinen trade I would bet a million dollars does not happen.

Old
06-19-2008, 07:08 AM
petteri

Send a message via Yahoo to petteri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
And why was Yormark missing from the Deboer Presser? But he did find time to meet Olli for a promotion in Parkland that Jokinen came back from vacation for and at which he gave Olli a big bear hug.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...in-parkla.html
For whatever reason GR has pulled that post from his blog. I just read it earlier this morning.

It sure seems like Olli is on his way out this time. Too many signs pointing in that direction to ignore now. I wonder who they will present as the face of the team now?

Old
06-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by petteri View Post
For whatever reason GR has pulled that post from his blog. I just read it earlier this morning.

It sure seems like Olli is on his way out this time. Too many signs pointing in that direction to ignore now. I wonder who they will present as the face of the team now?
Can you (or anyone else) tell us what it said?

Old
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Georgia Panther

GR took a slight rip at the Organization. Wondered why Yormark wasn't at the Deboer Presser yet was at a Promotion in Parkland that Jokinen had returned from Vacation to attend and at which Yormark gave Jokinen a big bearhug. Somebody from the Panthers said Yormark wasn't at the Presser because it was strictly a "hockey matter" and GR remarked "like that had ever stopped him before". He concluded that it says something about the Organization that the Team President was absent at the Press Conference to announce the hiring of a new coach but found time to attend a silly promotion and that no wonder Jokinen wants out. On second thought, that was quite a rip at the Organization!

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 06-19-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old
06-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I haven't read through the thread, but I'd like to chime in:

We should trade Olli. He's the kind of player that would help win a Stanley Cup NOW. We are still 're-building' whether we want to admit that or not. Trade him at the draft along with our pick for a stud player in the 20-25 age range.
'along with our pick'? - are you referring to our first round pick which Nashville owns?

06-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
GR took a slight rip at the Organization. Wondered why Yormark wasn't at the Deboer Presser yet was at a Promotion in Parkland that Jokinen had returned from Vacation to attend and at which Yormark gave Jokinen a big bearhug. Somebody from the Panthers said Yormark wasn't at the Presser because it was strickly a "hockey matter" and GR remarked "like that had ever stopped him before". He concluded that it says something about the Organization that the Team President was absent at the Press Conference to announce the hiring of a new coach but found time to attend a silly promotion and that no wonder Jokinen wants out. On second thought, that was quite a rip at the Organization!
He was probably told by Yormark or Cohen to pull the blog or they'd pull his press pass. Or more likely his boss was told that.

Old
06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
petteri

Send a message via Yahoo to petteri
If that's the case that's totally foolish. The Panthers need all the press they can get. GR provides bonus coverage of the Cats through his blog and helps keep them in the news even during the off season. Petty foolishness from the Panthers if this is true. Amateur hour.

Old
06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Amazing how GP was the only one to catch this.Hmmm...

06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Amazing how GP was the only one to catch this.Hmmm...
My skeptical friend, for your information petteri also read GR's blog and posted on the previous one asking why it was deleted.

Old
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Georgia Panther

The Blog Entry was titled "Pride in Parkland" and started out by talking about a Panthers Promotion won by some rich dude in Parkland in which one of his "six' bedrooms was re-decorated in Panther colors and memorabilia. Jokinen flew back from vacation to attend and Yormark was there and gave him a big bearhug. GR wondered why Yormark was able to attend a silly promotion but not the news conference for Deboer. Someone gave the explanation that Yormark wasn't at the Presser because it was strictly a hockey matter which GR didn't believe because Yormark has been in on all the "hockey matter" pressers in the past. He concluded that it says something about an Organization that Yormark could attend a silly Promotion event but not the Press Conference introducing a new Head Coach and no wonder Jokinen wants out and that GR believes Jokinen will not be a Panther by Monday.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Thank you! At least someone agrees with me. The timing of his comments against Olli were questionable at best. That was a problem with Martin calling him out AFTER the season was already over and after we were out of contention. Martin totally used Jokinen to save his own job IMO.

I'm skeptical as to whether Olli can get back on track and produce a lot. I've always wondered how he put up such big numbers. He has that shot and has some skill to score some nice goals, but he never jumped out at me as a big point producing player, although he kept proving me wrong. Hopefully if we hang on to him, he'll produce for us. If we don't, we'll probably never get a higher return than now.
I think we haven't really used Olli the way we need to to benefit the team. IMO I think all we need for Olli to become an elite scorer is someone who can really dish him the puck like a Thornton or a Savard. Someone in that league. Otherwise Olli will never reach his full potential. He will always be a point per game player at best. I'd like to think he is better than that and really wish if he is staying that JM would get him somebody to play with.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I wouldn't say we're rebuilding so much as waiting for the cement to dry...
Very true.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Haj

How is trading our best goal scorer going to help us score goals ?

Old
06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
How is trading our best goal scorer going to help us score goals ?
It won't unfortunately, unless we're getting Gaborik or a couple solid 25 goal scorers in return.

Btw, anyone else think it's a little surprising that Olli flies back from vacation and Yormark and he go now to do the promotional thing? I'm sure the date was set in advance, but with Olli most likely being moved and no longer a panther after the draft anyone think that they got that out of the way so that he did it while he was still a panther as to not upset the winner and those who were in the competition?

Old
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post

I don't want Gaborik unless he signs long term. I also don't think JM will trade for Gaborik unless he is guaranteed to be a Panther for more then 1 season.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:57 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I don't want Gaborik unless he signs long term. I also don't think JM will trade for Gaborik unless he is guaranteed to be a Panther for more then 1 season.
Yeah true, but what if he did sign.......how awesome would that be having Gaborik here for 4+ years. He's so sick and a lot like Bure only he plays two ways.

Old
06-19-2008, 10:07 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Seriously you guys are taking this too far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Sentinal's Gorton
So I spoke to Jokinen's agent, Mark Gandler, on the phone today. Gandler wouldn't comment on the report, saying it wasn't substantiated by any sources and that TSN had not contacted either him or Jokinen.

Here's what Gandler did say regarding rumors of Jokinen being traded and whether he wants to stay with the Panthers or not: "All year, pretty much, he’s been playing with this hanging over him. He really doesn’t want to worry about it anymore. It’s going to be what it’s going to be. The organization has to make a decision which way to go and he’s fine with whatever the organization decides."
Everything is fine...

Old
06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Anyone else read that LA is also staying in the same hotel as Florida. Makes me wonder if the rumored big deal by LA is going to be with us? From the looks of it, all the signs are pointing to Olli pretty much going somewhere else for sure. If it is LA I hope we can add to the trade and get more from them. Something simular to below. Idk?

To Florida:
Cammy
Boyle
2nd Overall Pick

To LA:
Jokinen
Van Ryn
Murphy
Ellerby

Old
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Anyone else read that LA is also staying in the same hotel as Florida. Makes me wonder if the rumored big deal by LA is going to be with us? From the looks of it, all the signs are pointing to Olli pretty much going somewhere else for sure. If it is LA I hope we can add to the trade and get more from them. Something simular to below. Idk?

To Florida:
Cammy
Boyle
2nd Overall Pick

To LA:
Jokinen
Van Ryn
Murphy
Ellerby

No way we deal Ellerby

Old
06-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Yeah true, but what if he did sign.......how awesome would that be having Gaborik here for 4+ years. He's so sick and a lot like Bure only he plays two ways.
That would be awesome!

Old
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
No way we deal Ellerby
I would if it means we get that 2nd overall pick!

Closed Thread