HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens 2008 draft preview

Old
06-19-2008, 12:00 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Canadiens 2008 draft preview

The Canadiens hold the No. 25 pick in the 2008 draft.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:16 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Ugh, Gardiner? I don't know. I guess if he dropped he would be the BPA. But with Subban, Weber and Carle, who needs more offensive d-men, especially in the first round?

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:18 AM
McTusk

He was only a Mr. Hockey finalist, don't they know anything about the Habs.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

draft will be legitimate.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Le depisteur

Gardiner...

Le depisteur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Gardiner...
He's gonna be a good one, but because he's a defenceman, I wouldn't be thrilled...but still, I'm trusting Timmins and his crew.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Ugh, Gardiner? I don't know. I guess if he dropped he would be the BPA. But with Subban, Weber and Carle, who needs more offensive d-men, especially in the first round?
With no guarantees that any of the above mentioned names will become successful at the NHL level, I am in the group that says you can never have enough young blueline talent. Adding forwards thru free agency is easier than adding quality dmen.

With that being said, if Gardiner and a forward whom Timmins felt was very close as the BPA when the habs picked, I guess I'd rather have the forward at this point.

06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
With no guarantees that any of the above mentioned names will become successful at the NHL level, I am in the group that says you can never have enough young blueline talent. Adding forwards thru free agency is easier than adding quality dmen.

With that being said, if Gardiner and a forward whom Timmins felt was very close as the BPA when the habs picked, I guess I'd rather have the forward at this point.
So "adding forwards thru free agency" is EASY...

How come the Habs are unable to get some good ones ?

This team needs badly a sniper or another strong power forward.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
So "adding forwards thru free agency" is EASY...

How come the Habs are unable to get some good ones ?

This team needs badly a sniper or another strong power forward.
Adding forwards isn't EASY, but I think your chances of adding an offensive forward in the free agent market is EASIER that adding a offensive defenceman in the free agent market strictly because there are so few offensive defenceman around.

Also teams are ALWAYS looking for young dman, so trading is always a route as well.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

But in that case I'd rather take Ness whose offensive skills are pretty elite whereas Gardiner might seem like an offensive type right now, but how would they translate to upper levels of hockey? Kind of like David Fischer. Offensive in high school, not too sure about afterwards. Ness on the other hand is more of a project and risk, but high reward (a la Mike Green).

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Darz

Quote:
But in that case I'd rather take Ness whose offensive skills are pretty elite whereas Gardiner might seem like an offensive type right now, but how would they translate to upper levels of hockey? Kind of like David Fischer. Offensive in high school, not too sure about afterwards. Ness on the other hand is more of a project and risk, but high reward (a la Mike Green).

I agree that if everything is relatively equal, I would rather see the habs nab a forward in the first round, but if Gardiner is Timmins BPA when its the habs turn to pick, I'll be happy with that pick,

....not because it will nessesarily be the pick I wanna see, but because I trust that he is the BPA in Timmins mind.

In Timmins I trust.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
kyne

I've heard nothing but good things about Gardiner so I wouldn't be terribly upset if the Habs took him. He seems like a high risk but potentially very high reward type of choice. I read that he's going to Wisconsin next year which has a pretty good program from what I understand. He'll likely get a lot of ice time on a Badgers team that is short of defensemen.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:38 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Purifying ourselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka? I'd rather not. Another Minnesota defenceman would continue a trend, but no way do I see us going that route 3 years in a freaking row.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
You mean if he falls drastically in the 2nd round? Someone would have to really like this kid to take him in the first round.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Draft picks after the first 5 or so seldom go as expected, especially since there's always the possibility of a trade up or down. There's never been a draft year when all 30 NHL teams selected players in the exact order they were rated, +/-↕2.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
I have plenty of confidence, though he might be considered as a project 'cause he moved from forward to d-men not so long ago, that he has everything you need to become better than the 3 you mentioned.

I wouldn't hate that a bit. I would love to see us using our prospects d-men like Weber or even Carle for something else though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
GNick42

i hope we make some noise at the draft, like trade up and add a #1 center. but i imagine we will be quiet as usual

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote