HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

give flames more credit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2004, 02:41 AM
  #51
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
I mean let's get real here, Flames fans. The only decent player on your team is the Goalie and Iginla. Calgary covers up for their lack of skill by playing hard and pounding the other team as much as they can.

It would be an upset of monumental proportions for them to win the cup - talent usually wins out in the end.
Yeah, Regehr was so bad he was named to Team Canada, and did make the list of top candidates for the All-Star game.

And what a piece of crap Leopold is, being named to the World Cup defending champion Team USA, and being the only defenseman under 30 on that team.

These guys suck and have no future. Good call, Colorado_Starsfan, good call.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 02:46 AM
  #52
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
To be devil's advocate, it could be argued that those Flames are getting selected because of a strong playoffs. Gretzky himself said that one of the criteria for selecting Team Canada was looking for a strong playoff or world championship tourny, so it's not impossible that the other GMs are doing the same.
This isn't to say that Calgary players would suck otherwise, but just that there's another side to the World Cup argument.
Regehr was on the list of candidates for the job.

Who would you take over Leopold for Team USA?

Kiprusoff made Team Finland and got his top job long before the playoffs.

And Niemenen? Considering they have guys like Jukka Hentunen on the team, I think his job was pretty safe there BEFORE the playoffs.

And Nilson? I think he made the team before even coming to Calgary. The guy was voted by fans as probably their most consistant forward, and besides Luongo, their MVP. Besides, look at the names on that roster... Jörgen Jönsson... Sami Pahlsson... ohh, scary.

The only guy IMO that probably wouldn't have made the World Cup without the playoffs is Regehr, which really is no slight to him considering the candidates.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 02:51 AM
  #53
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I can't believe how there are debates over the term "Cinderella". It's starting to get stupid. Calgary isn't a cinderella team and neither is TBay, period.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 02:57 AM
  #54
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Anybody who calls Tampa "Cinderella" is clueless. Period.

Anybody who calls Calgary "Cinderella" wasn't paying much attension, because alot of fans and hockey analysts outside of Calgary saw it.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 03:51 AM
  #55
slosharksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chico
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to slosharksfan
yea go calgary chiefs

"yea chouch go couch were ready couch

slosharksfan is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 12:35 PM
  #56
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Regehr was on the list of candidates for the job.

Who would you take over Leopold for Team USA?

Kiprusoff made Team Finland and got his top job long before the playoffs.
Sorry, I guess I should've worded that better. SOME of those Flames. Again, just presenting the other side.

Quote:
And Niemenen? Considering they have guys like Jukka Hentunen on the team, I think his job was pretty safe there BEFORE the playoffs.
Hey man, Jarkko Ruutu made the team, so I'm not surprised about Niemenen. Is Finland being run by Esa Tikkanen?

Quote:
And Nilson? I think he made the team before even coming to Calgary. The guy was voted by fans as probably their most consistant forward, and besides Luongo, their MVP. Besides, look at the names on that roster... Jörgen Jönsson... Sami Pahlsson... ohh, scary.
I think you're underestimating Sweden a tad. They've got a pretty strong top 6 and a badass defence core.

Quote:
The only guy IMO that probably wouldn't have made the World Cup without the playoffs is Regehr, which really is no slight to him considering the candidates.
No argument here. It was a toss-up after the returnees from Salt Lake (sans MacInnis), but Gretzky wanted guys on a hot streak so to speak. In any case, just saying that going by World Cup team selection doesn't imply uber-talent. Not to take anything away from those accomplishments though.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 01:23 PM
  #57
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
To be devil's advocate, it could be argued that those Flames are getting selected because of a strong playoffs. Gretzky himself said that one of the criteria for selecting Team Canada was looking for a strong playoff or world championship tourny, so it's not impossible that the other GMs are doing the same.
This isn't to say that Calgary players would suck otherwise, but just that there's another side to the World Cup argument.
Even so, do you think these players would be going if the national teams felt that the performance of these players is a fluke?

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
05-30-2004, 02:04 PM
  #58
sehnsucht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Quote:
but so is the remark that calgary just squeaked into the playoffs because they didn't.. they were consistently in the 5-7th position in the western conference all year and especially late in the season.. had several games gone different, calgary could have finished 4th (i was hoping they wouldn't solely for draft positioning)
don't bother telling people that didn't watch the flames during the season that, they keep ignoring it and pretending they won the last 4 games of the season to squeek past Edmonton from 9th into 6th.

sehnsucht is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 01:47 AM
  #59
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Even so, do you think these players would be going if the national teams felt that the performance of these players is a fluke?
Not fluke, just similar on the lines of a hot streak. I think that's the logic behind Gretzky's comments about his criteria for selection. And if they had an off year, yes I do believe some would be left off. Unless they're automatics, like Sundin for Sweden, Sakic for Canada and Modano for USA, off years can dampen your chances. See Paul Kariya.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 03:07 PM
  #60
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
I mean let's get real here, Flames fans. The only decent player on your team is the Goalie and Iginla. Calgary covers up for their lack of skill by playing hard and pounding the other team as much as they can.

It would be an upset of monumental proportions for them to win the cup - talent usually wins out in the end.
the best team wins the stanley cup.. not the team with the best players... its that simple

chriss_co is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
  #61
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
I guess there is one good thing about the blackhawks never making the stanley cup finals - we don't have the chance to make fools out of ourselves and our team like we've seen on these boards
good.. then in that case I won't mind seeing the hawks getting a top 10 pick for the next 5-7 years

sad to say cuz i admire brian sutter and the young prospects you have in your organization

i guess the only thing i can say for us Flame fans is that atleast we get the chance to make fools of ourselves this late in the year

chriss_co is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.