HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

give flames more credit

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 02:41 AM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
I mean let's get real here, Flames fans. The only decent player on your team is the Goalie and Iginla. Calgary covers up for their lack of skill by playing hard and pounding the other team as much as they can.

It would be an upset of monumental proportions for them to win the cup - talent usually wins out in the end.
Yeah, Regehr was so bad he was named to Team Canada, and did make the list of top candidates for the All-Star game.

And what a piece of crap Leopold is, being named to the World Cup defending champion Team USA, and being the only defenseman under 30 on that team.

These guys suck and have no future. Good call, Colorado_Starsfan, good call.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
To be devil's advocate, it could be argued that those Flames are getting selected because of a strong playoffs. Gretzky himself said that one of the criteria for selecting Team Canada was looking for a strong playoff or world championship tourny, so it's not impossible that the other GMs are doing the same.
This isn't to say that Calgary players would suck otherwise, but just that there's another side to the World Cup argument.
Regehr was on the list of candidates for the job.

Who would you take over Leopold for Team USA?

Kiprusoff made Team Finland and got his top job long before the playoffs.

And Niemenen? Considering they have guys like Jukka Hentunen on the team, I think his job was pretty safe there BEFORE the playoffs.

And Nilson? I think he made the team before even coming to Calgary. The guy was voted by fans as probably their most consistant forward, and besides Luongo, their MVP. Besides, look at the names on that roster... Jörgen Jönsson... Sami Pahlsson... ohh, scary.

The only guy IMO that probably wouldn't have made the World Cup without the playoffs is Regehr, which really is no slight to him considering the candidates.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:51 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I can't believe how there are debates over the term "Cinderella". It's starting to get stupid. Calgary isn't a cinderella team and neither is TBay, period.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:57 AM
Phanuthier*

Anybody who calls Tampa "Cinderella" is clueless. Period.

Anybody who calls Calgary "Cinderella" wasn't paying much attension, because alot of fans and hockey analysts outside of Calgary saw it.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:51 AM
slosharksfan

Send a message via AIM to slosharksfan
yea go calgary chiefs

"yea chouch go couch were ready couch

Old
05-30-2004, 12:35 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Regehr was on the list of candidates for the job.

Who would you take over Leopold for Team USA?

Kiprusoff made Team Finland and got his top job long before the playoffs.
Sorry, I guess I should've worded that better. SOME of those Flames. Again, just presenting the other side.

Quote:
And Niemenen? Considering they have guys like Jukka Hentunen on the team, I think his job was pretty safe there BEFORE the playoffs.
Hey man, Jarkko Ruutu made the team, so I'm not surprised about Niemenen. Is Finland being run by Esa Tikkanen?

Quote:
And Nilson? I think he made the team before even coming to Calgary. The guy was voted by fans as probably their most consistant forward, and besides Luongo, their MVP. Besides, look at the names on that roster... Jörgen Jönsson... Sami Pahlsson... ohh, scary.
I think you're underestimating Sweden a tad. They've got a pretty strong top 6 and a badass defence core.

Quote:
The only guy IMO that probably wouldn't have made the World Cup without the playoffs is Regehr, which really is no slight to him considering the candidates.
No argument here. It was a toss-up after the returnees from Salt Lake (sans MacInnis), but Gretzky wanted guys on a hot streak so to speak. In any case, just saying that going by World Cup team selection doesn't imply uber-talent. Not to take anything away from those accomplishments though.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
To be devil's advocate, it could be argued that those Flames are getting selected because of a strong playoffs. Gretzky himself said that one of the criteria for selecting Team Canada was looking for a strong playoff or world championship tourny, so it's not impossible that the other GMs are doing the same.
This isn't to say that Calgary players would suck otherwise, but just that there's another side to the World Cup argument.
Even so, do you think these players would be going if the national teams felt that the performance of these players is a fluke?

Old
05-30-2004, 02:04 PM
sehnsucht

Quote:
but so is the remark that calgary just squeaked into the playoffs because they didn't.. they were consistently in the 5-7th position in the western conference all year and especially late in the season.. had several games gone different, calgary could have finished 4th (i was hoping they wouldn't solely for draft positioning)
don't bother telling people that didn't watch the flames during the season that, they keep ignoring it and pretending they won the last 4 games of the season to squeek past Edmonton from 9th into 6th.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:47 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Even so, do you think these players would be going if the national teams felt that the performance of these players is a fluke?
Not fluke, just similar on the lines of a hot streak. I think that's the logic behind Gretzky's comments about his criteria for selection. And if they had an off year, yes I do believe some would be left off. Unless they're automatics, like Sundin for Sweden, Sakic for Canada and Modano for USA, off years can dampen your chances. See Paul Kariya.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:07 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
I mean let's get real here, Flames fans. The only decent player on your team is the Goalie and Iginla. Calgary covers up for their lack of skill by playing hard and pounding the other team as much as they can.

It would be an upset of monumental proportions for them to win the cup - talent usually wins out in the end.
the best team wins the stanley cup.. not the team with the best players... its that simple

Old
05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
I guess there is one good thing about the blackhawks never making the stanley cup finals - we don't have the chance to make fools out of ourselves and our team like we've seen on these boards
good.. then in that case I won't mind seeing the hawks getting a top 10 pick for the next 5-7 years

sad to say cuz i admire brian sutter and the young prospects you have in your organization

i guess the only thing i can say for us Flame fans is that atleast we get the chance to make fools of ourselves this late in the year

Closed Thread