HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Don't read too much into Gainey's "looking at several quebecers" response. He's playing the PR game and nothing more.
Well I do think they are interested in Deschamps, Maxime Sauvé and Dannick Paquette...three Quebec possibilities is a huge number for our first pick!

Old
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Well I do think they are interested in Deschamps, Maxime Sauvé and Dannick Paquette...three Quebec possibilities is a huge number for our first pick!
Sauve and Paquette in the first round and I will freak out. They are not first round talents.

Old
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
more i think about it, Nicolas deschamps is just making too much sense to montreal

-great work ethic
-versatile (can play center/lw)
-good size (6-1 185lbs)
-local kid ()
-two-way players (like the habs like them)

some people are saying he will be gone before 25th (not too sure about it to be honest) but thats probably why gainey/timmins are trying to move up in the draft. but sometime the players fell in the draft for some weird reason (mcdonagh and pacioretty were both top10 on timmins list and we've got them with the 12th and 22th pick)
Well if he's selected before our pick, and one or two goaltenders are taken before us, one or two really interesting players will be available for us. Can't wait!

Old
06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Sauve and Paquette in the first round and I will freak out. They are not first round talents.
I agree, but if we do select them, I wouldn't really be that mad. I think they'll both make it to the NHL level, and they'll both be valuable. But yeah, there will be better options at that point, that's for sure.

Old
06-19-2008, 11:40 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Don't read too much into Gainey's "looking at several quebecers" response. He's playing the PR game and nothing more.
Keep telling yourself that Swede lover

Old
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Keep telling yourself that Swede lover
In my final list, I don't think I had us selecting one swede.

It was mostly americans.. Downing, Jokinen and Larson.

Although Larson does have a swedish last name.

But, they truly aren't first round talents aside from Deschamps who is the player I want us to get at 25 and if not available then I won't Anton Gustafsson.

Old
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
le_sean

Quote:
In my final list, I don't think I had us selecting one swede.

It was mostly americans.. Downing, Jokinen and Larson.

Although Larson does have a swedish last name.

But, they truly aren't first round talents aside from Deschamps who is the player I want us to get at 25 and if not available then I won't Anton Gustafsson.
Just saying it because you raved about the Swedes in the previous thread.

I thnik Deschamps too if they don't move up. People don't like comparisons but to think his career is not similar to Bergeron's career is crazy.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Marc-E-

I think Montreal will draft Greg Nemisz

Old
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
if that happen i would be really not a fan of nemisz

Old
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
I hope not! He can't skate

Old
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Cormier is not a Quebecer.
mia culpa...I actually knew that too. You can stop shaking your head now.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I just can't see Gainey doing that. To me he's a straight shooter all the way. I don't see why he needs to BS anyone. The Habs are said to be interested in Deschamps/M.Sauve plus others from the Q.

Personally I don't think it's a great year for the Q but I trust Timmins. I do like M.Sauve, Deschamps and to a lesser extent Paquette plus Delmas or Allen would be a good pickup imo as we need goalies in the pipeline.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I just can't see Gainey doing that. To me he's a straight shooter all the way. I don't see why he needs to BS anyone. The Habs are said to be interested in Deschamps/M.Sauve plus others from the Q.

Personally I don't think it's a great year for the Q but I trust Timmins. I do like M.Sauve, Deschamps and to a lesser extent Paquette plus Delmas or Allen would be a good pickup imo as we need goalies in the pipeline.
I just hope it's M Sauve and not Y. Sauve he's interested in!

And while BG is a straight shooter, I don't think he'd be BS'ing when he says they are interested in several Quebecers. But they may very well pick someone else who they are also interested in. If anything BG is less likely to tip his hand. Everyone thought they would move up for Espo last year based on some of his comments. In fact it was McDonough they were after.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Fozz

Why don't you guys just ask Timmins?

Old
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Nemisz doesn't skate that bad. Jesus! People see 'skating concerns' and they think he's got a piano tied to his back. He's lazy and opportunistic, that doesn't mean he can't keep up with NHLers in 2 years.

Beach has been noted as a poor skater, everyone seems to want that guy.

For that matter, pretty much anyone that doesn't have NHL speed right now is assumed to be a 'poor skater' in this draft.

If the Habs draft Nemisz it's because they see a lot of potential in his game and project him to be a great 2nd line winger. I'd like to think Timmins is competent enough to assess the guy's skating and mental attributes well enough to project what kind of NHLer he can become.

That's what drafting is all about: projection. You don't presume a kid like Ennis will always be a 160lb weakling with poor balance, you project him to being a man with a small, muscular build and strong legs. You also don't project Nemisz to be a soft anchor on skates just because you saw him play like that once as an 18 year old.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 06-19-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old
06-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
He's soft as a butter...

Old
06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Fozz

I wouldn't mind Nemisz at all. He might be this year's Getzlaf

Old
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
He's soft as a butter...
Soft as butter? Where the heck did you get that? Sure, he isn't a banger or a fighter but he's the type of player that goes to the net and takes a beating, just to put in a rebound. I don't call that soft as butter.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Here's my 2 cents on who Timmins could be interrested in.

First I have to say that if mtl move up into the draft it would be to get Colin Wilson.

A big centerman who can play well in his own end, have a good forecheck and playmaking abilities. He's also pretty smart and has an athlete genetic. He could become a solid second line center or a good first line playing with talented winger.

I know we don't have much chance of getting him but well if we'd be drafting into the top 10 he would be definetly my guy.

Here's some other guy that wherever we pick hem I'd be happy :

Nicolas Deschamps
Being from Chicoutimi, I watched him play last year and I've seen the guy getting better and better has the season went on. A great two way center with good upside. He would be a steal in the middle of the second round but at 25, I just don't know. He's good at everything but has nothing spectacular. Well the reports said the samething about Iginla so that's why I would still take a chance on him in the first.

Corey Trivino
I don't know his size and his style of play reminds me of Ben Maxwell so for only that I would consider him as a Trevor Timmins option.

Danny Kristo
He is a great skater and he's american. With one more year in the USHL he has plenty of time to developp and become a threat in the offensive zone and a go to guy in his own end.

Aaron Ness
From Minnesota, winner of the Mr. Hockey award, a great puck moving D who's fast and thinks well the game. He's the type of player TT likes.

Others I like

Jake Allen
Kirill Petrov
Jamie Arniel
Justin Shultz
Jimmy Hayes
James Livingston
Danick Paquette
Justin Jokinen

Old
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
He's soft as a butter...
There's a difference between lazy and soft.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyven View Post
Here's my 2 cents on who Timmins could be interrested in.

First I have to say that if mtl move up into the draft it would be to get Colin Wilson.

A big centerman who can play well in his own end, have a good forecheck and playmaking abilities. He's also pretty smart and has an athlete genetic. He could become a solid second line center or a good first line playing with talented winger.

I know we don't have much chance of getting him but well if we'd be drafting into the top 10 he would be definetly my guy.

Others I like

Jake Allen
Kirill Petrov
Jamie Arniel
Justin Shultz
Jimmy Hayes
James Livingston
Danick Paquette
Justin Jokinen
We trade draft picks and/or assets just to draft a 2nd line center to compete with Maxwell in a few years? I don't see the point in that. Might as well trade up for a potential superstar or keep the 25th and hope for someone as good as Wilson.

Arniel might/should be a ND and Petrov should go to a team like Phoenix that has a ton of 2nd rounders to waste on a guy that may never come to NA.

It's likely we'll be drafting one of Hayes or Jokinen...

Old
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Le depisteur

"Habs also have interest in Thrashers pick...(e3)"
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15746

Old
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Why don't you guys just ask Timmins?
Who's to say I haven't.

Last year I was told months before the draft that the Habs were high on McDonagh, I did a mock draft article where I put us picking him and even used a pic of McDo for the article.

I was given some names for this years draft from TDG, I haven't said which ones I was told Timmins is said to be interested in, but I did use most of those names in the mock draft article I did on my site for this years draft. Others though have posted things from TDG, which I assume he's ok with someone doing.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
We trade draft picks and/or assets just to draft a 2nd line center to compete with Maxwell in a few years? I don't see the point in that. Might as well trade up for a potential superstar or keep the 25th and hope for someone as good as Wilson.

Arniel might/should be a ND and Petrov should go to a team like Phoenix that has a ton of 2nd rounders to waste on a guy that may never come to NA.

It's likely we'll be drafting one of Hayes or Jokinen...
I think that Wilson is a similiar choice of McDonagh last year. A sure NHL player. Well rounded and physically ready.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Nemisz doesn't skate that bad. Jesus! People see 'skating concerns' and they think he's got a piano tied to his back. He's lazy and opportunistic, that doesn't mean he can't keep up with NHLers in 2 years.

Beach has been noted as a poor skater, everyone seems to want that guy.

For that matter, pretty much anyone that doesn't have NHL speed right now is assumed to be a 'poor skater' in this draft.

If the Habs draft Nemisz it's because they see a lot of potential in his game and project him to be a great 2nd line winger. I'd like to think Timmins is competent enough to assess the guy's skating and mental attributes well enough to project what kind of NHLer he can become.

That's what drafting is all about: projection. You don't presume a kid like Ennis will always be a 160lb weakling with poor balance, you project him to being a man with a small, muscular build and strong legs. You also don't project Nemisz to be a soft anchor on skates just because you saw him play like that once as an 18 year old.
He's lazy. Not very good skater. Two no draft markings, big no draft markings in Timmin's books.

Closed Thread