HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

S. Weiss

Old
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
S. Weiss

I was just looking at point totals of the Panthers and saw Weiss's point production was down from the 06-07 season. Both seasons he played the same amount of games, 74 but his point production was down from 48 to 42.

2006-2007 GP 74 G: 20 A: 28 P:48

2007-2008 GP 74 G: 13 A: 29 P:42

Point production was down 6 points.. for what it's worth his +/- rating went up tremendously because of the success of the Booth-Weiss-Horton line. a plus 14 to end the 07/08 season as opposed to his -1 in 06/07.

I guess what I'm saying is was kind of surprised to see that he had less points this season. Especially with the success of the 2nd line. I've always liked Weiss tremendously, and I'm hoping he breaks 50 next season, and I'm hoping he will really break out under a coach he really enjoys.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
I was just looking at point totals of the Panthers and saw Weiss's point production was down from the 06-07 season. Both seasons he played the same amount of games, 74 but his point production was down from 48 to 42.

Point production was down 6 points.. for what it's worth his +/- rating went up tremendously because of the success of the Booth-Weiss-Horton line. a plus 14 to end the 07/08 season as opposed to his -1 in 06/07.

I guess what I'm saying is was kind of surprised to see that he had less points this season. Especially with the success of the 2nd line. I've always liked Weiss tremendously, and I'm hoping he breaks 50 next season, and I'm hoping he will really break out under a coach he really enjoys.
For what it's worth, the number of things he brings to the table during a game usually makes me think he's producing offensively more than he really is. He generally around plays when they happen, whether he gets a point on them or not. He's a very valuable member of our team but I think he's really got to step up the offensive production this year, especially if we trade Olli. Weiss should be able to get between 50-60 points if he stays healthy. He's a great player and I hope he reaches his ceiling but we'll see.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Yeah, he can thank his performance in the first few weeks of the season where he was a complete ghost for that. Otherwise, he probably would have hit 50. I agree, hopefully playing for a coach he adores will spark him to crack the half century mark.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
For what it's worth, the number of things he brings to the table during a game usually makes me think he's producing offensively more than he really is. He generally around plays when they happen, whether he gets a point on them or not. He's a very valuable member of our team but I think he's really got to step up the offensive production this year, especially if we trade Olli. Weiss should be able to get between 50-60 points if he stays healthy. He's a great player and I hope he reaches his ceiling but we'll see.
I do agree that he is usually the main reason why the offense starts when he's on the ice, but it seems like he doesn't get the points he should for the work he does. Don't you think that points sometimes just do not tell the full story?

Sometimes I think it's a terrible way to judge a player.

Old
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
I do agree that he is usually the main reason why the offense starts when he's on the ice, but it seems like he doesn't get the points he should for the work he does. Don't you think that points sometimes just do not tell the full story?

I agree. He's worth MUCH more than his point totals indicate for us. He's more valuable to our team than everyone but Vokoun, Jokinen (on his good days) and Bouwmeester. An argument could be made for Horton but Weiss is more consistent and if Weiss is hot, Horton will produce.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

That's what I've been saying for the last few weeks. Just because someone has more points than another player does not make them "better". You could be a soft, useless defensive player and contribute to many GA on your team, and score 50-60 pts. Personally, I'll take a 40 pt. player who also contributes in a lot of other ways.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
That's what I've been saying for the last few weeks. Just because someone has more points than another player does not make them "better". You could be a soft, useless defensive player and contribute to many GA on your team, and score 50-60 pts. Personally, I'll take a 40 pt. player who also contributes in a lot of other ways.
Yeah, IMO he is our best defensive forward too. I remember shortly after we went on that winning streak in March he went down for a few games and it was like we fell apart defensively without him on the ice. It was very noticeable how much different they played without him there.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

Players need to be judged based on their role with the team. Weiss is a two-way center, but also a top-6 forward and is more of a playmaker than goalscorer. To judge him you need to look at his points, assists, +/-, and faceoff %. If he's achieving decent numbers in all categories, he's an A+. If he's doing well in +/- and faceoff %, but is just okay in points (as he's been) he's still an A-. If he lags in the defensive aspects, he's not filling his role well, nor is he if he has a substandard number of points since he's still on a scoring line.

06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Well said. Dan Boyle comes to mind as a player who puts up a lot of points but is actually a detriment to a team.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Do you guys think that if we do trade Olli, that Weiss will be able to handle the load without him around? (depending on if we get a winger, and not a center in return) (if he's even traded, lol)

Old
06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Do you guys think that if we do trade Olli, that Weiss will be able to handle the load without him around? (depending on if we get a winger, and not a center in return) (if he's even traded, lol)
No, I don't think Weiss can handle the legitimate #1 center role. Sure he might be line 1 here on our anemic offense, but I think he's a great second line center who can fill in first line but idk. When I think about it, how often have Olli and Weiss played together? Of all the guys on our team that could dish to Olli, Weiss would be #1 IMO.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
No, I don't think Weiss can handle the legitimate #1 center role. Sure he might be line 1 here on our anemic offense, but I think he's a great second line center who can fill in first line but idk. When I think about it, how often have Olli and Weiss played together? Of all the guys on our team that could dish to Olli, Weiss would be #1 IMO.
Booth-Weiss-Horton was basically our first line, they played more min than any line did at the end of the season. I think he can handle it, captaincy I don't know if he can handle it YET, but soon.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Horton is the only guy at that line who might be worthy of first line minutes. If we get a true play-making center BWH will be broken up. For now I wouldn't break up the line unless we trade Bouw for some legit first line player(s)

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

If the BWH line is the "first line", it means the team will be rolling three scoring lines without a true first line. Weiss is not a first line center. He is not ready to be captain either.

If Jokinen is traded, expect a new captain to be brought in via FA (or no captain at all).

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
I don't see Weiss stepping into the 1st line center role full time. Maybe down the road, but not this year.

He's got excellent vision and plays smart, but he's not 1st line material yet IMO. At least not on a consistent basis, night in and night out.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote