HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

Old
06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
To what degree? Suppose Congress passes a law that you may not do anything if your house gets burglarized and you suffer damages. Does that mean from now on it'll be happy hour for thieves?

There's a point where bad rules need to be brought out to the light and contested, what the NHL are doing over this website argument is ridiculous and ethically questionable.
That's not a fair comparison. As a monopoly, the league is allowed to impose any rules it sees fit to ensure the competiveness and fiscal health of the league. Look at the NFL and all it's crappy little rules about what players can wear, what sponsors teams can have, etc.

In fact, the NHL has already imposed numerous "unfair" rules on the teams, such as a rule that all teams MUST fly private charters, even if there are cheaper (unlikely) options.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Levitate

^^^^^ I don't think it's exactly a "legal monopoly". The league can do all that crap because the board of governors gave them permission to do so. If all of the owners turned around and said "no, we don't want the league to handle any of the marketing" that would be that and the league would have to shut the **** up.

And there are certain rights that can't be taken away by contracts and things like that, but I don't know if this is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to scoff at this, it could have serious repercussions for the Rangers. Maybe not revoking the franchise (how psyched would we be if that happened, no more Dolans!) but I could see serious fiscal penalties, loss of draft picks, and more.
I don't think they can fine them draft picks. The issue isn't the Rangers as a team, but the company that owns the team.

The Rangers have absolutely nothing to do with this, so they won't get fined or have draft picks taken away. It's the ownership that will get fined

Quote:
I think the league would very quickly turn around and find a buyer for the team, maybe at a cut rate. But, yes, it would seriously harm the team.
Yes, it'd be a pretty terrible idea for the league to do that. It'd create a terrible situation over where they'd play (why would Dolan or MSG then give any kind of reasonable lease to the Rangers if they just had the team taken from them?), and if the NHL even thought of moving the Rangers out of NYC it'd be an even bigger mistake. Tons of league revenue down the drain and the huge black eye of moving an original six franchise with one of the highest revenues in the league, all over a website disagreement.

It's seriously not going to happen. They might fine MSG

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:08 AM
ThirdEye

Were is this all over the website? I can't find it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

It would be like a 7-11 store wanting to sell ... I don't know Tim Hortons coffee out of the store and 7-11 corporate office telling them no and so the store sues the head office.

The NHL is a corporation and it has rules stating that its franchises conform so there is some uniformity and that the teams can't just start putting advertizing on their team jersey's or doing whatever they wish their team website.

MSG signs on with the rules already known and if they violate those rules, the BOG are gonna have to lay the smackdown.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Were is this all over the website? I can't find it
The original website fight?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...msg-suit_N.htm

Basically MSG lost that lawsuit, and now the league is threatening them because they even filed the lawsuit

Old
06-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
It would be like a 7-11 store wanting to sell ... I don't know Tim Hortons coffee out of the store and 7-11 corporate office telling them no and so the store sues the head office.
Not really, no.

Quote:
The NHL is a corporation and it has rules stating that its franchises conform so there is some uniformity and that the teams can't just start putting advertizing on their team jersey's or doing whatever they wish their team website.

MSG signs on with the rules already known and if they violate those rules, the BOG are gonna have to lay the smackdown.
I think MSG's problem was that for a long time the league let teams do their own thing or worked with them in marketing, etc. The Rangers put a lot of money into their website and their exclusive merchandise and information on the website. Then the league says "nah I think we want to make you conform to this crappy website".

Honestly it's retarded situation on both sides. You're right that the NHL has the control to make teams do that, as evidenced by the court ruling. So fine, MSG made their attempt to keep the status quo and it failed, and they probably made too much of a fuss about it.

Now the league pulling a ***** move like this is just as retarted

Old
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue21 View Post
In my opinion, nothing of note is going to happen.

Bettman feels the need to flex the league's muscle, but is he really going to penalize the hockey side of things for the Rangers as punishment for bringing a suit?

A fine, administrative sanctions, ok. This is not spygate, in-game issues, or tampering with FA's. It is over a suit regarding the team's website. No way the league handicapps the Rangers on the hockey side.
I agree 100%. There is no way that this should have ANY impact on the hockey part of things. There was no cheating involved.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
WFAN just reported that all Ranger games next year will not be locally televised if MSG lost the ownership. They said the only games fans can watch are the NBC and Versus telecasts.

06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
segmentation fault

Just when the NHL is starting to make a comeback they want to ruin the hell out of it? Really? Are they serious?

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
WFAN just reported that all Ranger games next year will not be locally televised if MSG lost the ownership. They said the only games fans can watch are the NBC and Versus telecasts.
Talk about sensationalism on WFANs part.

It will never get that point. But it looks like Dolan's got the FAN in his pocket, if they're trying to stir fans up in this manner.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Smashley

Just flexing their muscle. If you have the nerve to sue the league god help you.

Just like if you have the nerve to say anything negative about the league or its officiating.

I was watching an '82 John McEnroe match yesterday and was surprised how much freedom he had to run his mouth vs hockey today. (did he ever get fined very often though? I have no idea)

No Surprise from the Iron Fist.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
NYR Viper

hey all, look at the bright side.....if the league were to own the rangers, and we all know since the pens were having financial problems and the league wanted them to get better they were able to get crosby, malkin, staal, fleury etc...just imagine what the league would do for the rangers if they owned them

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
eco's bones

Well we've always known that the Dolan's and Bettman and most of the other team owners are ********. It's all stupidity as far as I'm concerned--that the NHL feels the need to impose changing team websites just so as to force on them a 'marketing strategy'. Typical corporation b.s.--we know better than our target audience what it is they want. People have to stop taking their stupid polls. As for the Dolan's--they turned a Stanley Cup team into a loser in 3 seasons--they cut off any in house critique of their product at the knees as soon as they bought the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
this is ridiculous....

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
wahhh nhl wahhhh, get over it
No, it should be go NHL go. We could potentially get a real owner now! Our games will always be on guys. SNY or somebody will pick them up

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
No, it should be go NHL go. We could potentially get a real owner now! Our games will always be on guys. SNY or somebody will pick them up
SNY would LOVE to have the Rangers!

Old
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
I would like to have Scott Ferrall commentate the Ranger games.

But thats besides the point. There will still be the problem of Jim holding a grudge and not letting the NHL have the Rangers play in MSG. AND if he does, the cost will be insane and the NHL will pass it along to the fan. Ticket prices would soar. I bet the Rangers would become like the Giants (play in New Jersey) and go to the IZOD center which would SUCK.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
GilliesGirlie

Wow, I'm surprised the NHL is taking it this far. I assumed the case over the website was water under the bridge, I'd hate to see this go any further.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
squishy

Quote:
That assumes there's not a contract between the "NY Rangers" and "MSG Network" that grants MSG the broadcast rights for the next x number of years...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Not here to cause any trouble but hey, look at the bright side:

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Can the NHL be this stupid?

Back off, let it go.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
That assumes there's not a contract between the "NY Rangers" and "MSG Network" that grants MSG the broadcast rights for the next x number of years...
You're also assuming that the contract would remain binding if this "nuclear" option were invoked.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Does a public court of law have the jurisdiction to hear a case regarding the "constitution" of a privately held sports league. Is this "constitution" a legal document?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I really don't think you want this...

Old
06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
the NHL running a team? you really want the NHL to run your team? it is a disaster waiting to happen. They can barely run a league competently....how do u think they are going to do with the New York Rangers?