HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We don't need a big UFA

Old
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Habs12max

vCash: 500
We don't need a big UFA

I think that most of you are exagerating the needs of a big UFA. At defense, we are really solid with Markov, Hamrlik , Komisarek, O'Byrne, Gorges and Valatenko. At foward, we are also really solid with Kovalev, Koivu, Pekanec, Kostitsyn and kostitsyn, Latendresse and maybe Perezhogin? Don't you think that we are already ok?

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
I think that most of you are exagerating the needs of a big UFA. At defense, we are really solid with Markov, Hamrlik , Komisarek, O'Byrne, Gorges and Valatenko. At foward, we are also really solid with Kovalev, Koivu, Pekanec, Kostitsyn and kostitsyn, Latendresse and maybe Perezhogin? Don't you think that we are already ok?
We still need a top 6 winger with some grit and a nose for the net (or a grittier version of Ryder if you prefer) and a legitimate #4 D with some experience just in case OB or Gorges don't perform as expected in the role.

Some may disagree though but personally that's what i think.

Bronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

We got tons of cap space, if we can improve our team why shouldn't we? Sure if we don't add a big UFA we will still be competitive but another top offensive player for our top 2 lines will just make us that much better.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
We still need a top 6 winger with some grit and a nose for the net (or a grittier version of Ryder if you prefer)
Exactly. We need a garbage goal scorer. We may have been the highest scoring team in the regular season, but they were all pretty goals. As soon as the opposing team clogs up the passing zones, our perimeter game crumbles. As seen by the fall of our PP by the end of the season. We need a bigger body to crash the net and bang home some ugly ones. Lats is supposed to take on this role some day, though he's not ready yet.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Exactly. We need a garbage goal scorer. We may have been the highest scoring team in the regular season, but they were all pretty goals. As soon as the opposing team clogs up the passing zones, our perimeter game crumbles. As seen by the fall of our PP by the end of the season. We need a bigger body to crash the net and bang home some ugly ones. Lats is supposed to take on this role some day, though he's not ready yet.
Why is Lats not ready? Give him 2nd line ice and PP time and he'll pot 30.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I really like Lats but he is not willing to park himself in front of the net and bang in rebounds, yet. Carbo should show him a video of Holmstrom in the playoffs and say do this. Gui is huge and tough to move, he has to pick up a meanstreak though. I'm confident he will figure this out though.

Sundin would be the best UFA for us imo, would just give us so many options.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I really like Lats but he is not willing to park himself in front of the net and bang in rebounds, yet. Carbo should show him a video of Holmstrom in the playoffs and say do this. Gui is huge and tough to move, he has to pick up a meanstreak though. I'm confident he will figure this out though.
Actually, even if Gui were willing to go to the net (and I think he is), he is not employed with linemates that would allow this strategy to be successful. The guys he played with are experts at not having the puck and getting stuck in the defensive zone, and it's pointless for Latendresse to try to set up in front of the net if his team doesn't have the puck.

The main reason Latendresse can't be effective as a screener is because he typically has the best puck skills on his line.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post

Sundin would be the best UFA for us imo, would just give us so many options.
What a ridiculous statement. Where do you think he scored his 16 goals?

Holmstrom has Dasyuk and Zetterberg feeding him and PP time.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
So the way the Habs played against the Flyers was proof that the Habs don't need an upgrade at any position? OK, if that's what you think ...

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Actually, even if Gui were willing to go to the net (and I think he is), he is not employed with linemates that would allow this strategy to be successful. The guys he played with are experts at not having the puck and getting stuck in the defensive zone, and it's pointless for Latendresse to try to set up in front of the net if his team doesn't have the puck.

The main reason Latendresse can't be effective as a screener is because he typically has the best puck skills on his line.
Agreed 100%

Old
06-19-2008, 12:39 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So the way the Habs played against the Flyers was proof that the Habs don't need an upgrade at any position? OK, if that's what you think ...
+99999

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
to be honest I THINK that Gainey is understanding something... if you dont move nothing will happen, ence the rumours of him trying hard to move up or aquire a key player.. and its normal.. its make sense.. unless you are already have a superstar you most likely will not get to the next level.. he Saw the pens get Hossa, i think he will try whatever he does to get something to open the eyes widers to those infamous hockey gods.. he needs to make a flash.. because this team needs a boost.. forget it, no stanley cup with the current team. yes we have solid team but the veterans are getting really olders and well play less and less a big role.. thats why we needed Hossa, but now we problably wont because Pitt will do anything to keep him.. logically.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
MathMan

I think the Habs actually badly need a big UFA or they will find themselves a bubble team again. Consider:

Ottawa aren't likely to suck as badly next year. They will rebound, and they will be scary if they can find a capable goaltender. Their scoring remains extremely strong and if they find a coach that makes them play defense they will be a conference contender again.

Buffalo underachieved, mostly through bad luck. Their standings are not in line with their goal differential and they are, on paper, at least a playoff team. Losing Campbell will really hurt, but they still have strong goaltending and are very dangerous.

Boston, as we've seen in the playoffs, are criminally underrated already*. Now they will have Bergeron back and are believed prepared to make a huge offer for Hossa. They have good goaltending. They will be a very strong team, especially if they can add another good defenseman.

The Northeast will not be a pleasant place to play hockey in. It's a good thing Toronto looks like it will rebuild (though I'll believe that when I see it) and they will play each other less, because the top four teams in the division

Add to that that we may not see the same everything-going-right season from the Habs -- there may be injuries, Kovalev may take a small step back, and so on -- and it's very likely that if the Habs do not upgrade their roster, they will find themselves in the 5-6 spot, if not lower.

*: Though this pimping of Lucic has to stop. His 8 goals somehow make him the next Cam Neely -- compare with Latendresse, who apparently is a bust these days.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Goaltending sank us, but the belief is that Price will be much better now that he has experience under his belt...the team in general gained much needed experience.

That being said, a Sundin, Selanne or whoever would be great as long as it's not a bad contract.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

"Need" is dependent on your expectations. And on fate and the will of the fickle hockey gods, of course (but you can't do anything about them). So if your expectations are high, we "need" a big UFA.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Magic33

its great to say that we're set at most positions with the guys we have drafted, but the fact of the matter is that, in order to bring your team to the next level, you need to pick up players from others teams, whether that be a 4th liner or a first liner. We didnt win the stanley cup this year, which means there were teams better then we were. Thus, we need to improve our team in any way possible. Saying we dont need to sign any UFA's is ridiculous. there are always ways of improving your squad, and those ways must be looked at. Plus, we have the cap room, so why not go out and grab someone that will improve our team?

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I think Andrew Brunette would be perfect here, he won't cost TOO much and he's pretty sick around the front of the net (tipping shots and getting garbage goals). Colorado is reportedly letting him test the market and I might add he was without a doubt Colorado's best player during the playoffs.

Old
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I think Andrew Brunette would be perfect here, he won't cost TOO much and he's pretty sick around the front of the net (tipping shots and getting garbage goals). Colorado is reportedly letting him test the market and I might add he was without a doubt Colorado's best player during the playoffs.
agreed, i'd love to see him here, if not mistaken i think he put up 80 something points a year ago (only 50 something this year though).

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
agreed, i'd love to see him here, if not mistaken i think he put up 80 something points a year ago (only 50 something this year though).
59 this year, still pretty good since he got less ice time with the arrival of Smyth.

17 points in 19 games in his last 2 playoffs are the stats which make him more appealing to me.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What a ridiculous statement. Where do you think he scored his 16 goals?

Holmstrom has Dasyuk and Zetterberg feeding him and PP time.
They weren't all from standing in front of the net, I bet he could have scored 10 more if he got his nose a little more dirty. We really needed a guy to take some punishment in front of Biron, screen him, get dirty, all I am saying is Lats has the build and the strength to be that guy for us. His puck skills and hand eye co-ordination only benefit him in front of the net, he reminds me of Andreychuk.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

We need one big UFA....a first line winger like Hossa or Demitra

But we don't need anymore Kostopolos, Smolinski, Brisebois, Dandenault etc.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Brunette would be a great pick-up. Selanne and Sundin would be ideal. Hossa I am not yet sold on, great player but I could see him struggling after the huge contract. We don't need UFA's to be competitive but I think we could use 1 to be a true contender.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
At foward, we are also really solid with Kovalev, Koivu, Pekanec, Kostitsyn and kostitsyn, Latendresse and maybe Perezhogin?
Your not allowed to speak his name around these parts, just bringing up his name will encite the HF masses to explode and tell you to stop bringing up his name since his nhl future is done and he can't possibily come back to the nhl down the road after going back to Russia like some others have. ( for those who can't detect sarcasm)

Quote:
Not really sure what happened in that series, as Price fell apart. My guess is that the team mistakenly tried to play boston's style in the first round and while they did a good job of it, if not for games 1 and 7 I don't think they would have made it past them. Perhaps the physical aspects of round 1 took it's toll in round 2. Either way the Habs should have beaten pilly imo, but the team just couldn't get on track the entire series.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Kaptain Bégin

We talk about signing UFA for 2 reasons:
1-We don't won the Stanley cup this year, and none since 1993.
2-We like to talk about hockey and Habs. I don't want to talk about the Sens and their future goalthander or something like that. We want to win and win now. So, we want some UFA. Like 110% like to talk bout how much they want Koivu out. Talking about that don't make it happen or a good idea. I'm happy it's Bob decision and not somebody from the boards or from the media.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
this.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote