HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

Old
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241126&l...s=topStory_nhl

TSN also has it as it's leading story. Pretty weird in general, and I simply cannot see the league booting out an ownership group. Would send a pretty strong, but mixed message.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
frozenrubber

There is absolutely nothing to this beyond a really personal and stupid reprisal.

In the end, MSG will be fined for "disobeying" and this is to put all other owners on notice, the NHL way or else!

Gary Bettman has always bandied the word partnership around, but the NHL and him only want partners when everyone else capitulates to their demands. An owner/franchise broke rank and now Gary is making sure that they know who's boss and no one tries again in the future.

So everyone needs to relax...nothing will become of this.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Berg

good bye Rangers...it was nice knowing ya

maybe the leafs would end up with King Henrik...nice!

just kidding....but seriously, this is kind of like if the owner of a local Mcdonald's sued Micki D's corp for not letting them have control over the commercials for their respective restaurant. It is just silly!

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
There is absolutely nothing to this beyond a really personal and stupid reprisal.

In the end, MSG will be fined for "disobeying" and this is to put all other owners on notice, the NHL way or else!

Gary Bettman has always bandied the word partnership around, but the NHL and him only want partners when everyone else capitulates to their demands. An owner/franchise broke rank and now Gary is making sure that they know who's boss and no one tries again in the future.

Pretty much. PR would be a nightmare if the NHL actually booted MSG over website scuffle.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dellapina says that the NHL would force the Dolans to sell the team to another party, not take control.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:40 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:

yea but Dolan is a big baby and he isn't going to let this go which means it will go much farther than it should.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
DontStepanMe

imagine MSG loses the Rangers, and Bettman gives the franchise to Ballsilie...we could end up the the Hamilton Rangers and whole lot more people who hate the NHL.

but in seriousness... nothing will happen except maybe a fine. The Rangers are too important to the league such as Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, for them to completely screw them and their fans over.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
imagine MSG loses the Rangers, and Bettman gives the franchise to Ballsilie...we could end up the the Hamilton Rangers and whole lot more people who hate the NHL.

but in seriousness... nothing will happen except maybe a fine. The Rangers are too important to the league such as Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, for them to completely screw them and their fans over.
Bettman wouldn't sell one of the most important franchises to Ballsilie if he won't sell the Predators or Penguins.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Bettman is a piece of ****....I've always hated him....hopefully someone pushes him in front of the 4 train.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
yea but Dolan is a big baby and he isn't going to let this go which means it will go much farther than it should.
Sit back and enjoy. If you're a Bettman hater, then watch Dolan go after him. And if you're a Dolan basher, watch Bettman try to make an example out of him.

This will be wonderful theater. The NHL will never use the nuclear option so this should be some great posturing and bruised egos.

Personally, I would love Dolan to attack Bettman so he would have to say ANYTHING of substance. Bettman is a lawyer first. If you ever listen to any of his interviews, he says little to nothing of substance. Always hides behind the notion that he serves at the pleasure of the BOG. About time an owner makes Bettman address the NHL's HQ influence (or lack thereof according to Bettman).

But you're spot on, Dolan made an ass out of himself over the Knicks harassment suit and he has never backed away from a fight. There will be no repercussions for us as fans, so Jimmy is our out of control 3 year old. This will be fun!

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Bettman wouldn't sell one of the most important franchises to Ballsilie if he won't sell the Predators or Penguins.
And it'd probably be the worst decision in the history of the league to allow an original 6 franchise to be moved

The sports world in general may not care much for hockey, but they'd be all over the league for a stunt like that, and in this case, they'd have a point

Old
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Does a public court of law have the jurisdiction to hear a case regarding the "constitution" of a privately held sports league. Is this "constitution" a legal document?
Well, how come the league can take this issue to court over the constitution but the Rangers can't take the same recourse with an issue over the constitution?

Come to think of it, the Rangers tried to establish the league was abusing it's powers in a way that are deemed illegal by antitrust laws and the league flexes it's muscles in a way that scream absolute authority and monopoly.

I guess some of us were pretty silly for suggesting that Bettman had a grudge against the Rangers. I wonder if this sheds light on some of the funny business some like me perceive.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:13 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Well, how come league can take this issue to court over the constitution but the Rangers can't take the same recourse with an issue over the constitution?

Come to think of it, the Rangers tried to establish the league was abusing it's powers in a way that are deemed illegal by antitrust laws and the league flexes it's muscles in a way that scream absolute authority and monopoly.

I guess some of us were pretty silly for suggesting that Bettman had a grudge against the Rangers. I wonder if this sheds light on some of the funny business some like me perceive.

Professional sports teams are exempt from Antitrust laws, otherwise their would be mass chaos. otherwise you would see 60 or more teams trying to compete against each other. Just think of baseball in the 1800's when you had all these different leagues, and players switching teams in different leagues. Teams folding during the middle of a season, only to have another team pop up out of nowhere.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Can the NHL be this stupid?

Back off, let it go.
Rules are rules though. It is strict, but teams in the league need to adhere to the regulations and comply with the rules.

Anyways, I doubt anything will happen.

Quote:

It'll never happen. The Rangers are a fixture in New York, just like the other original 6 franchises are staples in their respective cities.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Sit back and enjoy. If you're a Bettman hater, then watch Dolan go after him. And if you're a Dolan basher, watch Bettman try to make an example out of him.

This will be wonderful theater. The NHL will never use the nuclear option so this should be some great posturing and bruised egos.

Personally, I would love Dolan to attack Bettman so he would have to say ANYTHING of substance. Bettman is a lawyer first. If you ever listen to any of his interviews, he says little to nothing of substance. Always hides behind the notion that he serves at the pleasure of the BOG. About time an owner makes Bettman address the NHL's HQ influence (or lack thereof according to Bettman).

But you're spot on, Dolan made an ass out of himself over the Knicks harassment suit and he has never backed away from a fight. There will be no repercussions for us as fans, so Jimmy is our out of control 3 year old. This will be fun!

but what if u hate them bolth equalie

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Professional sports teams are exempt from Antitrust laws, otherwise their would be mass chaos. otherwise you would see 60 or more teams trying to compete against each other. Just think of baseball in the 1800's when you had all these different leagues, and players switching teams in different leagues. Teams folding during the middle of a season, only to have another team pop up out of nowhere.
My point is that the league is almost establishing a... precedent or establishing this course of action as appropriate by taking the ownership to court. I don't see how you can go to court and claim the Rangers are in violation of the constitution for taking the league to court. Are the Dolans going to get fined for showing up at the courthouse? You know, it's in the constitution that teams can't use the courts as a viable channel so technically acting as the defendant is a violation.

My point is completely petty and tedious but that is the point of having all laws applied equally. Even in this realm of pro sports and antitrust exemption, you can't operate under a 'do as i say, not as i do' atmosphere.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
My point is that the league is almost establishing a... precedent or establishing this course of action as appropriate by taking the ownership to court. I don't see how you can go to court and claim the Rangers are in violation of the constitution for taking the league to court. Are the Dolans going to get fined for showing up at the courthouse? You know, it's in the constitution that teams can't use the courts as a viable channel so technically acting as the defendant is a violation.

My point is completely petty and tedious but that is the point of having all laws applied equally. Even in this realm of pro sports and antitrust exemption, you can't operate under a 'do as i say, not as i do' atmosphere.
oh ok gotcha.

Old
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
And it'd probably be the worst decision in the history of the league to allow an original 6 franchise to be moved

The sports world in general may not care much for hockey, but they'd be all over the league for a stunt like that, and in this case, they'd have a point
How to make Hockey less relevant? Take the #2 valued franchise in the league out of the USA’s #1 media market. Fantastic idea.

This just makes the league look even more pathetic then it already does.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

So does this mean the Rangers will have to play in the ECHL next year and forfit their Draft Picks this year?

FreeBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Levitate

More information:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

And anything the league tries to do to the Rangers has to be approved by 75% of the league owners.

I also thought this was ridiculous:

Quote:
NHL constitution also prohibits league members from resisting or trying to prevent termination in the league through the courts.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Rules are rules though. It is strict, but teams in the league need to adhere to the regulations and comply with the rules.

Anyways, I doubt anything will happen.
Blah blah, I'm tired of these arguments. The NHL has no business taking over an individual team's website in which that team has invested money to make it good. This is not like McDonald's. There is a big difference between a league and a franchise restaurant chain. Each team does not sell the same menu, each team is supposed to be unique and different. That comparison sucks and the NHL is wrong. I hate Dolan as much as anybody, but for the NHL to push crappier assets onto a team without compensation is ridiculous. "rules are rules"... except when rules are ridiculous and should be challenged.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
More information:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

And anything the league tries to do to the Rangers has to be approved by 75% of the league owners.

I also thought this was ridiculous:
Yeah, I really don't think anti-liability and anti-sue clauses hold up in court.

Old
06-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I bet Dolan is happy he supported the league during the lockout..

Bettman has let in owners that have no money and currently has two owners in MAJOR SEC trouble...Why make an example of Dolan?

BTW i the league thinks they can force an owner to sell the team they haven't paid attention to Al Davis and his fights with the NFL...

I'm not a huge Dolan fan (although I'm happy he is willing to spend money) but it seems like Dolan will have a great counter suit here...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I bet Dolan is happy he supported the league during the lockout..

Bettman has let in owners that have no money and currently has two owners in MAJOR SEC trouble...Why make an example of Dolan?

BTW i the league thinks they can force an owner to sell the team they haven't paid attention to Al Davis and his fights with the NFL...

I'm not a huge Dolan fan (although I'm happy he is willing to spend money) but it seems like Dolan will have a great counter suit here...
Seriously! Let's bring in Boots Delbiaggio as owner next. Bettman is a stupid ****

Old
06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
**** Bettman. All this over a website?? I defended MSG at the time this was an issue and I'll defend them now..teams should be allowed to run their own website. This sounds like the league trying to prove that it has all this power and that people should be afraid of Bettman.

I have absolutely no love for Dolan and I would be exstatic if he sold the Knicks and Rangers, but I have to defend him in a case like this.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote