HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL: Rangers Have Violated League Constitution

Old
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
Blah blah, I'm tired of these arguments. The NHL has no business taking over an individual team's website in which that team has invested money to make it good. This is not like McDonald's. There is a big difference between a league and a franchise restaurant chain. Each team does not sell the same menu, each team is supposed to be unique and different. That comparison sucks and the NHL is wrong. I hate Dolan as much as anybody, but for the NHL to push crappier assets onto a team without compensation is ridiculous. "rules are rules"... except when rules are ridiculous and should be challenged.
The court says that the league had every right taking over the Rangers website!

I find it interesting that the Rangers are complaining that an independent voice needs to decide the matter even though an independent Judge alread ruled on it.

The Rangers need to follow the league rules that they agreed too.

I support the NHL on this one!

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 06-19-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Levitate

I don't think you understand what's happening, exactly

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
ranold26
The real Gahden

The NHL has every right to do this. Clubs are FRANCHISES!
If a club's ownership violates said franchising agreements/bylaws, the league has every right to penalize/terminate, if need be.
Bettman and the league's council aren't the stupid ones here.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Fletch

I'm not a lawyer...

but assume that MSG has decent lawyers behind it and must feel they have something here and that they're not jeopardizing their ownership. That and the NHL would be foolish to try and force a sale of the Rangers. We all hate the Dolans, but that's a mess of a fight the league does not want.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
The NHL has every right to do this. Clubs are FRANCHISES!
If a club's ownership violates said franchising agreements/bylaws, the league has every right to penalize/terminate, if need be.
Bettman and the league's council aren't the stupid ones here.
No they're still retarded to push things this far, just like MSG is retarded for pushing it this far themselves.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Unk

I'm not going to try to debate the issue of the websites, but I think this law about not being allowed to challenge the league is stupid, and am actually hoping MSG wins out on this one. Is individual franchises are stripped of the right to sue the league, then it could become much more difficult for them to protect themselves from the league abusing its power, no?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The court says that the legue had every right taking over the Rangers website!

I find it interesting that the Rangers are complaining that an independent voice needs to decide the matter even though an independent Judge alread ruled on it.

You agree with every court ruling? In any case, the court ruled against the Rangers objections based on anti-trust. In fact, the case was dismissed without a hearing was it not? That doesn't mean the court agreed that the NHL was right.

Support the NHL and their declining importance in the sporting world all you want... good for you.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Is individual franchises are stripped of the right to sue the league, then it could become much more difficult for them to protect themselves from the league abusing its power, no?
In theory, all the teams have to vote on disciplinary action, and all teams have to vote in rules and things like that. I think things do get a little shaky with the "good old boys network" and the league having some ability to interpret rules as they see fit, but it's not like they can do absolutely anything they want

Old
06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Bottom line is this. If the NHL tries to oust Dolan the Rangers are severey affected and in turn so is the rest of the league. This is not the kind of headlines the NHL should want to make.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
You agree with every court ruling? In any case, the court ruled against the Rangers objections based on anti-trust. In fact, the case was dismissed without a hearing was it not? That doesn't mean the court agreed that the NHL was right.

Support the NHL and their declining importance in the sporting world all you want... good for you.
I dont understand this. If the NHL is convinced they are so right, then why dont they win in court. They need to have a little faith in the system.

What is the NHL gonna do? Take one of its most prestigious, history rich and moneymaking franchises out of The Worlds Most Famous Arena and stick the team in the Meadowlands at Izod Center?

That would be a BRILLIANT move on the part of the NHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

This is a very interesting case and I think the NHL is really wasting it's time on it. Yeah Dolan handled that whole website thing less than tactfully, like he's pretty much handled every legal issue he's confronted with (and I actually agree that the league should have zero control over how a team promotes itself, but that's not the point here); and yes the league does have a right to punish him for the way he protested and they need to protect their powers and the board of governors powers, but this is just insane. Exiling a guy for filing a lawsuit? A lawsuit that was thrown out of court because it lacked merit?

Yes they should fine him and file some administrative sanctions or whatever crap they do. But stripping ownership? Selling the team? Are they insane?

And this is coming from a Devils fan, you know you done messed up as a league when we don't agree with a possible punishment on the Rangers.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I'm not going to get involved with any legal jargon or anything, but I will say this: I can't wait for next season, I mean, we thought the games were called unfairly before? I can only imagine what this league would stoop to... Or what some posts will look like come Oct.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
How to make Hockey less relevant? Take the #2 valued franchise in the league out of the USA’s #1 media market. Fantastic idea.

This just makes the league look even more pathetic then it already does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I dont understand this. If the NHL is convinced they are so right, then why dont they win in court. They need to have a little faith in the system.

What is the NHL gonna do? Take one of its most prestigious, history rich and moneymaking franchises out of The Worlds Most Famous Arena and stick the team in the Meadowlands at Izod Center?

That would be a BRILLIANT move on the part of the NHL.
To say you guys are over-reacting to this would be an understatement. Okay, let's entertain the like a one in a million of one percent chance the league were to "try" Dolan on that charge and find cause for termination of his ownership and the correct percentage of other owners went along (they wouldn't)...

Dolan would be forced to sell the team. Now, considering Dolan owns the team, MSG the building, MSG the network, etc and there's these things called leases and TV contract, why would they not continue to play/be televised on MSG and why would Dolan not continue to reap the benefits of ownership without actually being the owner? He's going to rip up the Rangers TV deal and let them go to SNY? He's going to rip up the Rangers lease (and god knows what the terms of these two things are, because if you don't think they favor Dolan, you are insane), and tell them to get lost and go to Jersey, giving up the gate money and the concessions and everything, and the 45+ dates, in order to spite the league? LOL.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
They would lose this in any united states court. Not to mention the NHL would prove it's stupidity yet again.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If I'm Dolan i go down swinging...I try to create a "conspiracy" against the Rangers and use the referees biased calls against the Rangers as evidence...

With the problems in the NBA it's actually plausable...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Fletch

guy...

I also thought that perhaps everyone's jumping the gun concerning the Rangers leaving in the insane event that they are sold, but at the same time everything you stated does likely have clauses for change in control events and I can't tell you how exactly they read.

But thinking about that really tells me how stupid this all is. The black eye the NHL would receive for trying to oust an owner is enormous. And, of course, it's in a large market, not to mention the home of its headquarters. And there is a bit more to a sale then just saying, hey, go and sell the team, because, as you mentioned, there is an arena, broadcast rights, etc., that if there was a new owner of the team, they would have to negotiate with the Dolans to not only sell the team, but for the lease on the arena, broadcast rights, etc., and it gets real complicated and the price gets to a point where there are no buyers, and then what does the NHL do? Exercise its monopoly power to force a firesale and allow them to use the arena and broadcast rights under the current terms and then that goes to court because that can't happen and so on. The suggestion of forcing MSG to sell seems silly; having it in writing is even sillier.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I also thought that perhaps everyone's jumping the gun concerning the Rangers leaving in the insane event that they are sold, but at the same time everything you stated does likely have clauses for change in control events and I can't tell you how exactly they read.

But thinking about that really tells me how stupid this all is. The black eye the NHL would receive for trying to oust an owner is enormous. And, of course, it's in a large market, not to mention the home of its headquarters. And there is a bit more to a sale then just saying, hey, go and sell the team, because, as you mentioned, there is an arena, broadcast rights, etc., that if there was a new owner of the team, they would have to negotiate with the Dolans to not only sell the team, but for the lease on the arena, broadcast rights, etc., and it gets real complicated and the price gets to a point where there are no buyers, and then what does the NHL do? Exercise its monopoly power to force a firesale and allow them to use the arena and broadcast rights under the current terms and then that goes to court because that can't happen and so on. The suggestion of forcing MSG to sell seems silly; having it in writing is even sillier.

What about the league being in bed with Comcast? Dolans lawyers can easily create a case that the league is trying to help there partners at comcast over cablevision..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

I agree the logistics of a sale would be ridiculous and it would be hard to find buyers when the prior owner has a vice-grip on the only two real sources of NHL revenue (gate and local TV).

But in microscopic chance something did happen, I don't understand the concept of the team leaving. People get worked up too easily. Look, at most, you guys are getting fined to end this stupid feud, going back to the website trying to broadcast the Atlanta series out of market. (Which I agree with, if the league can't provide the proper market penetration to get most, if not all, of the playoff games on national TV, the fans of out of town teams shouldn't have to pay $50 to watch the playoffs, when they had an expected standard of seeing most of the games in the past on ESPN or an over-the-air network.)

If insanity broke lose, I could see a Steinbrenner situation where Dolan got parked, but never a forced sale.

Old
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
ThirdEye

I've never seen anything get blown out of proportion so quick.

I can almost guarantee nothing of note will happen.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
Wow, I'm surprised the NHL is taking it this far. I assumed the case over the website was water under the bridge, I'd hate to see this go any further.

I shake my head at this too. What's even more rediculous, is why would Bettman file this on the eve of the biggest offseason day for the NHL? I mean, it's just more negativity, and coming at a time wher ethe NHL is trying to increase popularity again. So, file a lawsuit against the worlds most famous arena, which hosts arguably the NHL biggest fanbase.

Tremendous job again by Gary Bettman!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

That Nazi Gary Bettman has no right for teams to not be able to make their own website let alone sue.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:07 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
That Nazi Gary Bettman has no right for teams to not be able to make their own website let alone sue.
But the owners have the right to stop a team from creating revenue that would be difficult to share. Do you even know why this happened?

Both sides have their hands dirty. What Dolan did, I personally believe, was fair. But, from the league's perspective, he was going into business for himself. So, it's just easier for the league to centralize their web sites, keeping that from happening again and ensure that everyone shares web-based revenue fairly.

It has alot more to it than his refusal to re-format the web site until he lost the court case.

Old
06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
pwallll

Sorry if someone already answered this question but what exactly did the Rangers (MSG) do to make Bettman go crazy?

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

The Rangers didn't disobey the independent voice, they just went to one to decide on a case that they felt had merit. Once the judge ruled, they complied so I don't get your point here on the Rangers and the judge. They followed the courts decision, and they aren't upset that a judge will rule on this one, we're just upset that all of this stems from an issue with a website.

The league basically commendeered the Rangers own website that they bought, funded and ran and also generated revenue through. I don't see why challenging this action is so shocking to people and why it deserves banishment.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 View Post
Sorry if someone already answered this question but what exactly did the Rangers (MSG) do to make Bettman go crazy?
Tried to put playoff games live on their team website. (I think for free, don't quote me on that, but I think this was just a feeler and future games would have been pay-per-view) Not editorializing, just reporting when this started.