HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Share your Favorite Buchbergr (Bucky) memory.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
  #26
Heist
 
Heist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,799
vCash: 500
Watching him get beat up numerous times

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
  #27
TheSpecialist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Favorite Bucky memory.....when he gets the crap kicked out of him.

TheSpecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:14 PM
  #28
firemedic136
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
when Cub Carson went on a rant on how beating up Bucky was like beating up your sister: yeah, you can do it, but it doesn't mean anything, and you can't brag about it afterwards!

BTW, did Staios and Bucky play together in Atlanta? (too lazy to look it up.)

firemedic136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
  #29
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,743
vCash: 500
The first Oilers game that I ever saw live, Buchberger got into a fight (may have been Francois Leroux (sp.?)) the guy was big and played for the Avs in the late 90's ('97 I believe). It looked like Buchberger was getting the upper hand, then they went to the ice. I was cheering my heart out!!!

Then I watched the replay on TV, and they went down alright!!! Buchberger got DROPPED at the end of the fight!!!

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
  #30
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 16 View Post
Just put the youtube file name in between the youtube brackets (quote my post to see...)

Thanks, I leaned something today

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
  #31
dsi
Registered User
 
dsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Favourite memory would be the OT goal against Dallas in the comeback game of the 1997 playoffs.

Also the game he scored his first and only hat trick, the third going into an empty net ha ha ha.. But it was a well-earned season for Bucky, in which he scored 20 goals.

One of my least favourite memories is how he made a little-known minor leaguer called Petr Prajsler a household name in LA during a brawl in 1990. It's on Youtube I think. In this fight-filled game against the Kings, Bucky took a swipe at the young guy when he wasn't looking... After shaking off the cobwebs, Prajsler turned around and absolutely clocked Bucky with one punch. It became a highlight all over the sports news, and even in the 1990 NHL awards ceremony it was a highlight in a "bloopers" video they were showing. LOL But it was Bucky who actually lasted in the NHL; it was the only highlight of Prajsler's short-lived career.

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
  #32
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,705
vCash: 500
Three words: Human Punching Bag

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 10:42 PM
  #33
Gunner8811
Registered User
 
Gunner8811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The first Oilers game that I ever saw live, Buchberger got into a fight (may have been Francois Leroux (sp.?)) the guy was big and played for the Avs in the late 90's ('97 I believe). It looked like Buchberger was getting the upper hand, then they went to the ice. I was cheering my heart out!!!

Then I watched the replay on TV, and they went down alright!!! Buchberger got DROPPED at the end of the fight!!!
Ahhhh, Francois Leroux an old Oiler 1st rounder that didn't ever pan out. He was a giant back then at 6'6".

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
  #34
Fortboy
 
Fortboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northlands Coliseum
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 1,739
vCash: 500
even the velvet tracksuit laid the beats to Bucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AKhko0fqCo

Fortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:35 AM
  #35
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,749
vCash: 500
I'm really shocked at the Bucky hate. The guy did nothing but play his ass off every shift.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
  #36
Waterboy
Registered User
 
Waterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yellowknife
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengood View Post
scoring against dallas in the big 3-0 late game comeback.

bucky rules!!
Mine too. Still the bestworst hockey game I've ever been too. So boring for 55 minutes and then caos for the rest. Awesome.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
  #37
TowMater14
Registered User
 
TowMater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OIL COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 50
Everytime that useless punching bag got his ass handed to him! The guy can't coach and he proved it last year....so WHY fast track him to the OIL??? I am actually pretty pissed about this!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
  #38
The Major
Registered User
 
The Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: edm.ab.ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Someone mentioned it above, Game 3, Round 1, 1997 Playoffs. Bucky in OT with Rosie crashing the net (and a toe in the crease) to cap off a miraculous 3-0 comeback!

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
  #39
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 500
"Bleed all over 'em, let 'em know you're there!" - Ned Braden, Slap Shot

If that doesn't embody the spirit of Buchberger's best moments, I don't know what would.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:15 PM
  #40
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Was just watching fights of Bucky on youtube and there is no exaggeration or hatred from people here - it's the truth. Dude would get tagged and laid out in every fight he was in. From Anson Carter to Joe Thornton to Bob Probert, they all used Buchberger's face as a speed bag.

I'll give him a tip of the hat for his courage. It can't be easy to summon up after having your ass kicked repeatedly to keep going in for more.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
  #41
VoiceOfReason
Registered User
 
VoiceOfReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: from parts unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengood View Post
scoring against dallas in the big 3-0 late game comeback.

bucky rules!!
Hands down the best (and perhaps only) Bucky moment!!!

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
  #42
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 500
In all seriousness though, I do have one Bucky moment that I've never forgotten.

Back in Buchberger's rookie year in the 88/89 season, the Oilers were having one of those halfassed open practices at W.Edmonton mall's skating rink. I used to sneak off school to watch 'em whenever I could.

Bucky was skating around giving it his all, basically practicing like his hair was on fire. I'm guessing something he did must've ticked off Lowe, because on one of the drills Lowe stuck his stick out and sent Buchberger sprawling on his ass at center ice, arms and legs everywhere.

Bucky looked up, all "*** was that?!"...Lowe looked down with his arms spread wide in a "Oops, that totally wasn't me" mocking kinda way. Bucky gave a wry smirk, picked himself up off the ice, and went on his way.

Message sent, and received.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
  #43
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Buchberger came back to Alberta after he retired and played one season with the Bentley Generals in 2006.

What we hoped would be a dominant performance from an old NHL war horse turned out to be totally disappointing.

Bucky was in great shape and definatley still had the big strong stride...(he was always a good skater IMO) but even at the Sr. Amatueur level...Bucky still had no sense of timing,creativity or finish what-so-ever.

Understandabley... the Gens' coaching staff tried all season to exploit Bucky's impressive resume. In the playoffs that year he played 30 minutes a game for us while other younger,more skilled players watched in horror as Bucky made rush after rush down the wing and delivered next to NOTHING on the score sheet.

It was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in SR hockey. I was amazed at how FUTILE Bucky's effort(s) were.

By the time it was all said and done...the proof was undeniable...Bucky MUST never have been actually close to being a good enough player to play in the NHL.

It leaves me wondering just how many guys like Bucky are actually getting by in the NHL even though they have NOTHING in terms of smarts... or hands.

I can list loads of guys who should have went waaaaaay further in their careers than Kelly Buchberger and I know a few are really frustrated by how over rated 'work ethic' or 'guts' can be at times.

I mean...if your going to be DUMB...you have to be tough. That sums up Bucky for the fans who follow(ed) SR Hockey.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:33 PM
  #44
Oilers1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Fave memory was around 97 or 98. The Oilers didn't have a tough guy and were playing Chicago. Probert was running around a bit so Bucky challenged him to a fight. . .Probert destroyed him.

They went to the penalty box for their five minutes and as soon as they got out. . .Bucky dropped the gloves and started throwing them again. I think Probert was even a little stunned that he'd come back for more. . .but he quickly got over it and laid a second whipping on Buchberger.

Anyone who says Buchberger demoralized his team never watched him play. . . Bucky was electrifying the way he'd drop 'em and go after the biggest guy on the other team. He knew he was going to get pounded, the crowd knew he was going to get pounded, and the other guy knew it. But he'd do it anyway and he'd do it with gusto.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
  #45
Gunner8811
Registered User
 
Gunner8811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Buchberger came back to Alberta after he retired and played one season with the Bentley Generals in 2006.

What we hoped would be a dominant performance from an old NHL war horse turned out to be totally disappointing.

Bucky was in great shape and definatley still had the big strong stride...(he was always a good skater IMO) but even at the Sr. Amatueur level...Bucky still had no sense of timing,creativity or finish what-so-ever.

Understandabley... the Gens' coaching staff tried all season to "exploit Bucky's impressive resume. In the playoffs that year he played 30 minutes a game for us while other younger,more skilled players watched in horror as Bucky made rush after rush down the wing and delivered next to NOTHING on the score sheet.

It was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in SR hockey. I was amazed at how FUTILE Bucky's effort(s) were.

By the time it was all said and done...the proof was undeniable...Bucky MUST never have been actually close to being a good enough player to play in the NHL.

It leaves me wondering just how many guys like Bucky are actually getting by in the NHL even though they have NOTHING in terms of smarts... or hands.

I can list loads of guys who should have went waaaaaay further in their careers than Kelly Buchberger and I know a few are really frustrated by how over rated 'work ethic' or 'guts' can be at times.

I mean...if your going to be DUMB...you have to be tough. That sums up Bucky for the fans who follow(ed) SR Hockey.




Wow that is quite the ending to a brutal post. I can't believe your judging an entire hockey career based on the fact that a guy that played in the NHL didn't come out to a Sr. league at the age of 40 and dominate. As for never be good enough to play in the NHL, Bucky played over 1200 games including playoffs, won 2 Stanley cups, captained an NHL club for multiple years, and played for 5 NHL hockey clubs amongst other things (I think he may have even had some World Championships in there to) and your going to say he some how was "getting by".

I know your love for the Generals is never ending Wade, but you might have to rethink as to how your going to judge players talent and contributions to their team and at what point of a players career are we seeing the real player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I mean...if your going to be DUMB...you have to be tough. That sums up Bucky for the fans who follow(ed) SR Hockey.
I mean...come on. Sounds like a pretty DUMB analogy of a player with Bucky's resume.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
  #46
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
[/B]

Wow that is quite the ending to a brutal post. I can't believe your judging an entire hockey career based on the fact that a guy that played in the NHL didn't come out to a Sr. league at the age of 40 and dominate. As for never be good enough to play in the NHL, Bucky played over 1200 games including playoffs, won 2 Stanley cups, captained an NHL club for multiple years, and played for 5 NHL hockey clubs amongst other things (I think he may have even had some World Championships in there to) and your going to say he some how was "getting by".

I know your love for the Generals is never ending Wade, but you might have to rethink as to how your going to judge players talent and contributions to their team and at what point of a players career are we seeing the real player.



I mean...come on. Sounds like a pretty DUMB analogy of a player with Bucky's resume.
Bucky's age is no excuse and it wasn't the reason why he was not a dominant player at the SR level. He was in great shape...ten fold the conditioning of most amateur players. He was bigger,stronger and as fast...if not faster than 90% of the guys he played. Plus the fact he had plenty of lung capacity in comparison as well.

The problem was: He was sans smarts on the ice. It was the same thing in the NHL.

There are several top SR players in a comparable age range to Bucky. There is one guy in particular playing in Fort St John that happens to be a perfect contrast to Bucky: Kip Noble....he's 40+ and still amongst the best in the country.

As for Bucky: Obviously his better years were behind him by the time he came to Bentley. Nobody ever doubted that! Like I said before though...lots of 40 year old players have came and went and done FAR MORE than Bucky accomplished.

I can say unequivocally that I've seen lots of guys who never played a single NHL game that were visibly better than Buchberger. Kelly wasn't a terrible player in Bentley...but he was expected (and rightfully so) to be one of the best players in the country and my BIGGEST memory of him would have to be his complete and utterly FALIED attempt to play SR hockey at a high level.

On brute force,heart,toughness...whatever...everyone knows about that stuff. It was totally the reason for his 1200 NHL games.

As a General:

He spun his wheels faster and longer than I ever thought possible. Anyone who watched the 2006 series with Fort Sask. said the same thing!

Most people will also agree that he completely relied on intangibles (along with his aforementioned skating) to put together an NHL career.

I still insist he MORE than just defied the odds to get as far as he did with as little as he had 'upstairs'.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:37 PM
  #47
jcorb58
Registered User
 
jcorb58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
The first game he played was a playoff game that he challenged Dave Brown in. I also remember the Oil on a road trip where he fought and lost bad in Vancouver, I believe it was Odjick that cut him up pretty good. Next night in San Jose he takes another vicious beating from Link Gaetz. How can anyone lose so bad, so often and still want more? I liked Bucky but more guts than brains certainly decribed him.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:40 PM
  #48
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
A lot of those better 40 year olds would have been better off if they had been smarter 18 year olds. Not all, and there is no doubt there is luck involved (i.e. Bucky's dad being a scout for the Jr. team he ended up at). But a lot of guys during that time in small-town wherever rode their local fame too the nth degree and were unwilling to put in the effort to turn that skill into NHL skill (heck even Jr. A skill).

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:58 PM
  #49
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
A lot of those better 40 year olds would have been better off if they had been smarter 18 year olds. Not all, and there is no doubt there is luck involved (i.e. Bucky's dad being a scout for the Jr. team he ended up at). But a lot of guys during that time in small-town wherever rode their local fame too the nth degree and were unwilling to put in the effort to turn that skill into NHL skill (heck even Jr. A skill).
I wouldn't say it was a lack of work ethic. Players who are now in their 40's were mostly draft eligible at a time when size and toughness was paramount for almost ALL prospects. Unless your name was Gretzky...it was hard to get anywhere with anything less than 6'0 200 pound type frame.

Bucky is a big rangy guy. Somebody talked somebody into drafting him in the 9th round and having never even been close to prolific as a JR,there was zero chance he would get confused as to what he had to do to make it any further. He came into a perfect situation where he could perform his role and get more than a passing grade without getting points or even attempting to play any kind of cerebral game.

Still...to see him up close at the start of the 2006 Generals campaign...he was a convincing enough package for sure. He had a wickedly powerful kick to his stride and long arms with serious upper body strength. He carried the mail with authority. It was enough to dupe many into thinking he was the perfect fit for SR.

As the season unfolded...in particular the playoffs that spring...he was woefully exposed for the all braun/no brain scrapper that he was and it didn't matter what level he played...its ALL he ever had. Cut and dry.

I also remember his absolutley embarassing approach to 'shadowing' Wayne Gretzky. It amounted to nothing short of unbelievabe...how much he got away with...water skiing/mauling 99. I think Wayne even lost a little respect...not just for Bucky...but the direction of the league in general (pardon the pun). I mean...there is obvioulsy a job in any league that would ALLOW that kind of 'checking' but it certainly would never fly nowadays and even at the Sr level...once again...I have to INSIST: Bucky was a gruesome HACK.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:06 PM
  #50
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
I can't believe all the hate people have for Bucky.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.