HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What's the inside story in Dallas?

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 12:46 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
What's the inside story in Dallas?

According to Spectors, Al Strachan is saying the Dallas locker room is completely dysfunctional. There are guys locker room that supposedly haven't talked for months. Strachen speculates a house cleaning.

Any info? Also, Arnott was sent packing from the Devils in part because of his negative impact in the locker room. Is there any knowledge as to whether he's in the middle of this?

Old
05-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I never believe these lockerroom rumours coming from outside reporters.. There have been several interviews with several players that all described the lockerroom atmosphere as perfectly fine. Excuse me for prefering their words over some low-live anylist that ran out of stories.

What I heard over the course of the season is that Jason is actually one of the most popular guys. He and Billy G have actually become best buddies.. If anything, it seems like the players are way too laid back, they make way too many jokes and need to get more serious. But, problems.. not sure, haven't heard anything about that, and I follow the Stars pretty darn close.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:49 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
According to Spectors, Al Strachan is saying the Dallas locker room is completely dysfunctional. There are guys locker room that supposedly haven't talked for months. Strachen speculates a house cleaning.

Any info? Also, Arnott was sent packing from the Devils in part because of his negative impact in the locker room. Is there any knowledge as to whether he's in the middle of this?
In all honesty I think guys like Strachan make this stuff up about players that don't want to give out interviews or be buddies of the press and other media... Obviously sometimes there may be a rift in the room, but the players can usually control those things on their own, and when they cant the GM may have to step in... but Strachan just likes to make stuff up, just ask Brian burke!!

Old
05-30-2004, 03:37 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
First Edmonton and then NJ about Arnott--Were there's smoke there be fire for this boys negativity

Old
05-30-2004, 03:46 PM
txpd

i could see a break up of the stars in a way that looks a lot like what happened to the capitals. the payroll is bigger, but the problems are similar.

the problem is that they have several big contracts that are just not moveable.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Mizral

This isn't the first time this has been reported - it's not just Al saying this.

Then again, if you ever wanted to destroy Al's credibility.. why not mention how he said that Pronger would go to Florida? Davidson & Dutashek or whatever his name is went ballistic on him on that one.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:59 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
In all honesty I think guys like Strachan make this stuff up

Al Strachan making something up? Are you saying he is a rumor monger????? This is earth shattering!!!!!

.......This is Strachan....take whatever he says and reverse it. If he says the lockeroom is dysfunctional, you can bet that the Stars will be seen at Disney Land tomorrow holding hands on "It's a Small World," and having group pictures taken with Tinkerbell!

Old
05-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I'm with Modano = Dud here. Gossip column fodder that today's fan eats up.

NYI has supposedly had "lockeroom problems" for the last couple of seasons.

To which I say, yep....And that "problem" is a lack of talent within the lockeroom.

Dallas possesses more talent than NYI, but the point is similar.

Winning leads to "love" of one's fellow teammates. Not the other way around.

Old
05-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Starsdude

Problem was Modano sucked and so did Lethinen (he was hurt) and the Defense was inconsistent at best. Your best players have to be your best players and they were not this year

Old
05-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Talented/High Salary team that underperforms= "lockerroom problems" all to often.

I'd take any of this talk with a grain of salt.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:07 PM
DARKSIDE

I don't about the Stars lockeroom, but I know that Al Strachan is another Steve Glass and the only time he has anything postive to say is when he's reminiscing about the Oilers of the 80's.

Old
05-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Problem was Modano sucked and so did Lethinen (he was hurt) and the Defense was inconsistent at best. Your best players have to be your best players and they were not this year
Also, I do believe the rumours that said how it was rather quiet in the lockerroom during crucial games. No one really stepped up to the plate and gave one of those motivating, heartbraking speeches, except for Guerin occasionally. No one also never bothered to call meetings, something we saw multiple times in 2002. But these aren't the lockerroom problems Strachan means, I suppose he means that there's a cancer (hate using that word) in the lockerroom and how some guys don't get along. That's not nearly the case from my understandings. In this regard, Modano was as good a captain as he was a point producer, which was way below par.

Though Lehtinen didn't suck, not at all. He was bothered by injuries all the time, played through some of them and had his usual wonderful job of fixing every line that didn't have any chemestry, problem was however, that there wasn't any chemestry throughout the entire line-up, period. An impossible task that resulted in lower numbers and inconsistant play. Lehtinen played somewhat below par, but I found his defensive game to be outstanding as usual. He never complained either..

Last edited by Ajacied: 05-30-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
First Edmonton and then NJ about Arnott--Were there's smoke there be fire for this boys negativity
you can say the same thing about shayne corson... 1st toronto, now dallas...

Old
05-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Arnott wasn't a locker room problem... he just likes to fight with the management and Lamoriello didn't take lightly. He became a locker room problem when his fight with Lamoriello spilled over into the locker room and he declared that he wouldn't come back, no matter what the following season, and the team (not the coach or management, the players) took away his 'A' and gave it to Holik.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Bit OT:

Is there any chance that the Stars would move Modano? (One realizes that his annual salary is enormous, thus limiting his trade appeal greatly.)

Anyone responding: Please note that the question is whether Hicks and the organization would consider moving him, not whether you would. I'm sure more than a few fans have turned on MM, given his salary and lack of production last season.

Also, how many years left on Modano's deal? Thanks in advance.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Flames 1st pick

This I know for sure, Tom Hicks said things weren't working and the team will take a new direction....

So expect many changes coming up....

Old
05-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Bit OT:

Is there any chance that the Stars would move Modano? (One realizes that his annual salary is enormous, thus limiting his trade appeal greatly.)

Anyone responding: Please note that the question is whether Hicks and the organization would consider moving him, not whether you would. I'm sure more than a few fans have turned on MM, given his salary and lack of production last season.

Also, how many years left on Modano's deal? Thanks in advance.
Modano signed a one year extension when he still had one year left a year ago, so that would make him an UFA at the end of the 2004/2005 season. However, Modano has only had one (count 'm) bad year in his entire career with the franchise. I'm extremely positive that even with his below par season, management has not changed their thoughts about him, his abilities or his dedication to the game of hockey and to the city of Dallas. Unless Modano goes through an exact same season, I doubt trading him would even come up in the minds of management.

Old
05-31-2004, 05:59 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Modano signed a one year extension when he still had one year left a year ago, so that would make him an UFA at the end of the 2004/2005 season. However, Modano has only had one (count 'm) bad year in his entire career with the franchise. I'm extremely positive that even with his below par season, management has not changed their thoughts about him, his abilities or his dedication to the game of hockey and to the city of Dallas. Unless Modano goes through an exact same season, I doubt trading him would even come up in the minds of management.
maybe madano's just getting old...he is 34

Old
05-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
maybe madano's just getting old...he is 34
No, that's definitely not it. He's still 33 though.. It was just a very unfortunate season for him. He somehow lost millions of dollars about a few weeks into the season and he didn't respond well to it, making it noticable on the ice. The Media then questioned his dedication to the game, questioned whether he trully is a good C or not, and also was the one who got all the blame for the team's poor start. And if that wasn't enough, during the games that Mo did feel very comfortable in, he had the worst luck ever, hitting post after post after bar after bar, getting an unlucky bounce after another. All in all, not exactly the things that motivate you.. He's only human, you can't expect him to completely ignore his off-ice problems and just play the game of hockey, it's not that simple.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I think it would be a huge mistake were Dallas to move him (which, as suggested, is highly unlikely). One off-season does not make for a career downfall, and frankly, his trade value would be at its lowest right now. I fully expect him to bounce back and have several more very productive seasons. Guys with wheels often can deliver well into their late 30s.

I was simply looking at it from the standpoint of another team. Salary aside, getting Modano at this stage of his career would be potentially a great move (buy low/sell high). Somewhat similar to when NYR acquiring Messier (the first time around) from Edmonton. Proven star, winner, who was coming off some down times.

Again, not going to happen, just speculating.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Modano-for-Holik, anyone?

Old
05-31-2004, 06:34 PM
deathbear

jason arnott and holik dont get along well at all, if i remember correctly. though ofcourse, how would i know?

Closed Thread