HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor/Speculation: Avery is a goner

Old
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Vatchern

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i hope ur right along with mara, straka and jagr those r the 4 players id resign. mara is cheaper than rozsival and plays a better all round game and actually plays physical when he has too.
Mara is not at all worth 3M a year. he was a 6th and 7th D man through half the year. he makes too many mistakes. i hope they let him go.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatchern View Post
Mara is not at all worth 3M a year. he was a 6th and 7th D man through half the year. he makes too many mistakes. i hope they let him go.
im not saying he is worth 3 mil but he is better than rozsival.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:18 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i hope ur right along with mara, straka and jagr those r the 4 players id resign. mara is cheaper than rozsival and plays a better all round game and actually plays physical when he has too.
Defense should be last on Sather's list.
Sather being far from brilliant ain't stupid either. He should realize that dismantling the team and start anew is a suicidal proposition. The fact that he didn't hurry to shell $$ at this moment doesn't suggest that he lost his mind. To the contrary, the only prudent way to deal with unknown market is to wait it out. Players are not sure what prices could they they command either. So it is waiting game at this time. Leaking some scares that should effect players appetite for big bucks is OK , I guess.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
NYR Viper

pass on mara..sign redden and orpik/stuart

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:27 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Sather low balling Sean and his agent. Why not? That is what he has to do and he's been good at it. At this point in time Slats has absolutely nothing to lose. I predict Avery will be Ranger for 3 year 10 million .
According to Larry Brooks, Sather isn't even negotiating with Avery or his agent, nevermind low-balling them.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202008...co__116325.htm

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
According to Larry Brooks, Sather isn't even negotiating with Avery or his agent, nevermind low-balling them.
Why would you think not talking means not willing to get them signed? It means nothing at this point. Sather believes ( and, I think, rightfully so) he can match any other team money wise. This is not veteran market anyway. Every team is looking for young players that could be had for long time. DiPietro contract is no longer seems crazy as inflationary process takes over. The bridge contracts that NYR is willing to pay its veterans is not something to walk away from for Shanny, Straka and even Jagr. Sather wants them to realize that comes July 1st.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Fletch

You're right, 94..

in that because he's not dealing with them now that he's not going to try and sign them. Of course, one would think that if you sign them before free agency you'd get a better price, so it would suck to pay more. And I'm not sure Sather believes he can match any offer, and hopefully he's not stupid enough to think someone may call him prior to signing and say "I got this, can you match" as opposed to signing and moving on.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why would you think not talking means not willing to get them signed? It means nothing at this point. Sather believes ( and, I think, rightfully so) he can match any other team money wise. This is not veteran market anyway. Every team is looking for young players that could be had for long time. DiPietro contract is no longer seems crazy as inflationary process takes over. The bridge contracts that NYR is willing to pay its veterans is not something to walk away from for Shanny, Straka and even Jagr. Sather wants them to realize that comes July 1st.
I think that relies heavily on estimations of what Avery is worth to other teams. I don't think he's going to match any offer that comes Avery's way, I think he's hoping his antics will reduce his value to other teams and he'll get 2.5-3 mil offers from fringe teams that aren't based in areas that cater to Avery's 'other interests' like fashion and celebrity schmoozing. Maybe then, Avery will come back to Sather and take a discount to be in a place like NY.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i still disagree....3 million is what he deserves.....i think people arent understanding where i am coming from
He deserves whatever the going rate is for a 2nd line player.
Quote:
he is coming off a year when he was injured allmost half the games and he is going to get 3.5?.....
So what? Look at his preceeding 3. It's not like he has been bothered by chronic groin or hamstring injuries.
Quote:
would avery be a top two line player on those teams?....probably not.....
Yes, on at least two
Quote:
he is a very good third liner, and in the new nhl third liners are expected to produce(matt cullen for example)....
His points are worthy of a 2nd line player.
Quote:
he has never scored 30 goals
Neither has Malone
Quote:
or really put up that many points
In a year's worth of games, he put up points worthy of a 2nd liner.
Quote:
considering most teams wouldnt have touched him two years ago when the rangers traded for him because he was a "cancer".....
This is not then, this is now. Does not seem like he has the same stigma here.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote