HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto gets Mayers for a 3rd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2008, 07:02 AM
  #1
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Toronto gets Mayers for a 3rd

Strange trade for a team needing to rebuild. I think he would have been a good fit on the Habs though, he can play center or wing and is not afraid to get his nose dirty...a bit more skilled version of Kotsopoulos.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:06 AM
  #2
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Plan the parade...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:08 AM
  #3
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,914
vCash: 500
It was rumored since last year that the Leafs were interested in Mayers so i'm not surprised that it actually happend with Jamal being a local guy and all.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
  #4
Habs_46
Registered User
 
Habs_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
....let me be the first to say.... who cares... lol

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
  #5
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,562
vCash: 500
Mayers is a really solid pickup for a 3rd rounder. I wish we had made that trade!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:38 AM
  #6
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,646
vCash: 1000
And so its started, Toronto giving away (again) draft choices and making sure they stay far far away from the Cup...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
  #7
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Mayers is a really solid pickup for a 3rd rounder. I wish we had made that trade!
I think like McGrattan, he doesn't really fit Gainey's blueprint. Mayers is a 3rd liner on a good team, but they seem to want a 3rd line that can score 50 goals a year or more and fill in on the top 2 lines without a hitch. Mayers is more of a pure checking line guy in the Anaheim scheme. The Habs want their 3rd line center to be a Plekanec or Koivu...even Smolinski brought more skill than Mayers as 3rd line center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
  #8
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
I don't get it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM
  #9
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think like McGrattan, he doesn't really fit Gainey's blueprint. Mayers is a 3rd liner on a good team, but they seem to want a 3rd line that can score 50 goals a year or more and fill in on the top 2 lines without a hitch. Mayers is more of a pure checking line guy in the Anaheim scheme. The Habs want their 3rd line center to be a Plekanec or Koivu...even Smolinski brought more skill than Mayers as 3rd line center.
Smolinski might have brought more skill, but Mayers brings more grit, and that is what we need more at this point IMHO. He's better than the rest of our checkers, anyway. Even if you're just adding depth or insurance policies, jeez, a 3rd rounder is a cheap price to pay for it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
  #10
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Smolinski might have brought more skill, but Mayers brings more grit, and that is what we need more at this point IMHO. He's better than the rest of our checkers, anyway. Even if you're just adding depth or insurance policies, jeez, a 3rd rounder is a cheap price to pay for it.
Agreed, I always liked Mayers. He has a bit of my user name's game in him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
  #11
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I don't get it.
Neither does Cliff Fletcher...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:59 AM
  #12
blueberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Will they ever learn.....fletcher is senile!

blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
  #13
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,274
vCash: 500
Not quite a rebuilding mode type of trade. But like Blind G said, I wouldn't mind if the Habs had picked up Mayers.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
  #14
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Smolinski might have brought more skill, but Mayers brings more grit, and that is what we need more at this point IMHO. He's better than the rest of our checkers, anyway. Even if you're just adding depth or insurance policies, jeez, a 3rd rounder is a cheap price to pay for it.

Agreed.

I can't see any Toronto fan complaining about this move. If Gainey would of traded a 3rd rounder for Mayers, I would be quite happy.

...and add to the fact he is signed through next year at a realtivly cheap price ($1.3M or something like that).

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:11 AM
  #15
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,667
vCash: 500
Good move by TO. He just brings everything I wish we would have more. Grit of Kostopoulos with the speed of a Lapierre and some hockey sense to go with that. Always been a fan of his.......it will have to change now.....

Honestly, great move for a change.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:12 AM
  #16
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Agreed.

I can't see any Toronto fan complaining about this move. If Gainey would of traded a 3rd rounder for Mayers, I would be quite happy.

...and add to the fact he is signed through next year at a realtivly cheap price ($1.3M or something like that).

I wouldn't be pissed if Gainey got him...but I can see why if they want to add another skill centerman...Lapierre and Chichura are more than adequate for 4th line.

I don't see it as a smart move for Toronto, they have nowhere near the depth of youth the Habs have and they need all the picks they have...unless they are trading some of their vets for extra picks, even at that they desperately need all their picks...but I'm happy for them, they don't seem to be straying from 10 more years of mediocrity.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:22 AM
  #17
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,667
vCash: 500
People need to do the difference between:

Trading great picks for bad players and Trading picks for relatively good and useful ones. You'll see that Mayers fall in that last category.
Cap wise it's pretty friendly. And he brings something the Leafs don't have too much now that Tucker seems pretty much washed up. And again, it's not like the Leafs have only 5 picks in this draft....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
  #18
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Don't really get this deal, although there's nothing wrong with it. Mayers is a good grit player and well worth a 3rd rounder but let's face it the last thing the Leafs need is another 34 year old.

To me it implies that Leafs are set on dumping a bunch of vets and Fletch decided they need a body to play minutes. On it's own, Mayers seems like a guy to help them compete now, doesn't really add doodle squat to rebuilding. Unless you play him on the top 6, of course. That'd help with the 09 draft picks.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
  #19
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see it as a smart move for Toronto, they have nowhere near the depth of youth the Habs have and they need all the picks they have...unless they are trading some of their vets for extra picks, even at that they desperately need all their picks...but I'm happy for them, they don't seem to be straying from 10 more years of mediocrity.
What's Toronto's checking line? I mean, they weren't that far out of the playoffs. And they only had goaltending in the 2nd half, and some other fairly significant injury-and-performance surprises. They almost got back in the playoff race even still. Mayers is a solid player with a couple of very affordable years on his contract. He might even be a home-towner who will stay on past that deal. The move makes their team better, period. That's the goal of a smart team, it's not a mediocre move at all. It's not impossible that their team could be ahead of us in the standings next season, so I wouldn't want to try getting too smug about their mediocrity. The NHL has become a very volatile race to predict.

If nothing else, Mayers is going to be more valuable at the trade deadline this season than he was right now. Maybe they flip a 3rd rounder in an average draft into a high 2nd in the 2009 draft. If it comes to that. The bottom line is they bought low. Whether they just take the advantage that gives them on the ice or whether they subsequently sell high, they're making a good move and will come out ahead on this one.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
  #20
BigHab*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Jamal Mayers Traded to Leafs

Reported on NHL.com that St. Louis has traded Mayers to the Leafs for the Leafs 2008 3rd round pick, 70th overall.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
  #21
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Honestly, why wouldn't Bob have made a move for this guy?

Looking at the two playoff series we played this was exactly the type of player we could have used.

Please Bob, be more aggressive!

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:29 AM
  #22
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,006
vCash: 500
fletch is not a building gm,

he is trade draft picks gm

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:29 AM
  #23
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
What's Toronto's checking line? I mean, they weren't that far out of the playoffs. And they only had goaltending in the 2nd half, and some other fairly significant injury-and-performance surprises. They almost got back in the playoff race even still. Mayers is a solid player with a couple of very affordable years on his contract. He might even be a home-towner who will stay on past that deal. The move makes their team better, period. That's the goal of a smart team, it's not a mediocre move at all. It's not impossible that their team could be ahead of us in the standings next season, so I wouldn't want to try getting too smug about their mediocrity. The NHL has become a very volatile race to predict.

If nothing else, Mayers is going to be more valuable at the trade deadline this season than he was right now. Maybe they flip a 3rd rounder in an average draft into a high 2nd in the 2009 draft. If it comes to that. The bottom line is they bought low. Whether they just take the advantage that gives them on the ice or whether they subsequently sell high, they're making a good move and will come out ahead on this one.
Sneaking into 7th or 8th place to make the playoffs won't fix the huge problems that franchise has. As long as they don't stop trading away draft picks and drafting poorly they will continue to be an NHL doormat.

They have to take a step back to take 2 forward, that also includes buying out or trading a few fat cat veterans and letting Sundin walk...though he may walk anyways, from what I hear he is not keen on coming back or taking a home town discount. They need to ADD early picks, not trade them away.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
  #24
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,006
vCash: 500
the way i look at, the leafs bite

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
  #25
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Honestly, why wouldn't Bob have made a move for this guy?

Looking at the two playoff series we played this was exactly the type of player we could have used.

Please Bob, be more aggressive!
I can think of 3 reasons why not...like I said I like the player but maybe he was not the fit here...

1-they already have Begin Lapierre Kotsopoulos Chipchura and Stewart in that mold so why trade a pick for a slight upgrade on Lappy and Chips.

2-they want an offensive 3rd line so he'd be playing 4th

3-Toronto gave up their 3rd, in order to outbid them the Habs would have needed what, a 2nd or 3rd plus 7th? Makes no sense the way Timmins uses the picks.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.