HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

per Strickland, Mason to the Blues

Old
06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

vCash: 500
per Strickland, Mason to the Blues

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15759

shocking

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Good deal. I like it. It brings our veteran back up for next season. You guys can resign Ellis and have Rinne as your back up since he's got a one way deal next season. Good deal.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Good deal. I like it. It brings our veteran back up for next season. You guys can resign Ellis and have Rinne as your back up since he's got a one way deal next season. Good deal.
Mason is about as good a backup as there is in the league, and shines when your goalie goes down for extended periods(which Legace is a risk for)

That said...that's a HUGE contract for a backup goalie.

Old
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
predfan24

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Ok OK I am happy. I never thought in a million years we would be able to move Mason and his salary. Much less to a division rival. hahah. What are the blues thinking? This must mean Ellis is coming back for sure. I'm still in a state of disbelief.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Ok OK I am happy. I never thought in a million years we would be able to move Mason and his salary. Much less to a division rival. hahah. What are the blues thinking? This must mean Ellis is coming back for sure. I'm still in a state of disbelief.
'Man we need a back up. Remember all those nights Chris Mason shut us down. Man I wish we had a back up that could do that.'

"HEY NASHVILLE, 4th rounder for Mason?"

"SURE"

'There we go.'

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
'Man we need a back up. Remember all those nights Chris Mason shut us down. Man I wish we had a back up that could do that.'

"HEY NASHVILLE, 4th rounder for Mason?"

"SURE"

'There we go.'

Did you watch him last year? The year before that he played behind a elite team. I was afraid his contract was really gonna handcuff us the next two years. 3 Million is ALOT for a backup. I thought he was unmoveable. If he comes around then yeah this a great deal for you guys. However that is far from a slam dunk. I'd say it is 50/50 he ever posts the numbers he posted in 06-07.

After this deal and acquiring a 5th rounder for Hordi's RIGHTS. I think it's fair to say Poile is GOD.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
PredsMan

I'm wondering what kind of dirt Poile has on Davidson & Co. hehe

I'll miss Chris' presence, but not his play.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM
predhead1

More than anything, we have to be happy that Mason's $3.0m is no longer on the budget. I would like to think we actively use that space to now pursue a top forward (or at least to speed things along with Weber), but at least the subtraction half of the equation is done.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Mase is a true class act. However, I am happy to have his contract off of the books and a 4th rounder is well worth getting rid of $3m.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:49 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Great deal for both sides, truly.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

They gave up relatively little for probably the best backup goalie in the league. Chris should be a good split-starter with Legace (which is where he has performed the best). This is good for our cap situation and goalie situation, but it is not good for us in terms of helping our competition.

06-20-2008, 09:58 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
They gave up relatively little for probably the best backup goalie in the league. Chris should be a good split-starter with Legace (which is where he has performed the best). This is good for our cap situation and goalie situation, but it is not good for us in terms of helping our competition.
I don't think Mason can play in a split-situation. He showed that this year. I do agree that he's the best backup in the league, but I also think that he's about 1.5 million dollars overpaid. I read that he's making more than Legace...that's absurd.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
It is indeed strange that Poile sent him within the division. It's weird that no one else would want a superior back up goalie. I guess the pricetag factors in.

let's take that extra 3 mil and put it towards a Brian Rolston contract

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
It is indeed strange that Poile sent him within the division. It's weird that no one else would want a superior back up goalie. I guess the pricetag factors in.

let's take that extra 3 mil and put it towards a Brian Rolston contract
I think theyd idn't care who would give them a pick, as long as the deal went through.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think Mason can play in a split-situation. He showed that this year. I do agree that he's the best backup in the league, but I also think that he's about 1.5 million dollars overpaid. I read that he's making more than Legace...that's absurd.
It is absurd. Still, remember that last year he wasn't a split starter - he was THE starter until Ellis took it from him. The year before he was essentially the split-starter due to injuries and excellent play. I would say he will get 30-35 games with the Blues which is close to a split.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
lstcyr

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...02/1002/SPORTS

confirmed

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks

Here's a TSN link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2412...headlines_main

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Eklund's latest "blog" has us interested in Cheechoo.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Eklund's latest "blog" has us interested in Cheechoo.
ugh ... god please let that not be true

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:08 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
ugh ... god please let that not be true
What are his numbers sans Thornton? In other words, what numbers would you expect from him as a Predator?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What are his numbers sans Thornton? In other words, what numbers would you expect from him as a Predator?
his numbers AND games played per season have gone down since his fluke season 37 goals scored & 69 points (76 games) 2 seasons ago & 23 & 37 points (69 games) last season

Old
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
dulzhok

Wow. Hard to believe.

Props to Poile. Mason had a terrible year his first as a true starter, and then his 6 million dollar extension kicks in. Can't believe we were able to get a 4th for him. I was expecting (hoping) for a buyout.

Then, we sign Ellis a great rate (nearly back-up money). Lets hope Ellis can continue his spectular play down the stretch. If not, well, he can be our back-up and it won't kill us.

This is the first time in a while I've been happy with Poile.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
his numbers AND games played per season have gone down since his fluke season 37 goals scored & 69 points (76 games) 2 seasons ago & 23 & 37 points (69 games) last season
His last season was incredibly Hartnell-esque. And I would tend to believe that is more a long the lines of what to expect from him without one of the league's greatest setup men feeding him. But his cap hit is only 3 mil or so a year for the next 3 years

If we don't end up giving up a whole lot, it might be an interesting gamble. Lord knows he'll likely never recreate his 50+ goal game but if he did pot 30 goals, he would be a nice addition.

Which leads me back to my question, with Legwand or Arnott as his center, what do you think his numbers are as a Pred? Because those numbers relative to what we give up AND relative to his $3 mil a year cap hit are what determines that this is a good deal.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
His last season was incredibly Hartnell-esque. And I would tend to believe that is more a long the lines of what to expect from him without one of the league's greatest setup men feeding him. But his cap hit is only 3 mil or so a year for the next 3 years

If we don't end up giving up a whole lot, it might be an interesting gamble. Lord knows he'll likely never recreate his 50+ goal game but if he did pot 30 goals, he would be a nice addition.

Which leads me back to my question, with Legwand or Arnott as his center, what do you think his numbers are as a Pred? Because those numbers relative to what we give up AND relative to his $3 mil a year cap hit are what determines that this is a good deal.
Cheechoo's Game by Game Log

Joe Thornton's Game by Game log

Old
06-20-2008, 01:20 PM
lugnut76

I would be very happy to see the Predators pursue Cheechoo. We have been crying for a legit top six forward and he fits that bill. He may not regain the 50 goal form but how many potentially aquireable active players have ever scored 50 in a season. I would live with adding 30 goals per year, given the cost isn't too high.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote