HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey/Timmins meet the press at 4 pm (recap inside)

Old
06-19-2008, 08:44 PM
HF-Addict

vCash: 500
Friday just got a whole lot more exciting. I'm setting myself up for more disappointment!!!

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 08:45 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
funny how things can change in a short period of time. a year ago hab fans would be leaping for joy with the thought of getting marleau. think of it as getting him cheaper
Last year he was getting paid $4.5 million... now he has a contract paying him over $6 mill a year after he had a pathetic season.

He is overpaid considering he's a 55-60 point guy without Thornton.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:11 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Friday just got a whole lot more exciting. I'm setting myself up for more disappointment!!!
lol. SO true.

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I still want Eric Cole.
THe Habs may have a younger, fresher Erik Cole in a couple of years. His name is Max Pacioretty.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
znk

Wow....
Quote:
Gainey looking to trade for proven offense on draft day
That's not what he said....

He was asked what the team needs and he said that in net and on D he thought the team was ok. He said they need to find a forward. But he wasnt talking specificaly about a trade on draft day. He was talking in general...now, on draft day, as a UFA. Whatever the opportunity is. I cant believe how easily people distort what is said.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
BeliveauFan4ever

Pascal is 100% correct. We do not have enough guys who drive to the net - consistently - to pick up the ugly goals.

In fact, that's part of the reason we sputtered against Boston and later Philly, though Saku's return vs Boston showed him to be willing to drive to/buzz around the net and maybe score - or maybe get killed.

No way we can deal Max P. In fact, I think we should look to build a line entirely of big guys...Pacioretty, Chipchura and ___________ . A banging line that can also score.

We aren't rebuilding, but we aren't *that* close, yet.

Let's be honest, and let's be patient. Better Bob deals from the Pollock Playbook than the Milbury Manual.

BeliveauFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounds919293 View Post
Pascal is 100% correct. We do not have enough guys who drive to the net - consistently - to pick up the ugly goals.

In fact, that's part of the reason we sputtered against Boston and later Philly, though Saku's return vs Boston showed him to be willing to around the net and maybe score - or maybe get killed.

No way we can deal Max P. In fact, I think we should look to build a line entirely of big guys...Pacioretty, Chipchura and ___________ . A banging line that can also score.

We aren't rebuilding, but we aren't *that* close, yet.

Let's be honest, and let's be patient. Better Bob deals from the Pollock Playbook than the Milbury Manual.
Not even for a guys like Morrow or Doan?

Old
06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
THe Habs may have a younger, fresher Erik Cole in a couple of years. His name is Max Pacioretty.
I don't have any problem what-so-ever with having both.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
BeliveauFan4ever

We get a chance at either of those guys I'd want Bob involved and listening.

It's "The Price" that would worry me. Talk of trading Max P. worries me. Ditto for McDonagh. We need more than Doan or Morrow...we're not just one player away.

I think we're two D and three forwards away at the moment, but I'm just a fan (and one who thanks the Heavens we are now in Perennial Playoff Mode). The memories of being a Draft Lottery team are still too fresh.

I want a base built that sees Les Canadiens threatening to win the conference and/or The Cup for the next 15-20 years. Gainey has put blocks in place that now make that a legit possibility. Ways to go, yet, however.

BeliveauFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Ottawa interested in Streit's rights
To Ottawa:
Streit
Higgins
1st in 2008

To Montreal
Alfie

Its fun to dream!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
sampollock

wow,

for years i have waited to hear the talk i am hearing now....

bob the bell rings, are you going to answer it.

i feel bob, is getting a guy, we have not touched on.

wait and see.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wow....

That's not what he said....

He was asked what the team needs and he said that in net and on D he thought the team was ok. He said they need to find a forward. But he wasnt talking specificaly about a trade on draft day. He was talking in general...now, on draft day, as a UFA. Whatever the opportunity is. I cant believe how easily people distort what is said.
While some, including myself, may be reading too much into things; its not that irrational. Gainey isn't going to come out and tell you he's in heavy talks with San Jose for Marleau. What do you expect. He speaks in riddles on a normal day.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I think our defence was a problem, but don't you dare tell that to the Josh Gorges lovers...
The problem wasn't Gorges play vs Philly....

Gorges was our best defenceman IMO in the philly series.

The problem is that if Josh Gorges is your best D in a series thats not a good sign.

Markov, Komi, and Hammer need to be our top 3 defence....

There is a saying; Your best players need to be your best players in order for your team to have success.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The problem wasn't Gorges play vs Philly....

Gorges was our best defenceman IMO in the philly series.

The problem is that if Josh Gorges is your best D in a series thats not a good sign.

Markov, Komi, and Hammer need to be our top 3 defence....

There is a saying; Your best players need to be your best players in order for your team to have success.
but...but... wasnt Gorges the Captain of his team in Kelowna..?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
While some, including myself, may be reading too much into things; its not that irrational. Gainey isn't going to come out and tell you he's in heavy talks with San Jose for Marleau. What do you expect. He speaks in riddles on a normal day.
Exactly why he wouldnt go out and say he was going to make a trade at the draft. That's just ridiculous.

Old
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Exactly why he wouldnt go out and say he was going to make a trade at the draft. That's just ridiculous.
He opening said they came to Ottawa looking to deal. He's hinting at a centre and Maguire (take it for what it's worth) reports Montreal is in talks for a forward from the West. I'm not saying it's 100% going to happen, but I can understand peoples reasoning.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
More news:

Dandenault not being bought out. Good move IMO, we already have enough cap space this summer. No need to hurt next year's cap space with a useless ~600 K wasted on Dandenault. Surely we can trade him or just waive him in the fall and some team will claim him for free or at half price.

Pacioretty going back to Michigan for a 2nd year. Told you guys!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS
Gainey said "should" not "will".

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I'm starting to feel some expectations coming in....I'll be let down again

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounds919293 View Post
I'm getting a little tired of these explanations. I don't really think it was that much of a factor, considering. It's funny because Philly really didn't drive to the net anymore than Montreal did. They couldn't, because they didn't have the puck enough to do it. The problem is that when they took a low-percentage deflection shot, it went in at a very high percentage. Montreal's didn't, nor did their clear-cut open-net chances, breakaways, and numerous opportunities.

Montreal should have routed Philly if they'd converted their chances. Philly should never have scored as many goals as they have, either, if it weren't for some ungodly puck luck. After game 2 everyone thought Montreal would win handily if they kept playing like they had, yet they did even better and still lost.

Montreal lost because they couldn't put pucks in empty nets (which driving to the net would not have changed) and because RJ Umberger couldn't take a shot without it deflecting in somehow. Philly being "more physical", "driving to the net", or Montreal's lack thereof, have nothing to do with it. Goaltending had something to do with it but much less than people think, and it's more about Biron than Price (who was victimized by the silliness). Montreal's skaters dominated Philly's, and the ancillary statistics (shots, Corsi, etc) support that -- but they just couldn't finish.

The explanation is something people really don't want to admit somehow, maybe because they don't want to admit playoff games, even series, can hinge that way. People apparently don't want to admit Montreal lost their scoring mojo -- their puck luck, really -- at a crucial juncture because it'd be called "making excuses", so they make excuses not to admit it.

"They didn't drive to the net enough"? Montreal created WAY more than enough chances to win all five games the way they did play. Driving to the net would have had at best an small increase in the quality and number of chances... which the Habs would no doubt have whiffed on, too, given the way they were shooting. It might have helped more against Boston, actually, who were a much better team than Philly in the playoffs.

Montreal struck more posts (7-2, was it?), didn't get the deflection goals that the Flyers did on at least as many opportunities, and couldn't bury their 'clean' chances despite generating many more of those than their opponents. That's why they lost.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Pascal

MathMan, you're right in most of what you said but the idea that the Habs lack grit and banging forwards who can score is not a new one nor is it based solely on the series against Philly. Against Boston we had a TON of problems creating space for our forwards and the fancy plays we tried did NOT work because they knew we relied on nice passes and neutral zone speed to get things done. We did not have B or C options in our offensive game.

It's fine to have a team based on skill and speed, but you also need to be able to get the puck in the net in other ways.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I'm starting to feel some expectations coming in....I'll be let down again
Same here

I'm already expecting the "We tried hard to get X player but unfortunately we couldn't reach an agreement with Y team because of Z reason" speech from Bob. It seems that the same scenario is repeating it self at every trade deadline and every draft/July 1st frenzy

That said , expect the unexpected !!!!!

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:18 AM
BLONG7

BG has admitted that this weekend, along with July 1st he is going to be a PLAYA!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Sadly, it would probably be Koivu as the 3rd line centre, or moved to wing.

If we sign a big centerman like Sundin....we will have to lose a guy like Plekanec. Gainey said that he is thinking of keeping Smolinski and Lapierre is already signed so that would give us our 4 centermen with Sundin and Koivu as our top 2.

We'll see what happens I guess!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Puckhead58*

I really want to sign Sundin!!!! He would be an awesome player to sign, he would help the team score and he would provide excellent leadership too.

Then, if we were able to sign a guy like Eric Cole to play the wing since Ryder will be gone, we would be set. We would have signed 2 big players who can handle the physical play and put points on the board.

My lines would look like this....

Higgins - Sundin - Kovalev
Cole - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn - Lapierre - Latendresse
Begin - Smokes - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Boullion

Dandenault would be gone via buyout, trade or waivers.
If we go after Sundin before July 1st we would have to trade guys like Plekanec and Streit to the Leafs along with some minor leaguers and maybe picks.....thats why they aren't in my lineup. Then we just sign Erik Cole as a free agent. We could also add another cheap veteran defencemen instead of promoting O'Byrne to a full time player just yet.
If we are going to make a run for the cup in the Centennial year....we'll need to sign good veteran players who are proven in the NHL and forget about our young players for a season.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Habitants

for me id target jokinen.
the price has been stated at 2 roster player/good prospects and a 1st.

id offer Max pac+grabo+1st or fisher even instead of grabo

then sign selanne.

imagine:

A Kostisyn--Plekanec--Kovalev
Jokinen-- Koivu-- Selanne
Latendresse-- Higgins-- S Kostisyn
Begin-- Lapiere-- kostopo
Chips

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote