HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Dolan question

Old
06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
mike14

vCash: 500
A Dolan question

I'll admit that I don't know much about the team's owner, but why is there so much hate for him? Is it a TV and ticketing thing, has he done stuff to screw over the fans before or what?
From my point of view (far removed from everything) he seems to have a hired a 'hockey guy' in Sather and given basically a blank cheque which seems about the best thing a team's owner can do.
Just curious.....

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'll admit that I don't know much about the team's owner, but why is there so much hate for him? Is it a TV and ticketing thing, has he done stuff to screw over the fans before or what?
From my point of view (far removed from everything) he seems to have a hired a 'hockey guy' in Sather and given basically a blank cheque which seems about the best thing a team's owner can do.
Just curious.....

You say Hockey Guy...I say a relic of the old days and old ways of thinking.

You say an open check book is a good thing (so did the relic before he came to NY) and I point out to his colossal failure as this teams GM prior to being financially constrained by the cap.

As for Dolan, the basis upon which he fired Neil Smith (a guy who won the cup in NY) was not also applied to Sather (piss poor team performance and horrible asset management and poor drafting)

I would have felt better with Neil Smith manning the rebuilding efforts than with Sather. Neil Smith was (I believe) a major contributor to the drafting of the Wings before being hired as the NYR GM. Alot of the Wings success during the mid-90's had alot to do with his input and I believe he would have done a better job than Sather has done.

As it is, with the early 1st round picks that Sather has had, he's shown that he's not well versed on today's players and if we want to blame the scouting director that's fine as well, but the ultimate decision is Sather's as it is his vision that the team is constructed.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
You say Hockey Guy...I say a relic of the old days and old ways of thinking.

You say an open check book is a good thing (so did the relic before he came to NY) and I point out to his colossal failure as this teams GM prior to being financially constrained by the cap.

As for Dolan, the basis upon which he fired Neil Smith (a guy who won the cup in NY) was not also applied to Sather (piss poor team performance and horrible asset management and poor drafting)

I would have felt better with Neil Smith manning the rebuilding efforts than with Sather. Neil Smith was (I believe) a major contributor to the drafting of the Wings before being hired as the NYR GM. Alot of the Wings success during the mid-90's had alot to do with his input and I believe he would have done a better job than Sather has done.

As it is, with the early 1st round picks that Sather has had, he's shown that he's not well versed on today's players and if we want to blame the scouting director that's fine as well, but the ultimate decision is Sather's as it is his vision that the team is constructed.

other than staal blackburn and maybe korpikoski our first round picks seems to be not that good. from when sather took over our first round picks were: Blackburn, Jessiman, Montoya, Korpikoski, Staal, Sang, Cherepanov. only ones to make NHL on a consistant basis was Blackburn b4 he got hurt and Staal. Korpikoski should be on the team and Jessiman maybe if injuries to Orr happen. Sang and Cherepanov are from 1-3 years away.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
This is about Dolan. I'd say it has almost nothing to do with hockey ops. Dolan is widely known to be highly paranoid and a total ****** monkey. And an entitlement baby.

But I still think he'll be more hated for what he's done to the Knicks. At least he meddles way less with the Rangers and Liberty...

Old
06-20-2008, 10:48 AM
ap215

Dk has it right Dolan is a paranoid owner.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I don't see enough reasons to HATE Dolan either. A lot of big business guys are douches, it's to be expected. I just know that I'd rather him, a guy who gives complete free reign to the GM rather than Toronto's over controlling, know-nothing group. You're more likely to ruin a franchise be trying to do too much as an owner, rather than just letting a hockey guy do his thing.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I don't see enough reasons to HATE Dolan either. A lot of big business guys are douches, it's to be expected. I just know that I'd rather him, a guy who gives complete free reign to the GM rather than Toronto's over controlling, know-nothing group. You're more likely to ruin a franchise be trying to do too much as an owner, rather than just letting a hockey guy do his thing.
Well, Dolan's also backed off a lot. You don't think think he had influence over the late 90s days? He influenced almost every one of those "high profile" signings.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Well, Dolan's also backed off a lot. You don't think think he had influence over the late 90s days? He influenced almost every one of those "high profile" signings.
Do you blame him? He had a lot of money, and wanted to put his stamp on the franchise, and win. It's unfortunate that the players he wanted to bring here didn't deliver. I'd also rather this type of guy than a cheap Charles Wang.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Do you blame him? He had a lot of money, and wanted to put his stamp on the franchise, and win. It's unfortunate that the players he wanted to bring here didn't deliver. I'd also rather this type of guy than a cheap Charles Wang.
How could anyone not blame him? He tried and failed how many times? How many years? If he tried once and failed and we lost 2 years or something, fine. Whatever. Don't do it again. BUT WE LOST A ****ING DECADE!!!

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Ask a Knicks fan. He not only let the team slip into disrepair, he let the team and executives destroy the integrity and reputation of the team.

While the Rangers side did a good job an insulating themselves from him, Cablevision and MSG are filled w/ a good number of infighting and unscrupulous workers. It is only tolerated because their leader is a spoiled 3 year old.

Unless the Rangers had an owner who was an outright thief, with the type of revenue the Rangers pull in (ticket sales and TV rights), they would always have a complete, to the cap budget.

I can't fault Dolan for always spending, but the Rangers mean more to me than a rich owner. It's tradition and integrity, and it starts from the top. No one would want Chris Simon on this team, so we shouldn't want Dolan either.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote