HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Update: RDS - Avery and Straka will not be Re-signed (Post #190)

Old
06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
maybe he is going to make a big trade....
The article really does lead us to believe that, and really, it's going to be the only way to improve the team and maintain some kind of cap flexibility.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
slim399

I actually think Sather has done an above average job overall for us over the years... the only big complaint I have about him is exactally this, he is a moron when it comes to resigning his own players!

He has made it clear that he wants to resign both Avery and Jagr... so steer the fishing boat to shoar Glen, put the stoggy down, get off your arse and get the fing job done!

Put the full court press on both of them. Get Avery signed for 3 years 2.75 a year. Give Jagr his 4.9 we paid him last year with a couple mill worth of incentives and possibly an option year and be done with it!

Instead he will just sit there and sign them when he is good ready. In the mean time some dumb arse team like the leafs will offer Avery 4mill a season and then some team like montreal will offer Jags 14mill guaranteed over 2 years. And then Sather will go uh oh! We really want these guys! we better match those offers! and we are stuck with an extra 3-4 mill on our cap!

What are the other options? Huselius 4.5 mill? Langkow 5 mill? Rolston 5 mill? Ryder 3.5 mill? Hossa 8 mill? All with 4+ year longterm contracts! We are already stuck with dealing with Gomez and Drury's albatross contracts you really want to stick one of these in the mix?

Jags and Avery have proven themselves in New York. They are fan favorites and their short term deals will make it an easy transition to when the Cherepanovs, Anisimovs, Bourrets are ready and proven.

Remeber last summer when Lundqvist's agent told Sather... lets get a longterm deal worked out now for something in the range of 4.75-5.5 a year? He even blantanly told Sather if you wait you are going to end up paying more! What did Sather do... sat an his arse just like he is doing now, waited it out and ended up paying 6.8. Man that extra mill and half worth of cap space sure would be nice to have for the next 7 years.

Get it done!

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm pretty much "meh" on the entire free agent class.
You and me both.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The article really does lead us to believe that, and really, it's going to be the only way to improve the team and maintain some kind of cap flexibility.
Who's he going to trade? Drury? Gomez? Those are really the only guys that it'd be worth to trade right now, and I'm not sure how many takers there would be.

Unless he's going to try trading some prospects for a unproven but promising young player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Unless he's going to try trading some prospects for a unproven but promising young player
That was what I was thinking. And by saying "prospects" I wouldn't necessarily rule out some of the younger roster players either.

Old
06-20-2008, 09:49 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
I actually think Sather has done an above average job overall for us over the years... the only big complaint I have about him is exactally this, he is a moron when it comes to resigning his own players!

He has made it clear that he wants to resign both Avery and Jagr... so steer the fishing boat to shoar Glen, put the stoggy down, get off your arse and get the fing job done!

Put the full court press on both of them. Get Avery signed for 3 years 2.75 a year. Give Jagr his 4.9 we paid him last year with a couple mill worth of incentives and possibly an option year and be done with it!

Instead he will just sit there and sign them when he is good ready. In the mean time some dumb arse team like the leafs will offer Avery 4mill a season and then some team like montreal will offer Jags 14mill guaranteed over 2 years. And then Sather will go uh oh! We really want these guys! we better match those offers! and we are stuck with an extra 3-4 mill on our cap!

What are the other options? Huselius 4.5 mill? Langkow 5 mill? Rolston 5 mill? Ryder 3.5 mill? Hossa 8 mill? All with 4+ year longterm contracts! We are already stuck with dealing with Gomez and Drury's albatross contracts you really want to stick one of these in the mix?

Jags and Avery have proven themselves in New York. They are fan favorites and their short term deals will make it an easy transition to when the Cherepanovs, Anisimovs, Bourrets are ready and proven.

Remeber last summer when Lundqvist's agent told Sather... lets get a longterm deal worked out now for something in the range of 4.75-5.5 a year? He even blantanly told Sather if you wait you are going to end up paying more! What did Sather do... sat an his arse just like he is doing now, waited it out and ended up paying 6.8. Man that extra mill and half worth of cap space sure would be nice to have for the next 7 years.

Get it done!
any chance of sather gives avery some type of incentive type deal, i know it wont happen cause he aint a star type player but u never know

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Who's he going to trade? Drury? Gomez? Those are really the only guys that it'd be worth to trade right now, and I'm not sure how many takers there would be.

Drury/Gomez for Malkin deal going down? Imagine a Malkin + Cherepanov line. Or dear lord.

Quote:
That was what I was thinking. And by saying "prospects" I wouldn't necessarily rule out some of the younger roster players either.

I'd imagine thats the case as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the beloved Ranger youth moved to acquire a sniper for Gomez. However, I don't really see Slats giving up his first round pick unless he's pretty sure he can land a physical d-man in a deal or free agency. Carlson would be a really good use of that #20 pick IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Yah, something along the lines of Callahan or Girardi in addition to prospects and/or picks seems like a deal that might get you a younger but established player with a moderate salary that can play on the top 2 lines.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Levitate

Quote:
True, but I'm thinking only Dubinsky, Dawes, Staal, Tyutin, and Girardi really have value.

Out of those, I think the Rangers won't part with Dubinsky or Staal, but could part with the others for the right price. However, dealing defenseman gets sticky unless they're getting a better one back. Edit, forgot about Callahan, could see him going as well, but I don't think he has a lot of value yet.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
TheHotRock

when i read articles like this, it makes me think a bout how getting a guy like tavares or hedman would ease the pain of missing the playoffs.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
True, but I'm thinking only Dubinsky, Dawes, Staal, Tyutin, and Girardi really have value.

Out of those, I think the Rangers won't part with Dubinsky or Staal, but could part with the others for the right price. However, dealing defenseman gets sticky unless they're getting a better one back. Edit, forgot about Callahan, could see him going as well, but I don't think he has a lot of value yet.
I agree Staal is probably off the table. However, I can't say Dubinsky is untouchable. Especially now with Sather taking his US Government style "I won't negotiate with anyone" stance, I think Dubi might be on the table for the right package. Part of Dubi's appeal has to be his ability to play with Jagr. If he isn't playing with JJ, he probably winds up a 3rd line center on this team, while he appears to be capable of much more. He might be able to get us more than he's worth to us in that case.

Not that I want to see him moved, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I hope to god he has a plan, [/url]
And I fear that he does have a plan.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
I actually think Sather has done an above average job overall for us over the years
I'm a tougher grader than you. His body of work since he got here, in my opinion, absolutely sucks. Those that argue that his drafting has gotten better in the last few years might be proven right some day but so far he is a bust.

Without being able to get Jagr at a discount because of a money advantage, Sather might have missed the Playoffs every single year of his tenure.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
And I fear that he does have a plan.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I agree Staal is probably off the table. However, I can't say Dubinsky is untouchable. Especially now with Sather taking his US Government style "I won't negotiate with anyone" stance, I think Dubi might be on the table for the right package. Part of Dubi's appeal has to be his ability to play with Jagr. If he isn't playing with JJ, he probably winds up a 3rd line center on this team, while he appears to be capable of much more. He might be able to get us more than he's worth to us in that case.

Not that I want to see him moved, but I wouldn't rule it out.
On Dubinsky, there's not only the chance that JJ will be gone, but also that chance that Anisimov will challenge him for a roster spot. Worst case scenario, Dubi gets traded, Anisimov doesn't make the cut, you could always get a Straka-type player to do the job on the 3rd line.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I'm a tougher grader than you. His body of work since he got here, in my opinion, absolutely sucks. Those that argue that his drafting has gotten better in the last few years might be proven right some day but so far he is a bust.

Without being able to get Jagr at a discount because of a money advantage, Sather might have missed the Playoffs every single year of his tenure.
completely agree... his drafting has gotten better but he definately has not learned how to sign good contracts to players, and his cap management absolutely sucks... just look what type of position we are in b/c of shanny, and Drury.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Vitto79

I won't be surprised if Cheechoo becomes a Ranger OR Signing Campbell on D

Letting Shanny go was a given to me, same with Straka,etc.......Rozi can be replaced too

Avery I wanted back but meh if he goes he goes

Jagr will be back for sure

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
On Dubinsky, there's not only the chance that JJ will be gone, but also that chance that Anisimov will challenge him for a roster spot. Worst case scenario, Dubi gets traded, Anisimov doesn't make the cut, you could always get a Straka-type player to do the job on the 3rd line.
lets trade dubinsky who had a good rookie season, lets trade staal so when sang beats him out for a spot we can get something for him even if anisimov will challenge him for a spot, we can have both on the team with drury moving to wing

gomez
dubinsky
anisimov
betts

Old
06-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

If Sather wants to play this game that's fine but it's going to probably cost the Rangers more money, younger roster players, draft picks, and top prospects (Anisimov and Sangunetti??) Quite a price to pay...

I'm not totally against the Rangers going in another direction as long as the team is much better BUT if this is about tanking next season to get a lottery draft pick that's downright stupid..That's loser mentality...

I think if Sather is waiting for Avery and Jagr and everybody else to get offers and come back to the Rangers then he's in for a huge surprise...Look how fast last years free agent crop got snatched up...

I'll never understand letting either of these players go.. (if that's indeed what happens here)

Then again this is a Larry Brooks article and if history has taught us anything this article can be complete fiction....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Fletch

Perhaps Sather is pretty 'meh' too...

on this season's free agent class and is looking to future UFA classes and is saving up a bit, not wanting to tie these guys up for 3-4 year contracts. Or, perhaps he's going to package some of his 'assets' to attack the RFA market as it may be a bit more appealing. Again, who really knows at this point.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
lets trade dubinsky who had a good rookie season, lets trade staal so when sang beats him out for a spot we can get something for him even if anisimov will challenge him for a spot, we can have both on the team with drury moving to wing

gomez
dubinsky
anisimov
betts
We get it, you want to keep Dubinsky. Why is it whenever someone suggests trading him, you assume they want to trade Staal away as well?

That Sangs/Staal analogy is awful. They fill two very different roles on this team, in no way would they ever compete for a spot.

Frankly, I'd rather have a winger on the wing than a natural center on the wing.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
on this season's free agent class and is looking to future UFA classes and is saving up a bit, not wanting to tie these guys up for 3-4 year contracts. Or, perhaps he's going to package some of his 'assets' to attack the RFA market as it may be a bit more appealing. Again, who really knows at this point.
Honestly, I think this might actually be the way to go. I have always had dubious feelings about bringing Jagr back. I actually think that Avery might be more important to retain than Jagr.

I also think that the landscape in the East has changed. With young teams rapidly improving (Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington even Montreal), the Rangers are not in as good shape when it comes to competing then they were a year ago. What they do have is a solid foundation (in net and down the middle specifically). Maybe they do go young and take a step back this season while saving cap space.

06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
We get it, you want to keep Dubinsky. Why is it whenever someone suggests trading him, you assume they want to trade Staal away as well?

That Sangs/Staal analogy is awful. They fill two very different roles on this team, in no way would they ever compete for a spot.

Frankly, I'd rather have a winger on the wing than a natural center on the wing.
true but drury did play wing on the avs with sakic and forsberg so he is able to handle it.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:39 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

I don't see Drury as a natural center... I see him more as a natural winger... he came up in the league as winger for the Aves if im not mistaken. A natural centerman should have great vision, be a good passer, and can make players around him reach their potential.... Drury unfortunately doesn't make players around him really that much better, is not a good passer, and doesn't have the greatest on ice vision... he has a good shot, good at deflections, good and getting rebounds, and good defensively. IMO he is better suited and winger than Center.... but people always bring the faceoff crap into play... gomez is still great, and so is Dubi, and so is betts. from what I have heard Ani down the farm is good as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Honestly, I think this might actually be the way to go. I have always had dubious feelings about bringing Jagr back. I actually think that Avery might be more important to retain than Jagr.

I also think that the landscape in the East has changed. With young teams rapidly improving (Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington even Montreal), the Rangers are not in as good shape when it comes to competing then they were a year ago. What they do have is a solid foundation (in net and down the middle specifically). Maybe they do go young and take a step back this season while saving cap space.
I disagree with this point. I think personally if that's the route Sather is going to go then he is admitting the rebuild of 4 years ago was a complete failure. The Rangers for the most part have the guys to build around and to just take a step back and let other teams pass you by is crazy.

The Rangers don't need to rebuild again...They need to take the next step and signing Jagr, Avery, and two defenseman that fit the system and needs could make that happen....

How much will our centers be exposed if Jagr isn't getting the best defenseman matched up to his line? The time to let Jagr go isn't this season it's next season or the season after that.....Starting this all now this offseason is a recipe for disaster next season...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote