HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No fewer than 22 potential deals on the table for the Oilers heading into draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
  #26
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
If the Oilers could find a taker for Roloson they will do it. Clearing that off the cap would be a decent move if it is all Lowe can pull off.
Well Mason just got traded to St.Louis for a 4th this morning(apparently according to the Blues beat guy), so from that I think Roli's highest is maybe a 5th or 6th round pick. That said, I don't he's getting traded. No one needs a goalie that badly.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
  #27
Waterboy
Registered User
 
Waterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yellowknife
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You have to factor in the numbers game too though. Yes, Raffi is a bit overpaid and Mayers is a pretty good deal at 1.4M. However, one number should make Raffi more valuable than Mayers: Torres wil be 27 in October, Mayers will be 34!
That's true and Raffi has the offensive potential that could really draw a desperate club in, expecially someone like LA with a lot of high picks that wont be AS concerned about dealing one.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
  #28
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Roli for a 4th! Roli for a 4th!
Or a pb & j.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
  #29
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
Dear Kevin,

Enjoyed reading your comments in the Sun and Journal.

I look forward to the quote in September that says "I looked around and said gee...we have a lot of forwards here."

Sincerely,

slats432


...followed by "Nobody wants to make a deal in October, there's a 30-way tie for 1st place and everyone loves the makeup of their teams, not to mention salary cap flexibility is generally at its worst at the beginning of the season..."

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
  #30
Arcane
Registered User
 
Arcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
"We wouldn't mind adding a forward and a little bit of grit."


We should sign that Glencross guy.....wait.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
  #31
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
Jamal Meyers is the Player that Raffi should be with more offense. I think Toronto stole him for a 3rd. He's a huge role player (think Mike Grier but tougher) but was burried on a terrible team.

I'd call it a good deal to unload Raffi for a third and a second would be all out win for us. Anyone making the straight across deal for a 1st, even a late first, owes Lowe a serious favour.
There are some stupid GM's in the league, but not that stupid.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
  #32
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,595
vCash: 50
I wish that was in yesterday's paper. I know how sad this is going to sound, but I had trouble getting to sleep last night because I was so worried that Lowe was going to trade Pitkanen today. News of a contract would've been 10X better, but I'll take this.

Trading Pitkanen would be stupid.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
  #33
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
No elite talent? What are hemsky - Gagner and Pitkanen? are they just chicken feed? Do you watch Oil games at all?
They are an above average player, an 18 year old and an inconsistent defenseman with elite potential.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  #34
Giggli G
Registered User
 
Giggli G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
They are an above average player, an 18 year old and an inconsistent defenseman with elite potential.
lolz

Gagner is just an 18 year old. Yeah, I was pretty much the same as him when I was 18.

Great descriptions.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
  #35
OmegaTheory
Registered User
 
OmegaTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Paper Street
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
They are an above average player, an 18 year old and an inconsistent defenseman with elite potential.
You put that much better then I did.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:39 AM
  #36
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I wish that was in yesterday's paper. I know how sad this is going to sound, but I had trouble getting to sleep last night because I was so worried that Lowe was going to trade Pitkanen today. News of a contract would've been 10X better, but I'll take this.

Trading Pitkanen would be stupid.
I'm a diehard Oiler fan but all I can say is "get help" .

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:49 AM
  #37
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Lowe seems awfully confident in Pitkanen returning considering he's spent the last two and a half months NOT signing him.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
  #38
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
There are some stupid GM's in the league, but not that stupid.
I take shots at Torres almost every chance I get, but if I were a GM I might be willing to trade a low 2nd or high 3rd for him. A change of scenary has resurrected many a career. I think Torres has worn out his welcome with the Oilers, but I could easily see him turn things around somewhere else. It's definately worth the risk of a mid level draft pick, most of which never pan out in the NHL anyway.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:09 AM
  #39
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Lowe seems awfully confident in Pitkanen returning considering he's spent the last two and a half months NOT signing him.
Pitkanen's agent wants top dollars for his player, obviously. Lowe wants a one year cheap or a long term decent price contract. The agent comes in high, Lowe says no, let the market dictate his price, someone OS's him and he matches or accepts compensation.

Market price right.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
  #40
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Roli for a 4th! Roli for a 4th!
I would be happy if they traded Roli and a 4th for nothing.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
  #41
Scrodo Baggins
Registered User
 
Scrodo Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
There is no sense in trading Roloson for a garbage pick. He proved late last season that he still has some value to the team. If he can play 25 games then perfect. I just hope that he would be fine with starting as the back up. Last season should show him that he can still win back the starting role. In addition to this, 4 million for a starter and a back up is really not that bad.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
  #42
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I take shots at Torres almost every chance I get, but if I were a GM I might be willing to trade a low 2nd or high 3rd for him. A change of scenary has resurrected many a career. I think Torres has worn out his welcome with the Oilers, but I could easily see him turn things around somewhere else. It's definately worth the risk of a mid level draft pick, most of which never pan out in the NHL anyway.
If Torres gets less than a high-ish second, I'd be disappointed. 3rd rounders are thrown out for MAB, Mayers, Modry, etc. and Torres is at least good for 30-35pts on a third line role with 20 goal upside.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
  #43
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Also mentions Pitkanen is NOT being shopped.

Well, he was in Holmgren's face all day last year trying to get him, so it shouldn't completely surprise much that he won't be in people's faces to get rid of him. Last year in the hour before the draft he had to walk back and forth between his and the Flyers table about 20 times.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
  #44
taunting canadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Lowe seems awfully confident in Pitkanen returning considering he's spent the last two and a half months NOT signing him.
Hah. How many RFAs are there in the league who haven't been re-signed? Are all of them leaving their current team, or could it be that, every freaking season, different RFAs take different amounts of time to re-sign? Heck, we haven't even gotten to qualifying offers yet.

The fact that any particular RFA hasn't yet been re-signed before QO's means precisely nothing.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
  #45
OmegaTheory
Registered User
 
OmegaTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Paper Street
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodo Baggins View Post
There is no sense in trading Roloson for a garbage pick. He proved late last season that he still has some value to the team. If he can play 25 games then perfect. I just hope that he would be fine with starting as the back up. Last season should show him that he can still win back the starting role. In addition to this, 4 million for a starter and a back up is really not that bad.
But then we'll have three goalies.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
  #46
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well, he was in Holmgren's face all day last year trying to get him, so it shouldn't completely surprise much that he won't be in people's faces to get rid of him. Last year in the hour before the draft he had to walk back and forth between his and the Flyers table about 20 times.
There was a trade in place for the second overall - Lowe coveted Turris.

In retrospect, I'd not sure I'd take Turris over Gagner. Turris will be a better player, but I simply like Sam's character too much.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
  #47
Scrodo Baggins
Registered User
 
Scrodo Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
But then we'll have three goalies.
Who cares, the oilers are a better team with Roloson than with deslauriers.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
  #48
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,161
vCash: 337
Quote:
In retrospect, I'd not sure I'd take Turris over Gagner. Turris will be a better player, but I simply like Sam's character too much.
I'm not sure I agree. I didn't think Sam was the player he was when he was drafted, and I think a lot of people felt the same way. We'll see, although they're still my two favorite prospects from the 2007 class.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
  #49
Scrodo Baggins
Registered User
 
Scrodo Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Hah. How many RFAs are there in the league who haven't been re-signed? Are all of them leaving their current team, or could it be that, every freaking season, different RFAs take different amounts of time to re-sign? Heck, we haven't even gotten to qualifying offers yet.

The fact that any particular RFA hasn't yet been re-signed before QO's means precisely nothing.
Agree.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pitkanen was intentionally not signed. Look at the name of the thread, Lowe would have less than 22 offers had he already signed Pits. Just cause he's not signed doesn't necessarily he is being actively shopped.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:41 AM
  #50
OmegaTheory
Registered User
 
OmegaTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Paper Street
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodo Baggins View Post
Who cares, the oilers are a better team with Roloson than with deslauriers.
Probably, but they are also a expensive team and they still have three goalies, And I'm sure they want to keep developing JDD.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.