HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey/Timmins meet the press at 4 pm (recap inside)

Old
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
AlexMeth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
BG has admitted that this weekend, along with July 1st he is going to be a PLAYA!!!
déjà vu

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
If we sign a big centerman like Sundin....we will have to lose a guy like Plekanec. Gainey said that he is thinking of keeping Smolinski and Lapierre is already signed so that would give us our 4 centermen with Sundin and Koivu as our top 2.

We'll see what happens I guess!!!!
1) He is thinking of keeping Smoke depending on what else happens....
Smoke is only kept if we get a winger instead of sundin.... or Lappy can be moved to wing.....

2) No way we give up Pleks.... a young centre who has proven he can play on the #1 line.... what we don't have enough of on the farm as it is... to acquire Sundin... thats 1 step forward, 1 step back..... If we get sundin expect three offensive lines..

The more i think about it I want Sundin and Naslund.....

AKost - Pleks - Kovalev
Tender - Sundin - Naslund
Higgins - Koivu - SKost
Kostopolous - Chips/Smoke - Lapierre/Begin

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

The way I see it, we need a top line player (a center would be ideal) and a top 4 defenceman.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - (Sundin/Marleau) - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - (______)
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - (_______)
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Halak

I would guess that K.Chipchura, R.O'Byrne, M.Grabovsky and J.Halak are being offered to land one of these two needs and they will target 2 or 3 guys on the UFA to fill the other hole.

The 3rd line winger to play with Koivu could be alot of option. Through trades or UFA is possible or in our own organization.

FTR, I don't think we can land Olli Jokinen.

That is my guess.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Smoke is only kept if we get a winger instead of sundin.... or Lappy can be moved to wing.....

2) No way we give up Pleks.... a young centre who has proven he can play on the #1 line.... what we don't have enough of on the farm as it is... to acquire Sundin... thats 1 step forward, 1 step back..... If we get sundin expect three offensive lines..

AKost - Pleks - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - SKost

There's not enough icetime for all those players to produce what will be expected of them...fortunately, i've warmed up to the idea of going after Sundin for 1 or 2 years, especially if that means that we part ways with one of or both Koivu/Kovalev after this year.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
There's not enough icetime for all those players to produce what will be expected of them...fortunately, i've warmed up to the idea of going after Sundin for 1 or 2 years, especially if that means that we part ways with one of or both Koivu/Kovalev after this year.
As long as the team wins.... who cares if they are all at around 60pts....

there is 17-18 minutes a game for all three lines.... and then 6-10 minutes for the fourth line....

And our guys are fresh in the playoffs....

Naslund/Skost on the point on the PP units 1 and 2.... this means 4 forwards on the ice for the PPs....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Prediction:

They keep there 25th and trade a 2nd for two other picks.

Nothing will happen, its 5 years now, people still get excited.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
_DrMario_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Prediction:

Pretty much what I expect.

_DrMario_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
We get Crosby as a result of a clericle error...

Mark my words

Old
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Prediction:

Yeah, I just don't know how you can't notice the change in tone since the trade deadline. Theres a big difference between this year and say the summer of 2004. Am I not saying anything will happen, but I think Gainey can at least try, something that wasnt really possible before imo.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:59 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Yeah, I just don't know how you can't notice the change in tone since the trade deadline. Theres a big difference between this year and say the summer of 2004. Am I not saying anything will happen, but I think Gainey can at least try, something that wasnt really possible before imo.
Last summer we had Pierre Boivin promising a superstar signing on the FA market... even if Bob kept his lips shut at that time, it was obvious they we're trying to make a splash. And they weren't able to. Neither at the deadline this year.... The tone did change, but I can't help but share the skepticism.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

If Gainey keeps Smolinski I'm going to ****ing throw up.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
As long as the team wins.... who cares if they are all at around 60pts....
there is 17-18 minutes a game for all three lines.... and then 6-10 minutes for the fourth line....

And our guys are fresh in the playoffs....

Naslund/Skost on the point on the PP units 1 and 2.... this means 4 forwards on the ice for the PPs....
I don't care, neither do you or any real fans of the Habs...but players may see it differently, a guy like Sundin wants to play 20 + mins a game, same with Kovalev, Koivu wants his time as well, so would Naslund...

Old
06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
LastRide

If the Habs trade up its because they have some kind of deal in place with another team for a trade. The Habs are not moving up just to try and grab a better player. Smolinski is a waste of roster space and money. I hope they don't sign the turd.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Last summer we had Pierre Boivin promising a superstar signing on the FA market... even if Bob kept his lips shut at that time, it was obvious they we're trying to make a splash. And they weren't able to. Neither at the deadline this year.... The tone did change, but I can't help but share the skepticism.
I think he promised they'd go after a superstar...unfortunately, he can't guarantee that and neither can Gainey. But I think it's as clear as day to see that Gainey has been very, very agressive in trying to improve the Habs via free agency/trades for the past year or so. He can't force players to sign here, and he can't force GM's to accept his offers...

Old
06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
LastRide

You can't really blame BG. He is trying to improve this team. I give him credit for not giving up the farm to get a player.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:39 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
If we sign a big centerman like Sundin....we will have to lose a guy like Plekanec. Gainey said that he is thinking of keeping Smolinski and Lapierre is already signed so that would give us our 4 centermen with Sundin and Koivu as our top 2.

We'll see what happens I guess!!!!
Wow....that's the most I've laughed so far today.

Gainey will think of keeping Plekanec way before he thinks of keeping Smokes....
And he'll think of moving one to the wing way before moving pleks.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

AKost - Pleks - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - SKost

There is no way I want to give up Pleks....he is worth too much to give to the Leafs....thats for sure....but I just don't see Sundin coming cheap if a trade is made before the draft. Pleks has proved that he can play so his value is high....thats the only reason I mentioned it, but theres no way I want to see him go. Besides, if we have Sundin, Pleks and Koivu.....there won't be enough ice time to go around to keep all 3 guys happy....maybe getting rid of Koivu is the true solution. I would have no problem with getting rid of Koivu if it meant getting a TRUE leader like Sundin in a Habs jersey. I like Koivu, but his better years are behind him and we need a leader who will lead by his play on the ice, not by what he says in the dressing room.

I partially agree with your idea of getting Naslund. He might have a little gas left in the tank and he would likely come cheaper than a lot of other players. Maybe a fresh start in a new city will be all he needs to be more productive. He isn't the big tough winger that I would like to have, but he might be worth a shot if he was willing to come to Montreal and if we happened to land Sundin.....Naslund might want to come and join his fellow countrymen.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
BG has admitted that this weekend, along with July 1st he is going to be a PLAYA!!!
i have to admit this year im excited to see what Bob ends up with . He has chased guys and lost them to other teams for oh so long i bet he comes in this year with a bigtime score .GO HABS GOOOOOO!

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...3-c3f18b8ae6bb

Trade rumours abound at this annual gathering of general managers and personnel directors, and Gainey confirmed there are players available - at the right price.

"There are known names and there are good players who, depending on your need, can help your team," Gainey said.

------------------------------------------------------------------

When asked if he would prefer to add a player through a trade or free agency, Gainey said: "We're just trying to stay active. We're at the part of the cycle of building the team where we have younger players who are dynamic enough and allow us enough space to look at a $6 million-$7 million player if it was there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Gainey on not resigning Streit befre July1st

"Because he's in the unrestricted free-agent market and we want to play in that market, we don't want to arrive on July 1 and not have enough space in our budget or our cap to attract a player that's available."

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Uwey

Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to encourage Mats Sundin to decide his playing future before July 1.

In the past 24 hours the Montreal Canadiens were granted persmission by the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin's agent about the possibility of the 37 year old signing in Montreal.

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin's negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing.

It's too early to say whether or not the two Canadian teams will make that move as Montreals reluctance to give up any assets for the privilege to get to the Leafs captain may be based on his willingness to speed his decision making.

At this point Sundin remains uncertain as to whether he or not he will play....period, so the Canadiens attempt to get a head-start may turn out to be a fruitless exercise.

The Montreal Canadiens believed they were close to a deal to acquire Sundin at the trade deadline, however Sundin refused to waive his no-trade to accomodate that deal, or the potential for any other.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
We get Crosby as a result of a clericle error...

Mark my words
I think this means that an actual cleric would have to be involved.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote