HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We don't need a big UFA

Old
06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Goaltending sank us, but the belief is that Price will be much better now that he has experience under his belt...the team in general gained much needed experience.

That being said, a Sundin, Selanne or whoever would be great as long as it's not a bad contract.

It's true that Price had a poor series, but in addition the Habs couldn't score and they kept falling behind. The Caps took the Flyers to 7 games, and it wasn't because of Huet's goaltending. Ovechkin put the fear of God in the Flyers. The Habs don't even have Ovechkin's poor cousin. While the younger Habs as a group should be able to improve with more experience, there are talent ceilings on how high most of them can go.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
King Kovalev

I think we do. Lets say for example that we land Mats Sundin. It will not only improve your two first lines but also your third and fourth lines. Heres what I mean;
A.Kostitsyn. Koivu S.Kostitsyn
Latendresse Sundin Kovalev
Hggins Plekanec (??)
Lapierre Chipchura ( Kostopoulos, Begin etc.)
By doing this you put Higgins where I believe he belongs.(A good two way forward that can score about 20 goals a year) You instantly have one of the best or the best third line in the NHL. You finally get your big right-handed center aka mr.constant while Plekanec now falls on your third line You now have 3 lines that can play 15 + minutes per game and I think it would be very hard for any opposing coach to match these lines effectively . You instantly become a contender IMO.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So the way the Habs played against the Flyers was proof that the Habs don't need an upgrade at any position? OK, if that's what you think ...
I think that we lost because we were too young. Latendresse will get maturity and all our yougster too. Yes we have a lot of cap space, but if we sing a UFA like hossa at 8 millions a year for 4 years, who say that sergei kostitsyn wont ask for 5 millions? We may already pay 4 millions for AK , and if it's for it is surely not a multi year contract because I think that after a 80 points season wich is possible in his case he may ask for more. We wont have the money to sign all of our players if we spend for hossa ( I admit that I'm not a big fan of marian) . Ryan Malone would be a nice fit, but there aint much SUPER UFA this year.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
I think that most of you are exagerating the needs of a big UFA. At defense, we are really solid with Markov, Hamrlik , Komisarek, O'Byrne, Gorges and Valatenko. At foward, we are also really solid with Kovalev, Koivu, Pekanec, Kostitsyn and kostitsyn, Latendresse and maybe Perezhogin? Don't you think that we are already ok?

UMMMM didn't you watch the playoffs this year? Give your head a shake!!!!

We desperately need to add some size, grit and skill to our top 2 lines. We don't have enough forwards who are big enough to handle punishment in front of the net and still score goals. We need a guy like Ryan Smyth or Tomas Holmstrom who will take abuse in front of the net to provide a screen, tip the puck in or to score rebound goals. That is a big reason why we lost to Philly in the second round....we were too weak and small and not willing to take abuse in front of the net.

We are fine as far as defence goes. We have great defencemen on the team now and great defencemen coming up through the minors....so we don't need to sign any UFA defencemen.....but we could use a big centermen and a goal scorer to play on the right wing since Ryder likely won't be back.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Habs12max

Latendresse IS big enough, he just have to play more aggresive. If he train hard this summer, he can fill this role MORE than well. What is so good about Ryan Smyth and holmstrom anyway? We juste have to tell our big guy to stand in front of the net.It's latendresse's 3rd season, he will be good I'm sure. WE have to give him top 6 minute. Our top 6 is already full.

Old
06-19-2008, 05:04 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Latendresse IS big enough, he just have to play more aggresive. If he train hard this summer, he can fill this role MORE than well. What is so good about Ryan Smyth and holmstrom anyway? We juste have to tell our big guy to stand in front of the net.It's latendresse's 3rd season, he will be good I'm sure. WE have to give him top 6 minute. Our top 6 is already full.
Wow... do your homework

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:22 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
"Need" is dependent on your expectations. And on fate and the will of the fickle hockey gods, of course (but you can't do anything about them). So if your expectations are high, we "need" a big UFA.
Confu(sion)cius says.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Wow... do your homework
Holmstrom is wearing OVERSIZED equipement to obstruc the goaltender (Oversized shoulder pads) and ryan smyth is a warior but nothing exceptional way overated ( +/- of - 4 , played only 55 games and 37 points)

Old
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Holmstrom is wearing OVERSIZED equipement to obstruc the goaltender and ryan smyth is a warior but nothing exceptional way overated
It's not oversized and there are no rules against it. Holmstrom played an instrumental role on the Wings' PP and their Stanley Cup run. How is he overrated?

As for Smyth, that one's a mixed bag. He's certainly overpaid and oft-injured not to mention that he often lacks chemistry with his centers but he does play well with Stastny. When both Stastny and Smyth are on, they're a pretty lethal combo.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Habs12max

They even already mention it on NHL.com that it was oversized in an article about Holmstrom. And for ryan smyth, Iv'e really nothing against him but yeah as you said he is overpaid.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

I agree that Latendresse is a big guy and should be playing a more physical role on the team....but Tomas Holmstrom and Ryan Smyth are the type of players we need on our roster. Latendresse isn't a good enough player to do the things that Holmstrom and Smyth bring to a team.

Holmstrom is gritty, annoying and he is AWESOME in front of the net. He screens goalies, he can tip pucks in and he can take a beating and keeps going back for more.....who on our team can we say that about??? Ryan Smyth is getting older and he isn't the player he used to be with the Oilers, but its his style of game that I am interested in. He goes to the net and gets garbage goals. He screens goalies as well and can take a beating in front and around the net.

Old
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I agree that Latendresse is a big guy and should be playing a more physical role on the team....but Tomas Holmstrom and Ryan Smyth are the type of players we need on our roster. Latendresse isn't a good enough player to do the things that Holmstrom and Smyth bring to a team.

Holmstrom is gritty, annoying and he is AWESOME in front of the net. He screens goalies, he can tip pucks in and he can take a beating and keeps going back for more.....who on our team can we say that about??? Ryan Smyth is getting older and he isn't the player he used to be with the Oilers, but its his style of game that I am interested in. He goes to the net and gets garbage goals. He screens goalies as well and can take a beating in front and around the net.
My thoughts exactly. Lats will be a good player in this league, but if he wants to be a great player and score 30+ per year he has to get his nose dirtier. If he won't do it, we have to find someone who will.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
dutchy29

OK is not the goal of an NHL team, Last year we had a good team but ultimately didnt have a game breaker who could get us scoring in the second round. We need a big scoring center that can help lead this team and I think Gainey is looking.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
OK is not the goal of an NHL team, Last year we had a good team but ultimately didnt have a game breaker who could get us scoring in the second round. We need a big scoring center that can help lead this team and I think Gainey is looking.
I'm confused... you say this here... and then say you'll be ill if we sign Sundin in another thread....

Once he puts on the CH he's no longer a leaf... he's ours.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Lats will be a good player in this league, but if he wants to be a great player and score 30+ per year he has to get his nose dirtier. If he won't do it, we have to find someone who will.

Bingo....your bang on!!!

Tender is TOO tender. He needs to play mean and aggressive and start using his body to control the play when he is on the ice to make room for his linemates and like you said....if he won't do that, then we need to go out and find someone who will because thats one area we are lacking.

I like Latendresse and I think he has a lot of potential, but he is not a skilled forward who is going to make nice plays and score pretty goals and thats all he tried to do last year. He made the Habs roster a couple years ago because he done a lot of hitting and played aggressive in the pre-season....and now that he is on the team....he has stopped playing that style. Time to start being the big power forward he really is....thats the only way he will be any good to the Habs.

Old
06-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Lone Rogue

It's not about what you need, but what puts you over the top.

Pittsburgh didn't need Hossa, but Hossa put them over the top.

Detroit didn't need Brad Stuart, but Stuart put them over the top.

Dallas didn't need Brad Richards, but Richards put them over the top.

Etc.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
It's not about what you need, but what puts you over the top.

Pittsburgh didn't need Hossa, but Hossa put them over the top.

Detroit didn't need Brad Stuart, but Stuart put them over the top.

Dallas didn't need Brad Richards, but Richards put them over the top.

Etc.
Toronto didn't need Jamal Mayers but Mayers...

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Bingo....your bang on!!!

Tender is TOO tender. He needs to play mean and aggressive and start using his body to control the play when he is on the ice to make room for his linemates and like you said....if he won't do that, then we need to go out and find someone who will because thats one area we are lacking.
A cat is a cat. Someday people will learn that Latendresse will NEVER be mean and agressive 'cause it's not him. I really hope the Habs brass won't do like most people in here and stop wanting to change a guy and instead use his strengths and teach him what can be teach. You don't need to be mean and agressive to win our 1 on 1 battles and you don't need to be mean to put yourself in front of the net. Latendresse was playing a finess game in Juniors. Now he realizes that he's going to get his goals by doing those 2 things. He just need to learn that.

But he'll never be aggressive. People who wants Latendresse to be mean and aggressive actually wish he'd be somebody else....or can't wait to see what Pacioretty can do....

Besides, while I don't agree, doesn't seem that it's that much a priority to Gainey and Co. Sure it's find to be bigger and so on but from their own words, it's not their game. The Habs gams is speed and skill. It shouldn't be only that way and maybe they'll realize that while speed and skill can be the center of our game plan, you need to grit and the competitiveness to make room for our skill and speedy guys. And pretty sure they'll understand that soon enough....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I think that we lost because we were too young. Latendresse will get maturity and all our yougster too. Yes we have a lot of cap space, but if we sing a UFA like hossa at 8 millions a year for 4 years, who say that sergei kostitsyn wont ask for 5 millions? We may already pay 4 millions for AK , and if it's for it is surely not a multi year contract because I think that after a 80 points season wich is possible in his case he may ask for more. We wont have the money to sign all of our players if we spend for hossa ( I admit that I'm not a big fan of marian) . Ryan Malone would be a nice fit, but there aint much SUPER UFA this year.

Lats needs to be more consistent. He was benched in 4 of the 12 Habs playoff games. He scored 1 point in the 8 games he played. I suppose he can do much better but I hope it's soon. The Habs could use more production from him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Lats needs to be more consistent. He was benched in 4 of the 12 Habs playoff games. He scored 1 point in the 8 games he played. I suppose he can do much better but I hope it's soon. The Habs could use more production from him.
Not his fault Dandenault was playing so good that Latendresse got benched for him.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think that most of you are exagerating the needs of a big UFA. At defense, we are really solid with Markov, Hamrlik , Komisarek, O'Byrne, Gorges and Valatenko. At foward, we are also really solid with Kovalev, Koivu, Pekanec, Kostitsyn and kostitsyn, Latendresse and maybe Perezhogin? Don't you think that we are already ok?
Valentenko?..he hasn't played one NHL game yet. How is he going to make our D better? I don't expect him to make the team unless injuries happen. With Jorges/Bouillon/O'Byrne as our last pair, that makes 7Dmen already.

Kovalev just had his 2nd best season in his career, will he be able to have another great one?..
Perezhogin?..he's not coming back.
Koivu has been on the incline for a little bit..we'll see how he performs next year..
Latendresse hasn't made an impact on our team yet, will it happen next year?..Maybe..maybe not..we can't know.

There's a lot of question mark, pretty much everything has to go our way to have another great season like last year. We also can't afford to have one of our top players to have an injury. Can you imagine if Kovalev gets injured for 2months?..or Koivu?..

We have the money, we have the cap space, why wouldn't we want an impact player??..Name me one team that has won a cup without at least one impact player..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Toronto didn't need Jamal Mayers but Mayers...
Put them over the bottom

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote