HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks 2008 draft preview

Old
06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Blackhawks 2008 draft preview

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
salty justice

I don't deny the Hawk's organizational weakness at LW, but the author has forgotten about Martin Havlat on the left side.

That and I disagree with resigning Bourque as a no brainer, he is not yet signed and I'm not sure he will be. He has been a disappointment to most.

From everything I've read signs point to Hawk brass picking one of the top dmen if available or Beach otherwise. Our best young D are mostly Hawks at this point.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Teemu

Additionally, drafting based on need = ghey.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:44 AM
BrightFutures

I also don't really consider Toews a prospect any more and if he does then why isn't Kane on there also but to me they were both everyday NHL men 20 games into last years season

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
BrightFutures

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I don't deny the Hawk's organizational weakness at LW, but the author has forgotten about Martin Havlat on the left side.

That and I disagree with resigning Bourque as a no brainer, he is not yet signed and I'm not sure he will be. He has been a disappointment to most.

From everything I've read signs point to Hawk brass picking one of the top dmen if available or Beach otherwise. Our best young D are mostly Hawks at this point.
Havlat is a RW mainly

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:15 AM
lfchockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFutures View Post
I also don't really consider Toews a prospect any more and if he does then why isn't Kane on there also but to me they were both everyday NHL men 20 games into last years season
Basically, it's because of hf's prospect stipulations which requires a player to play 'x' number of games.

Kane is barely above that number and therefore he is no longer a prospect.
Because of injuries, Toews is barely below that number so he is still considered a prospect.

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. From what I have seen of Havlat, however, he primarily plays RW. With regard to re-signings, Ladd would definitely take priority over Bourque. Bourque would just be a good depth signing but if they can get better in the free agency market, so be it.

Kevin Hopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFutures View Post
HF's cut-off point is 65 games. Since Toews only played in 64 games last season due to injury, he is technically still a prospect. However, this will change when he plays in his first game next season. Kane has already surpassed the 65-game minimum, which is why he is a graduate of the prospect ranks.

Old
06-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Additionally, drafting based on need = ghey.
I agree that most teams look to draft the best available player, as opposed to trying to fill organizational needs. I just think it would be wise to pick up some young talent on the left side that they can develop over the years. BTW, I have seen Sweatt play and was really impressed with him. He is definitely their best prospect on the left side, which gives Chicago some hope at this position.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hopson View Post
I agree that most teams look to draft the best available player, as opposed to trying to fill organizational needs. I just think it would be wise to pick up some young talent on the left side that they can develop over the years. BTW, I have seen Sweatt play and was really impressed with him. He is definitely their best prospect on the left side, which gives Chicago some hope at this position.
I agree and If the best player avalible at #11 is a center the Hawks wont draft him. The Hawks will take a defensemen or a left winger this time, I'm hoping Boedker is on the board at #11, I know the Hawks wont take Mattias Tedenby just based on size. They took Kane last year there not going to draft another guy thats 5-8 150 like Tedenby, I wouldnt mind drafting Myers tho.

I would like to see the Hawks make a trade to get a 2nd round pick as well so we could draft David Toews.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If Tedenby is the best player available, you take him. If a center is the BPA, you take him. Would having another Patrick Kane on the roster really be such a bad thing?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If Tedenby is the best player available, you take him. If a center is the BPA, you take him. Would having another Patrick Kane on the roster really be such a bad thing?
The closest thing to a Patrick Kane in this draft talent wise is Stamkos or Filatov.

If it comes to that you might as well trade the pick which I think is quite possible because the Hawks are in a position to do so with the recent draft success we have had the last few years and the abundance of prospects we have.

I dont think big trades are out of the question.

We will find out in the next several hours.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I agree and If the best player avalible at #11 is a center the Hawks wont draft him. The Hawks will take a defensemen or a left winger this time, I'm hoping Boedker is on the board at #11, I know the Hawks wont take Mattias Tedenby just based on size. They took Kane last year there not going to draft another guy thats 5-8 150 like Tedenby, I wouldnt mind drafting Myers tho.

I would like to see the Hawks make a trade to get a 2nd round pick as well so we could draft David Toews.
I can see your point after taking Kane last year. However, Tedenby's stock has been rising and he is one of the most talented (offensively gifted) players in the draft. He also plays bigger than his size. As a result, depending on who is taken 1-10, he could be the best player available at #11. I don't think Boedker will be available to Chicago but crazier things have happened.