HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: RDS - Avery and Straka will not be Re-signed (Post #190)

Old
06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm thinking Sather may have wanted to get the media off his back & negotiate behind the scenes, not in public, also I would not rule out a big trade this weekend @ the draft.
I agree there could be a trade. But as far as getting the media off his back, when did Sather ever care about the media? He has always negotiated behind the scenes.

06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Synergy27

Guys, we're all overreacting a bit here. Signing Jagr and Avery isn't a priority because we already have their replacements ready to go:

Jagr = Jessiman

Avery = Jamtin

Seriously though, I really expect to see a HUGE trade that will re-solidify everyone's faith in Slats sometime this summer. Hopefully it comes tonight! So psyched for the draft!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

When you think about it, it makes sense.

There's several attractive Free Agents coming to the market on July 1st.

So it seems like a good idea to wait and see which players on his (Sather's) list, would be interested in being a Ranger.

He knows what he already has. With the exception of Avery, he has mostly aging, eroding, way past their prime Wingers. And a few shakey and jittery defensmen (Rozsival and Malik). Mara's already making too much for the role he's playing as Ranger.

If any of these guys truely want to come back, they'll be knocking on Glen's door after July 1st.

Hopefully with most of them, Glen won't answer the door.

Sather could play the open market and see if an upgrade any position is possible. If not, he can fall back on the guys who truely want to remain Rangers.

Otherwise, there will be second and third teer defensemen to replace the Maliks, Roszivals and Maras of the NHL world.

Seems like a smart move to me.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its a delicate balancing act though, because you don't want to be overpaying again to get 2 or 3 second tier guys, just to fill positions, OR left out to dry because you couldnt get anyone off the market and all the Ranger free agents retire or sign elsewhere.

What they need is a catalyst - one big move outside the team through trade or free agency to set up the rest of the moves they make. I think thats what their focus is now. A big defenseman or winger for Gomez.

I think you can target the defensman and get creative with Gomez's winger and not have to pay as much (through FA or trade) - a guy like Gionta who can skate, handle the puck and finish but you dont have to break the bank to get. Then start filling in the holes and see if a guy like Mara wants to come back (with a pay cut of course)

I doubt theyll be making a double splash like last July. They could be hinging on one guy with some other trades and minor moves mixed in.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
untouchable unless a top six, young centerman comes back in the trade. This team is short on centers (and wings) for that matter.

SoS - Sather admits to nothing. If he went the save route, he'd just cite economics in the new hockey era make it difficult to retain and attract star players. The scary part is that in the end, he may end up overpaying for a "top six" forward since this team currently has about two signed and he needs at least one more.

Sather had his window, with a 100 point scorer costing under $5MM against the cap, which bought him three years - and here we are now with a big question mark. There is a bunch of young assets stockpiled - let's see what he decides to do with them.
I hardly think this team is short on centers. Gomez, Drury and Betts are solidified on this team. Dubi is great, but AA is making huge strides in the AHL and could definitely make a push at spot on the 3rd line this year.

I think if Dubi gets moved, it'll be for a scoring winger for Gomez.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I gotta say....this makes me very nervous.

This could completely backfire on Sather if he can't get any of them resigned. And who's to say one of the other 29 teams won't offer ridiculous contracts to them?

We are throwing away and chance to come up with contracts with them before everyone else is able to call them.

Im nervous, but I i'm hoping Sather has something up his sleeve and he just isn’t fishing somewhere like he usually is around this time.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

This could completely backfire on Sather if he can't get any of them resigned. And who's to say one of the other 29 teams won't offer ridiculous contracts to them?
What if one of the 29 other teams do? If they offer a ridiculous contract, you let them go.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:13 PM
eco's bones

Some random thoughts:

Don't think Sather made all this up--he got consensus approval from Renney, Schoenfeld etc.--so I would think there would be a plan.

Rangers cannot compete with Avangard Omsk for Jagr as far as money. It seems unlikely that he'll sign with another NHL team--so it comes down to one or the other. If he wants to play for us I'm sure Glen will give him a good offer.

I'd like to have Avery back. Without Jagr or Shanny though it's more of a gamble. It may just be that Glen wants to be more careful not to overpay as he did IMO with Drury. 2 differences between this coming year and last year are 1) last years free agent market was much better--this years is underwhelming. 2) after last season the Rangers thought they were maybe a player or two away from competing for a championship. This years thoughts at least from posters here are mainly that we stay playoff competitive.

As for free agents--I'd be more inclined to target younger UFA's than older ones. Giving a 26-27 year old a long term contract is different than giving a 31-32 year old a long term contract.

On SoS's comment on our rebuild failing--I think maybe the rebuild needs more time. Some of the players we are talking about are still 20,21,22.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

We are throwing away and chance to come up with contracts with them before everyone else is able to call them.

Im nervous, but I i'm hoping Sather has something up his sleeve and he just isn’t fishing somewhere like he usually is around this time.
I'm nervous too.

I like the approach, but putting my faith in Sather is well, lets say... precarious to say the least.

Old
06-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

i still think we have to re-sign avery

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
bathgate

Fan 590 in Toronto is Allegedly quoting Avery that he would like a second stint in L.A. with Crawford gone

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think that would be admitting that the rebuilding was a failure. The failure is/was being reliant on two 35+ players to carry the offensive load.
Without Jagr (who i guess you refering too) where would we have been the past 3 years. That was one of the smartest things Sather did...Shanny on the other hand..well...i think my feelings are known...

Quote:
And rebuilding now is very different than it was pre-lockout. Especially when you have a core of good young players (and hopefully more on the way). Look at Philly this season. They went from last in the division to the ECF.
That's a very good point but my counter is the Rangers don't NEED to rebuild, they have the resources, cap space, and assets to improve on last years team...they do't need to rebuild for a year(s)

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Question To All

Is this offseason going to be a tipping point for Sathers career in NY?

We all blasted the guy for quite some time, and then he made the move to trade Leetch and others to start the "rebuild" putting more focus on the prospects. Since then the team hasnt been constructed flawlessly by any means, but they made the playoffs 3 straight years, arguably taking steps forward each year. (i would say a step back last season but i'll say that for arguments sake)

Now we are seeing another turning point so to say. Its a risk to let all the FA wait and not give offers to any of them. For whatever reason, whether Sather has something up his sleeve or not.

But if he comes through this, and sets up a better supporting cast for the core of the team (Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist, Stall) he helped set up - it could project a better future for this team (possibly even after he's gone) - or NOT.

Basically what i'm trying to say is we are at a crossroads.

Some of us are starting to say we are nervous.

There is swirling uncertainty around this team.

Could these next few months cement Sathers legacy (good or bad) as a Rangers General Manager?

Old
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
RinkOnEStreet

I think the Sean Avery era in New York has ended, and I believe it's a dark day for our hockey club.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Fan 590 in Toronto is Allegedly quoting Avery that he would like a second stint in L.A. with Crawford gone
Well it makes alot of sense because if it's not NY then LA is just as mainstream

See ya Sean , it was fun while it lasted...............

On the a different note, Jagr will resign people.......he won't go anywhere else and they will give him the cash

So let all the FA's go and sign Campbell and Orpik on D

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Is this offseason going to be a tipping point for Sathers career in NY?
Thats kind of a hard question to answer. I think any offseason could be a tipping point for a GM. This one is definitely going to be a big one, but unless by some chance Slats ends up with no impact trades or signings, I don't think he'll be judged any differently than he is now. Some people will like the moves, some wont. If he lets the situation get out of hand and we wind up with a team full of rookies, then he'll probably be in trouble.

However, Jagr has publicly stated that he wants to stay in NY. I think if Jagr walks, it'll be to Omsk. I think Slats whats to see what's what on July 1st before he commits to signing anyone.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:32 PM
bathgate

The idea is to win a Cup. I'm not interested in making the playoffs and then being shown the exit. Jagr, Staka, and Shanny have seen their better days. It's time to reinvest in the future even if it means taking one or two steps back. I've seen one Cup in almost forty years of holding season tickets. Guess I can wait another couple of years!

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury Fan View Post
i still think we have to re-sign avery
I agree.

This should get interesting.

At least we have some excitement for the next few days. After that, we have to wait till July 1st for some more Rangers-styled excitement and drama

Old
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Malkin, Datsyuk, Backstrom, and Briere all say hello. And along with those players I listed, their respective teams usually have at least another core player or two.
They can say hello or howdy-do or nice to see ya. Without the afore-mentioned players they would all have no chance of tasting the champagne. Yes, it's nice to have two very good players but in the end, without the cut above the rest guy a team is going nowhere.

Malkin might be a cog unto himself. The rest are emphatically not, in my opinion.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Slats whats to see what's what on July 1st before he commits to signing anyone.
Correct.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say he's able to get a Hossa. Or maybe pull off some kind of trade for Jokinen, without giving up Dubinsky or Staal. Then is able to sign either Orpik or Lilja.

At this point it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and sign Jagr to a resonable contract (incentive-laden) and have one hell of a first and second line punch. One, Two punch!

Of course this is a pipe dream and the chances are slimmer than slim.

But even if they get a guy like Hossa, add a guy like Cory Stillman (to a one or two year deal) and Orpik or Lilja; you have a major upgrade. Then see where you are with Jagr.

You just never know how things could play out.

I still think the Rangers need a winger like Malone in their lineup. Would be a difficult/expensive signing; but they need some size on the wing.

Old
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Just sign Avery. YOU HAVE TO SIGN HIM. His presence in relation to our winning record is not an intangible statistic that you can overlook.

And you HAVE TO SIGN JAGR. For the sole reason there is no one on our team as a winger that can match his production even when he doesn't come to play.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Without Jagr (who i guess you refering too) where would we have been the past 3 years. That was one of the smartest things Sather did...Shanny on the other hand..well...i think my feelings are known...
Jagr was a good move. But now that he's 36 what now?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Jagr was a good move. But now that he's 36 what now?
I don't think his age really matters if he is signed to a one year incentive laden contract....

I'm not sitting here saying lets sign Jagr to a two or three year contract but one more season buys us time to aquire or develop his replacement...It also gives the team another shot at building a contender for next year (with a cap everything is year to year anyway)

I just think it makes no sense not to resign The Captain....Without Jagr the Rangers don't make the playoffs the past three years and probably don't next season...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:14 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Good. If we don't sign him I don't want to be playing against him 8 times a year.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Without Jagr the Rangers don't make the playoffs the past three years
Absolutely.

Quote: