HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: RDS - Avery and Straka will not be Re-signed (Post #190)

Old
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Absolutely.

Now that I'm not ready to say.
Then what's the plan?

To me letting all these guys go AND replacing the needs we had last year...I just don't see us making the playoffs...with chemistry and the guys not working out like we think..i just don't see it..i hope i'm wrong...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I don't think his age really matters if he is signed to a one year incentive laden contract....

I'm not sitting here saying lets sign Jagr to a two or three year contract but one more season buys us time to aquire or develop his replacement...It also gives the team another shot at building a contender for next year (with a cap everything is year to year anyway)

I just think it makes no sense not to resign The Captain....Without Jagr the Rangers don't make the playoffs the past three years and probably don't next season...
agree on all counts.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Then what's the plan?

To me letting all these guys go AND replacing the needs we had last year...I just don't see us making the playoffs...with chemistry and the guys not working out like we think..i just don't see it..i hope i'm wrong...
I honestly don't have an answer to that.

I guess I would say that the last two seasons the Rangers have not made it past the second round of the playoffs next season. Does bringing back Jagr mean that they will next season?

06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I honestly don't have an answer to that.

I guess I would say that the last two seasons the Rangers have not made it past the second round of the playoffs next season. Does bringing back Jagr mean that they will next season?
I don't think i'd be going out on a limb by saying they would IF they improved the power play and defense as a whole..

To me and maybe it's just me the Rangers are creating more holes then they can fill...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
bathgate

Jagr can't play at an elite level for a full schedule. He is now a complementary player on a good team, no longer the man. It's time to move on. Last year proved this team must still grow to become a serious threat. Jagr will not be part of the equation.Right or wrong, the team needs to build around Drury and Gomez on offense, Staal, Tyutin and Girardi on defense . We do have the franchise goalie

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I hope to god he has a plan, that doesn't include just saving as much cap space as possible to sign the two biggest free agents.. again.

by the way, link: http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202008...co__116325.htm
Pens dealing Malkin??

I say good for Sather, if he can somehow acquire both Malkin and Campbell.....I'd be a happy guy!!

Sather is no dummie...with the exception of Jagr (who is expensive as hell) and Avery...the other guys SHOULD NEVER be signed...ie: Rozy, Straka, or Shanny. They would cost to much, and if Malkin and/or Cambell can be acquired....why not save the money for the big guns?

I could be wrong...but I think in the end...we are all going to be VERY VERY happy with the off season.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't think i'd be going out on a limb by saying they would IF they improved the power play and defense as a whole..

To me and maybe it's just me the Rangers are creating more holes then they can fill...
The drop off in Jagr's performance this year IS a hole that needs to be filled. For someone that commands that much ice time, particularly on the PP, the offense just has to be there. If it was, he would have the renewal triggers and there wouldn't even be a discussion on the topic.

The saddest part is that he was STILL arguably the best Ranger winger. If that doesn't say that these forward lines need to be absolutely re-invented, I don't know what does. No status quo for me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Then what's the plan?

You're not wrong. Slats is bluffing, that's all. He has to. Brooks is his instrument in it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Fletch

MJ...

not sure you need to say arguably...you may be able to say easily...

And it's not just his minutes and points (which may not have been that great but still led the team), he still made others around him better. And while he wasn't a machine, those around him weren't putting away many of their opportunities he afforded them either. If his linemates had finishing ability, perhaps he would've had 80+ points, which still is below Jagr par, but looks a bit better. Heck, the guy played about 15 games with Dubi as his centerman (really making his NHL debut) and Hossa on his left. Getting 70 points doesn't seem bad when you consider that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
I think letting Avery hit the market could go down at Sather's biggest mistake as GM yet. The guy is the sparkplug on this team, and without his energy I think this team regresses.
callahan is the next avery. (minus the mental issues)

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
not even close

Old
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
...he still made others around him better.
Did he? The team was an offensive failure.

Meanwhile, the staggering investments made at center are buried down the roster because he can't play with them at all, which lines them up with your 2nd and 3rd tier offensive talent and reduces their effectiveness. Is this really the game strategy the team wants to continue with?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The drop off in Jagr's performance this year IS a hole that needs to be filled. For someone that commands that much ice time, particularly on the PP, the offense just has to be there. If it was, he would have the renewal triggers and there wouldn't even be a discussion on the topic.

The saddest part is that he was STILL arguably the best Ranger winger. If that doesn't say that these forward lines need to be absolutely re-invented, I don't know what does. No status quo for me.
Definitely agree.

Quote:
not sure you need to say arguably...you may be able to say easily...

And it's not just his minutes and points (which may not have been that great but still led the team), he still made others around him better. And while he wasn't a machine, those around him weren't putting away many of their opportunities he afforded them either. If his linemates had finishing ability, perhaps he would've had 80+ points, which still is below Jagr par, but looks a bit better. Heck, the guy played about 15 games with Dubi as his centerman (really making his NHL debut) and Hossa on his left. Getting 70 points doesn't seem bad when you consider that.
I agree with you here Fletch, however, this is one of the reasons I'm against bringing back Jagr. If we go out to find a winger who is compatible with Jagr, we have less options for Gomez's winger by default. Not to mention it's very clear that Jagr is picky about who he plays with. Our only real options internally are Straka and Prucha. Straka can't finish, and Prucha will never see top line minutes under Renney again. That leaves trade or the FA market. Via FA, we have Huselius, Demitra and Naslund. Two of which are old and on the decline, not to mention oft-injured. The other is "too-soft" by most people's standards and is looking for a big payday.

So say we sign Huselius. Now we've eaten into our cap and we haven't even dealt with the problems that will still be here after Jagr is gone. Thats why I'm against bringing back Jagr.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Fletch

Under the cap...

it's tough to bring back Jagr and a UFA winger to play with him and someone who can play with Gomez. Although there is Dawes among the top six currently, who plays right wing with Gomez if Jagr is on the top line? Top six depth at wing is not the Rangers' strong suit. Again, with the cap, it's difficult to even keep Jagr, Avery and add a winger and a defenseman. Reality is Jagr will not be cheap. I'm guessing there's someone out there willing to pay him $7MM per season, and perhaps sign him past this season.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
cityhockeyfever

I'm really nervous about this approach Glen Sather is taking, but I have to commend him for being really bold in taking this risk. I agree with the statements that HockeyBasedNYC and Jeds2StepOpus made late on page 3 and early on page 4.

I just don't see Brendan Shanahan coming back as a player as injuries and a decline in production during the second half of last season may have determined his fate here. His leadership qualities and the intangibles that Shanny brought to New York is quite appreciated, especially by the fans.

With Jaromir Jagr's drop off in production, there's no way Slats should consider throwing not only a multiyear deal at him, but anything more than $5 million per season. If Jagr still wants more at age 36, let him go to Russia or the Czech Republic to finish his playing career. Do I want him back for another year or two? Absolutely. But at the right price.

(continued...)

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Fletch

MJ...

I do think he did - he also took pressure off the other lines by still attracting the attention of other teams. I don't know what others would've done had Jagr not been there. Dubi's a good player, but does he put those kind of numbers up while going against top competition if he doesn't have Jagr? I dunno. Avery seemed to play his best hockey with Jagr. So did Straka, who seemed even more pathetic without Jagr. Rozsival doesn't get those opportunities he had if Jagr's not opening up the ice either. I still think he gave the guys on the ice with him better chances by giving them more space out there. If they don't capitalize on is like they should've, not sure I fully blame Jagr. In the end, he did still lead the team in scoring and goals, while playing what the consensus feel was like crap, however pathetic that may sound which is why I worry about the rest of the team without him.

Old
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
cityhockeyfever

If Slats has a big and important secret plan up his sleeve and he knows it will improve the team, so be it and I'll support it. But not bringing back Sean Avery and looking at a lesser player in Darcy Tucker is a bad move.

As far as free agents go, no high priced, long-term deals anymore. I don't care if the salary cap went up, the Rangers need to have wiggle room in case there's a better deal at next February's trade deadline and they have the means to trade for an upgrade.

Improve the defensive corps, see if Steve Valiquette is your best option as the backup goalie or get another that will just as much get the job done or more and plug in the promising kids as they began doing last season.

I don't trust Slats based on his crazy track record, but with his hockey people, they better not screw up tonight or during the free agent season.

And by the way, Freddy Idol (Sjostrom) better be in the Rangers' plans. I love what he brought to the team after the trade from Phoenix.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
he doesnt bring to the table what avery does, Avery tries to torture the Opponent while Callahan is still learning the Game. Callahan goes balls out to win the game. Avery goes balls out to annoy the opposition(marty)

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Callahan goes balls out to win the game. Avery goes balls out to annoy the opposition(marty)
I guess that sort of begs the question which is more important?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
That is true, but what Avery brings to the game is different and it helps other players get energized, and having a will to win.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
We may all be over reacting a bit to a classic Uncle Larry article that provides no quotes, no solid facts, and is based on "unnamed sources" and other illusions. Many GMs rarely negotiate with UFAs until after the draft, which is what I think Slats' plan is all along.

IF this turns out to be true, I think I have to give Slats credit for not being held hostage by these players. This strategy may have some of them returned to us for less than what it may have cost us now. If not, I trust Schoenfeld, Clarke, Renney, and Slats to make decisions that are in the best interest of this team's short, medium, and long term future. The latter two of which I know wouldn't include any of these players with the exception of Rosie.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
We may all be over reacting a bit to a classic Uncle Larry article that provides no quotes, no solid facts, and is based on "unnamed sources" and other illusions. Many GMs rarely negotiate with UFAs until after the draft, which is what I think Slats' plan is all along.

IF this turns out to be true, I think I have to give Slats credit for not being held hostage by these players. This strategy may have some of them returned to us for less than what it may have cost us now. If not, I trust Schoenfeld, Clarke, Renney, and Slats to make decisions that are in the best interest of this team's short, medium, and long term future. The latter two of which I know wouldn't include any of these players with the exception of Rosie.
Exactly.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
it's tough to bring back Jagr and a UFA winger to play with him and someone who can play with Gomez. Although there is Dawes among the top six currently, who plays right wing with Gomez if Jagr is on the top line? Top six depth at wing is not the Rangers' strong suit. Again, with the cap, it's difficult to even keep Jagr, Avery and add a winger and a defenseman. Reality is Jagr will not be cheap. I'm guessing there's someone out there willing to pay him $7MM per season, and perhaps sign him past this season.
Precisely. I think the wiser move is to bring in a guy for Gomez and let Jagr go. With Jagr signing for at the most (hopefully) 2 years, that leaves very few options available to sign to play on his line unless you want to sign an aging veteran or an unproven rookie. Or, you go with a player in the middle, deal with a longer contract and face the same situation 2 years from now when Jagr leaves/retires, whatever.

I do like a deal for Cheechoo to be honest. I was against it at first glance, but I think he could do very well with Gomez. His contract is really the sort of thing this team needs to fill some other holes in the lineup. However, I don't particularly like a first line of Dawes - Gomez - Cheechoo. I think we need some grit and/or size up front.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 04:13 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Callahan is a better person

Avery is a better, and more effective hockey player....period

Old
06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Avery is a better, and more effective hockey player....period