HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruutu to Edmonton (E4)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
  #51
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 694
Tuomo Ruutu was regarded as the best player not in the NHL in 03-04 i think. He is very very talented but has had various injury problems, a 100% healthy Ruutu puts penner on the 2nd line, he is very good and great along the boards. like a not as dominant version of forsberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J24kgBgetI8

this is from the 06 world cup, he danced neidermayer and shelfed the shot on Marty B.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
  #52
PaperDesigner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Maybe it's a defender going the other way. One of the 5-6 (Smid-Greene) tandem? It would make for an even more crowded F group but Ruutu adds some of that sandpaper up front Lowe was talking about.

Plus he played pretty much a full season right? Desjardins say he played pretty soft minutes with good linemates and delivered about Pisani level at EVs so it isn't like he's going to be a huge offensive option but the Oilers have some nice things going on in that department.
If you could add him for Greene, and maybe a late round pick, that'd work. It'd allow you to move a few guys up front for second and third round picks.

I'm hesistant to move Smid. He's got a lot of tools, and though he hasn't quite shown it yet, has a lot more offensive upside than Greene. Smid is also several years further from unrestricted free agency, and is right between Gagner and Hemsky in age, which is good for a defenceman on this team. It's also harder to find a D-man in our system that's equivalent to Smid.

But isn't Peckham basically Greene with a little less size and a little more speed?

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
  #53
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
To be fair to Ruutu, he's played over 70 games in each of the last two seasons.

11 points (4 g/7a/+1) in 14 games with Carolina is better than third line production as well.
IMO he's an excellent player. Very thorough.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
  #54
mic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
I could actually see Carolina having interest in Rolie since Ward can be streaky and had an awful stretch last season. For Ruutu it would have to be Torres and perhaps Roloson since that is all he is worth. Stoll or Pitkanen for Ruutu is definitely not worth the trade and the only way we bring him here is if Stoll is going to be dealt. Either Ruutu or Cogs would take Stoll's spot.

I could possibly see Smid for Ruutu and a second rounder if we deal Stoll for another young defenceman. Can't wait to see what will happen but it looks like the sellers are in a great position as it will be an expensive draft day.

Ruutu would only be brought here to add size and toughness to the second line and give Joni a BFF. Maybe they would actually have chemistry and put up some points!

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
  #55
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,659
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Tuomo Ruutu was regarded as the best player not in the NHL in 03-04 i think. He is very very talented but has had various injury problems, a 100% healthy Ruutu puts penner on the 2nd line, he is very good and great along the boards. like a not as dominant version of forsberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J24kgBgetI8

this is from the 06 world cup, he danced neidermayer and shelfed the shot on Marty B.
So was Jani Rita, wasn't he (not in 03/04 of course)?

Ruutu has always been one of my favorites, and I'd love to see him in Oiler silks, but I'd be very careful about what I'd give up for him. He's not without his issues.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
  #56
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,176
vCash: 500
What I like about Ruutu moreso than Torres is he can actually shoot and has higher end solid hockey skill.

Raffi needs to be set up for all his goals.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
  #57
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
The Oilers have been linked with CAR several times in the past and nothing has come to fruition.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:11 PM
  #58
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
What I like about Ruutu moreso than Torres is he can actually shoot and has higher end solid hockey skill.

Raffi needs to be set up for all his goals.
You have a point there, but still, Ruutu's numbers have not exactly lived up to his potential:

NHL 245 52 67 119 -30

And for good measure, Torres:

NHL 307 67 59 126 7

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
  #59
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You have a point there, but still, Ruutu's numbers have not exactly lived up to his potential:

NHL 245 52 67 119 -30

And for good measure, Torres:

NHL 307 67 59 126 7
Agreed, then again if Ruutu had lived up to his potential thus far, obviously we would be talking about having to deal Hemsky or Gagner to get him.

Might be a low risk, high reward scenario.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
  #60
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
This makes a ton of sense on a couple fronts. KLO has coveted Ruutu since his draft year, I believe he even tried to trade up to pick him or that was a rumour at the time. Added to that, Ruutu is Finnish and friends with Pitkanen, they are around the same age and have played together at international events in the past. You want Pitkanen to sign long-term, bring in a Finnish buddy to make him feel more at home and hopefully it's a done deal.

I, for one, would be totally stoked to have Pitkanen and Ruutu a part of the Oilers core for the next 5+ years, especially considering Ruutu will most likely come at a bargain rate. He was just traded to Carolina straight up for another former 1st rounder in Andrew Ladd, so if I had to predict the deal I would guess Smid/Greene and Schremp/Torres and maybe a 4th rounder for Ruutu and the #14 overall pick.

Would you do that deal?

To Carolina = Smid/Greene (their choice), Torres/Schremp (their choice), and a 4th rounder (103 overall)

To Edmonton = Tuomo Ruutu and the #14 overall pick (Zack Boychuk)

Then Edmonton can take BPA at #22 and likely a goalie, Pickard or Markstrom would make my day. Dare to dream boys!!!

Larry Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:18 PM
  #61
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle View Post
This makes a ton of sense on a couple fronts. KLO has coveted Ruutu since his draft year, I believe he even tried to trade up to pick him or that was a rumour at the time. Added to that, Ruutu is Finnish and friends with Pitkanen, they are around the same age and have played together at international events in the past. You want Pitkanen to sign long-term, bring in a Finnish buddy to make him feel more at home and hopefully it's a done deal.

I, for one, would be totally stoked to have Pitkanen and Ruutu a part of the Oilers core for the next 5+ years, especially considering Ruutu will most likely come at a bargain rate. He was just traded to Carolina straight up for another former 1st rounder in Andrew Ladd, so if I had to predict the deal I would guess Smid/Greene and Schremp/Torres and maybe a 4th rounder for Ruutu and the #14 overall pick.

Would you do that deal?

To Carolina = Smid/Greene (their choice), Torres/Schremp (their choice), and a 4th rounder (103 overall)

To Edmonton = Tuomo Ruutu and the #14 overall pick (Zack Boychuk)

Then Edmonton can take BPA at #22 and likely a goalie, Pickard or Markstrom would make my day. Dare to dream boys!!!

I'm not sure it wouldn't be PIK going the other way though.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
  #62
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 500
I cant wait 5 more hours till draft. I dont mind Ruutu but i have to agree that they are asking for a puck moving young defensemen. Which one prob Smid.

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
  #63
Matty31
Registered User
 
Matty31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matty31
We do have a #15 available for him.
He is awesome in EA Sports NHL hockey.

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
  #64
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I cant wait 5 more hours till draft. I dont mind Ruutu but i have to agree that they are asking for a puck moving young defensemen. Which one prob Smid.
Smid is more valuable than Ruutu imo. He might not have as much potential but I think that with the logjam we have at the forward position it doesnt make much sense unless we trade a forward as well.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
  #65
pox
Registered User
 
pox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
when does the team start brocasting?? i want to hear there take

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:29 PM
  #66
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I cant wait 5 more hours till draft. I dont mind Ruutu but i have to agree that they are asking for a puck moving young defensemen. Which one prob Smid.
I might have said that last year, but this year I feel pretty confident that Lowe is going to stand pat.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
  #67
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I might have said that last year, but this year I feel pretty confident that Lowe is going to stand pat.
Well prob im not going to disagree, but if Ruttu is coming here it isnt for free. Trust me.

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:38 PM
  #68
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Well prob im not going to disagree, but if Ruttu is coming here it isnt for free. Trust me.
He went to CAR in exchange for Andrew Ladd. Trust me.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:46 PM
  #69
GSC
Registered User
 
GSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
I want the Pittsburgh Ruutu to put on a line with Brodziak and Glencross.
I want nothing to do with Jarkko Ruutu. He's a turtling little b*tch, just like Matt Cooke, and if the instigator rule were in effect like it should be his career would be over (and rightfully so).

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
  #70
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
He went to CAR in exchange for Andrew Ladd. Trust me.
YOu dont think Ladd had any value??? Hes won a cup and has more value than most of our forwards.

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
  #71
Heavy Dee
Registered User
 
Heavy Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
YOu dont think Ladd had any value??? Hes won a cup and has more value than most of our forwards.

I dont think so Vern..

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  #72
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
YOu dont think Ladd had any value??? Hes won a cup and has more value than most of our forwards.
Equal or more value than Ladd:
Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff, Penner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Torres and Stoll...most of our forwards are better than Ladd.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  #73
KGpens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Jarko Ruutu's rights to Edmonton for a 3rd round pick?

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:56 PM
  #74
jeetz
Registered User
 
jeetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
That's what I was thinking... I'd much rather have Stoll than Ruutu.

Especially with Ruutu's history of injuries.
I don't think his injuries are a big concern. He played 77 games last year and 71 the year before. I think he has an unjust reputation just like Pitkanen.

Ruutu would be a great addition to the team. He is a legit LW and sportsnet lists his career potential at 1 line fwd. So he would likely play 2nd line with us.

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Ruutu Gagner Nilsson
Glencross Cogliano Pouliot
Moureau Brodziak Pisani
Stortini Shremp

...that is an upgrade from last year IMO

I think the proposal Stoll + 22nd for Ruutu + 14th is a good one and should save us about 1 mil in salary.

I have said for a while that what Stoll brings to the table can be replaced better, by committee (Several other players).

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
  #75
Heavy Dee
Registered User
 
Heavy Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
I don't think his injuries are a big concern. He played 77 games last year and 71 the year before. I think he has an unjust reputation just like Pitkanen.

Ruutu would be a great addition to the team. He is a legit LW and sportsnet lists his career potential at 1 line fwd. So he would likely play 2nd line with us.

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Ruutu Gagner Nilsson
Glencross Cogliano Pouliot
Moureau Brodziak Pisani
Stortini Shremp

...that is an upgrade from last year IMO

I think the proposal Stoll + 22nd for Ruutu + 14th is a good one and should save us about 1 mil in salary.

I have said for a while that what Stoll brings to the table can be replaced better, by committee (Several other players).
valid proposal and would love to see it...problem is that means reasoner is coming back

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.