HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmontonians are making me sick

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
I'm an Oiler fan but this is just nuts. Claseless this, classless that...everyone is classless aren't they? That's the most overused word in hockey right now. A player elbows someone and he is considered classless.

So the rival Calgary Flames should be wishing for the Oilers to take their place in the playoffs because they are Canadian? Maybe the next time the Oilers have a must win game against another team, those other players should just hand the game to them because it could mean one more Canadian team in the playoffs. That's retarted.
Calgary fans are as arrogant as they come. I didn't say replace them. When the Oilers were fighting for the playoffs, the players of the Flames were cheering for the Oilers to miss the playoffs. The players from the Flames didn't want Edmonton in the playoffs, period. Now look at the mess. The Flames would rather have an American team make the playoffs over Edmonton. There is such a hatred with Calgary and goes way back. This hatred started when Edmonton eliminated the Flames in the first playoff series and it's continued. Calgary was jealous when Edmonton became the capital of Alberta and not Calgary, also when Edmonton got the university instead of Calgary.

ABC - GO LIGHTNING GO

Old
05-30-2004, 02:20 AM
OMA

Having lived in Edmonton and Calgary, I can see why this would have happened.

The majority of fans aren't die-hard fans. They'll casually root for the team that's in their city when they succeed (see Calgary right now, hello bandwagon). If that club isn't doing well, there's a lot of Canadian Pride, and all their focus will go to the remaining Canadian teams.

Obviously, the die-hards aren't going to feel that way. It's the nature of the BOA, it's healthy. It's the way its supposed to be. But the majority of the fans that don't live and die by their club are going to switch allegiances and go with the club that's doing well.

As a Flames fan, I don't think I could ever cheer for the Oilers. It's nothing against city itself, it's nothing against the people (I know there's fans on both sides that don't feel that way at all and don't respect the people of the city). It's just the way it is. Any native Albertan that's a hockey fan knows how it is. If the Oilers were in Calgary's situation right now, I'd be cheering for TB. That being said, If the Oil did win it all, I'd respect their acheivement. I'd also be mighty jealous.

Many don't feel this way. Hell, I remember last year when the Oilers made the playoffs, all the sports bars in Calgary were covered in Copper and Blue. Edmonton was quickly denoted as "Alberta's Team."

That being said, I'm a Flames fan, so y'all will probably discount me as crazy!

On that note, I've got a question for you guys. If the Oilers were in Calgary's situation right now, do you think the bandwagon of Oiler fans would be just as crazy as it is in Calgary right now? I'd suspect it would be pretty darn close, but I'm curious for your opinions..

Old
05-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Fincan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
Having lived in Edmonton and Calgary, I can see why this would have happened.

The majority of fans aren't die-hard fans. They'll casually root for the team that's in their city when they succeed (see Calgary right now, hello bandwagon). If that club isn't doing well, there's a lot of Canadian Pride, and all their focus will go to the remaining Canadian teams.

Obviously, the die-hards aren't going to feel that way. It's the nature of the BOA, it's healthy. It's the way its supposed to be. But the majority of the fans that don't live and die by their club are going to switch allegiances and go with the club that's doing well.

As a Flames fan, I don't think I could ever cheer for the Oilers. It's nothing against city itself, it's nothing against the people (I know there's fans on both sides that don't feel that way at all and don't respect the people of the city). It's just the way it is. Any native Albertan that's a hockey fan knows how it is. If the Oilers were in Calgary's situation right now, I'd be cheering for TB. That being said, If the Oil did win it all, I'd respect their acheivement. I'd also be mighty jealous.

Many don't feel this way. Hell, I remember last year when the Oilers made the playoffs, all the sports bars in Calgary were covered in Copper and Blue. Edmonton was quickly denoted as "Alberta's Team."

That being said, I'm a Flames fan, so y'all will probably discount me as crazy!

On that note, I've got a question for you guys. If the Oilers were in Calgary's situation right now, do you think the bandwagon of Oiler fans would be just as crazy as it is in Calgary right now? I'd suspect it would be pretty darn close, but I'm curious for your opinions..
Probably, our bandwagon gets going pretty good too. I have respect for the team in Calgary, I have respect for their fans. I have nothing against the city of Calgary. I hate the team because they are the Flames and they are our Rivals (along with Dallas). I respect what they have done but I want like hell for them to lose. Why? Because if you cut me, I will bleed Copper and Blue. Am I jelous, damn right. Do I wish it were the Oilers instead, yup. Am I cheering for the Lightning because they are not Calgary, yup.

See I think some have confused why I am angry. hmminvisiblecola certainly has if it was me he was calling a sore loser. I admit to being jelous that the Flames made it and not us and have never denied that, but that is not what motivated me to start this thread. If someone thinks so they have a complete lack of comprehension as everything I wrote openly states another reason. My rant was never directed towards the Flames, but rather the supposed Oiler fans in this city that are cheering for the Flames.

Old
05-30-2004, 08:38 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincan
My rant was never directed towards the Flames, but rather the supposed Oiler fans in this city that are cheering for the Flames.
And your rancor at other "supposed" Oilers fans who dare to disagree with you, regardless of where they live. (Check my location, it doesn't lie.)

To further address a point you made in your original post: if you think the Oilers are unprofessional enough to stop playing because some people in the home city of their team are cheering for the Flames, or because the media are calling the Flames "Canada's Team" (hrm, seems to me a few years ago when the Oilers knocked off the Stars, *they* were Canada's team), you should find another team cos yours is done.

As for where my heart is... well, bucko, I've been an Oilers fan since 1983. I know where it is, and I don't particularly care if you think you do. I've followed them through 6 different moves to 4 different cities and towns in 4 different provinces. If that isn't good enough for you - or anybody else on these boards - I don't particularly care about that either.

I'm not even sure why I'm following up again, since I'm sure I'll get ignored or attacked anyway, but what the hey.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Fincan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
To further address a point you made in your original post: if you think the Oilers are unprofessional enough to stop playing because some people in the home city of their team are cheering for the Flames, or because the media are calling the Flames "Canada's Team" (hrm, seems to me a few years ago when the Oilers knocked off the Stars, *they* were Canada's team), you should find another team cos yours is done.
Read that part again. I wasnt talking about on ice play.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:11 AM
mamettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
From the "small market Canadian franchise bring back Stanley where he belongs" angle, this is great.
From the "unbelievable underdog doing something no one thought possible" angle, this is great.
And for the people of Calgary & Flames fans, I dont think this can be put into words.

But the thing that fills me with dread is...... as an Oiler fan, if they do complete this season on a win, is they will not let us forget this for the next 14 years or so. It will not matter if the Oilers make it to the 2rd round in '06, 3rd round in '08, or the SCF in '09. Or if Hemsky becomes a 80 point player. Or if JDD surprises everyone with his early domination during the 2005/06 season. Or if Niinimaki & Mikhnov exceed their potential & go on to very productive careers. Or if Woywitka turns into a real offensive threat for years to come . Or if Torres turns into a Ryan Smyth Part 2 but Better. Or if Pouliot scores 62 points during the '06 season and leads this team over the highly favored (insert 1st or 2nd seed American Team) with 4 goals & 5 assists in a 1st round 7 game thriller.

Reply by a Flames fan to all the above supposed outcomes: So what, we won the Cup in '04.

None of it will matter if we dont win it all at some point in the not-too-distant future. As an Oiler fan, I dont feel like lowering my eyes anytime the F word is mentioned during a hockey conversation.

And yes, I hope Lowe is watching & feeling the pressure build in his temples to build a Stanley Cup Contender quickly (without knowing what the next CBA holds) because the bar has just been raised THIS HIGH. There's nothing to it, all you need is the right mix of smart hockey decisions, chance & dumb luck.
You have summed up me feelings exactly. This is a wake up call for kevin lowe....you can win. We have been playing with the defeatist attitude of "wait for 2004" for years. Given the economic climate in hockey in the late 90's, certainly we had to hold out for better times post '04. But that doesn't mean we could not compete, or could not have won the stanley cup, before then. Sutter may have lightning in a bottle, but he didn't stumble on to it. He got kiprusoff, simon, warrener, reinprecht, Nilson, niemenne and instilled in them a physical, hard hititng, up tempo game plan and, most importantly, a mindset that they could win. These are all things that mac-t needs, desperately needs, to instill in the oilers. I respect the flames, respect what they've done, and am ashamed to say that yes, we oiler fans have nothing, nothing, to say to them when the debate comes up again. We got our ***** punked good. Good job calgary. Mr. Lowe, you have some work to do.

Also, the next CBA is hardly going to bring economic equality. It may bring some help, but we are still going to have to fight and scrape for every playoff appearence we get. Even if a salary cap is introduced (A highly unlikely event) it will still be in the 45 million range, which means many teams will be outspending us. It's time to realize that the fight's already begun and no reinforcements are arriving. We are the cavalry and we alone determine our fate. Our trades, our drafting, our singings, our evaluations, our strength, and our courage. No agreement between lawyers in a boardroom can make up for good hockey decisions and a warrior mentality, something the flames combine.

Last edited by mamettt: 05-30-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old
05-30-2004, 11:43 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
i'm a HUGE Oiler fan & i've been a really big Oiler fan all my life. I am cheering for Calgary because

a)Iginla's from Edmonton, & is one of my favorite hockey players

If your a big Iginla fan then you should already be aware of the fact that Iggy has a Major thing against Edmonton ( just plain dislikes the city & the Oilers organization) from many interviews & articles. Just because he was born here doesn't mean he's a fan. (Like another Local boy... eh MC?)

Old
05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
CupBound

I think you guys are too concerned about what Flames fans like myself will tell you. You've been talking smack for 7 years eventhough your team had accomplised little. The shoe is on the other foot now, live with it and stop bashing the Calgary Flames team, it's players, coaches and management because you have some beef with the teams fans. It's simply childish.

The Flames are Canada's team now and they are on their way to winning a Stanley Cup. That's huge, let them enjoy it and stop being bitter about it.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If your a big Iginla fan then you should already be aware of the fact that Iggy has a Major thing against Edmonton ( just plain dislikes the city & the Oilers organization) from many interviews & articles. Just because he was born here doesn't mean he's a fan. (Like another Local boy... eh MC?)
Plus Iggy has also said on numerous occassions when the Oilers made the playoffs and the Flames didn't that the Oilers stole their playoff spot. He didn't want the Oilers in the playoffs and would rather have an American team in the playoffs instead of Edmonton.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:54 PM
coyote

Good for Iggy. Now I hope him and the rest of those cowboys fall flat on their face. Once an Oiler fan never a Calgary fan.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Thank you.

Aren't Edmonton fans supposed to hate Calgary?

Even a CLOSET Oiler fan like me knows

I do hate the Flames and their fans but I live a sheltered life on the left coast now, I don't have a buncha those googly-eyed freaks in my face all the time so their success isn't really grating on my nerves.

I cheered for them because the way their franchise was losing money in the past few years they needed this run more than anybody just to keep their team. As an Oiler fan I'd be kinda worried about our chances of surviving with our 16,500 seat arena if the Flames couldn't make it in the StoogeDome. Plus, I really miss the old rivalry and I think this fluke run will go a long way towards seeing it renewed. There are some other teams I enjoy beating, like Tor, Dal, and the Rags, but nothing was anywhere near as fun as pounding on the Flames of the '80's.

Now that they've maxed out their revenue potential by making it to the finals I don't really care who wins the Cup, and if Chris Simon has to go run his stupid yap at Khabibulin after every game you can rest assured I'll be on the 'Ning bandwagon pdq.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Elvis Lives

Flamers

Some oaf was in the west end Ricky's restaurant this morning, swaggering around with his Denis Gauthier jersey on. That's OK, given that it's a free country and all, but watching him for 10 minutes or so, it's clear he was a long-time frustrated Flamer.

On a least three occasions, starting with when he was waiting to be seated, the oaf found a way to to bring up the Flames being in the Cup final with complete strangers. It was like, the hostess said: "A table for how many?" and the oaf responded, "Two . . . and hey, have you been watching the Stanley Cup and blah, blah . . . "
Each time the oaf dod it he puffed out his chest, making it almost as big as his beer gut, and his body English begged for somebody to respond by slagging the Flamers. Nobody did. His wife/girlfriend looked like she wanted to crawl under a booth and hide as the oaf repeatedly trotted out his act.

Loser.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Lives
Some oaf was in the west end Ricky's restaurant this morning, swaggering around with his Denis Gauthier jersey on. That's OK, given that it's a free country and all, but watching him for 10 minutes or so, it's clear he was a long-time frustrated Flamer.

On a least three occasions, starting with when he was waiting to be seated, the oaf found a way to to bring up the Flames being in the Cup final with complete strangers. It was like, the hostess said: "A table for how many?" and the oaf responded, "Two . . . and hey, have you been watching the Stanley Cup and blah, blah . . . "
Each time the oaf dod it he puffed out his chest, making it almost as big as his beer gut, and his body English begged for somebody to respond by slagging the Flamers. Nobody did. His wife/girlfriend looked like she wanted to crawl under a booth and hide as the oaf repeatedly trotted out his act.

Loser.

LOL... your experience perfectly summarizes why I personally as an oiler fan must hate the Flames for life. The Flames are like the retarted kid brother in the family whose grades have always come short of the Oilers' accomplishments. But OH lo and behold, the first time in ages that Calgary does anything and they run around and rub it in everyone's faces demanding to be recognized as a Bonifide A+ student and the brains of the family and not a fluke-out. So let the Cowtown fans have their fun.... even homeristic trolls like cupbound can have their day in the sun. LOL!
GO TAMPA!

Old
05-30-2004, 03:49 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 209
that god I am on a beach in Florida while the Flames are in the cup--if it was not for coming to this joint--I wouldn't even know hockey was being played still

Old
05-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
And yes, I hope Lowe is watching & feeling the pressure build in his temples to build a Stanley Cup Contender quickly (without knowing what the next CBA holds) because the bar has just been raised THIS HIGH. There's nothing to it, all you need is the right mix of smart hockey decisions, chance & dumb luck.
I totally agree with the sentiment, but IMO whatever pressure Lowe brings upon himself will mean little if the ownership group doesn't feel the same pressure.

If all they care about is breaking even and getting 2-3 home playoff dates, this team will likely go nowhere anytime soon.

When Lowe played the 'talk to me when they've won 5 cups' card recently in response to the Flames' recent success, that annoyed me. I'm personally getting a bit tired of hearing about how good this team USED to be...I know all that, I grew up watching it.

Mr. Lowe, I want to see some tangible hope for the future. I sincerely hope that the people you work for give you sufficient assets to make it happen.

Old
05-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Cujo_31

Quote:

I never said Iginla was a fan of Edmonton. maybe I should re-word my statement, I think Iginla is a great hockey player with tremendous skill and I like rooting for the home-grown players. I was unaware of what Iginla has said, but maybe it's in his blood to hate Edmonton because he's a Calgary Flame? maybe he's learned to hate them cause of the intense rivalry? I honestly don't know, i haven't seen too many Iggy interviews & was unaware of that, i've just enjoyed his accomplishments back in 2002 where he led the league in goals & points, and what he's done with Calgary this season, leading them to the cup final & possibly even teh stanley cup.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
I think you guys are too concerned about what Flames fans like myself will tell you. You've been talking smack for 7 years eventhough your team had accomplised little. The shoe is on the other foot now, live with it and stop bashing the Calgary Flames team, it's players, coaches and management because you have some beef with the teams fans. It's simply childish.

The Flames are Canada's team now and they are on their way to winning a Stanley Cup. That's huge, let them enjoy it and stop being bitter about it.
I don't know how I missed this post before, what a bunch of tripe.

1st, I don't necessarily give a rip what Flames fans want to tell me so don't get too high on your own opinion.

2nd, there's been very little smack coming from this quarter, so take your beefs elsewhere.

3rd, the shoe is not on the other foot now. The Oilers aren't as bad as the Flames of the past 7 straight years were and the Flames aren't exactly the most entertaining team to watch even though they've won a few playoff games. Take off the rose-coloured glasses.

4th, Noone's said anything overly bad about the Flames and besides, this is an Oilers forum. If we want to bash the Flames and anyone involved with them then that's just what we'll do, thank you very much. You don't have to come here, your opinion isn't necessarily welcome, and it's definitely not as informed or as mature as you'd like to think.

5th, Just because HNIC has dubbed the Flames "Canada's team" doesn't mean squat. This is a free country and the last time I checked we still had the right to pick which team we wanted to cheer for.

6th The Flames may be on the road to winning a cup, don't get ahead of yourself. You may jinx your team

7th Who gave you the right to tell people what to feel? If some people want to be bitter and express their opinions here it's their life and you have no say in the matter. Get over it, or tell someone who cares. (*hint* - you won't find them here)

8th Na-nana-boo-boo!

Old
05-31-2004, 01:05 AM
kruezer

Not to be all 'why can't we all get along' I don't want to play that card, but I just don't see why it makes you less of a fan of your home team (whoever you cheer for) just because of the team you cheer for when you home team is out. I could understand calling out someone for being less of an Oiler fan for cheering for Calgary to beat them while the Oiler's were still alive, but when the Oilers were eliminated it really shouldn't matter who you cheer for should it? I mean I always cheered for the Oilers when the Flames were out, and alot of people think I'm nuts, but I don't see why it matters, its not like I wanted the Oilers to be in the playoffs all those years instead of Calgary, I mean if the team is eliminated, why does it matter? I just don't see how it makes you less of a Oiler fan. If you hate Calgary and don't want to cheer for them thats quite alright, I really don't mind either way.

Maybe I just don't get it.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:17 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Not to be all 'why can't we all get along' I don't want to play that card, but I just don't see why it makes you less of a fan of your home team (whoever you cheer for) just because of the team you cheer for when you home team is out. I could understand calling out someone for being less of an Oiler fan for cheering for Calgary to beat them while the Oiler's were still alive, but when the Oilers were eliminated it really shouldn't matter who you cheer for should it? I mean I always cheered for the Oilers when the Flames were out, and alot of people think I'm nuts, but I don't see why it matters, its not like I wanted the Oilers to be in the playoffs all those years instead of Calgary, I mean if the team is eliminated, why does it matter? I just don't see how it makes you less of a Oiler fan. If you hate Calgary and don't want to cheer for them thats quite alright, I really don't mind either way.

I don't feel like any less of an Oiler fan for cheering the Flames thus far, I find it kind of comical that some people take it to that extent. It's probably not healthy but I don't know all of their reasons either so I can't assign blame.

I know that if Bert was leading the Canucks this deep right now I'd have major issuess with that. I not only have contempt for Bert but for all of the people who think he should have been allowed to play in these playoffs.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:26 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer

In the privacy of my own home, I'll tip my hat to them...once you get past all the BOA stuff, honestly they're a hard team to hate.

But it'll be a blizzard in HELL before I put a damn Flames flag on my car or wear a Flames jersey. That'd feel like I was cheering on an Ebola outbreak.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:20 AM
STINGRAAE

Canada's Team (NOT)

Hmmm, Last time I looked Canada's team wore a big maple-leaf on thier jersey's & they're color's were red/white/black & thier games were mostly played overseas & at the occasional Canada/World Cup here in North America.It's really sad that the NHL chose calgary as this year's Anaheim when they could've picked a team that actually has some kind of Tradition & usually makes the playoffs yearly not once every decade or so!!!

Old
05-31-2004, 04:15 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAAE
It's really sad that the NHL chose calgary as this year's Anaheim when they could've picked a team that actually has some kind of Tradition & usually makes the playoffs yearly not once every decade or so!!!
I'm an ABC'er for life but how did the NHL "choose" Calgary as this year's Anaheim?

Old
05-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Yesterday I was driving past a church that had this message on it's billboard:

"Jesus told us to love our enemies... GO FLAMES GO"

Old
05-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Master Lok

Canada's team my butt. As stingraee said, there's only one team Canada and that's the one with the Red Maple Leaf on (NOT BLUE). Its not just Calgary. Some of the other teams I would hate the most:

1) Calgary
2) Toronto
3) Montreal

I would probably cheer for Ottawa if they ever made it to the SCF. But otherwise, I don't buy the cheer Team Canada crap in the SCF, if I hated these teams during the regular season, why should I change my opinion during the playoffs?

That being said, I do respect the Flames for their accomplishments this season. But for those posters who are thinking that Sutter built the Flames overnight to be a Stanley Cup contender, get real and get off the bandwagon.

Are you telling me honestly that any team would want a first line of Gelinas - Conroy - Iginla over say... Sakic - Tanguary - Hedjuk? How many posters predicted that Kiprusoff would be the best goalie of the year and playoffs? Uh huh.

The bottom line is that the Flames caught Lightning in the bottle and are riding the wave. Its EXACTLY the same thing that Lowe is hoping for. Make the playoffs and then all bets are off. 8th, 1st, it doesn't matter.

Old
05-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Here in today's centre of the universe I had a Martin Gelinas sighting and Russian Mafia/70's porn star influenced stylings of Oleg Saprykn. Met and spoke briefly with Ray Farrero. Had to lament being an Oiler fan in the Sea of Red mania which has swept this city (and country).

All I can say is the 'Red Mile' must be experienced first-hand to be believed. I was in New Orleans the beginning of May which was nuts. 17th Avenue Calgary has been all of that!

Closed Thread