HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Meech...

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Derek Meech...

After failing miserably with the Ray Whitney proposal the other day I thought now might be the best time to try and redeem myself.

Derek Meech, captain of the Red Deer Rebels and Dion Phaneufs partner, is property of the Detroit Red Wings and word has it Lowe could be interested in his services.

Meech remains unsigned as of today and would re-enter the draft if not signed by the June 1 (same situation as JDD).

If he re-enters the draft is he a steal in the 3 + rounds? Would you guys want to add a player of his calibre to our defensive depth chart?

He played on the same team as Lynch and Woywitka in the past and he was a strong contributor at this past WJC. If Detroit signs him prior to the deadline and then wants to pull a deal would we be interested in o...say:

To Detroit: Jani Rita

To Edmonton: Derek Meech and a mid round pick

I personally am a big Meech fan and when I read on the trade rumors board that signed or not the Oilers will be inquiring about Meech's services come draft day I was pretty pumped.

What are your opinions on him? How he fits into our depth chart on D and if that acquision would further a trade involving one of Brewer/Smith/Staios?

Old
05-31-2004, 03:11 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I don't know that much of Meech but I would say that even if you take out our older d-men we still are pretty set there

Brewer - Semenov
Lynch - Woywitka
Greene - Bergeron

Gilbert

I think now is when we start trying to move depth for talent. I am not sure Meech would fit into that idea. I don't get the impression with what I have read of Meech that he is an up and coming superstar.

Last edited by s7ark: 05-31-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old
05-31-2004, 03:21 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

That's true s7ark.

Meech is not an up and coming superstar by any means but he will be a very useful #3/4 d-man at some point.

Looking at that youthful defensive depth chart, Meech might not fit in.

He would fit in somewhere between Woywitka and Greene as of now and he plays a similar game to Woywitka...not flashy but gets the job done. I like our situation on the back end and although one more solid prospect wouldn't hurt, it might not overly help.

I was thinking of drafting one of Meech/Lepisto with our 3rd round pick if either were available (considering we take 3 forwards or 2 forwards and a goalie with our first three picks) but now I am thinking more along the lines of another boom/bust forward prospect!!!

Old
06-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

No further comments...

On a related topic:

Nathan Paetsch was picked in the seventh round (pretty sure) by the Buffalo Sabres last year. Paetsch was a draft re-entry who garnered some attention and some even on this board considered him a late 2nd early 3rd round pick.

Paetsch by my first-hand accounts is quite similar to Meech with less of a physical presence but more offensive. Paetsch also had a pretty productive WJC last year and yet his stock fell if anything.

Taking this into account what are your opinions of Meech? His draft stock if he re-enters? How he could/would fit into the Oilers depth chart on D?

Closed Thread